PDA

View Full Version : Newspaper to clean windows

livingwater
Oct 25th, 2008, 11:15 AM
I found newspaper to work the best for cleaning my auto glass. The microfiber clothes were leaving lint.

What do you use?

Murr1525
Oct 25th, 2008, 11:18 AM
I use the cheap MF towels from Target. Vroom brand I think.

livingwater
Oct 25th, 2008, 11:23 AM
Do they scratch and/or leave lint?

Murr1525
Oct 25th, 2008, 11:25 AM
Well, I dont use them on my paint... But I dont seem to have any lint problems. I think I did get lint once, but not something that happens every time.

BigLouie
Oct 25th, 2008, 11:39 AM
I actually like the way newspaper cleans my windows. I haven't found anything I like better. I just hope I'm not hurting my glass.

gb387
Oct 25th, 2008, 12:31 PM
I bought some 'glass cleaning' (similar to a waffle weave) towels online a year or so ago and really have been happy on how they perform. IMO the best towel to use on glass.

Murr1525
Oct 25th, 2008, 12:33 PM
Newspaper wont hurt anything, its just if it cleans as well for you.

i pamper my corolla
Oct 25th, 2008, 12:34 PM
I find that newspapers leave behind ink on glass :scratchhead1

J. A. Michaels
Oct 25th, 2008, 03:08 PM
I use the glass microfibers from ads.

If I remember correctly, the effectiveness of newspaper is not what it use to be. Its having to do with the newspapers changing over to a soy based ink. (it is cheaper). Compared to what was used previous, the cleaning ability was somewhat compromised.

But if it works for you, go for it.

barry
Oct 25th, 2008, 05:01 PM
try washing microfiber towels if their new,that cured my lint problem.that seems to remove the excess lint

akimel
Oct 25th, 2008, 05:17 PM
I use the glass microfibers from ads.

I too like the special glass-cleaning microfiber towels from ADS (http://www.autodetailingsolutions.com/microfiber-window-glass-cleaning-towel.htm).

Mikejl
Oct 25th, 2008, 05:59 PM
I too like the special glass-cleaning microfiber towels from ADS (http://www.autodetailingsolutions.com/microfiber-window-glass-cleaning-towel.htm).
+1
These towels, combined with Meguiar's Glass Cleaner Concentrate always leave me with super clean, lint free windows. All my other MF's seem to leave lint behind.

Mike

RamAirV1
Oct 25th, 2008, 06:19 PM
I especially like to use newspapers in the winter, along with NXT glass cleaner, when cleaning salt spray off the windshield. Using newspaper really cuts down on the streaking!

If you use newspaper, use the black and white sections, not the color ads or comics.

RamAirV1

Erik Mejia
Oct 25th, 2008, 09:32 PM
After several attempts at making my glass streak free, I have come to the conclusion that a 100% Cotton Terry Towel with good nap is the way to go. Don't know if it's me, but some MF's tend to leave little fibers on my glass, which are only really visible under certain lighting conditions (especially at night.)

I personally don't care for the glass towels all that much because they seem to have to much drag against glass surfaces, which usually means the towels stays put, while the only thing that goes across the glass is my bare palm:scratchhead1. In my experience a good Cotton Terry's performs extremely well, and they can be found virtually anywhere. I'm still debating on useing one of the expensive egyptian thread count ones my girl hides from me when I tell her I'm going to clean my car. Try this out maybe it will work for you. If it doesn't then at least you can use the towel for other applications.

mac1589
Oct 27th, 2008, 11:36 AM
At work we use newpaper to clean windows. Works better than any kind of paper towel i've ever used. No streaks or nothing, just make sure you use the black and white pages unless you like color streaks.

For my personal car I use the glass towels from ADS and they work awsome.

Just my 2cents

Mike Phillips
Oct 27th, 2008, 11:59 AM
Here's something I added to page 4 of a similar thread...

http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17844&page=4

For what it's worth...

Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by moparman426 http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=252157#post252157)
nice another good way to get crystal clear windows is to use newspaper on them the ink and texture of the paper make a skreak free shine every time
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Just to note, Meguiar's doesn't endorse or recommend using newspaper for cleaning glass when there are better options available.

