PDA

View Full Version : How often do you wax your favorite car?

akimel
Oct 29th, 2008, 06:03 PM
Okay, friends. Time to 'fess up. How often do you wax your favorite car? Do you like to wrap your arms around your car and wax it frequently, or do you try to eek out that last week, that last day, that last minute of protection? Do you wax your car because you see that it needs it, or do you wax it because you want to keep it it looking at its very best? Which is more important to you, beauty or durability?

ColonelCash
Oct 29th, 2008, 06:36 PM
I'm saying once every 2 months...that has been an average for the last 5 or 6 years. Now that my car was just repainted last month and it now has a garage to call home, it might be every few weeks. I've wanted a garage for YEARS and now I finally get one, so excited!

davey g-force
Oct 29th, 2008, 06:40 PM
Every two months here too.

I like to wax for both shine and protection, but I usually re-apply before the previous layer has worn off, so that probably means I do it for "beauty" more than protection. Scottwax4

JTOWN
Oct 29th, 2008, 07:12 PM
to who ever votes once a year, ur not dedicated enough and those who do it every week, seriously you are obsessed...

jatee
Oct 29th, 2008, 07:25 PM
im a once a month for wax but wash all the time. i do have a winter truck so i am lucky enough not to have to drive them in snow and road salt.

GoodKarmaGuy
Oct 29th, 2008, 07:31 PM
Try to do it once every three months. I've only put 1000 miles on my care this year and it's always parked inside.

Mark Kleis
Oct 29th, 2008, 08:38 PM
I spray wax probably once a week, sometimes 2 times, sometimes I miss it for a week or so.

I do a legitimate paste or liquid wax application probably once every 2 months. I Last Touch, followed by UQD every other day on average.

Needless to say, it's not often you see me cruisin' without some obscene amount of shine around me :D

Mr Mustang
Oct 29th, 2008, 08:44 PM
once every three or four months, because she sits outside...and I know she'll be dirty soon. If I had a garage it would probably be alittle more often, I realize that may sound backwards

JTOWN
Oct 29th, 2008, 09:29 PM
once every three or four months, because she sits outside...and I know she'll be dirty soon. If I had a garage it would probably be alittle more often, I realize that may sound backwards

I presume you mean, it becomes easier when you have a garage and you know ur work it not going to waste???

J. A. Michaels
Oct 30th, 2008, 01:36 AM
I checked every 2 months. Got to get it early before there is no protection on it.

angeloabbattista
Oct 30th, 2008, 01:53 AM
Because my car is in the elements 99% of the time I paste was #26 every month and use x-press wax after weekly washes when I can.

christian6984
Oct 30th, 2008, 02:36 AM
id say every 2 months on my car, and 3 months on our others.

Mikejl
Oct 30th, 2008, 04:47 AM
I'm waxing every 3 weeks right now because my car is still new and I enjoy getting out there and polishing it. I think I will probably level off at about once a month down the road.

Mike

gjohn28
Oct 30th, 2008, 05:24 AM
Have been doing full 5-Step twice a year by hand. Now, with new G110 hope to stay after it every couple of months - weather permitting...

eric_son
Oct 30th, 2008, 09:29 PM
For me it depends on the season. If it's sunny and dry, I wax every month or two.
If it's the rainy season, I wax every week. :)

RaskyR1
Oct 31st, 2008, 08:04 AM
Well if I have the time I will wax every other wash, so it usually ends up being every two weeks or so. Weather plays a big role in it too. :wavey

markymo01
Oct 31st, 2008, 09:32 AM
So from what I'm reading so far, it is anywhere from one to three months before waxing again. If I wash my car every week and my car is parked in the garage at night, is it safe to say my NXT 2.0 paste wax will most likely last at least a month (protection)?

Thanks

akimel
Oct 31st, 2008, 02:50 PM
Marky, under the conditions you specify, I think it is safe to say that NXT is going to last a lot longer than four weeks.

markymo01
Nov 1st, 2008, 08:48 AM
Thanks Akimel!

EPHIOS
Nov 5th, 2008, 05:49 PM
I wax my car once every two weeks, to keep it shiny and well protected!

irf@n
Nov 26th, 2008, 02:54 AM
Every month, using Meguiars Cleaners Paste Wax...

