PDA

View Full Version : Do You Wear a Mask When Detailing?

Carfire
Mar 18th, 2009, 07:04 PM
I was wondering if you guys wear masks when you polish cars?
I do not, my Dad (a Doctor) said yesterday when I was coughing it was probably from the polishing.:furious1

Carfire
Mar 18th, 2009, 07:05 PM
I Do Not, But this Poll Could Change my Mind.

Tuck91
Mar 18th, 2009, 07:06 PM
i have never actually thought of it, i am curious as well to see if people do

ClearlyCoated
Mar 18th, 2009, 07:25 PM
And risk missing out on my Last Touch or UWQ high? I think not... :D

Carfire
Mar 18th, 2009, 07:38 PM
I think it is fine to not wear a mask when using products like Last Touch and UQW
My question was more towards the Polishing aspect.
Sorry for the Confusion.

john m.
Mar 18th, 2009, 07:47 PM
never thought of it, i really wouldnt think it would be a problem??

ClearlyCoated
Mar 18th, 2009, 08:06 PM
It's probably not a bad idea if you're kicking up a lot of dust from the polish. Dust from any source, chemical or natural,can negatively impact the long term health of your lungs and the rest of your respiratory system.

I'm still worried about all the ethyl-methylketone (EMK) and acetone I soaked up through my hands as an aerospace worker in the 80's and 90's before both chemicals were banned as hazardous toxins. Guess I don't need to add to my repertoire of future health problems.

H.E.D
Mar 18th, 2009, 08:47 PM
you should wear a mask especially when working with products that contain
crystalline silica i think there's still a few out there. I always wear a mask and safety glasses especially when compounding.

Markus Kleis
Mar 18th, 2009, 10:00 PM
It's probably not a bad idea if you're kicking up a lot of dust from the polish. Dust from any source, chemical or natural,can negatively impact the long term health of your lungs and the rest of your respiratory system.

I'm still worried about all the ethyl-methylketone (EMK) and acetone I soaked up through my hands as an aerospace worker in the 80's and 90's before both chemicals were banned as hazardous toxins. Guess I don't need to add to my repertoire of future health problems. :eek::eek::eek:
That is seriously nasty stuff. I really hope you don't have problems, but sadly, I have heard many horror stories :(

Heatgain
Mar 19th, 2009, 01:42 AM
I have a Reagan mask I'll usually wear.

J. A. Michaels
Mar 19th, 2009, 01:47 AM
It depends. Sometimes I do.

ClearlyCoated
Mar 19th, 2009, 06:22 AM
:eek::eek::eek:
That is seriously nasty stuff. I really hope you don't have problems, but sadly, I have heard many horror stories :(Yep, that's why they were banned. But we didn't know back then. Those two chemicals were great for removing everything from aluminum and steel jet engine parts, and especially titanium. The worst part was that it was common practice for aerospace workers to use the same chems to remove grime and grease from our hands. Knock on wood, it's been nearly 20 years since I last touched those chemicals and I still haven't grown a third arm.

Mikejl
Mar 20th, 2009, 07:47 AM
Yep, that's why they were banned. But we didn't know back then. Those two chemicals were great for removing everything from aluminum and steel jet engine parts, and especially titanium. The worst part was that it was common practice for aerospace workers to use the same chems to remove grime and grease from our hands. Knock on wood, it's been nearly 20 years since I last touched those chemicals and I still haven't grown a third arm.
I met ClearlyCoated at the Open Garage yesterday and it's true he doesn't have a third arm, but he does have six fingers on each hand. :shocked1

I too have worked in Aerospace space since the early 70's. and most of the chemicals we used for degreasing are now banned. I used to keep squeeze bottles of Freon and MEK at my workbench for for cleaning parts for inspection. We thought nothing of it at the time. :nervous1

Mike

ClearlyCoated
Mar 20th, 2009, 07:11 PM
I met ClearlyCoated at the Open Garage yesterday and it's true he doesn't have a third arm, but he does have six fingers on each hand. :shocked1LOL! The 6 fingered hands give me a decided advantage for manually applying Ultimate Compound. Plus the chemical mutations allow me to spin my wrists at 5000 PRM's! :D

Tuck91
Mar 30th, 2009, 06:40 PM
My Uncle is a painter and has his own business and i work with him on the weekends and a couple of times a week and i enjoy helping him and learning new things. Today while sanding some wood doors and trim we got on the topic of how he wears a mask when spraying paint, whether its inside a house or spray painting a car. He said its important to work in a well ventilated area. He also went on to say that some chemicals in compounds and cleaner/polishes shouldnt be breathed in, not sure if this goes for Meguiars products or not. Even if he was wrong i wouldnt argue with him because he has been painting for 32 years and i like to show respect for my uncle and wouldnt try to act like i a Pro at anything. But he just said to wear a mask when painting and said it couldnt hurt to wear a mask when detailing for an extended period of time with a strong smelling product

Bounty
Apr 11th, 2009, 04:17 PM
I don't, but then again I have a DA not a rotary and don't do anything more heavy than swirl removal. I do however ALWAYS wear gloves (the nitrile ones)...even when washing/claying/waxing/interior/etc.

