PDA

View Full Version : Do you use the Grit Guard?

Megafast13
Dec 21st, 2008, 10:11 PM
Just wondering, I was thinking about getting some...

Sevy316
Dec 21st, 2008, 10:22 PM
i just thoroughly rinse off and ring out my lambswool mitt before going back to the soap bucket.

J. A. Michaels
Dec 22nd, 2008, 03:34 AM
Buy some, you will be glad you did. In my opinion, they make a huge difference. I was amazed after using them for the first time.

Heatgain
Dec 22nd, 2008, 05:07 AM
I use the grit guard in my rinse bucket. Not only does it trap the dirt underneath, I lightly rub my mitt/sponge on it each time I rinse my wash media.
I also use my grit guard to clean the polishing pad when I'm done, with the pad on a rotary. I GENTLY(2000 grit) sanded the Grit Guard on a few high points because it had a few places on it that felt like it might rip a pad or mitt. After using a regular Grit Guard to clean my pads a few times I bought a Universal Pad Washer, which uses, surprisingly enough, a Grit Guard to clean the pads. I gently sanded that one too on a few high points.

gb387
Dec 22nd, 2008, 05:28 AM
I use them in both my rinse and soap bucket... then after a wash I use the as a drying rack for my mitts.

Hemin8r
Dec 22nd, 2008, 10:33 AM
I use them in both my rinse and soap bucket... then after a wash I use the as a drying rack for my mitts.

:xyxthumbs

Dibbuz
Dec 22nd, 2008, 12:46 PM
I use both too.

akimel
Dec 22nd, 2008, 02:28 PM
I use one for my rinse bucket.

cupcakez
Dec 22nd, 2008, 05:31 PM
i bought two and its worth it.

asim_296
Dec 22nd, 2008, 06:17 PM
I voted "No" simply because I couldn't find any at local market. that's sad:bawling1

Fischer
Dec 22nd, 2008, 08:42 PM
I use one in each bucket, sometimes two in one bucket depending on if the car is really dirty :wavey

Megafast13
Dec 23rd, 2008, 04:47 PM
I got one Red one...

I might get anther one down the road.

gjohn28
Dec 23rd, 2008, 06:42 PM
I got one Red one...

I might get anther one down the road.

If you do, get a black one this time. They work much better than the red ones...:chuckle1

Johnson
Dec 23rd, 2008, 07:38 PM
wow, these seem pretty popular, how much do they cost and were can I get one. With all the car washes I do in the summer, this might be worth it?

gjohn28
Dec 23rd, 2008, 08:03 PM
wow, these seem pretty popular, how much do they cost and were can I get one. With all the car washes I do in the summer, this might be worth it?

Had to order mine from ADS. Couldn't find them in any local stores. I believe Autopia/Autogeek also has them. ADS prices are a little lower - $8.95ea or two for $15.95.
:xyxthumbs

CarbonBlack
Dec 25th, 2008, 08:10 PM
I don't use them, but I am interested in trying them out.
I got a gift card from Santa, and the store has some.

I'll give them a try

PaintPolisher
Dec 25th, 2008, 10:02 PM
U.S. Plastic price $7.10 ea and due to warehouse & systems updates they will take your order and ship out on Jan 5th. Use code 56180 and they will deduct 10% for having to wait. A good deal if you can keep your anticipation under control so go all out and get 2. :dp::dp:

9C1 MAN
Dec 26th, 2008, 07:51 PM
I use one also for the rinse bucket.

Dibbuz
Dec 27th, 2008, 01:47 AM
I voted "No" simply because I couldn't find any at local market. that's sad:bawling1
Just order online? With these prices in the states I would had to buy another house to fit erverything in lol

Fischer
Dec 27th, 2008, 09:52 PM
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p31/bboymax11/IMG00009-20081227-1444.jpg

Another reason to have a grit guard, after i washed my car i took out the guard and slowly drained the water and found this on the bottom of it!

Barry N
Jan 21st, 2009, 09:23 AM
I made my own. I bought 2 of these.http://i44.tinypic.com/s64t4i.jpg Then I drilled a series of holes in the bottom of one of them. Then I put one bucket inside the other,the grit runs thru the holes and into the bottom bucket.