But next time I want to buy NXT...

benhui86
Dec 4th, 2008, 09:05 PM
I get very lazy during winter months so like once every 3 months during winter and once a month during summer.... i hate the cold....

woblynne
Dec 27th, 2008, 12:38 AM
I tend to wax once to twice a year but the car is maintained with QD periodically. I probably do less than 2000 miles a year, doesnt come out in the wet and its always kept in a garage.
Mark

indigo s10
Jan 4th, 2009, 12:37 PM
Hand wax once a month. Touch up wax every other week. Clay and polish twice a year(no garage, my stuff sits outside:bawling1). I go offroad too, so a little extra protection, goes a long way.

Bert31
Jan 15th, 2009, 02:02 PM
Outside of winter, I try to seal my car every 2-3 months. During the winter I will apply another layer just about any time the temperature gets above 40 degrees to add more protection from the salt. Sometimes that gap in time is two weeks, sometimes two months. Depends on Mother Nature. I have often been told sealants don't bond well under 40 degree weather. Not sure if it is true but I generally stick with it.

Tuck91
Feb 11th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Once a month for me, i like doing it. As soon as i get M21 i will be hooked on that and wax even more often

3Fitty
Feb 12th, 2009, 11:13 AM
I put on 48 layers (one a day) for 48 straight days, then I take two days off and start again. ;)

Actually... about once a month, although I hit it with NXT Spray wax at least once every two weeks.

gjohn28
Feb 12th, 2009, 04:42 PM
I put on 48 layers (one a day) for 48 straight days, then I take two days off and start again. ;)

Actually... about once a month, although I hit it with NXT Spray wax at least once every two weeks.

Once a month in Toronto during the winter? You must have a nice heated garage...:D

3Fitty
Feb 12th, 2009, 05:31 PM
Once a month in Toronto during the winter? You must have a nice heated garage...:D

I should have said that with an asterisk. Once a month on average, but less in the winter, although we did get up to 50 yesterday so it was easily "waxing weather" without the need of a heated garage.

Tuck91
Mar 10th, 2009, 06:40 PM
now that i have Ultimate Quik Wax, i like to use it after each wash, but i still do a base coat of M21 2.0 or NXT 2.0 once a month

Robby144
Mar 10th, 2009, 09:20 PM
Mine is once a month because its never driven. She sits in the garage and rarely ever makes it past the driveway.

Hemin8r
Mar 11th, 2009, 12:51 PM
I went with every 3 months since it sits under a carport. Oh and it get's clayed prior to the coat of wax.

supercharged
Mar 20th, 2009, 12:59 AM
once every 2-3 months...with 3 cars in a family that's often enough...

Ganesa
Mar 27th, 2009, 04:10 AM
I like to wax my car by hand once every two-three weeks, its a daily driven car that sits out in the sun and the rain pretty often here in Indonesia..
and I just can't get enough of the look of a newly waxed car.. :]

cazzy160344
Apr 1st, 2009, 05:07 PM
I don't have a garage so the car sits outside 24/7 (unfortunately!) so I wax it once every 2 months. I wash it every week but have been thinking about increasing the waxing to once every month.

Ganesa
Apr 1st, 2009, 06:46 PM
my car also sits outside for the most of 24/7.. i wax it twice a month.. i think of it as a weekend routine workout in the morning or afternoon.. hehe

cazzy160344
Apr 1st, 2009, 07:52 PM
my car also sits outside for the most of 24/7.. i wax it twice a month.. i think of it as a weekend routine workout in the morning or afternoon.. hehe

Oh! Do you find much benefit in waxing it twice a month? As mentioned above I was thinking of increasing it to once a month...but seeing as you wax it twice a month perhaps that is what I should be doing...?

Ganesa
Apr 2nd, 2009, 06:31 AM
i do it twice a month as I just have the urge and habit of maintaining my car every weekend cleaning the interior so I give another layer of wax because i like the smooth look of a waxed car, and also because it rains at least 3 days a week here in Indonesia... but i guess once a month would be fine..

akimel
Apr 2nd, 2009, 07:08 AM
Oh! Do you find much benefit in waxing it twice a month? As mentioned above I was thinking of increasing it to once a month...but seeing as you wax it twice a month perhaps that is what I should be doing...?

Cazzy, you simply need to find a routine that works for you. If the two month schedule works for you, then you should stick with it. You are way ahead of what most people do.

Why might you consider waxing more frequently? Three reasons come to mind. First, to restore that "just waxed" look--always a good reason. Second, to restore protection that is breaking or has broken down--another good reason. And finally, because the waxer simply finds waxing enjoyable and therapeutic--who can argue against emotional health and well-being?