Who knows...maybe I'm just weird? :dunno

acsuppa
Apr 11th, 2009, 04:46 PM
I never have. No real need. None of Meguiar's products are harsh so I find no need for a mask for any of there products whether a cleaner or paint product like wax, polish etc.

Deaner5
Apr 12th, 2009, 12:10 PM
I think it would all depend on the products. I used to work at at motorcycle dealership cleaning bikes and one of the products we would use was an orange degreaser that smelled really orangy and works really well, but too much certainly didn't do me any favors.

I also have allergies to dust mites (which are everywhere all of the time) and some sort of grass that I think is around in the spring. Right now is a pretty high allergy time of year with everything now starting to get growing and such.

I think we need to know more about your cough to really tell (granted I'm not a doctor, maybe someone on here is). Was it a persistent smokers like cough or more of a sneezing itchy watery eyes issues. Plus unless you have this for a really long period of time to where it becomes chronic, I wouldn't worry.

HemiMopar
Apr 12th, 2009, 04:43 PM
I do quite often. Mainly so the neighbors can't recognize me and say there is that crazy guy washing his car again... IN THE RAIN!!!

PuDeN
May 4th, 2009, 07:19 PM
I do wear masks sometimes. . . but if I use APC or SuperD i will wear masks and gloves.

angeloabbattista
May 11th, 2009, 07:25 AM
I wear a mask and gloves when using Wheel Brightener, APC & SDegreaser

eyezack87
May 23rd, 2009, 10:07 PM
Better safe than sorry, thats what I always say :)

rusty bumper
Jul 21st, 2009, 07:51 AM
I wear a mask and gloves when using Wheel Brightener, APC & SDegreaser
You might want to add a pair of safety glasses with that product.

The first time I opened WB, the fumes caused my breathing to tighten up a bit...even after I watered it down as directed!

rusty bumper
Jul 21st, 2009, 07:57 AM
I'm still worried about all the ethyl-methylketone (MEK) and acetone I soaked up through my hands as an aerospace worker in the 80's and 90's before both chemicals were banned as hazardous toxins. Guess I don't need to add to my repertoire of future health problems.
That's news to me.

I used it myself for six years.

MEK is some strong stuff. I've seen it penetrate rubber gaskets with ease. Not to mention it is a fire hazard, and I've heard it was very explosive too.

rusty bumper
Jul 21st, 2009, 08:03 AM
you should wear a mask especially when working with products that contain
crystalline silica i think there's still a few out there. I always wear a mask and safety glasses especially when compounding.

Some of you may have already seen this thread, but I thought I would post a link (http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389&highlight=crystalline) to it again concerning Crystalline Silica.

kesawi
Aug 3rd, 2009, 10:20 PM
Having regularly dealt with workplace health and safety and the use of hazardous chemicals at work, the first step to determine whether you require respiratory protection is to read the Material Safety Data Sheets for the products you will be using. Meguiars make them available online at the following location:

http://www.meguiars.com/msds/

You will then need to assess your likely exposure to the products and based on the advice in the MSDS consider the appropriate personal protective equipment that is necessary for your individual circumstances. Someone working in a closed space with no ventilation will have different risks and exposures to someone working outside in a light breeze.

hot rod
Jan 2nd, 2010, 12:43 PM
When I do boats with lots of oxidation. Maybe someone from Meguiars will chime in on this.

tcope1
Jan 2nd, 2010, 01:20 PM
I don't wear a mask or gloves but I do wear ear plugs when doing paint correction.

DualActionDetail
Apr 21st, 2010, 11:26 AM
I bought some masks today to wear while compounding since sometimes it kicks out a lot of dust. $3 or $4 for a dozen from the home store.

DetailFreak517
Apr 21st, 2010, 11:37 AM
I only wear a mask to paint.... past that no.

rescuenut10
Dec 28th, 2010, 07:09 PM
I've been using gloves, a dust mask and saftey glasses for a little while. Gloves really are keeping the stuff from going straight to your liver. Never really thought about earplugs, I have ringing in my ears all the time from other adventures in life (firefighting).

the other pc
Dec 29th, 2010, 10:35 AM
Look at all those swirls!
http://www.lonerangerfanclub.com/images/lrtcolor.gif

Innovative Detailing
Dec 30th, 2010, 08:41 PM
If the job requires heavy correction a mask is sometimes used....Now would you trust a guy like this wearing a mask to do detail your vehicle.....you should!

I recently had the opportunity to do a paint correction for Tesla Motors and was assisted by this masked villan, any guesses on who the masked mystery man is??

http://i327.photobucket.com/albums/k448/Havasulvr/2011%20Tesla%20Roadster%20paint%20correction/DSC_0473.jpg

Black1
Dec 31st, 2010, 07:47 AM
Look at all those swirls!

LMAO!!!! :D:rofl:

CAL's
Apr 28th, 2011, 11:47 AM
Whenever I am sanding... yes, but I never thought it is warranted in the polishing process since the product we use are usually wiped off before they solidify.

Besides I have never seen the instructors in the videos wearing a mask unless sanding was involved.

rusty bumper
Apr 29th, 2011, 10:10 PM
I sure could have used a mask this week.

The pollen killed my sinuses. :cry1