PDA

View Full Version : The secret to applying Ultimate Quik Wax

Mike Phillips
Nov 14th, 2008, 08:33 AM
The secret to applying Ultimate Quik Wax (http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28577)

Apply to clean vehicle
First you need to start with a clean car, you can either wash and dry the car or wipe the car clean using a mist and wipe product like Quik Detailer or Ultimate Quik Detailer.

Use a dampened microfiber polishing cloth or wax applicator pad
Next you mist Ultimate Quik Wax onto the surface and spread the product around using a clean, plush microfiber polishing cloth folded 4-ways, or a clean wax applicator pad and here's the secret, before starting first dampen your microfiber polishing cloth or wax applicator pad with Ultimate Quik Wax.

Apply to entire vehicle
Start at one section of the vehicle and continue applying Ultimate Quik Wax using your dampened applicator pad or dampened microfiber polishing cloth until the entire car is covered with a thin coating of wax.

Allow the thin coating of Ultimate Quik Wax to flash dry.
In normal temperatures and humidity, Ultimate Quik Wax will dry in just a few moments and will be ready to wipe off.

Follow your path of travel
Wipe off the dried wax by starting where you first applied the product and then follow your path of travel gently and carefully wiping the dried residue off the paint. Use a separate, clean dry microfiber polishing cloth folded 4 ways to remove the dried film of wax. Using a microfiber polishing cloth folded 4-ways provides a thick plush wiping cloth that helps to spread the pressure of your hand out over the surface of the cloth and gives you 8 sides to wipe with.

The secret explained
The reason a dampened cloth or applicator pad works best is because it's easier to spread out a thin liquid film if your applicator cloth is already wet or damp with the product you're trying to spread out.

If you use a dry cloth to try to spread out a thin, liquid film then at the same time you're trying to spread the product onto the surface the dry cloth is trying to remove or absorb the product off the paint.

Because a dry cloth absorbs liquids, trying to use a dry cloth to spread a liquid will in essence result in you fighting yourself in the process of trying to spread and leave a liquid on the paint.

That's the secret or the correct technique for making it easy to apply a thin coating of a spray-on wax.

Make sense? :thinking1

We hope this clarifies how to properly use Ultimate Quik Wax. :xyxthumbs

G17516 Ultimate Quik Wax
http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/data/809/small_G17516_UltiQuikWax.jpg

Nappers
Nov 14th, 2008, 09:03 AM
Priming the pad eh?

Makes perfect sense, can't wait to try it, never used a spray wax before.

yalerd
Nov 14th, 2008, 11:43 AM
Nice tip!

J. A. Michaels
Nov 14th, 2008, 03:47 PM
Thanks for the heads up.

gb387
Nov 14th, 2008, 06:38 PM
huh... you learn something new every day. I have never cared for a spray wax but I will have to give it a try with this method, maybe thats part of the problem for me? --- well that is if this tip applies to all spray waxes?

Jeepster04
Dec 12th, 2008, 09:11 AM
The secret to applying Ultimate Quik Wax (http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28577)

Apply to clean vehicle
First you need to start with a clean car, you can either wash and dry the car or wipe the car clean using a mist and wipe product like Quik Detailer or Ultimate Quik Detailer.

So can you use this while drying?

Mike Phillips
Dec 12th, 2008, 09:39 AM
well that is if this tip applies to all spray waxes?

Yes as explained here,

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3317

Right under this picture...

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/2SpreadingNXTTechWaxUP1.jpg

The reason this method works is because once you have dampened one side with wax, you now have a wax-moistened surface that spreads and applies wax like the foam applicator pad. If you try to continually switch to a new, dry side, the cloth will tend to adsorb your product while your trying to spread it out and thus you will feel like you're fighting yourself while trying to spread the product out.
Here's another way of saying the above,

The reason trying to apply and spread-out a spray-on wax with a dry cloth doesn't work is because at the same time you're trying to spread-out the product, the dry cloth is trying to absorb the product off the paint, in essence you're fighting yourself.