What wax/sealant are you presently using? You mentioned that you are already washing your car weekly, which is commendable. Again, you are way ahead of most people. You might consider using Ultimate Quik Wax (http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/detail/MEG+G17516) after every other wash. It's supposed to be very easy to apply and will not add a lot of time to your process. You could then apply your regular wax every two months as you are presently doing. And you could still start waxing every month if you really want to.

Find a regimen that works for you and have fun! :xyxthumbs

cazzy160344
Apr 2nd, 2009, 05:36 PM
Hey Akimel, you pretty much nailed the reasons as to why I would want to wax more frequently (MOL members are too knowledgeable!!)

At the moment I'm using NXT Tech Wax 2.0 and I find it fantastic! I was considering using UQW after each wash for the reasons you mentioned above so I think I will do this and see how it goes.

Thanks buddy!

Honda Fit
Apr 21st, 2009, 08:08 PM
I park outside next to bushes and trees, so I have to clay and wax quite often. I'd say once every two months at the least.

Andy M.
Apr 21st, 2009, 08:18 PM
As often as I can!:D

Andy M.

glubash
May 2nd, 2009, 02:31 PM
Let's see, the last time I was sometime in 1997. I think. So, approximately 12 years, four vehicles (two used, two new, not counting the wife's car), and counting. Since I just bought a new car so there is about a 1 in 50 chance that I'll wax it this year.

akimel
Jun 11th, 2009, 07:33 PM
Have you voted yet?

Solipsist
Jun 12th, 2009, 03:26 AM
oops, in my sleepy state i read it as wash not wax, so minus one off the every week total, my bad! :nervous1

Mark Kleis
Jun 12th, 2009, 03:47 AM
Let's see, the last time I was sometime in 1997. I think. So, approximately 12 years, four vehicles (two used, two new, not counting the wife's car), and counting. Since I just bought a new car so there is about a 1 in 50 chance that I'll wax it this year.

Do you wash them? :nervous1

Having a fresh coat of wax makes maintaining the finish much, much easier and saves time washing and drying if you do it yourself.

On most cars, a clean and waxed surface also yields 1% better MPG too :D (Seriously)

Eddie6th
Jun 13th, 2009, 03:07 PM
Dear oh dear,I hit the wrong one :doh:smashpc

For me 3-4 times a year.I can get 3+ months from Meg's carnauba!!! (Not Garaged).

M C
Jun 13th, 2009, 06:20 PM
I'm not a fanatic but like to keep the car clean. Wash every week and wax every two to three months. A clean car is a happy car :chuckle1

M C

dope92cc
Aug 10th, 2009, 10:27 PM
My favorite car has terrible paint. I imagine bimonthly waxing once it's black and looking HHHOT!

Calais
Sep 14th, 2009, 03:53 PM
I wax every one or two months, depending on whether or not I have time. I wash my car once a week and top off my protection with UQW after every wash and UQD every now and then.

davey g-force
Sep 14th, 2009, 06:12 PM
^^ That sounds exactly like my routine! :xyxthumbs

Kornercarver
Oct 28th, 2009, 04:07 PM
I usually wax my car once a month. The wife's minivan gets waxed about every 3 months.

felixtibs
Nov 19th, 2009, 09:41 PM
i wash every 2 weeks and I use UQD to do a "mini wash" on the other week followed with UQW.

Is everyone using the squeek test or the water bead test? They say you need to wax when UQD doesnt come off easy

davey g-force
Nov 20th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Is everyone using the squeek test or the water bead test? They say you need to wax when UQD doesnt come off easy

I always use the squeak test.

But do it after you wash and before you UQD/UQW. :xyxthumbs

Garage Troll
Nov 29th, 2009, 03:12 PM
About once a month or month and a half. In the winter it may be a bit less and more often in the summer months.

dave_from_here
Jan 2nd, 2010, 09:43 AM
I answered 0nce evry two weeks but that's an average because in the winter I don't wax it and in the summer I wax it every week lol.

aris
Apr 26th, 2010, 06:22 AM
Twice a year for me..once in the spring and once in the fall before winter

Bill Davidson
Aug 7th, 2010, 09:45 PM
I've never thought about it. I have a car a truck and a bike and then I have to take care of the girlfriend's car and bike. So basically... when I get a chance.

I might need to hang a white board and make a waxing schedule.:chuckle1 I have a hard enough time remembering when I last changed the oil.

lexterminator
Aug 8th, 2010, 07:58 PM
I would have to say about once every 2 months on an average since I'm caught with the tough Quebec winter and the fact that I don't have a garage. I usually don't wax between late Nov and early March. During that time every time it goes above approx 40F I wash the car with a Wash\Wax soap and detail it with something like Pinnacle Crystal Mist and that usually happends 3 - 4 time during those 3 months. I find the wax not really sticking in cold weather.

