PDA

View Full Version : Do You Like Detailing With Others?

Megafast13
Feb 22nd, 2009, 10:04 AM
Do you guys like detailing cars with other people, or do you like to do everything by yourself like me?

:hotrod2

Carfire
Feb 22nd, 2009, 11:02 AM
I prefer by myself, because sometimes the other person does not do it my way or good at all. Plus then you do not know what they have done or not. I think it is just more of a mess than a help.

acxdarlene
Feb 22nd, 2009, 11:42 AM
i prefer to work alone...sometimes the other person just gets in the way haha

Tuck91
Feb 22nd, 2009, 12:01 PM
working alone is better, i dont know what the other person is doing and it seems the other person is just slowing me down

Ryan L.
Feb 22nd, 2009, 12:04 PM
I put sometimes. It really depends on the person and car and what your trying to achieve.

Take for example the Batmobile Makeover I was apart of. On the first day, Nick, Mike Phillips and I worked almost perfectly in sync and we couldn't have finished everything without each other. Mike and Nick took care of all the rotary work and I followed right behind them with the DA and finished off the work. By yourself it would take 3 times as long to do that.

So it really depends on what your doing and who your doing it with.

Ryan

mcox
Feb 22nd, 2009, 12:23 PM
I checked sometimes because there are certain things I prefer not to do. Interiors are like cleaning your room and have been fortunate to have someone who helps on occasion that likes to clean the interiors

sstg
Feb 22nd, 2009, 12:56 PM
Myself. I'm to picky for most other people.

dad2008
Feb 22nd, 2009, 02:19 PM
The original plan was to be 2 of us, but the other guy didn't think I was serious about starting my own detailing business, but when he heard about the money I was making, then he was game....I do prefer myself, but 2 people does get the job done a lot sooner

Do you guys like detailing cars with other people, or do you like to do everything by yourself like me?

:hotrod2

PorscheGuy997
Feb 22nd, 2009, 03:01 PM
I occasionally work with a friend on some vehicles. He does the interior, while I do the paintwork.

In the end, it comes down to trust. Sometimes, I just don't have the time to check over previous work or redo it.

TimG
Feb 22nd, 2009, 04:19 PM
I tried bringing in my friends to help out. Some were really serious in doing the work and some were just goofing around wasting time. So it all depends on the type of work I'm asking them to do and also the type of character of the friend that I'm bringing in. End of the day I think synergism must be there to make quality work.

ClearlyCoated
Feb 22nd, 2009, 04:24 PM
I voted yes-sometimes because I'm so new to detailing, I really don't know. However, my approach is that no matter what I'm doing, I can always learn how to do something new, better, or more efficiently from someone else with a fresh set of eyes.

Superior Shine
Feb 23rd, 2009, 12:50 AM
I have had the immense pleasure of detailing side by side with Mike Phillips and Kevin Brown.

With company like that who would want to go solo??

J. A. Michaels
Feb 23rd, 2009, 07:30 AM
For the majority of the time. I prefer to detail on mine own. But My daughter is very good doing the interiors. So if it is a large job, I will give her a call to help out.

dave40co
Feb 23rd, 2009, 08:21 AM
Since I am not a pro and just do this for fun, I like having the owner of the car help. Mostly it is one of my son's friends car's and they are much younger and more eager to get the job done. It gives me great satisfaction helping these kids out and teaching them proper technique.

termigator69
Feb 23rd, 2009, 01:43 PM
I like doing myself if it's my cars because I control the quality. If I do other people's cars (I've only detailed my cousin's car), I have them do the simpler stuff like washing and drying the car.
Usually, my kids like to help wash my cars, but they're more of a hindrance than help. I usually have a couple of microfiber sponges around for them to use so they at least don't scratch the paint.:D

Robby144
Feb 23rd, 2009, 01:58 PM
I love it 90% of the time. I agree with just about all of you when you say that "others get in the way" and "you don't know what they've done and how well they did it." But I have to admit its good company and I always learn something new, which in this hobby is a good thing! I thrive off constructive criticism.

