PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Fill The Wash Bucket?

Megafast13
Mar 28th, 2009, 06:28 PM
Just wondering what you guys do. I see people do it differently. Others say one is right, the other's wrong, etc.

AeroCleanse
Mar 28th, 2009, 06:29 PM
I use ONR and mixed up 55 gallons, then I just add what I need to the wash bucket.

Carfire
Mar 28th, 2009, 08:04 PM
Water First

Ganesa
Mar 28th, 2009, 08:06 PM
i put water first, and the suds/foam will appear as i put the sponge/mitt in... :]

eyezack87
Mar 28th, 2009, 08:42 PM
I have my foam cannon for suds so I do water first in the bucket :)

onawrxhigh
Mar 28th, 2009, 09:10 PM
I will usually fill a 5 gallon bucket with about 4 gallons of water, put in my grit guard, let the remain air bubbles disipate(which allows the grit gaurds to float), then I add my car wash of choice(hyper wash), give a bit of a stirring with the mit to get the soap well mixed then procede from there.

Andrew

Bunky
Mar 29th, 2009, 03:08 AM
I had been doing soap first then water but got tired to dealing with all the suds so I have switched to adding soap when the bucket is almost full. For products like ONR, it really does not matter since they do not generate much in suds.

J. A. Michaels
Mar 29th, 2009, 04:18 AM
I always add water then the soap.

MyFirstES300
Mar 29th, 2009, 07:24 AM
I used to add soap first for many years! Then I found the suds went up so high I couldn't tell if I had enough water in the bucket!

That Sam Guy
Mar 29th, 2009, 07:34 AM
I don't use a bucket at all unfortunately. But I voted water first as that just makes more sense to me.

Ganesa
Mar 29th, 2009, 10:51 AM
dont use a bucket?? but you do use a foam gun rite ? hehe :]

Tuck91
Mar 29th, 2009, 11:55 AM
i fill the bucket up with water first, i started doing that when i saw Mike Phillips Show car washing video.

ClearlyCoated
Mar 29th, 2009, 12:44 PM
^ +1

Water first, then 4 oz of GC using a 1/2 cup plastic measuring cup with a handle. I swirl in the soap and then agitate the water holding the measuring cup by it's handle. When I feel the soap is sufficiently mixed, I "brake" the water by holding the measuring cup steady, counter to the swirling water, to clean off residual shampoo. I get a good mix of suds and solution.

Silverado12
Mar 29th, 2009, 02:15 PM
Definitely fill with water first. I have my wash bucket marked at the three and four gallon marks, depending on the size of the car I'm washing; cars get three gallons and trucks/SUV's get four gallons of water. I then have a 1/2 cup (4 oz.) measuring cup that I use to measure out my soap. Meguiars recommends 1 oz of soap per gallon of water, so I use 3-4 oz. of soap based on my water level. After that, I rinse my measuring cup off in the water to get all the soap out. Then, I swirl the water around by hand to thoroughly mix & dillute the soap. Finally, I place my grit guard and mitt in the bucket and I'm ready to go.

ezrre
Mar 29th, 2009, 11:17 PM
What's the difference?

Will my car get cleaner if I add water first?

:scratchhead1

Ganesa
Mar 30th, 2009, 01:21 AM
dont think theres any difference, but if you pour in the soap first then as you fill the bucket with water, there tends to be more suds than water, and you wont be able to see when the bucket reaches the right amount of water... so thats why i think it would be better to fill the bucket with water first so there is not too much water..

plz CMIIW (im still learning too) :]

JamieR
Mar 30th, 2009, 07:44 AM
I used to add the soap first and make sure I got lots of bubbles, but since joining this forum, I have mended my ways and now fill the buckets first, then add the soap.That way I know the soap measured is properly mixed with the correct amount of water. Just one of about 1000 tips I have picked up here....
Jamie

That Sam Guy
Mar 31st, 2009, 06:13 AM
dont use a bucket?? but you do use a foam gun rite ? hehe :]

Nope, no foam gun. Unfortunately I don't have much choice but to use a Pay N' Spray. :sosad1

Ultraman
Apr 1st, 2009, 04:57 AM
I fill up half of the bucket with water, place the soap, then fill up the other half. I like to see some suds.

BlueZero
Apr 2nd, 2009, 06:08 PM
I put in a bit of water then add the soap then add the rest of the water.

HemiMopar
Apr 12th, 2009, 06:21 AM
I've seen the video but I just can't force myself to add the water first. I put in a couple GLUGS of soap, hit it with jet from the hose, and fill it until the soap flows over the bucket.

Once trick I do is halfway up I submerge the nozzle into the water and suds and it doesn't bubble as much so I get a 1/2 to 3/4 filled with water.

Chop
Apr 13th, 2009, 09:10 PM
Interesting topic.

Here is how I do it after all the tips from all around. :D

Fill my bucket with water till barely 3 gallons. Then I add the 3 oz of soap. I have a plastic cup that I marked to the 3oz level. I mix the soap in and then do a final spray in the water with hose to get suds all the way to the top.