ClearlyCoated
Feb 16th, 2009, 01:23 PM
I use the grit guard in my rinse bucket. Not only does it trap the dirt underneath, I lightly rub my mitt/sponge on it each time I rinse my wash media.
I also use my grit guard to clean the polishing pad when I'm done, with the pad on a rotary. I GENTLY(2000 grit) sanded the Grit Guard on a few high points because it had a few places on it that felt like it might rip a pad or mitt. After using a regular Grit Guard to clean my pads a few times I bought a Universal Pad Washer, which uses, surprisingly enough, a Grit Guard to clean the pads. I gently sanded that one too on a few high points.Check out their Universal pad washer (http://www.gritguard.com/product_info.php?products_id=68&osCsid=084a7783742697f5e49bf383f38f414f). (Although a little rich for my blood at $135)

And I voted yes on the Grit Guard. I plan to buy a pair this week.

Heatgain
Feb 16th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Check out their Universal pad washer (http://www.gritguard.com/product_info.php?products_id=68&osCsid=084a7783742697f5e49bf383f38f414f). (Although a little rich for my blood at $135)

And I voted yes on the Grit Guard. I plan to buy a pair this week.

Those are on sale for 89.99 at an online supplier until Feb 20. I don't think I'm allowed to give the URL on here.

Carfire
Feb 16th, 2009, 05:38 PM
When I got them, I have never wash one of my families vehicles without them.

irf@n
Feb 16th, 2009, 10:12 PM
No bucket...

Only foam wash :)

ClearlyCoated
Feb 20th, 2009, 01:32 PM
My Grit Guards arrived yesterday! This morning I picked up 2 plastic five gallon buckets from Home Depot ($3 each) and bucket lids ($1 each, figure it would be best to have the lids since they were so low priced anyway). I also bought a low pressure garden insecticide type sprayer for $9 (manual pump action, 1 gallon capacity) which I figured might be useful to to lay down an even layer of Last Touch.

http://www.hardwarestore.com/media/product/120031_front200.jpg

Pep Boys was next door, so I popped in and picked up a sheepswool wash mitt. Got everything else, so I'll probably watch Mike's car wash video a couple more times and then get up early tomorrow morning for my first swirl free wash! :detailer

3Fitty
Feb 20th, 2009, 04:02 PM
The only thing I HATE about the Grit Guard is that I didn't invent it.

ClearlyCoated
Feb 21st, 2009, 11:56 AM
I completed my first grit-guard / 2 bucket wash this morning and WOW, I have never prepped for something as elementally simple with such exacting detail before. I took 2 weeks to assemble all the necessary components, most purchased from WalMart, but also bought some items from Target and Auto Detailing Solutions. I watched Mike's car-washing video at least three times and read and re-read all the proper techniques and advice that everyone has offered on this site. Had all the makings of a military operation :D.

It took me 3 hours to complete the car wash (guess I was way too exacting) but the result is one glossy, swirl-free finish. I know the time will reduce with successive car washes, but I'm very pleased with the result. The garden pump sprayer turned out to be very effective for coating the finish with Last Touch. The wand handle makes it easier to cover the roof and since the nozzle is angled, I was able to direct the spray under the bumpers and rocker panels with ease.

Tuck91
Feb 21st, 2009, 01:05 PM
I completed my first grit-guard / 2 bucket wash this morning and WOW, I have never prepped for something as elementally simple with such exacting detail before. I took 2 weeks to assemble all the necessary components, most purchased from WalMart, but also bought some items from Target and Auto Detailing Solutions. I watched Mike's car-washing video at least three times and read and re-read all the proper techniques and advice that everyone has offered on this site. Had all the makings of a military operation :D.

It took me 3 hours to complete the car wash (guess I was way too exacting) but the result is one glossy, swirl-free finish. I know the time will reduce with successive car washes, but I'm very pleased with the result. The garden pump sprayer turned out to be very effective for coating the finish with Last Touch. The wand handle makes it easier to cover the roof and since the nozzle is angled, I was able to direct the spray under the bumpers and rocker panels with ease.

nice job, sounds like you put a lot of efort and hard work into your car

AeroCleanse
Mar 22nd, 2009, 06:29 AM
USPlastic.com seems to be the cheapest place I have seen them.