The newspaper recommendation is a method used and talked about but that doesn't make it a great way or even a good way to clean windows.

Newspapers are at their core paper paper that tends to be clean and dry and for the most part abundant and free if you know where to look and cheap to buy if you look at them as wiping cloths instead of information compared to paper towels.

It's completely possible that the entire "use newspaper to clean glass" recommendation came about because as an abundant, cheap/free source of clean, (not including the ink), dry paper towels of sorts, it could just be this is the accurate history behind why people use newspapers to clean and dry glass. Because newspaper is free and abundant, not because they're actually good at cleaning glass as compared to glass cleaning towels.

Does using newspapers to dry glass work? Yes. Is newspaper the best option for a wiping cloth? No. There are better wiping cloth options on the market even clean cotton towels work.

:)

gb387
Oct 27th, 2008, 12:56 PM
I have tried newspaper here and there and really never liked it.

Tim Lingor
Oct 27th, 2008, 02:45 PM
Here's something I added to page 4 of a similar thread...

http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17844&page=4

For what it's worth...

Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by moparman426 http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=252157#post252157)
nice another good way to get crystal clear windows is to use newspaper on them the ink and texture of the paper make a skreak free shine every time
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Just to note, Meguiar's doesn't endorse or recommend using newspaper for cleaning glass when there are better options available.

The newspaper recommendation is a method used and talked about but that doesn't make it a great way or even a good way to clean windows.

Newspapers are at their core paper paper that tends to be clean and dry and for the most part abundant and free if you know where to look and cheap to buy if you look at them as wiping cloths instead of information compared to paper towels.

It's completely possible that the entire "use newspaper to clean glass" recommendation came about because as an abundant, cheap/free source of clean, (not including the ink), dry paper towels of sorts, it could just be this is the accurate history behind why people use newspapers to clean and dry glass. Because newspaper is free and abundant, not because they're actually good at cleaning glass as compared to glass cleaning towels.

Does using newspapers to dry glass work? Yes. Is newspaper the best option for a wiping cloth? No. There are better wiping cloth options on the market even clean cotton towels work.

:)

Just to add, years ago, the newspaper was used for/after cleaning the windows as the type of ink used in the newspaper would add a gloss to the glass. This was an old car show trick to make the glass really sparkle. However, today's newspapers do not contain the same types of ink and therefore have lost the reason for using them on the glass as the newer inks do nothing for the glass. So I am with Mike: I would not use newspaper when better alternatives are around.

Tim

Skuz
Oct 29th, 2008, 04:03 PM
I never was satisfied with a MF on my windows. Lint and/or streaks, even those sold "specially for glass". Used newspapers for years, but now I tried a towel called "The Thief", and it sure seems very good.

XCELERATIONRULES
Oct 29th, 2008, 05:54 PM
I use paper towels,but have heard chalk board erasers work well removing streaks afterward.
I'm waiting to try it.

1BigBox
Nov 13th, 2008, 01:16 PM
I also use the glass towels. They work really well.

HemiMopar
Jan 2nd, 2009, 12:51 PM
I use some terry towels and a good glass cleaner. I like the SoftBuff and NXT together. One trick I learned is you can polish glass with a chrome polish. Use the same instructions as it says for chrome. Just don't use it on tinted glass unless the tint is inside the window.

RaskyR1
Jan 2nd, 2009, 12:58 PM
try washing microfiber towels if their new,that cured my lint problem.that seems to remove the excess lint

I have found, at least in my experience that if the towels are put in the dryer with the heat on, it will make the fibers brittle and they start to break off, leaving the tiny fibers behind. I have be very careful about drying my towels now and have not seen any fibers being left behind after at least 10-12 washes. :xyxthumbs

I like the towels Rick at ADS sells, I also think Huck Sergical towels work very well. Never tried newspaper though...

Rasky

seth1066
Jan 3rd, 2009, 03:35 AM
Agree there are better choices, but newspaper worked, at least according to legend, because the ink, at least the old style ink, contained an abrasive.

