View Full Version : What do you call the "final" buffing step?

Jan 19th, 2009, 11:28 AM
I got the idea for this poll over on Detailingworld when a member asked what "jeweling" was. I thought it would make for a fun poll and maybe come up with some other funny ideas as well. If you have one please post. :D


Jan 19th, 2009, 11:33 AM
I said finishing, because really that is all it is, a finishing polish with a finishing pad, used with proper technique of course.

Though I really do like Reflectus Maximus! :chuckle1

Ryan L.
Jan 19th, 2009, 11:33 AM
I call it finishing. Your finishing the buffing stage.


Jan 19th, 2009, 11:35 AM
I call it finishing. Your finishing the buffing stage.


Yeah, but that doesn't make you sound special like Reflectus Maximus does! :chuckle1

Mike Phillips
Jan 19th, 2009, 11:59 AM
2 cents...

Jeweling is a pretty good term to use to label it but jeweling isn't anything new under the sun that hasn't be being done since the rotary buffer was introduced into the Autobody world and then the detailing world.

The quality of chemicals, buffing pads and even tools like rotary buffers have dramatically improved over the decades and will continue to improve into the future.

For example our new M205 and our new W9207 foam finishing pads, perfect for the last step machine process or jeweling. :D

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/data/809/M20532_UltraFinishPolish.jpg http://www.meguiarsgarage.com/MeguiarsGarageNewsletterEdition00006_files/W9207_FinishingPad.jpg


Jan 19th, 2009, 01:08 PM
I had to choose other because I've been calling it the final "polishing" step. :o


Jan 19th, 2009, 03:00 PM
"Jeweling" annoys me for some reason. I guess it's a little pretentious?

J. A. Michaels
Jan 19th, 2009, 04:18 PM
Finishing. It is the final step?

Jan 20th, 2009, 06:51 AM
Shazamming! You work the finish polish, stand back, behold the beauty of your work, raise your hands and cry out, "Shazam!"

Jan 20th, 2009, 07:12 AM
...and then do the winning dance:dp::dp:

Jan 20th, 2009, 07:25 AM
Shazamming! You work the finish polish, stand back, behold the beauty of your work, raise your hands and cry out, "Shazam!"


Jan 20th, 2009, 09:23 AM
I know jeweling has been used as a term for the final polishing step on other sites but when I read it fir the first time I had something else come to my mind. I have been into hunting/shooting for about 18 years and jeweling in the rifle world means adding a decorative/functional overlapping circular pattern to your rifles bolt. This pattern looks good to the eye and hold a small amount of gun oil to help lube up the action. Here is a picture of what I am talking about. This is called jeweling or engine turning.



Jan 20th, 2009, 09:36 AM
Interesting! Thanks for sharing! :xyxthumbs

I've also noticed some of the terms used for other things too. An example would be burnishing, which has been used for pottery for some time I believe...

Jan 20th, 2009, 01:35 PM

Superior Shine
Jan 25th, 2009, 07:34 PM
I just call it polishing.

Never heard of jeweling.

Jeweling - Main Entry: jewel

transitive verb
Inflected Form(s): jeweled or jewelled; jewel·ing or jewel·ling

1 : to adorn or equip with jewels
2 : to give beauty to as if with jewels : embellish

Jan 27th, 2009, 03:17 PM
I had to choose other because I've been calling it the final "polishing" step. :o



john m.
Mar 19th, 2009, 01:57 PM
haha ive been calling it finishing but after this i gotta switch to Reflectus Maximus! Saying it outloud just makes me laugh every time :D

Apr 12th, 2009, 05:30 AM
I call it pre-wax :woot2

Apr 12th, 2009, 11:46 AM
I call it 'Miller Time' because now I get to sit down and watch the GF apply the wax. :dp:

I'm with onawrxhigh about 'jeweling'. I've been shooting much, much longer than I've been detailing, so to me 'jeweling' is an act of instilling swirls. Not good. Burnishing is another term I understand in a different way. My grandfather made jewelry and would burnish the finish on hard gem stones as a final step. And in firearms we burnish trigger sears for a smoother pull and crisp let-off. In both cases the term refers to 'heating the surface through friction to open the micropores in the material enough to accept and hold a lubricant such as wax or moly paste. At my skill level, I don't want to heat paint or clear coat enough to feel hot, let alone hot enough to open 'pores'.


Maserati Mario
Apr 29th, 2009, 07:32 PM

May 16th, 2009, 07:46 AM

Sep 10th, 2009, 10:23 AM
I may have to change my terminology to reflectus maximus. That is a good one.

Please, don't bother me while I am buffing or the reflectus maximus may get messed up.

Superior Shine
Sep 17th, 2009, 07:47 PM
Reflectus Maximo for me, I'm Latino.

Sep 18th, 2009, 04:23 PM
I call it the final buffing step Scottwax2

Nov 18th, 2009, 07:29 AM
magical shine step?

Nov 18th, 2009, 07:36 AM
How about the light at the end of the tunnel for those never ending jobs??

May 2nd, 2010, 08:19 PM

Fly Bye
Sep 17th, 2010, 10:58 PM
Final polish step.

Sep 19th, 2010, 04:40 AM
Hon, grab me a beer please, just about finished.

Guess I have to say, finishing.