MyFirstES300
Mar 22nd, 2009, 09:28 AM
I voted no. I haven't had a problem with grit causing scratches or swirls on my paint. I use the two bucket method (2 4 gallon tall Helmon's mayonnaise buckets, they are tall). I personally feel they aren't worth the money or for me.

MrCLRider
Apr 10th, 2009, 10:12 AM
I made my own. I bought 2 of these.http://i44.tinypic.com/s64t4i.jpg Then I drilled a series of holes in the bottom of one of them. Then I put one bucket inside the other,the grit runs thru the holes and into the bottom bucket.

can you seperate the buckets and clean out the bottom one?? I've always seemed to have problems seperating two buckets like that. Very good idea though.

dope92cc
Apr 22nd, 2009, 05:15 PM
I don't have any yet. I don't need it for my paint, it's going to be sanded off anyway.
I will order a couple for sure.

chrisw
Apr 22nd, 2009, 06:27 PM
I just bought 2. Used them this weekend, however they did not stay on the bottom they floated to the top. Is that normal.

dope92cc
Apr 23rd, 2009, 03:59 PM
I just bought 2. Used them this weekend, however they did not stay on the bottom they floated to the top. Is that normal.
your H20 is too heavy :laughing

spamlova
Apr 24th, 2009, 02:37 AM
always use one, even if my car isn't that dirty

zoomzoom mazda5
Apr 26th, 2009, 06:06 PM
Always use 2 of them , one each in a bucket.

Barry N
May 8th, 2009, 11:09 AM
can you seperate the buckets and clean out the bottom one?? I've always seemed to have problems seperating two buckets like that. Very good idea though.

Yup....they separate with no problem. Sorry for the late reply.

foilr
May 8th, 2009, 05:18 PM
I can't find them in local stores so I haven't used them yet. I never used two buckets to wash before joining this site either. I will follow Mike's advice since it has worked out well so far.
Grit Guard needs to get their product into the mass merchant channel.

Cheers!

dope92cc
May 8th, 2009, 06:18 PM
*I'm a user now.* is there any way to change my vote?

I just used the two bucket method on my mom's new BMW. That bad mammajamma was absolutely FILTHY (to me, especially.).
It's beautiful again, and still free of scratches.

dpardo
May 10th, 2009, 12:52 PM
After using the Grit Guard for about 10 months, I can't imagine washing a car without one.

On some of the cars I detail, I get some gunk on my wash mitt that I absolutely would either have to rinse off or use the grit guard on.

This is after using a pressure washer (I own a mobile detailing business) to thoroughly rinse the car prior to washing.

With today's water restrictions, and the inefficiency of having to fire up my pressure washer (sans spray-gun) to periodically rinse the mitt off, the Grit Guard has proven to be an absolute God-send!

jamesqjr
May 22nd, 2009, 06:31 PM
meguiar's need to make the wash buckets with the logo

ClearlyCoated
May 22nd, 2009, 07:22 PM
meguiar's need to make the wash buckets with the logo:idea: They would sell like hotcakes if priced right...

jamesqjr
May 23rd, 2009, 06:58 PM
would you rather buy a grit guard set up with pinnacle, auto-geek, sonus, or Meguiar's? I know i'd buy two.

rusty bumper
Aug 5th, 2009, 09:14 PM
I don't have any grit guards yet, but I am a bit surprised to see so many people using them.

Buffnshine
Aug 6th, 2009, 01:14 AM
I wouldnt think of not using them. I have one in each bucket, yes two bucket method

BlackShine
Sep 18th, 2009, 12:01 AM
I also use the two bucket method and have a grit guard in each bucket and so far they work really well for me.

