PDA

View Full Version : Which Operating System are you?

Megafast13
Jan 1st, 2009, 08:57 PM
Just wondering what you guys use, this isn't spam.

Carfire
Jan 1st, 2009, 09:16 PM
Windows Vista. I like it, it is not as bad as some people same IMO.

sdprius858
Jan 1st, 2009, 10:10 PM
XP Pro on this laptop.....not enough RAM to handle Vista

Carfire
Jan 1st, 2009, 10:16 PM
Install More RAM.

sdprius858
Jan 1st, 2009, 10:22 PM
Can't......AMD Turion 64x2 TL-52....cant install anymore. According to My Computer I have 1.87GB of RAM and a 160GB HD

Megafast13
Jan 1st, 2009, 10:43 PM
I love Vista too. I don't think it's bad at all. I do think OS X Leopard is the best out their right now. They just came out with the Windows 7 beta and I heard it's amazing.

J. A. Michaels
Jan 2nd, 2009, 03:53 AM
Run Vista. So far it seems good. Time will tell.

Mikejl
Jan 2nd, 2009, 06:21 AM
Vista Ultimate on 3 laptops
Win XP Pro on 1 laptop
Win XP Pro on 2 Destops
1 Windows 2008 Server
1 Windows 2003 Server (VM)
2 Windows XP Pro (VM)

:)

Mike

AeroCleanse
Jan 2nd, 2009, 06:43 AM
Vista on one, XP on another and FreeNas on the third

mshu7
Jan 2nd, 2009, 06:43 AM
Mac OS X here!

I worked in IT for over 8 years on all Windows machines. I got out it just after we started testing Vista. Right about the same time my wife and I bought a Macbook Pro. Since then, two members of my family have purchased laptops with Vista and guess who they call when something goes wrong? Yup, me. I absolutely HATE Windows Vista. Every time I have to use one of those Vista machines, I'm so thankful I don't have to deal it on a daily basis.

Go with Mac and never look back!

dave40co
Jan 2nd, 2009, 07:32 AM
I run the Mac OS X on my computers and through an emulator have Windows XP installed for access to the M.L.S. After having to use Windoze, I am glad I am a Mac user.

AeroCleanse
Jan 2nd, 2009, 08:29 AM
Go with Mac and never look back!

I had a Mac, and went back.

Andy M.
Jan 2nd, 2009, 09:00 AM
I use vista and like it. It just took me awhile to get used to it. Ran XP Pro before.

Andy M.

mshu7
Jan 2nd, 2009, 11:14 AM
I had a Mac, and went back.

I'm shocked actually. I don't think I've ever heard anyone say they used a Mac and went back to Windows.

Any particular reason?

I can understand people just being more familiar with how Windows works, but as an OS, Mac is a lot more stable and user-friendly once you learn how it works vs. Windows OS.

dave40co
Jan 2nd, 2009, 11:51 AM
I'm shocked actually. I don't think I've ever heard anyone say they used a Mac and went back to Windows.

Any particular reason?

I can understand people just being more familiar with how Windows works, but as an OS, Mac is a lot more stable and user-friendly once you learn how it works vs. Windows OS.

I am surprised too. I have converted more people to the Mac system once they learned how easy it is to use and operate. The only drawback I see with the Mac is if you are into gaming. Of course you can use the emulator for them and use the Mac online to help prevent spyware, viruses and the other things the PC seems to pick up.

SCBMW
Jan 2nd, 2009, 03:06 PM
MAC OS X Baby!

ronniejay
Jan 2nd, 2009, 05:33 PM
Running win2000 on a computer I assembled from mboard, cpu, 2 hard drives, power supply, antec case, graphics card, modem card, memory, etc.

I use dial-up. OLD SCHOOL.

AeroCleanse
Jan 2nd, 2009, 07:36 PM

Any particular reason?

Mac was much slower for the same speed processor and was unstable compared to windows. Then there was the price of the computer, far too much cash outlay for a Mac desktop compared to a PC desktop.

I didn't find the UI any better than windows.

Its also harder to customize a Mac after you buy it.