SHYNEMAN123
Jan 3rd, 2009, 05:26 AM
I found newspaper to work the best for cleaning my auto glass. The microfiber clothes were leaving lint.

What do you use?

When you wash your M/F add 3/4 cup white vinegar to wash cycle it will cut down on the lint, I don't know why but it works.A tip from a towl mfg I got a long time ago.

Fischer
Jan 3rd, 2009, 11:21 AM
I used to use new paper as well but i ended up using a new sheet after every window. Now I just spray a microfiber with some class cleaner, wipe down the window and take another mf and go over it to remove any smudges or whatever that would be left over.

blas
Jan 8th, 2009, 05:26 AM
i took that from other forum thread

FOLK LORE

Some people think they have magic formulas for window cleaning such as special cleaners or towels. Others subscribe to the theory that you do not need a window cleaning “towel” at all. These folks used to use newspaper to clean windows with very good results. Newspaper is very absorbent and lint free, and is virtually cost-free and plentiful. When a piece gets too saturated, simply grab a new sheet. It seemed to work well. There is a logical reason for this. The newsprint — the ink used on the newspaper — used to be kerosene based. Kerosene is a terrific cleaner. It also does not evaporate very easily, and people used to simply spray some water on a glass surface, wipe it clean with newspaper, and produce streak-free windows. However, the ink in newspaper is no longer kerosene based, so newspaper simply is not as effective as it used to be. Although it is very absorbent, it’s very difficult to hold and get flat surfaces to wipe across the glass. You generally need to “scrunch” the newspaper up in your hand, which makes it very easy to miss certain spots, like corners. These missed spots can be streaks, or dirt and haze that never gets fully cleaned off the surface. Newspaper is not a good choice for a window cleaning “towel.”

seth1066
Jan 8th, 2009, 07:09 AM
One reason and an obvious one, that cleaning interior windows is difficult is not how the cleaning chemistry is applied. The problem is that there is no effective way to rinse off the dirt and residue. Probably why the residue trapping MF towels work so well.

Fischer
Jan 8th, 2009, 09:11 AM
Wow, I did not know that Blas! Thanks for the info. :)

Tuck91
Jan 8th, 2009, 02:12 PM
i use the Vroom Microfibers from target, they seem to work well with glass and i wouldnt be comfortable using Supreme Shine microfibers for that purpose

Newport Viper
Jan 13th, 2009, 03:08 PM
I have used the Vroom towels from Target BUT, I got alot of lint from them. :(

97 Supra
Jan 16th, 2009, 12:04 PM
Pretty much everything leaves some kind of **** behind after cleaning the windows. I resort to buying new T-shirts and using them sometimes when I don't want to deal with lint problems.

I mean, I always have an interior detailing tool and dust brush handy all the time to clean up the aftermath. It's extra work, but once it's done I forget it was ever there.

WrightDetail
Mar 6th, 2009, 03:17 AM
MF towels for me and for the lint, wash in cold water and dry on med low in dryer, I catch the most in the lint filter this way.

stump
May 4th, 2009, 03:04 PM
my grandfather used to clean all the glass with newspaper and alcool, i tried this some times (when i have some newspaper around) and it works great. but microfibers with a proper glass cleaner (like meguiars) works as good and is easier to apply in my opinion.

SHYNEMAN123
May 4th, 2009, 03:33 PM
MF towels for me and for the lint, wash in cold water and dry on med low in dryer, I catch the most in the lint filter this way.

Add 1/2 cup white vinigar to wash , helps cut down the lint.

john m.
May 4th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Try the glass micro fibers from ADS they are great, I personally love them! and I have not had a lint problem with them either

Green Lantern
May 6th, 2009, 01:20 PM
LMAO I thought I was the only one who used newspaper, I back that up with a microfiber

:dancing2

JD09civic
May 15th, 2009, 10:45 AM
I also use the MF from Target for my windows. They work pretty good for me. I use them with armor all auto glass cleaner, (sorry, they didn't have any meguiars glass cleaner) its supposed to be streak free and ammonia safe, which it was. No lint and streak free windows...works great for me!