JohanD
Oct 12th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Just received two grit guards in the mail from ADS a couple days ago. Have not tried them out yet though. Looking forward to it.

paudashlake
Jan 1st, 2010, 09:52 PM
The way I see it, the grit guard is like the snuggie, which is only a backwards robe!!! If you do the two bucket method, what is the point of having them? You just clean it up in the second bucket and it is all good for the next bucket. They seem to me like a product that is made popular because of the people who use it, not what it does or how it works. I'm sure some people won't like this post, but I have never used the grit guard, so this is an opinion from someone that has no experience with it.

speed3blackmica
Jan 1st, 2010, 10:32 PM
The way I see it, the grit guard is like the snuggie, which is only a backwards robe!!! If you do the two bucket method, what is the point of having them? You just clean it up in the second bucket and it is all good for the next bucket. They seem to me like a product that is made popular because of the people who use it, not what it does or how it works. I'm sure some people won't like this post, but I have never used the grit guard, so this is an opinion from someone that has no experience with it.

you are right, however the grit gaurd helps to keep all the dirt down at the bottom of the bucket and to stay there...some grit can still swish around and all it takes is that one tiny particle of dirt or grit to stick to your wash mitt, and bam, you have nice scratches...although the 2 bucket method is the way to go to prevent swirls as best as possible, the grit gaurd just helps reduce that potential EVEN MORE.

so for those of us that spend hours upon hours compounding, polishing, and waxing our personal cars that we love and cherish, we will go all the way to preserve our wonderful looking finishes..

dave_from_here
Jan 2nd, 2010, 03:44 AM
you are right, however the grit gaurd helps to keep all the dirt down at the bottom of the bucket and to stay there...some grit can still swish around and all it takes is that one tiny particle of dirt or grit to stick to your wash mitt, and bam, you have nice scratches...although the 2 bucket method is the way to go to prevent swirls as best as possible, the grit gaurd just helps reduce that potential EVEN MORE.

so for those of us that spend hours upon hours compounding, polishing, and waxing our personal cars that we love and cherish, we will go all the way to preserve our wonderful looking finishes..

I agree, why take a chance it's not like you'll need to take a second mortgage to buy a grit guard lol.

ca_999
Jan 2nd, 2010, 07:40 AM
I don't use gritguard. Can find any local store selling it. In the mean time I spray the washmitt thoroughly before going to the soap bucket. But I'm going to DIY create gritguard.

paudashlake
Jan 2nd, 2010, 10:18 AM
speed3, you are right, but as ca just said, I might also make my own grit guard because there is no reason, in my mind at least, to spend money on such a thing.

speed3blackmica
Jan 2nd, 2010, 02:11 PM
It doesn't have to be made by grit gaurd themselves...even though they are only like 8 bucks..my point is "anything" you can do to prevent and reduce the potential of inducing swirls, is worth every penny, even if you make it yourself..the hours you spend polishing and waxing are worth something

paudashlake
Jan 2nd, 2010, 03:23 PM
I totally agree.

speed3blackmica
Jan 6th, 2010, 08:31 PM
I totally agree.

im glad you do...we may spend hours upon hours compounding, polishing, waxing our own personal vehicles, and then we may end up putting those swirls back into the clear coat just from 1 wash...and that to me, is quite a disappointment...to spend all those hours working the paint to acheive show car results and then to just have it get back to the way it was, is heartbreaking so to speak..the time we spent is certianlly worth something and has some sentimental value to all car guys..so even if you dont want to buy the grit gaurd and make your own..then heck, if it gets the job done then who can complain !? grit gaurd just makes it easier for someone who doesnt have time to make their own design of a grit gaurd for their buckets

CieraSL
Apr 26th, 2010, 03:55 PM
Hmmm, wish there was some way I could change my vote from no to yes. I didn't use to use Grit Guards (only because I didn't have them), but now I don't do a wash without 'em.

tvg
May 17th, 2010, 06:00 PM
I'm new to the forum, but thought I would share what I've been using instead of a grit-guard, as I couldn't find one local. I had some lighting egg-crate that I cut to fit the bottom of my wash buckets. Two layers can be used to give you more space to trap stuff. The egg crate has little squares that are 1/2" x 1/2" or so. Can be found easily at the hardware.

rusty bumper
Jun 2nd, 2010, 11:05 AM
I'm new to the forum, but thought I would share what I've been using instead of a grit-guard, as I couldn't find one local. I had some lighting egg-crate that I cut to fit the bottom of my wash buckets. Two layers can be used to give you more space to trap stuff. The egg crate has little squares that are 1/2" x 1/2" or so. Can be found easily at the hardware.

I've heard of people using those before.

I might try one myself.