By using a cloth or applicator pad of some type of material that is pre-dampened with the same product, then because the applicator is already pre-dampened or wet with the product, it won't be trying to absorb the product you're trying to spread-out off the surface as you're trying to spread it out.

Make sense?

So can you use this while drying?

Another way of stating that question so that everyone understands would be to say,

Can you use this on a wet car?

As in,

Can you spray this on a wet car and then wipe both it and the water off at the same time?

I have not seen the application directions for this product yet but in most cases applying a wax to a wet car is not the optimum way to use this type of product or to get best results. Best results will be achieved if you apply this product to a clean, dry finish.

:)

Racersky
Dec 19th, 2008, 05:43 AM
where can i buy one of these ultimate quik wax? I went to walmart and all they had was quik detail

Mikejl
Dec 19th, 2008, 07:07 AM
UQW isn't available at stores or online yet. It is a new 2009 product. Check out this link (http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28360)for more information. :)

Mike

Gabe007
Jun 26th, 2009, 12:54 PM
I understand the process described on this thread for applying the Ultimate Quik Wax using a damp cloth.

My question is, do you do the Mr. Miyagi circular wipes when spreading the wax or do I wipe and spread the wax in one direction? Does it matter?

The picture above (the lady with the black car) is spreading the liquid using the "circular" motion. I was thinking of spreading the liquid by starting from the front and then to the back (in small sections of course).

Tuck91
Jun 26th, 2009, 03:04 PM
I use it like a mist and wipe product.

02zx9r
Jun 27th, 2009, 04:09 AM
As do I, it is super easy.

akimel
Jun 27th, 2009, 06:43 AM
Of related interest: How do YOU apply Ultimate Quik Wax? (http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34157)

R0N1N
Aug 23rd, 2009, 10:02 AM

Apply to entire vehicle
Start at one section of the vehicle and continue applying Ultimate Quik Wax using your dampened applicator pad or dampened microfiber polishing cloth until the entire car is covered with a thin coating of wax.

Allow the thin coating of Ultimate Quik Wax to flash dry.
In normal temperatures and humidity, Ultimate Quik Wax will dry in just a few moments and will be ready to wipe off.

Well, I've used UQW today for the first time and found that there is no way I could allow it to dry (and, in fact, it dried in no time) on the surface as it left nasty streaks which were quite a pain to remove. The method which worked best for me was to apply the product to one panel at a time using a damp applicator pad and then immediately wipe it off using a microfiber towel. After figuring that out, I can admit that UQW is a great product both in terms of ease of use and the result it gives.

JLMex
Oct 12th, 2009, 10:23 PM
I'm also with R0N1N, there is no way you can apply the product in the entire car before starting to wipe out. The product will "flash dry" as Mike also stated.
Also, I have a newbie question: is this a replacement for a regular paste/liquid wax application? Or is just a "in-between" waxes thing? I mean, is usually recommended to wax your car at least every 2 months, so how often could I safely use the UQW ? Once a month? after every car wash?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Murr1525
Oct 12th, 2009, 10:30 PM
I use it after every wash.

rmatamorz
Jan 29th, 2010, 12:21 PM
thanks for the tip, I imagine that this technique can be use also with the ultimate detailer, and how about the liquid cleaner wax?

Murr1525
Jan 29th, 2010, 12:29 PM
Ultimate Detailer, yes. THere is nothing to come back around and wipe off if needed of course.

No, the cleaner/waxes dont realy work that way. Best to use the foam applicator, working them in a bit. Then let them sit and dry, and remove with a cloth.

Michael Stoops
Jan 29th, 2010, 01:19 PM
Have any of you tried using UQW as part of your drying process?

Give the car a final rinse with a steady stream of water to sheet the majority of beaded water off the surface. As you go to dry each section, spray some UQW on the panel and then wipe dry with a Water Magnet. Continue around the vehicle as you dry - no streaking at all, just a bright crisp shine. Works beautifully! :dp:

Tuck91
Jan 29th, 2010, 01:48 PM
Have any of you tried using UQW as part of your drying process?