Eddie6th
May 22nd, 2009, 07:33 PM
not had any problem with microfibres personally.used to be be an old trick,cleaning glass with newspaper.don't know the science,but i think the ink gives your glass a darker,deeper reflection.Glass can be one of the hardest things to clean without leaving any smears: 'looks like crystal during the day--Drive home at night and you see loads of smears....AAAAgggh!

Imperiex
Jul 1st, 2009, 09:47 PM
I use the cheap MF towels from Target. Vroom brand I think.

I used Vroom before too. It was decently cheap to buy it. But, I gotta tell you all, I definitely prefer to use newspapers. I don't like to put the towels through any more than I have to because I want to make sure I don't wear them down to fast (limited budget here) and also because I am not 100% on cleaning them. Newspapers are easy, they're free (assuming you get the newspaper and have already read through it), and they don't streak at all. Definitely my preferred option.

daveschaub
Jul 24th, 2009, 01:32 AM
it costs less right? i heard that anything papery used in cleaning or wiping glasses works wonders to most!

Ravi_1992
Jul 24th, 2009, 02:00 AM
i use armour all glass cloths with windex it leaves no lint or streakes behind but news paper works wonders too and its totally safe :)

c5rick
Jul 24th, 2009, 11:27 AM
Not sure if this was already stated, but back in the day, newspapers worked great. Now most if not all, use a soy based ink and with that, the effectiveness has gone away.

rusty bumper
Jul 24th, 2009, 03:38 PM
At one time I used newspapers to clean my windshield with, but after a while I began to notice fine scratches in the glass.

JG_Detailing
Jul 24th, 2009, 03:43 PM
I usually use a microfiber towel ot a microfiber glass cleaning towel.

NiNe STaR SHiNe
Jul 25th, 2009, 11:08 AM
newspaper never did very much for me but then again I have ALWAYS had trouble cleaning glass even to this day, maybe need to get the right cleaner :poke

DailyDriver
Aug 22nd, 2010, 08:36 PM
newspaper never did very much for me but then again I have ALWAYS had trouble cleaning glass even to this day, maybe need to get the right cleaner :poke

Or the right light. Just when you think you have it licked the light changes and, "Oh, gosh darn it, where did that come from"?

Poki
Aug 23rd, 2010, 08:09 AM
Paper can and will eventually scratch glass. Never use paper products/tissues on your eyeglasses. Over the years I have tried many products. Meg's D120 Glass Cleaner is by far the best I have found, using MF towels to apply/remove. And since it dilutes 10:1 it's CHEAP.

BobbyG
Aug 23rd, 2010, 08:18 AM
I use Cobra Microfiber Glass towels I bought through Autogeek and there's no lint and they work exceptionally well. When they start to become soiled I wash them and once dry they're ready to use over and over.

therdrman
Jan 3rd, 2011, 07:32 PM
NEVER EVER use newspaper. your mf towels are probably of really bad quality. news paper leaves ink and actually leaves little scratches behind. go try a better quality mF towel. but dont use news paper EVER

DogParkGuy
Jan 11th, 2011, 07:58 AM
I can't believe the old wive's tale of using newspaper to clean windows still exists. Just try it once and you will see.

Tim Lingor
Jan 11th, 2011, 04:25 PM
Actually, I used it for years and it worked great. There are easier methods now-a-days and a lot less messy. But it did impart a great gloss to the glass.

Therdrman,

On a side note, I have never ever seen it scratch glass. Glass is so hard that for newspaper to scratch it, there must be heavy grit on the glass to start with. Even to remove mild hairline scratches in glass requires cerium oxide as no compound, not M105 or even M04 will remove scratches from glass. In fact, for years I have used M04 with a wool pad on a rotary to remove on the glass surface contaminants, but it will not remove scratches in glass.

Unlike with MF towels which have nap and can hopefully pick up some of the grit as you are cleaning the glass, newspaper does not have a nap. For that reason, I would never suggest using newspaper for cleaning really dirty glass. But for finishing glass after a wash per se, it did work very well.