EDIT: Termigator, I love your signature! It reminds me of "If less is more, then just think of how much more more will be!"

termigator69
Feb 23rd, 2009, 04:20 PM
EDIT: Termigator, I love your signature! It reminds me of "If less is more, then just think of how much more more will be!"[/QUOTE]

Actually, I liked that other one too. Cool.....:xyxthumbs

CAShine
Feb 23rd, 2009, 07:45 PM
If its for money, I like to do it myself. If I am working on a friends car, I appreciate the help.

sudsbyhubbs
Feb 24th, 2009, 08:41 AM
I voted that I prefer to do it by myself. If it's my own car I only want to do it by myself just because I find it relaxing and it's a nice escape from a fast paced world. If I'm working on someone else's car I don't mind a little help if they know what they're doing.

Bill Prentice
Feb 24th, 2009, 08:35 PM
As a hobbist I don't have any professional clientel so to what I'll do is talk with a friend, we'll take a friday off, put some ribs in the smoker and spend the day doing the car... I keep meaning to do the before and after pictures, but the results have really by great and my firends really enjoy it and are very appreciative. A couple of them now love to detail. My futher son in law ("old whats his face") was really taken with it...

Bill P.

nick22
Feb 25th, 2009, 10:18 AM
detailing by myself.
its faster and relaxer.
control over my own work

Mr Mustang
Feb 25th, 2009, 08:17 PM
I put sometimes. I'm trying to get my sister who will be driving soon keeping better care of what she will drive than our parents do. Most of the time I end up doing it solo though

gb387
Feb 26th, 2009, 10:03 AM
Never have as it seems nobody around my area shares the same passion that I do for detailing... well nobody that I know anyway. So can't say one way or the other.

Andy M.
Mar 6th, 2009, 03:30 PM
I don't mind detailing with other people especially if I can help them to learn something new and help them do take care of their own vehicles better.

Andy M.

barry
Mar 7th, 2009, 04:44 PM
I prefer just me only.

myaeger18
Mar 12th, 2009, 06:46 AM
Most of the time I like to be by myself. I like to zone out of daily life and problems and just concentrate on the vehicle. I also have a radio out my garage kind of loud when I detail so I don't want to keep saying, "what?" because I can't hear them. :chuckle1

Zeta Detail
Mar 19th, 2009, 09:41 AM
I think that spending so many hours, sometimes up to several days, working alone on a car can be tedious. I always enjoy getting a friendly hand from somebody else.

PaintPolisher
Mar 19th, 2009, 10:55 AM
I really enjoy working with others. Having been a certified coach in my business and sports careers I offer coaching sessions for those who wish to learn proper process, techniques, supplies and equipment.

We work on their car, they bring whatever supplies and equipment they have and we follow my written agenda. Everything we do, and why as a detailer has a reason and is part of the process.

They can bring a buddy, significant other, son or daughter. They do 80% of the work; I am observing their process and techniques to correct as needed.

Some want to learn just how to wash and dry their car, some want to learn just the interior, some want both and the car enthusiasts’ wants everything and more. I also coach those who may wish to become a detailer.

I do this by appointment only and yes there is a nominal charge which I wave off if they pay for lunch and dinner generally at local sandwich shop. Most do give me a tip.

I believe that I learn more from them then they do from me. My best references for new business are from these folks I have worked with. They help market my business for me. It works for me and I get to have some fun working. :doublethumbsup2

al

CieraSL
Apr 5th, 2009, 09:59 AM
I voted sometimes. If it's claybarring or polishing or waxing I like to have somebody help me. Otherwise I just like to do everything myself, that way I know what's going on and where I'm at in the process.

MyFirstES300
Apr 5th, 2009, 05:38 PM
Yes. I have a buddy and since we both work the same way, it gets the job done faster. He's better and more patient with interiors than I am!