Ryan L.
Jan 3rd, 2009, 07:19 AM
XP Pro on 3-4 Laptops
XP on Mom's Desktop
XP Pro on Dad's Laptop/Desktop
Vista Ultimate on my Desktop
Window's Mobile 6.1 on my Phone

Window's FTW!!!

Ryan

techjazz
Jan 3rd, 2009, 07:16 PM
Mac OS X on a new MacBook too! :D

gb387
Jan 3rd, 2009, 07:20 PM
Vista at both work and home - well I guess I do use XP from time to time on my other computer.

rwisejr
Jan 4th, 2009, 06:22 AM
I use Vista ,Xp and MacOSX as I 'm an IT guy and support them all. I had my boss order my whole team MACBook Pros and I configured them all to run Both OSX and Vista or XP so we only need to carry 1 laptop instead of 2 . I Luv my Vista

CWM3
Jan 5th, 2009, 12:22 PM
Vista on both laptops...no issues.

Good to see mshu7 on these forums!

mshu7
Jan 5th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Vista on both laptops...no issues.

Good to see mshu7 on these forums!

Hey Hey! :wavey

eric_son
Jan 8th, 2009, 12:12 AM
Whoopeee! I'm the first to vote for LINUX. :)

Nappers
Jan 8th, 2009, 02:01 AM
Windows XP on our computer (it's old, 2002 yr) 40Gb, man that was fairly large hard drive then.....

onawrxhigh
Jan 8th, 2009, 11:43 AM
I am running XP Pro right now.

1337Rolla
Jan 12th, 2009, 07:45 AM
xp pro, 2000 pro, freeBSD

christian6984
Jan 27th, 2009, 08:11 AM
vista on my laptop and xp on the older desktop

Michael Stoops
Jan 27th, 2009, 09:15 AM
I've had a Mac and Windows PC sitting side by side on my desk at home for years. Back when I was running OS9 on a Mac it crashed as often as Windows 98SE did - well, just plain locked up was more like it. That computer had lower specs than the Windows box did but was easily as fast. In my opinion both OSes were dodgy at best.

Now I've got XP Pro running on the Windows box and OSX running on the Mac (both newer machines than the old 98 and OS9 machines) and the PC is faster (has better specs) and neither one of them crashes at all. I use the PC probably 99.5% of the time though as I find the Internet to be more Windows friendly, most videos I download run better on the Windows machine, and in their current configurations the Windows machine is just plain faster. It is nice that file compatibility between the two is no longer an issue - QuarkXpress, Word, Photoshop, Illustrator, etc all just go back and forth between the two platforms with almost no issues. That certainly wasn't the case several years ago.

My new laptop is Vista equipped and I have to say I love the thing. Not a hint of trouble and very fast.

Bottom line - I think the Mac OS is great, but the cost of entry isn't worth it. I can get a Windows PC to equal the speed and reliability of a Mac for less than half the cost. Macs tend to be much, much prettier though, I'll give them that!!

Oh, and I dabbled with Linux for a couple years on a dual boot system but found it to be just too darn much work, not enough hardware compatibility, etc. I'm sure that's changed, but I just have no real interest in changing over any longer. Like I said, my XP box is rock stable - I leave it on 24/7 and probably don't even reboot the thing but once a month, maybe less.

roushstage2
Feb 8th, 2009, 06:44 PM
The good one....XP

TxRado
Feb 12th, 2009, 08:29 PM
No windows 7 option? Had to choose other.

Megafast13
Feb 27th, 2009, 07:16 PM
No windows 7 option? Had to choose other.

sorry i made this poll before Win7 was available :D

I have it as well now.

supercharged
Mar 21st, 2009, 08:01 PM
I use Vista, but prefer XP, just for one reason - you can add the option to resize your photos WITHOUT running a special software. I HAVE THAT! Why would I install a special software JUST TO RESIZE PHOTOS, when I don't want to edit them, as I'm lazy...

AeroCleanse
Mar 22nd, 2009, 06:26 AM
I prefer Linux, I think I picked Windows when the poll was out, but I have since switched.