However, today I use Meg's D120 Glass Cleaner from the Detailer Series and Meg's M9910 Ultimate Wipe towels. :)

Tim

CAShine
Jan 11th, 2011, 04:32 PM
I have heard of using newspaper to clean glass and it always intrigued me. I currently use a MF towel. I was thinking about using newspaper after I cleaned the glass with a MF towel to get rid of streaking. Does anyone know if this an effective method? Or is there a better method to get rid of streaking?

Tim Lingor
Jan 11th, 2011, 04:47 PM
I have heard of using newspaper to clean glass and it always intrigued me. I currently use a MF towel. I was thinking about using newspaper after I cleaned the glass with a MF towel to get rid of streaking. Does anyone know if this an effective method? Or is there a better method to get rid of streaking?

The best way I have found to remove streaking after cleaning the glass is to use a spritz of distilled water on a 100% cotton towel and go over the glass again. I picked this trick up from Kevin Brown and it works great! :)

The other trick I do is to use two different nap MF towels. I use a Meg's Supreme Shine to apply glass cleaner and do initial wipe off followed by a Meg's Ultimate Wipe or 3M Detailing Cloth to do the final wipe down. Again, if that does not do it, follow this with the cotton towel/distilled water trick above.

I hope that helps! :)

Tim

Poki
Jan 11th, 2011, 05:14 PM
I have a glass cleaning story! Couple years ago I tried Meg's Glass Cleaner, the clear one. It worked fine. Based on what I read on here, I tried D120 last summer. Absolutely thel BEST glass cleaner I ever used and I have tried most. I manage a small RV store in the winter and decided to try selling D120 in the Meg's spray bottles. So far in 3 months I have sold 80 bottles and the folks are raving about it. I mix the concentrate, bottle it and sell it for $6.95 a bottle and refills are $3.00. This is inside of a 5 Star RV resort with 1220 owner owned sites. People are actually talking this product up and recommending it to their friends. Many plan to stock up befor leaving next spring. I could sell at a higher price but the store is owned by the Owners' Association and operated on a non profit basis so everyone is happpy. In summary....this product is the BEST!!

CAShine
Jan 11th, 2011, 06:49 PM
The best way I have found to remove streaking after cleaning the glass is to use a spritz of distilled water on a 100% cotton towel and go over the glass again. I picked this trick up from Kevin Brown and it works great! :)

The other trick I do is to use two different nap MF towels. I use a Meg's Supreme Shine to apply glass cleaner and do initial wipe off followed by a Meg's Ultimate Wipe or 3M Detailing Cloth to do the final wipe down. Again, if that does not do it, follow this with the cotton towel/distilled water trick above.

I hope that helps! :)

Tim

Thanks Tim!
I will try using distilled water. Glass has been a weak point for me, so anything to change that is appreciated. :chuckle1

Tim Lingor
Jan 11th, 2011, 07:21 PM
Thanks Tim!
I will try using distilled water. Glass has been a weak point for me, so anything to change that is appreciated. :chuckle1

You are very welcome! :)

Truthfully, I HATE cleaning windows! :bawling1 Do you want to know what the funny part is...Kevin actually enjoys cleaning them! Now how sick is that! LOLOL :D

Tim

therdrman
Jan 11th, 2011, 07:24 PM
Actually, I used it for years and it worked great. There are easier methods now-a-days and a lot less messy. But it did impart a great gloss to the glass.

Therdrman,

On a side note, I have never ever seen it scratch glass. Glass is so hard that for newspaper to scratch it, there must be heavy grit on the glass to start with. Even to remove mild hairline scratches in glass requires cerium oxide as no compound, not M105 or even M04 will remove scratches from glass. In fact, for years I have used M04 with a wool pad on a rotary to remove on the glass surface contaminants, but it will not remove scratches in glass.

Unlike with MF towels which have nap and can hopefully pick up some of the grit as you are cleaning the glass, newspaper does not have a nap. For that reason, I would never suggest using newspaper for cleaning really dirty glass. But for finishing glass after a wash per se, it did work very well.

