PDA

View Full Version : Snake Oil???

fastsleeper
Apr 1st, 2009, 10:05 AM
I purchased my 2008 Mustang Bullitt this past June. I was 'arm twisted' into having a product called XZILON applied to the outside and inside of my car. I was told this product would protect all surfaces from scratches, water spots, etc. on the outside and any marring, cracking, or damage from any substance spilled or the sun on the inside. I was told NOT to use any wax or any other car care products on or in the car. I was told to use the micro-fibre cloths and water only to clean both outside and inside of car.

I have used bottled water in a spray bottle and the micro fibre cloths only. However, I now have a car covered with tennie tiny scratches from the cloths. I also can't seem to get the windows clean.

Sooooooo....What do you know of this product, XZILON? I am attending the Car Care Class on this coming Saturday. (Hurray!) Just thought I'd ask ahead of time. Ripped off on the XZILION?:confused:

Thank You!

Bert31
Apr 1st, 2009, 10:10 AM
I purchased my 2008 Mustang Bullitt this past June. I was 'arm twisted' into having a product called XZILON applied to the outside and inside of my car. I was told this product would protect all surfaces from scratches, water spots, etc. on the outside and any marring, cracking, or damage from any substance spilled or the sun on the inside. I was told NOT to use any wax or any other car care products on or in the car. I was told to use the micro-fibre cloths and water only to clean both outside and inside of car.

I have used bottled water in a spray bottle and the micro fibre cloths only. However, I now have a car covered with tennie tiny scratches from the cloths. I also can't seem to get the windows clean.

Sooooooo....What do you know of this product, XZILON? I am attending the Car Care Class on this coming Saturday. (Hurray!) Just thought I'd ask ahead of time. Ripped off on the XZILION?:confused:

Thank You!

Products like Xzilon and 5 Star are profit margin boosters for dealerships. It basically is a coating the put on your car which does have pretty good durability but not 5 years like they claim. My uncle has terrible arthritis in his hands and he had Xzilon put on his car for free by a Xzilon rep he knows. While I think I could have made his car look better with regular detailing, I will give him credit, after four years his car does look better than 90% of the four year old cars on the road today. Still, I would prefer to take my car to a better look with traditional polishing.

Bert31
Apr 1st, 2009, 10:14 AM
Oh, I am having trouble believing that Xzilon or any of the others will protect against scratches and marring. The next time I see my uncle's car, I will see if the paint is swirled.

Also, should you have decide to polish the paint, you may want to ask a paint shop or a body shop how to remove the Xzilon. I am told polishing cars with Xzilon on them is a real pain in the butt and wears out your buffing pads pretty quickly. Just what I have heard.

Mike Phillips
Apr 1st, 2009, 10:21 AM
Is your grandfather's car parked outside all the time and driven often or parked in the garage most of the time and not driven as often as the average daily driver?

Just curious because for example my Grandma an Grandpa were retired and both their cars were always garage kept and since they didn't work they hardly ever drove anywhere.

In a situation like I described above any wax would last a long time and look great.

Make sense?

:)

Bert31
Apr 1st, 2009, 10:26 AM
Is your grandfather's car parked outside all the time and driven often or parked in the garage most of the time and not driven as often as the average daily driver?

Just curious because for example my Grandma an Grandpa were retired and both their cars were always garage kept and since they didn't work they hardly ever drove anywhere.

In a situation like I described above any wax would last a long time and look great.

Make sense?

Yes that does make sense. I would say the answer lies somewhere in between. The car is garaged when not driven but is driven almost as much as a daily driver if that makes sense.

Mike Phillips
Apr 1st, 2009, 10:30 AM

We practice a rule on this forum that states,

Forum Rules (http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20635)

4. No bashing any company or their products. No bashing other people. If you can't say anything nice about someone, then don't say anything at all.

So lets keep this discussion on the "idea" of paint sealants, and not any specific name brand.

It's pretty simple really, if a car is a daily driver that is touched in some way, (washed, wiped, etc.), then nothing will last forever and the paint will still become damaged over time.

If the car is always left in a garage with a soft car cover on it then most waxes will last a long time and no damage, i.e. swirls and scratches will be instilled.