For the rest of the year I probably wax the car (just wash then wax) approx every 5-6 weeks on an average. Twice a year for a clay-polish-wax.

My daily car (Caddy CTS black Raven non metallic) always stays outside, gets a beating in winter time with salt, sand, ice. I manage to keep the car in very good shape but I learned to live with minor scratches and swirls but they only show up in direct sunlight and when looking closely at the car.

AeroCleanse
Aug 9th, 2010, 03:32 PM
Can't say that I have waxed it ever. I prefer paint sealants for my own car. Right now my car has Aquartz on it, which will last around 2 years or more.

Ravi_1992
Aug 10th, 2010, 01:38 AM
Another vote for once every two months, never want to risk there being no wax on the car especially with the hot weather were getting this summer

sysbo
Dec 10th, 2010, 08:08 AM
I wax my car once every two months, and use spray wax once a week after wash

STRIFE
Dec 11th, 2010, 12:20 PM
I usually clay & wax twice a yr with paste wax, once around Oct and once around March.
I wash once a week (sometimes 2wks) and usually finish up with UQW every other wash....maybe I will add an extra base waxing in mid summer?

therdrman
Feb 26th, 2011, 08:04 PM
i wax my car every second i will wax it . take off the wax and re wax... haha im joking. once a month

scottphys
Feb 26th, 2011, 10:12 PM
Like many, full wax job every couple of months or sooner if needed. Spray wax weekly after a weekly wash (again unless needed sooner).

My big question is how often do you clay and polish? I LOVE the results but with two cars, limited time, and a bad back, I tend to drag my feet on that. Of course, once you clay or polish, you're committed to waxing too! I'll do this a couple times a year. Is that close to other's experience???

Albert87
Feb 27th, 2011, 03:08 AM
for me!

Ultimate Wash n wax every Friday

Ultimate Quickdetailer done when needed! (2 a 3 times a week)

Waxing with NXT Tech wax 2.0 ad the end of every month

2K RED paint so for the summers i do it more a bit more!
so it don't gets a chance to turn white again but actually with Megs stuff i don't really need to worry about it

The Swedish Detailer
Feb 27th, 2011, 03:42 AM
I apply NXT 2.0 once a month then every week spray with UQW this keeps the deep shine on my vehicle that i like.I might be what you call obssesed that's what the wife say's,but it makes me happy.

akimel
Feb 27th, 2011, 07:44 AM
My big question is how often do you clay and polish?

I usually clay our vehicles twice a year.

THERAPY
Feb 27th, 2011, 11:30 AM
I wax my car every wash) washing 2-4 times a week) I'm a maniac))

lazers
Aug 12th, 2012, 01:46 AM
Just got a new car and have a 3M Paste Wax. I will check but i was thinking of applying wax at least once a week or twice a week. Its very hot here and during day time my car is out in the open and the sun is just too hot with around 45 centigrade outside.

davey g-force
Aug 12th, 2012, 01:31 PM
^^ Wow, that seems like a lot of waxing. You may want to consider waxing once per month and using UQW every week.

c5errr
Oct 21st, 2012, 08:02 AM
since i bought my car i didnt do a full correction because i didnt have time and actually did a few customer cars and at that time i was washing the car once a week and waxing it once a month
but finally i had the chance of doing it i spent more than 16 hours and still didnt finish it im just waiting for (air flow coupler) to install and then ill wash the engine
so what i already done is
wash - gold class
clean - XMT clay
correction - uc - light cutting ccs
polishing - swirlx - polishing ccs
shine - up - finishing ccs
ultimate wax
another coat of ultimate the other day
1 coat of liquid gold class
this thursday will do 1 coat of gold class paste - and thats it

and i have photographed almost every thing and once i finish ill post it

W211E320
Feb 2nd, 2013, 08:52 AM
Twice a year:UC, UP and - Ultimate Liquid Wax
Once a week for minimum: SWG, GCS, UQD and - Ultimate Quick Wax - or Ultimate Wash And Wax Anywhere

JG_Detailing
Feb 2nd, 2013, 03:09 PM
I wax my car once a month. And in between waxing I use the spray wax.

ffboy
Jun 5th, 2013, 01:16 AM
I wax once every 2 months, this may include spray wax and instant detailers... Now it may become more of a regular thing, rainy season is coming as of this writing...