However, today I use Meg's D120 Glass Cleaner from the Detailer Series and Meg's M9910 Ultimate Wipe towels. :)

Tim

i just find newspaper a half way if you will. more like cutting corners instead of properly using a glass towel or a MF towel. but i guess its just personal preference. it just isnt for me.Scottwax4

Tuck91
Jan 11th, 2011, 07:35 PM
i just find newspaper a half assed way if you will. more like cutting corners instead of properly using a glass towel or a MF towel. but i guess its just personal preference. it just isnt for me.Scottwax4

How much experience do you have cleaning glass to a streak free finish again?

On a side note, I like using D120 and a terry or cotton cloth.

Tim Lingor
Jan 11th, 2011, 07:55 PM
i just find newspaper a half way if you will. more like cutting corners instead of properly using a glass towel or a MF towel. but i guess its just personal preference. it just isnt for me.Scottwax4

It is not cutting corners in any way. It is just a different means to an end. Is using a DA polisher instead of using a rotary buffer mean a person is cutting corners if they both achieve the same goal? No it's not; see what I mean...

Again, everyone has their opinion, but unless you have actually used it, do not knock until you try it! :)

Lastly, MOL is a family site, so let's ease up on the language please.

Tim

BillE
Jan 12th, 2011, 08:41 AM
Have to agree fully with Tim.

Been using newspaper for waaaay to many years, just make sure you use a clean (insert favorite toweling here) for a final wipe.

My 2 cents.

Bill

1996_Subaru_Impreza
Feb 2nd, 2011, 12:06 PM
Do they scratch and/or leave lint?

I had this problem with the microfibres that I was using. they were the ones made for polishing. So I brought a Microfibre that is designed for glass and it works very well I use for wiping the glass with the glass cleaner and the other for buffing off.
:worship

Detail
May 25th, 2011, 05:23 AM
Yea, the oils the are on the towels when they are new can cause streaking film. I also found that cleaning glass is somewhat of an art. The mix of your glass solution can play a factor too!! add more water to dilute whatever it is your using.

DogParkGuy
May 26th, 2011, 01:53 PM
The best cleaner I have found is using a wash mitt and Optimum No-rinse (ONR). Wipe the wndows and dry with a water magnet.

Guitar280Z
Feb 17th, 2013, 08:42 PM
I've been using the newspapers on my cars, windows and mirrors for years- since the 80s. Back then the had ink stained your hands, but now (at least most) don't use that any more. Just be sure to avoid the shiny papers with the department tore ads on it. You will save a fortune on microfibre towels by using the newspapers.

EXECMOBILE
Feb 18th, 2013, 07:38 AM
Microfiber towels from Target.

RandyBoone
May 16th, 2013, 02:21 PM
Hi,

Huck towels are by far the best thing to use on windows. They're made for hospitals to use during surgeries, so you know they don't leave any lint behind.

No matter what kind of towels you use, NEVER wash your window towels in any kind of soap at all. It's the soap residue that leaves the streaks and/or makes it hard to get the windows spotless. To wash your window towels always use just plain hot water and every second time you wash them add 2 cups of white vinegar to the water. The vinegar will break down proteins that get on the towels and make them come out looking and working like new again.

You can buy Huck towels for about 50 cents or a dollar each online, depending on where you buy them. Just go to google and search for Huck Towels and you'll easily find them. Shop around because I get mine for $6 a dozen for the 18 inch square ones. Some places (like amazon) will try to charge you as much as $10 for just 2 towels. Trust me, dig a little deeper and you'll find them for $6 a dozen, especially if you buy 10 dozen at a time like I do.

rusty bumper
May 16th, 2013, 05:51 PM
Hi,

Huck towels are by far the best thing to use on windows. They're made for hospitals to use during surgeries, so you know they don't leave any lint behind.

No matter what kind of towels you use, NEVER wash your window towels in any kind of soap at all. It's the soap residue that leaves the streaks and/or makes it hard to get the windows spotless. To wash your window towels always use just plain hot water and every second time you wash them add 2 cups of white vinegar to the water. The vinegar will break down proteins that get on the towels and make them come out looking and working like new again.