MrCLRider
Apr 7th, 2009, 03:34 AM
I prefer alone because I will end up starting to just talk to much and it seems that when I talk, my hands quite working, LOL.

Darth Raider
Apr 15th, 2009, 05:31 PM
I've been detailing since 1965, and I've always loved woking with younger guys and picking up new techniques. I owned a detail production shop for about seven years back in the 70's, and I've watched automotive paint change quite a bit over the years. The day you think you know it all, a new product, a new method, a new paint process, or even a new type of buffer will ultimately come out that you don't know a damn thing about! You either keep up or fall behind, and I've always preferred to keep up. It's still a fun thing to me after all these years, and it's still a challenge. I recently attended one of Mike Phillips' classes and picked up a few new things that I've already incorporated into my detailing. "So you see, you can still teach an old dog new tricks!" :xyxthumbs

Peace,

Chief

davey g-force
Apr 15th, 2009, 06:40 PM
To me, detailing is a private thing. I find it relaxing and satisfying.

My friends or family have never really shared my passion, so I prefer to just do it alone.

acsuppa
Apr 16th, 2009, 10:02 AM
Alone for me.

G6GTowner
Apr 16th, 2009, 10:35 AM
I must say I like detailing by myself. If there is someone else there, I can't have that special bonding time with my precious car, and every loving man loves spending some quality time with his baby. (Yes hun, of course I'm talking about you...)

Maserati Mario
Apr 16th, 2009, 10:39 AM
Yes!
You can always learn something from everybody, good or BAD!

john m.
Apr 16th, 2009, 12:57 PM
Yes, and no for me. I really like detailing with friends, but also like having that satisfaction of knowing I did it all myself

tripwuzhere
May 3rd, 2009, 11:08 AM
its always kewl to have a bud or even the girlfriend helping

Eddie6th
Jun 3rd, 2009, 05:19 PM
It just never occured to me.I always do it alone.

GMZ
Jul 15th, 2009, 12:40 PM
On my car, never. I dont trust people and I get way to immersed in it, and I like it that way. Its cool though to have a buddy do his car at the same time. Back when I had a 350Z the apartments I was in had a free 2 bay car wash station (spray only!) and we were always in there with some cold ones, it was a good time.

dope92cc
Jul 15th, 2009, 12:57 PM
I perfer to work alone, unless I had a clone of myself.... Or another OCD detailer to do carpets and engine bays would be fine.

Calais
Sep 7th, 2009, 07:45 AM
If I could find someone that I could trust to work on a car then I would love some help. Short of someone from here or Autopia I would not allow it. I cannot guarantee the quality of my work if it is not all my own. Besides, it takes only one mistake to ruin a hard day's work detailing.

paudashlake
Sep 7th, 2009, 08:34 AM
If I knew someone that wanted to help and had the experience I do, maybe, but then I would have to share the profits =]

DetailFreak517
Apr 24th, 2010, 01:20 PM
I generally prefer working by myself at my own pace. If I work with someone, it has to be a person that I personally have trained and who I know will do the job the way I show them to do it.

BobbyG
Oct 8th, 2010, 09:10 AM
I don't mind detailing with others as long as they're working on their car and I'm working on mine! This way I can tell them what they're doing wrong! :nono1

Bill Davidson
Oct 8th, 2010, 11:03 AM
It put sometimes. When it comes down to serious detailing I work alone. However, I like to help my girlfriend work on her car. She likes to learn and it's fun to work together. She never helps me do my vehicles though. Go figure. :chuckle1

aris
Oct 8th, 2010, 04:13 PM
I prefere doing it my self cause i know it will be done right lol

stealth
Nov 20th, 2010, 04:23 PM
Alone, had employees, some decent, but not time sensitive- either late or touching the cell phone w/the back turned instead of being results oriented. I gave them an early retirement pkg.: be on time & leave the cell in the safe or motor on! My overhead is low & net/hr is+++++.