Give the car a final rinse with a steady stream of water to sheet the majority of beaded water off the surface. As you go to dry each section, spray some UQW on the panel and then wipe dry with a Water Magnet. Continue around the vehicle as you dry - no streaking at all, just a bright crisp shine. Works beautifully! :dp:

I do this for all my weekly wash customers. The beading does last quite a long time too.

accuracy
Sep 7th, 2010, 06:15 PM
sorry for awakening an old thread, but i had a noob question.

Do you apply the product on like in the same fashion as regular wax.
ie: circular motions.

Murr1525
Sep 7th, 2010, 06:55 PM
Whatever motion fits the panel.

Michael Stoops
Sep 8th, 2010, 07:16 AM
sorry for awakening an old thread, but i had a noob question.

Do you apply the product on like in the same fashion as regular wax.
ie: circular motions.

Since you'll most likely be applying this with a folded microfiber towel (with a spray product like this a towel really is the fastest and easiest method) your motions will be more like when you're using a quick detail spray.

Mike Phillips recommended applying to the entire car before wiping off, but you can also use this product very similarly to the way you use UQD, except you want the surface clean of dust first.

gjsydney
Oct 15th, 2010, 06:14 AM
Makes Sense! Can't wait to try!

smack
Oct 15th, 2010, 06:53 AM
Great tip! Cant wait to try this weekend!

tsı_dsg
Nov 16th, 2010, 11:48 AM

Use a dampened microfiber polishing cloth or wax applicator pad
Next you mist Ultimate Quik Wax onto the surface and spread the product around using a clean, plush microfiber polishing cloth folded 4-ways, or a clean wax applicator pad and here's the secret, before starting first dampen your microfiber polishing cloth or wax applicator pad with Ultimate Quik Wax.

What did you mean by microfiber polishing cloth? Does this is a Meguiar's Supreme Shine Microfiber Towel or can it be any towel or anything else :confused:??

Murr1525
Nov 16th, 2010, 12:03 PM
Yes, a general purpose MF cloth would be appropriate.

The Supreme Shine or Ultimate Wipe from Meguiars could be used, and other brands make good towels too.

You would not want something like a waffle weave MF drying cloth, such as the Water Magnet.

Albert87
Mar 25th, 2011, 11:56 AM
Thats why my attemps fail and even ruins the whole car ! i bought a woulde cradle of UQW . and i was just like what did i do wrong!

thats what i like about Meguiars works smart not hard! and so clear in helping ther customers! so people like us can help thers no wodner you guys exist so long ;) 100+ years is not something normal these days!! gonna work it out people!

:thankyou1

accord2011black
Nov 29th, 2011, 03:08 AM
if i will use the ultimate quik detailer first, how long should i wait before applying the ultimate quik wax?

Mike Phillips
Nov 29th, 2011, 05:51 AM
Yes as explained here,

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3317

Right under this picture...
http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/2SpreadingNXTTechWaxUP1.jpg

Just to note, the above picture of my daughter's hand actually made it into my first how-to book on page 113, you can see my son on page 49 working on the Batmobile when we did the Extreme Makeover on it here at Meguiar's Training Garage.

What did you mean by microfiber polishing cloth? Does this is a Meguiar's Supreme Shine Microfiber Towel or can it be any towel or anything else :confused:??

Good question!

I've trained myself to always refer to microfiber cloths as towels... not sure why I used to use the term cloth or cloths... but yes, in this how-to article the goal was to show people how to spread out a thin layer of a spray-on wax using a folded microfiber towel with one side dampened with the product.

By doing it this way you didn't fight yourself during the process and thus you will have a better experience and get better performance and results from the product.

:)

Michael Stoops
Nov 29th, 2011, 07:47 AM
if i will use the ultimate quik detailer first, how long should i wait before applying the ultimate quik wax?
No need to wait at all. Get the dust off with UQD and then immediately follow with UQW if you so desire.

yfwong
Apr 24th, 2013, 12:47 AM
Thanks for the tips, all the while I am using 1 MF only with the UQW, now I learn to dampen it before start, and another MF to wipe it dry.