MrWaxer
Apr 14th, 2009, 05:58 AM
I've alway's done soap first then water for sud's. I always thought the more sud's the better is this wrong??

supercharged
Apr 14th, 2009, 06:43 AM
soap first...always...I don't wanna waste 4-5 oz of soap creating wash solution, I'd rather have some suds...Shampoo Plus doesn't foam too much, 2 oz of shampoo, then 2 gallons of water...

ColonelCash
Apr 14th, 2009, 10:07 AM
little water --> soap --> more water. Adding a couple ounces of water before the soap lets the soap move easier, doesn't settle on the bottom of the bucket. I use Gold Class FWIW.

CumminsCrazed
Apr 20th, 2009, 12:05 PM
well, until i saw mikes video a few days back i had ALWAYS added a very small amt of water to bucket, then soap then blasted the bucket and got a LOAD of suds, which i thought was correct. Now i know better, but havent washed a vehicle yet since seeing the vid. I also need a second bucket, a couple grit guards and something other than beach/bath towels to dry the vehicle with!

10degreesbtdc
May 31st, 2009, 03:28 PM
Here's an idea I use. when you have a new, or even used bottle of soap mark on it with a sharpie dividing it into 3oz or 4oz sections (approx). Then you don't need a measuring cup. :D

Personally I put soap in first and submerge the nozzle when filling and get just the right amount of suds, I think. I've been using ONR more and more though.

ClearlyCoated
May 31st, 2009, 03:36 PM
well, until i saw mikes video a few days back i had ALWAYS added a very small amt of water to bucket, then soap then blasted the bucket and got a LOAD of suds, which i thought was correct. Now i know better, but havent washed a vehicle yet since seeing the vid. I also need a second bucket, a couple grit guards and something other than beach/bath towels to dry the vehicle with!Yep. The ol' Poor Man's Gilmour Foam Gun. I think we've all been that guy before finding MOL.

Eddie6th
May 31st, 2009, 04:52 PM
I always put a blob of soft gel in the bottom of the bucket and then put my finger over the outlet to get as much pressure as possible(with,luke warm water),and i get tons of foam an' suds....lovley jubbly mmmm.

i just tell by the weight,how much water is in there.plenty for one car.

Solipsist
Jun 1st, 2009, 08:27 AM
I fill the bucket to 3/4 then add the car wash, then I add a bit more water to swish it around a bit more, as I've noticed that NXT generation needs a bit of swishing to incorporate it, (and yes, I believe swish is the technical term, hehe :chuckle1)

Jossy92
Jun 16th, 2009, 06:29 AM
Water first, soap, then a short burst from the hose to mix the soap with minimal suds.

brims
Jun 16th, 2009, 07:50 AM
When researching the 2 bucket method I came across the recommendation to fill with water then add soap otherwise you get too many suds, not enough water. So I tried it out, like it, and continue with it.

MrWaxer
Jun 17th, 2009, 06:22 PM
I alway's thought the more sud's the better???

ninobrn99
Jun 26th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Water first, soap, then a short burst from the hose to mix the soap with minimal suds.
my method too. Gotta have some suds.

01GPGT
Jun 26th, 2009, 05:17 PM
All plan on how I am feeling and weather or not I have the soap right next to me. If I do not have it right next to me I will fill with water and then put it in and mix it up. Other times I will put some water in and then soap and then more water.

dope92cc
Jun 26th, 2009, 05:23 PM
Water first but I blast the mix with more water a few times to get mo suds

JohanD
Oct 8th, 2009, 10:33 PM
I like some suds but NOT like when you pour a root beer and get tons of suds with 1" of drink at the bottom.

When I fill up the bucket, I put the water first and then the gold class car wash.

SHYNEMAN123
Oct 10th, 2009, 06:46 AM
Soap first 5 gal bucket,place hose( without nozzle) in bottom of bucket and fill
The pressure from the hose will mix the soap and by having the hose end under the water during filling you will get some suds but a full bucket of washing liquid and not have foam all over.

weis
Oct 10th, 2009, 10:12 PM
my vote is water then soap.. after that with meg's MF mitts inside... i squeeze the mitt repeatedly to build up the suds (just a bit though).. :D

Josh9131
Oct 11th, 2009, 04:19 AM
I add water, then soap, then agitate, then get to washing.

Lydia
Oct 11th, 2009, 06:42 PM
Nope, no foam gun. Unfortunately I don't have much choice but to use a Pay N' Spray. :sosad1

I use the pay 'n spray sometimes too, but whenever I do, I bring a bucket with me. I spray it down nicely, then wash it with the bucket and wash mitt, then hose it down one last time. Costs a little bit more that way but it works. There has never been so many people the bays are full, so I don't really see how it's a problem. I asked the guy one time when he was working there and he said he guessed it's alright.