CieraSL
Mar 29th, 2009, 09:04 AM
I use Mac OS X. This reminds me of a joke I posted in another thread. I'll just go ahead and copy the joke here.

If Operating Systems Ran The Airlines...

UNIX Airways

Everyone brings one piece of the plane along when they come to the airport. They all go out on the runway and put the plane together piece by piece, arguing non-stop about what kind of plane they are supposed to be building.

Air DOS

Everybody pushes the airplane until it glides, then they jump on and let the plane coast until it hits the ground again. Then they push again, jump on again, and so on...

Mac Airlines

All the stewards, captains, baggage handlers, and ticket agents look and act exactly the same. Every time you ask questions about details, you are gently but firmly told that you don't need to know, don't want to know, and everything will be done for you without your ever having to know, so just shut up.

Windows Air

The terminal is pretty and colourful, with friendly stewards, easy baggage check and boarding, and a smooth take-off. After about 10 minutes in the air, the plane explodes with no warning whatsoever.

Windows NT Air

Just like Windows Air, but costs more, uses much bigger planes, and takes out all the other aircraft within a 40-mile radius when it explodes.

Windows XP Air

You turn up at the airport,which is under contract to only allow XP Air planes. All the aircraft are identical, brightly coloured and three times as big as they need to be. The signs are huge and all point the same way. Whichever way you go, someone pops up dressed in a cloak and pointed hat insisting you follow him. Your luggage and clothes are taken off you and replaced with an XP Air suit and suitcase identical to everyone around you as this is included in the exorbitant ticket cost. The aircraft will not take off until you have signed a contract. The inflight entertainment promised turns out to be the same Mickey Mouse cartoon repeated over and over again. You have to phone your travel agent before you can have a meal or drink. You are searched regularly throughout the flight. If you go to the toilet twice or more you get charged for a new ticket. No matter what destination you booked you will always end up crash landing at Whistler in Canada.

OSX Air:

You enter a white terminal, and all you can see is a woman sitting in the corner behind a white desk, you walk up to get your ticket. She smiles and says "Welcome to OS X Air, please allow us to take your picture", at which point a camera in the wall you didn't notice before takes your picture. "Thank you, here is your ticket" You are handed a minimalistic ticket with your picture at the top, it already has all of your information. A door opens to your right and you walk through. You enter a wide open space with one seat in the middle, you sit, listen to music and watch movies until the end of the flight. You never see any of the other passengers. You land, get off, and you say to yourself "wow, that was really nice, but I feel like something was missing"

Windows Vista Airlines:

You enter a good looking terminal with the largest planes you have ever seen. Every 10 feet a security officer appears and asks you if you are "sure" you want to continue walking to your plane and if you would like to cancel. Not sure what cancel would do, you continue walking and ask the agent at the desk why the planes are so big. After the security officer making sure you want to ask the question and you want to hear the answer, the agent replies that they are bigger because it makes customers feel better, but the planes are designed to fly twice as slow. Adding the size helped achieve the slow fly goal.

Once on the plane, every passenger has to be asked individually by the flight attendants if they are sure they want to take this flight. Then it is company policy that the captain asks the passengers collectively the same thing. After answering yes to so many questions, you are punched in the face by some stranger who when he asked "Are you sure you want me to punch you in the face? Cancel or Allow?" you instinctively say "Allow".

After takeoff, the pilots realize that the landing gear driver wasn't updated to work with the new plane. Therefore it is always stuck in the down position. This forces the plane to fly even slower, but the pilots are used to it and continue to fly the planes, hoping that soon the landing gear manufacturer will give out a landing gear driver update.

You arrive at your destination wishing you had used your reward miles with XP airlines rather than trying out this new carrier. A close friend, after hearing your story, mentions that Linux Air is a much better alternative and helps.

Linux Air

Disgruntled employees of all the other OS airlines decide to start their own airline. They build the planes, ticket counters, and pave the runways themselves. They charge a small fee to cover the cost of printing the ticket, but you can also download and print the ticket yourself.