Welcome to the forum by the way! :wavey

Bill Davidson
Jun 11th, 2010, 09:54 PM
I just receive a couple of grit guards. I haven't had a chance to use them yet as they don't fit into the bottoms of my current 4 gal. pails. I need to get 5 gal. pails.

What I'm using now is a couple 4 gal pails with a bunch of holes drilled into the bottom. I insert one pail with holes inside another pail. It works, but it was a lot of work making them. Not only do you have to drill hundreds of holes, but you then clean any remnant plastic shavings of the side of each hole. If any of those shavings come loose they float to the top of the wash water and will scratch your paint.

I personally think the Grit Guard is a flawless design. So simple yet so effective. It's hardly worth improvising.

Paul S
Jun 24th, 2010, 06:47 AM
You might want to check out the "dirt dropper" from pail pal. Just a little more efficient style of trapping dirt in the water. I have this and grit guards but lately use ONR more often then a regular soap and hose type wash. :xyxthumbs

b2bomber
Aug 26th, 2010, 06:56 PM
i use an improvised grit guard for my wash and soap bucket.

EPHIOS
Nov 7th, 2010, 10:30 PM
I always do. I must have TWO Grit Guards with every wash. Always want the reduce the possibility of scratching my paint.

therdrman
Jan 28th, 2011, 03:09 PM
i dont but i will be gettin one soon!

mswerb
Jan 28th, 2011, 06:00 PM
Before joining this forum I have never heard of grit guards. I do not use them, but it does seem to be quite beneficial to do so.

Mr Shiny Wheels
Jul 17th, 2011, 12:21 PM
I made my own grit guard. Drilled a series of holes in one bucket and then put it inside another. Works great, mainly because we cannot get the Meguiars Grit Guard in Canada.

Murr1525
Aug 22nd, 2011, 07:06 AM
Definitely an online purchase.

weavers
Aug 25th, 2011, 10:15 PM
1 grit guard with ONR 1 bucket wash. I like to belive that the grit guard lets heavy dirt particles fall the bottom, it does seem to work.

that Dirt Dropper looks great. i wish i had one....

Bosco
Aug 26th, 2011, 03:22 PM
call me crazy, but I use 2 grit guards in my rinse bucket, and 1 in the soap bucket. I try to be extra careful with my nighthawk black pearl.

Garage Troll
Nov 26th, 2011, 11:11 AM
ALWAYS! The grit guard is honestly the most important item in my detailing supplies. It's used every time I wash my car. I think people sometimes forget how important it is :)

ethereal45
Nov 26th, 2011, 01:33 PM
Considering they are $15 for a pair of two, and they will probably last a lifetime unless you do something very stupid with them, I can't see any reason not to have them. I've been using them for a few months and I think they do what they say they do. Are they magic? No. But they are a smart design that will definitely reduce the potential for instilling swirls when washing your car. Even if it's a very small reduction, I'd say that's worth $15 over the course of many, many washes.

Meticulous-Detail
Dec 3rd, 2011, 04:30 PM
Cheap insurance. Plus I use them to clean my pads and brushes too.

Wheelzntoys
Aug 16th, 2012, 05:21 AM
Grit guards also keep the dirt from moving inside your bucket, think tornado action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4RGoQ6c50w&feature=youtube_gdata_player

s word
Aug 20th, 2012, 01:37 PM

I was with you until a few weeks back. You are 100% right that it is near if not impossible to find these anywhere. I bought mine through online retailers. Can't say I notice a difference because my car is not extremely dirty between washes. But can say that they was a nice amount of black grit resting at the bottom of the bucket when I completed my wash. So I know that did not end up back on my car.

Guitar280Z
Feb 25th, 2013, 12:54 PM
I tried using a grit guard a few times since the neighbor had one, but I stopped using them because the dirt was always getting stirred up every time I tried to rub the mitt on the grit guard. Instead, I had a second bucket partly-filled with clean water, and refilled the bucket after cleaning the mitt. Using a grit guard takes twice as long to wash the car, and unless you have a million-dollar paint job, or an antique car with original paint, it's just not worth the extra time or effort. If you just rinse the dirt off well before washing, a grit guard is unnecessary.

hemi
Feb 26th, 2013, 04:46 PM
I use them ! cheap insurance Black paint, no metalflake,halogen lights, all very unforgiving !