On the original topic, I put water first, then soap, then I spin around the grit guard a few times to mix the soap in, and sometimes spray a little more water in for a few suds.

paul.segovich
Nov 3rd, 2009, 03:01 AM
In the past I've always been a fan of suds. It just makes it seem like you're really doing something. But i didn't really know what it was that i was doing. Nor did i care about the amount of soap used haha. I was pretty reckless.
I've heard somewhere that the suds causes a sort of 'lubrication' if your car is extra dirty though.
Has anyone else heard anything like this?
If it wasn't true, why would companies even make a solution that suds like that?
I guess i'm still a bit naive.

tcope1
Nov 14th, 2009, 08:46 AM
In the past I've always been a fan of suds. It just makes it seem like you're really doing something. But i didn't really know what it was that i was doing. Nor did i care about the amount of soap used haha. I was pretty reckless.
I've heard somewhere that the suds causes a sort of 'lubrication' if your car is extra dirty though.
Has anyone else heard anything like this?
If it wasn't true, why would companies even make a solution that suds like that?
I guess i'm still a bit naive.Good point/question.

It's the adding of air that makes the bubbles/suds. Does this make the product better as it's job of being a lubricant or removing dirt better? I think one purpose of a foam gun is so the soap sticks the vehicle as opposed to running off.

I'd have to guess and say that suds probably do contain more soap vs water then the combo with no suds. But I'd also think once the suds are applied with a mitt full of water that it's not going to make much of a difference.

speed3blackmica
Nov 17th, 2009, 01:17 PM
its still decently warm here in NJ during the day..highs during the day are around 55-62 degrees..but when it gets really cold i unfortuanetly have to shut off my water supply to the hose outside as the pipes freeze..it gets really cold here..i have self serve car wash..its 3 bucks for 5 minutes of using the pressure washer, foam brush........................of course i dont use the foam brush !! lol i plan on going there in the winter to use their water supply..the only thing that ***** is that id have to use 3 dollars to get the water going to fill up both of my buckets and then rinse down the car real good...i wont have enough time to get my car washed with my soap and mitt...the time would be up by the time i got to even just half way aroudn the car..and i like to take my time washing my car being careful to not press to hard on the paint and ensuring i get every bit of my car...and of course i make sure i rinse my mitt thoroughly which all takes time which you cannot possibly do in 5 minutes. so i guess ill be paying 6 dollars for 10 minutes...its the best i can do to keep it clean in the winter

CAShine
Dec 9th, 2009, 07:14 PM
Little water in the bucket first, then pour in soap, then suds up with the rest of the water. I find it mixes the soap with the water pretty well.

Fly Bye
Dec 9th, 2009, 11:07 PM
With a hose.

geert dr
Jan 20th, 2010, 04:49 PM
I put the soap ( NXTshampoo) in first,then fill with water with the nozzle of the hoze on full strenght.
This helps to dissolve the soap and creates much foam witch i like .

When the bucket is filled about 1/3 , i keep the nozzle submurged and facing sideways untill the bucket is full, this prevents the extreme build-up of foam and bubbles !

POPPAJ
Jun 28th, 2010, 11:16 AM
From the top!

Ravi_1992
Aug 15th, 2010, 08:09 AM
I fill the bucket with 3 1/2 gallons, then add soap, then blast it with water untill there is about 4 gallons in the bucket. ( or until the suds start over flowing )

FinalTouchDetail
Aug 15th, 2010, 08:12 AM
If I don't use my foamgun I do soap and then water.

I add the soap, fill the water up about 2 gallons without the hose nozzle, and then use the hose nozzle to spray and agitate it until full.

Blue Apollo IV
Aug 21st, 2010, 05:04 PM
definitely always soap first, then water...I love the suds!

Bill Davidson
Aug 21st, 2010, 06:34 PM
I'm going to have to bring out the air compressor. This poll is getting too close for comfort... go water first guys goooo!!!!:dp:

I'll fill my bucket with water, then add the soap, then I'll blast the bucket with compressed air. I'll have more bubbles than you soap first guys can dream of.

I might end up soaked with soapy water, but it will be at the appropriate concentration :chuckle1

Ravi_1992
Aug 21st, 2010, 06:39 PM
:werd1
Yea I used both ways before and I like filling with water first, If you put soap first and then blast with water, you get a bucket full of suds and an overly concentrated mix

Shawn T.
Sep 28th, 2010, 01:39 PM
I sort of combine both ways. I fill the bucket up about 3/4 of the way and follow that with a strong stream of water. I get about 4 gallons of solution with a nice top layer of foam. This way, after I dip my mit into the solutiion, I get some suds on the way up.

Shawn T.
Sep 28th, 2010, 02:34 PM
Sort of left out a part. I fill the bukcet 3/4 of the way, add the soap, mix it, and then use a string jet.

EPHIOS
Oct 28th, 2010, 08:47 PM
I fill my buckets first with 3 gallons of water (Soap and Rinse buckets), then add car soap. Then, stir the water and soap solution with my hand (make sure its clean). Finally, I would drop my Grit Guards down the buckets.

MARKCORE
Jun 29th, 2011, 04:18 AM
1/4 water, soap, then the rest of the water. Dont fear the suds!!