PDA

View Full Version : motorcycle wash

trbcjimmy
Jan 15th, 2009, 06:28 AM
I was wondering if you could use the deep crystal car wash on motorcycles without hurting it? Thanks.

yalerd
Jan 15th, 2009, 06:32 AM
Sure, no problem with it :)

CharlesW
Jan 15th, 2009, 07:00 AM
The only thing I would mention about motorcycle washing is to be sure to do a really thorough rinse of your wash solution. Bikes have a lot of nooks and crannies for soapy water to hide in and help create corrosion. Nothing that a good rinse won't take care of, though.

Ultraman
Apr 1st, 2009, 04:35 AM
Can Meguiar's products be used on mountain bikes? My bike has an aluminum frame btw.

Mike Phillips
Apr 1st, 2009, 08:19 AM
The only thing I would mention about motorcycle washing is to be sure to do a really thorough rinse of your wash solution.

Bikes have a lot of nooks and crannies for soapy water to hide in and help create corrosion. Nothing that a good rinse won't take care of, though.

That is a good tip.

:bow :bow :bow

Eileifr Arvel
Dec 9th, 2009, 04:18 AM
Most riders stay away from the car wash. The high pressure water can get behind bearing seals and also ruin the o-rings on your chain.

Raphael Nirav
Jan 19th, 2010, 05:02 AM
You could always try reading the washing instructions on the inside of the jacket. My Joe Rocket has detailed instructions is several languages. Basically remove body armour, wash in cold water with mild detergent and lay flat to dry.

starskynijuan
Oct 16th, 2010, 07:43 AM
one time, I forgot to adjust the nozzle of my pressure washer, it was so concentrated that i easily peeled off my motorcycle hub's paint...no chemicals involved yet...

Buck91
Oct 28th, 2011, 02:47 PM
Can Meguiar's products be used on mountain bikes? My bike has an aluminum frame btw.

What type of products? I've used car wash soap ON OCCASION to wash down my mountain bike; just remember there are 4 sets of bearings which may be easily contaminated as well as a chain which will likely need cleaned/degreased and relubed seperately. I spent the last couple years working as a mountain bike wrench and unless you are really willing to strip the bike down and detail it you might be better off getting some cleaner/lube (triflow, boesheild T9, etc) and an air hose for the components and wiping the frame and such down with either some type of quick detailer... Or use the old shop trick and bust out the Pledge. If you arent going to wax, this actually works VERY well as the light residue left behind helps (to a degree) keep dirt from sticking too bad.

And yes, I've waxed bikes/frames/components, although I usually only waste the time if I'm assembling from scratch, its new, and its for myself or somebody close ;)