When you board the plane, you are given a seat, four bolts, a wrench and a copy of the seat-HOWTO.html. Once settled, the fully adjustable seat is very comfortable, the plane leaves and arrives on time without a single problem, the in-flight meal is wonderful. You try to tell customers of the other airlines about the great trip, but all they can say is, "You had to do what with the seat?"

CumminsCrazed
Apr 20th, 2009, 12:07 PM
XP Pro here....need a new computer badly!

AeroCleanse
Apr 21st, 2009, 06:11 AM
For my NAS server, I just switched it this weekend to OpenSolaris. The ZFS file system is the best. Still using Ubuntu on the desktop..after trying OpenSolaris there as well.

Tom Weed
Apr 21st, 2009, 05:34 PM
Vista here on my desktop at home and work, used Windows 7 on my laptop and it didn't like it, went back to Vista there also.

GTO4IBF
Apr 22nd, 2009, 05:37 AM
I think that vista is the way to go if you disable the security popups and run at lease 3GB of ram. A decent graphics card is a nice thing to have so that you don't get bogged down with appearance graphics but it really isn't needed.

kaptain_zero
May 23rd, 2009, 07:21 PM
Main computer here runs PClinuxOS. Upstairs shared computer runs Mandriva 2007 as I just can't seem to get around to upgrading it. Linux has come a long way. Download a copy of PClinuxOS (or other flavor of choice), burn it to a cd and boot your computer to the cd drive and take it for a test drive... you might just be surprised. The live CD is a great way to test drive Linux without making any changes on your computer and lets you test your choice of Linux distribution for compatibility with your particular hardware... many times one Linux might not work but the next three do. That's how I found PClinuxOS, it was the first one to support *ALL* my hardware right out of the gate with no heroics on my end. Installing it was so painless as to make installing XP a crude joke. I think I answered about 5 questions in total and the install went automatically from there... One reboot and my install was finished. And what's up with all this rebooting just because you install a program you need.... In Linux you just select your software package you want via your installer and then install, when it's finished you simply start your program and keep working. Yes, there are times when you might have to shut something down... changing video drivers do mean you have to restart your desktop but not the underlying operating system. The only time you need to do a full reboot is if you upgrade your kernel and that's not exactly a common occurrence but rather something you might do only because you need a new piece of hardware supported or you are making a major upgrade of your OS.

I do everything on my Linux based computers, all the software I need is available and usually on the install disk at that and a good selection of hardware is supported with more vendors joining the fray each day either by supplying a driver or offering the information required to make it easier for the Linux community to develop the needed drivers. There are programs that are NOT FREE but that you can purchase for specific needs but for the average at home user, there's plenty of open source software available that you can use without having to pay for it. I DO spend money on my Linux, I send the developers money once a year to support their efforts as after all, the computers that store and distribute this software do cost money as well as the access to the internet and as a user I feel I should share in the burden of that cost but no one held a gun to my head demanding money or claimed that I was a thief if I didn't pay up.

The only downside I can see is that my friends who still use XP or Vista don't call me as often anymore.... it might be because I'm no longer able to help them out with their problems as I've not used Windows based computers for so long that I've forgotten how to fix them. I don't know how to scan for viruses or deal with malware as it's just not an issue for me.

Regards

Christian

roushstage2
Dec 20th, 2009, 10:45 PM
I have a spare HD just sitting in my computer...I've been thinking about installing a Linux OS on there to try it out.

speed3blackmica
Dec 20th, 2009, 11:42 PM
Windows XP Black Edition

seth1066
Jan 23rd, 2010, 04:09 PM
Windows 7 on everything. Home (Professional); laptop & office (Ultimate, beta RC 7100). When the RC 7100 expires in March, I'll gladly pay the $109 for the Home Premium Edition from Costco.

Hoffer
Mar 17th, 2010, 05:28 PM
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CRICHAR%7E1%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Desktop has windows XP pro, my laptop is a Mac book pro and has snow leopard on it.

pmason718
Mar 17th, 2010, 06:20 PM
I use both

Blackwolf_Oz
Feb 26th, 2013, 02:18 AM
Black Opal......as shiny and fast & bug free as you can get.

:woohoo1

https://www.ultimateeditionoz.com