As for dealer applied paint sealants go, as already pointed out, these are "Profit Add-ons" that help the dealership to increase the profit made on a sale with little or no investment.

If there truly is a miracle sealant that protects against damage to the paint, why wouldn't the handful of paint companies offer this in their paint systems they provide to the car manufactures or at least as an add-on, or why doesn't the car manufacture add this to the paint as the car travels down the assembly line after being painted?

There's no such thing as a miracle wax. The Internet has reduced the profitability in the sales of new cars and so as a result, to make-up for this loss in profits based upon the selling price of the car other means must be focused on including selling customers paint sealants.

Get your warranty or whatever came with the paint sealant and read all the fine print, see if anywhere in it you can bring the car back to restore the show room new finish they promised the product would preserve.

Maserati Mario
Apr 1st, 2009, 10:48 AM
So sorry to hear of this
I can only say live and learn
But here on MOL you can learn from others.

fastsleeper
Apr 1st, 2009, 02:17 PM
Thank you everyone for your feedback. I appreciate your help! I know little to nothing about paint sealant, or really much of anything on proper care of vehicles. (Sorry, I meant no disrespect to the company to which I referred.) I will check the paperwork that was given to me at time of purchase as you have suggested.

She is not garaged but I do cover her when not in use. I look forward to the class on Saturday and am very excited to have a "glass" car! Thanks again to all for your feedback.
fastsleeper

termigator69
Apr 1st, 2009, 04:08 PM
When I was buying my IS350 at the Lexus dealership, the finance manager tried to sell me their version of the super sealant you bought. He was charging $1000. Before trying to get me to buy, he went and showed me a black IS350 in their showroom which were, for some reason, lit by a whole bunch of tiny halogen lights. You would think it under those conditions (At a Lexus dealership no less!) they would have done a better job polishing the car, but all I saw under the lights were swirls everywhere! The finance manager had me feel how slick the finish was by feeling it with the back of my fingers. All I kept thinking was, "Ooooh...a waxed car with swirls..."

Did the dealership tell you if they will take care of the finish of the car? My neighbor bought a GS350 and bought the sealant stuff for "only" $300. Everytime he sees so much as one water spot on his car, he takes it to the dealership and demands the car be detailed (which they happily do because Lexus bends over backwards to make you happy.:xyxthumbs). If they're willing to take care of your detailing needs at your whim, it might not be too bad of deal.:nervous1

fastsleeper
Apr 1st, 2009, 05:56 PM
When I was buying my IS350 at the Lexus dealership, the finance manager tried to sell me their version of the super sealant you bought. He was charging $1000. Before trying to get me to buy, he went and showed me a black IS350 in their showroom which were, for some reason, lit by a whole bunch of tiny halogen lights. You would think it under those conditions (At a Lexus dealership no less!) they would have done a better job polishing the car, but all I saw under the lights were swirls everywhere! The finance manager had me feel how slick the finish was by feeling it with the back of my fingers. All I kept thinking was, "Ooooh...a waxed car with swirls..."

Did the dealership tell you if they will take care of the finish of the car? My neighbor bought a GS350 and bought the sealant stuff for "only" $300. Everytime he sees so much as one water spot on his car, he takes it to the dealership and demands the car be detailed (which they happily do because Lexus bends over backwards to make you happy.:xyxthumbs). If they're willing to take care of your detailing needs at your whim, it might not be too bad of deal.:nervous1

Thanks for your response. Yes, I am going to speak to the dealer. They promised 5 years worth of impeccable finish on my car and in my car. As long as I use bottled water there are no water spots but if the car meets with water from a sprinkler, or such, then there are most definitely spots. boohoo :(

I hope to have this issue settled before coming up on Saturday. I LOVE detailing my car. The engine too. :)

fastsleeper
Apr 1st, 2009, 06:09 PM
So sorry to hear of this
I can only say live and learn
But here on MOL you can learn from others.