You can buy Huck towels for about 50 cents or a dollar each online, depending on where you buy them. Just go to google and search for Huck Towels and you'll easily find them. Shop around because I get mine for $6 a dozen for the 18 inch square ones. Some places (like amazon) will try to charge you as much as $10 for just 2 towels. Trust me, dig a little deeper and you'll find them for $6 a dozen, especially if you buy 10 dozen at a time like I do.

Is that those thin blue towels I see in medical facilities? If so, then I have one here, and I will put it to the test on some glass.

owendavidj
Dec 8th, 2013, 12:14 AM
Newspaper always leaves little white crumbs behind for me. I've recently never had a problem with microfiber towels. Any kind, cheap Walmart microfiber. I just spray very little (1/2 squirt) of cheap blue glass cleaner directly on the towel and wipe quickly letting the friction help evaporate the product. Streak free, no lint, just clean. For an"enhanced"crystal clear look I just apply some wax by hand and remove. Perfect windows every time.

Daniel Kinder
Dec 26th, 2013, 06:08 AM
I've read somewhere that the whole reason behind the news paper for cleaning glass was so good was because of the type of ink the they use to use had something in it that actually made the glass sparkle a trick the older cruize/show guys did but they did away with the ink for something else and now it's just stuck around and being handed down from generation to generation! I myself use meguiars D120 glass cleaner and a micro-fiber glass towel with great results and no streaks. Also this stuff smells fantastic and is great for removing water spots from chrome, aluminum rims or just a quick wipe down on your rims after polishing and counter tops in your home just a good all around cleaner!

seth1066
Dec 26th, 2013, 08:50 AM
I've read somewhere that the whole reason behind the news paper for cleaning glass was so good was because of the type of ink the they use to use had something in it that actually made the glass sparkle a trick the older cruize/show guys did but they did away with the ink for something else and now it's just stuck around and being handed down from generation to generation! I myself use meguiars D120 glass cleaner and a micro-fiber glass towel with great results and no streaks. Also this stuff smells fantastic and is great for removing water spots from chrome, aluminum rims or just a quick wipe down on your rims after polishing and counter tops in your home just a good all around cleaner!

The ink formula used by news printers has changed just in the last 10-15 years. The formula prior to that had an abrasive quality which was the component that cleaned the windows so well. The D120 glass cleaner is my fav also.

DanielTan
Mar 2nd, 2014, 09:00 PM
Personally for me, I use Meguiars Perfect Clarity Glass Cleaner with a Meguiars Water Magnet Cloth. It is easy to use and it spread the product evenly, flip the towel to the dryer portion for a final wipe. It produces clear and streak free result without lint...juts sharing..;);)

KIA HYBRID
Apr 15th, 2014, 11:00 PM
you can't use newpaper with color ink..the best is plain newpaper(black and white(gray)..

himilcyclr
Sep 4th, 2014, 10:37 PM
I had forgotten all about using NP to clean windows. When growing up... or getting older, washing the car was a family operation. Cleaning the windows was always done with NP. I will have to give it a go now and see how I like or dislike the job it does. Either way, thanks for the memory jog!

Bestonlinedeals
Nov 14th, 2014, 01:03 AM
Hi,
I also use newspaper to clean window glasses, but when it has more dust or tough stains I use microfiber or sometimes a mixture of detergent or warm water then window cleaner squeegee. It provides good results.

johnny87
Dec 7th, 2014, 10:21 PM
Hi,

Me too used to use newspapers to clean glass, be it windows or glass panels until I found Microfiber cloths.

rookie1
Mar 29th, 2015, 12:51 PM
I found that newspaper was too messy. MF towels do a great job for me, as long as I use Meguiar's glass cleaner.

MicrofiberMan
Sep 18th, 2016, 03:31 AM
i use megs perfect clarity with this new tool i just bought called stoners glass reaching tool, something like that, it works great on the inside front. idk no matter what i use theres always some specs that wont come out, the're like chips or something