Bostonstrong
Apr 29th, 2013, 11:00 PM
UQW is incredible stff i have used it for years, i use it on my windows , taillights , breaklights, bumpers, i personally think it works better then any window cleaner out there

plus you get the beading of water when it rains , i do NOT however use it on the windshield as it may fog and then it becomes a safety issue, i use it on the back window

thoughi only started using the UQW because someone on here uses it and i tried it one day and i never used another window cleaner again , i have always used the

microfiber towel when its dry it never dawned on me to use it damp i will DEFINITELY try that , this site is rediculous - :nicethread , outstanding actually ! !

faridhasni
Aug 3rd, 2015, 05:26 AM
Can i use uqw after uww? Please advise

Michael Stoops
Aug 3rd, 2015, 06:48 AM
Can i use uqw after uww? Please advise
You sure can, not a problem at all.

EagleNester
Nov 13th, 2015, 09:35 PM
Is it still recommended to "coat" the entire vehicle with UQW before buffing off? I've been using it as a wipe on/immediately wipe off product. Might I have better results by letting it sit for a bit? Thanks!

The Guz
Nov 13th, 2015, 09:57 PM
Is it still recommended to "coat" the entire vehicle with UQW before buffing off? I've been using it as a wipe on/immediately wipe off product. Might I have better results by letting it sit for a bit? Thanks!

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?48894-Meguiar-s-Quik-Tips-Video-Series-Ultimate-Liquid-Wax-A-New-Application-Experience

EagleNester
Nov 14th, 2015, 12:07 AM
http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?48894-Meguiar-s-Quik-Tips-Video-Series-Ultimate-Liquid-Wax-A-New-Application-Experience
Great resource but I was talking about the ultimate quick wax (not ULW).

Marc08EX
Nov 14th, 2015, 06:57 AM

I apply and remove UQW a panel at a time.

What do you mean better results? What are you trying to achieve by coating the entire car before removal and letting the product sit for a bit? What problems are you having?

The Guz
Nov 14th, 2015, 08:36 AM
Great resource but I was talking about the ultimate quick wax (not ULW).

Meant to add this one.

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?36525-Meguiar-s-Video-Training-Series-Maintain-Your-Finish

EagleNester
Nov 14th, 2015, 08:39 AM
I apply and remove UQW a panel at a time.

What do you mean better results? What are you trying to achieve by coating the entire car before removal and letting the product sit for a bit? What problems are you having?
I'm Not having any problems. I also apply one panel at a time and it works great. But based on the link I posted, it looked like others are using the product slightly differently.

EagleNester
Nov 14th, 2015, 08:40 AM
Meant to add this one.

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?36525-Meguiar-s-Video-Training-Series-Maintain-Your-Finish
Thanks, Guz!

garrisone
Mar 15th, 2016, 09:39 AM
hi all,

can the ultimate quick wax used after using the cleaner wax? or would i see no difference?

thanks,

Garrisone

BillyJack
Mar 15th, 2016, 11:14 AM
I've never done that, but I doubt you'd see a difference doing one immediately after the other. UQW works great when used as a "refresher" or "booster" anywhere from a few weeks to a month or two after your wax job.

Bill

Michael Stoops
Mar 15th, 2016, 12:07 PM
hi all,

can the ultimate quick wax used after using the cleaner wax? or would i see no difference?

thanks,

Garrisone
Cleaner Wax, though a great product, is not a very durable wax. Using UQW after is actually a really good idea because it gives you a super easy way to add some great polymer protection that is actually quite durable. One of my favorite "one step" processes is to machine apply White Wax (essentially a very potent cleaner wax) fairly aggressively to remove most of the defects in the paint, and then follow up with D156 (the pro version of UQW) to add that extra and more durable protection. Since you'd go over a car quickly with a quick detail spray anyway following a machine correction step, if only to ensure you didn't leave anything behind around emblems, panel edges, etc, doing so with D156/UQW instead gives you that extra protection in the process.