Thank you so much. :) Dealers do know when to swoop in and sell extra 'stuff' all around because the buyer is 'hot' with excitement and generally not knowing what the heck they are offering you but it anyway for the sake of the new Baby. Lesson learned albeit the hard, expensive way. I am very happy to have found this site and I dearly appreciate everyone's input.

fastsleeper

termigator69
Apr 1st, 2009, 06:21 PM
Thanks for your response. Yes, I am going to speak to the dealer. They promised 5 years worth of impeccable finish on my car and in my car. As long as I use bottled water there are no water spots but if the car meets with water from a sprinkler, or such, then there are most definitely spots. boohoo :(

I hope to have this issue settled before coming up on Saturday. I LOVE detailing my car. The engine too. :)

There you go. If they promised 5 years of "impeccable finish", then make them live up to their promise.:D

termigator69
Apr 1st, 2009, 06:31 PM
Oh yeah. I just had the class at Autogeek last week. You're going to love it. I had a great time and it was also really nice to meet some fellow detailing enthusiasts.:hotrod2

Bert31
Apr 2nd, 2009, 09:53 AM

I generally wouldn't trust a delearship to handle my detailing, even a Lexus dealer.

3Fitty
Apr 2nd, 2009, 10:04 AM
I don't let mine touch the exterior of my car. Vacuum yes, wash no.

Andrew C.
Apr 2nd, 2009, 10:55 AM
I generally wouldn't trust a delearship to handle my detailing, even a Lexus dealer.

Good call on not trusting the Lexus dealer. My dad has a lexus and the local delearship provides free car washes for any lexus customer. I cannot even begin to explain how swirled they have made his car from poor washing technique.:furious1

termigator69
Apr 2nd, 2009, 10:59 AM
That's too bad. My dealership promised me they wouldn't screw up the finish on my car and they've lived up to their promise. The finish has been perfect after they washed it everytime I've been there and I've had the car for over a year. I guess I got lucky.:D

3Fitty
Apr 2nd, 2009, 01:32 PM
Like everything, there are good dealers and bad ones. Unfortunately the three Lexus dealers I dealt with in NJ all stunk.

The one I deal with in Canada is much better, but I still wouldn't trust them to wash it.

Although, the garage I park in (daily) offers a hand wash (from a detailing company) with two buckets, grit guards and lambswool wash mits) for $20!!!! I don't know which soap they use, but they seem like they are pretty competent.

Bert31
Apr 2nd, 2009, 02:16 PM
Although, the garage I park in (daily) offers a hand wash (from a detailing company) with two buckets, grit guards and lambswool wash mits) for $20!!!! I don't know which soap they use, but they seem like they are pretty competent.

If I see them dumping their buckets, refilling with fresh water and using clean mitts for each car, I may feel somewhat safe letting the wash my car if it weren't for the fact that I actually enjoy caring for my car and prefer to wash it myself.

fastsleeper
Apr 3rd, 2009, 08:49 AM
Thanks again to all for your feedback! I really appreciate it.

So far, and probably forever, no one touches my car but my little mitts. :)
Since I am confused about all the ins and outs of finishes, etc., I just use bottled drinking water in a spray bottle, the soft micro cloths, and dry paint brushes for the little crevices. Same for the engine. The wheels and tires I use Meguiar's. I place towels all round the painted surfaces that may be touched by the vacuum hose.

The little scratches on the surface are from the 'rough' micro cloths. I look forward to learning how to rectify this problem. I haven't had time to call the dealer about the coating they put on and in my car.

Thanks again and keep the info. coming!:chuckle1:chuckle1

Eddie6th
Jun 2nd, 2009, 05:19 AM
Snake oils? I thought this thread was about synthetic engine oils.

dmiller
Jun 11th, 2012, 10:18 AM
I am very familiar with Xzilon. No way Xzilon is going to create swirl marks as it is applied by hand. I have noted the various opinions on this board concerning Xzilon and I have to say that few if any are accurate or fact based. History is full of people that could say "no way" and then found out that there is a way. Some of you seem to think you know all about how a new car dealer operates but nothing I've read is even close. Yes, if you leave a dealership in one of their cars you can be assured they made a profit. If you purchased a warranty, GAP insurance, credit insurance or any number of products and services offered through a dealers finance office you can be assured the dealer made a profit. So what? Does Meguiars not make a profit on the products they sell? That's the usual argument against anything sold by a car dealer. They make a profit on it so it can't be worth a damn....is an ignorant position to have concerning anything you know nothing about. Take advice from the narrow minded if you must but I suggest you engage your own brain power and decide for yourself after you have become informed and armed with facts not misinformation.

Michael Stoops
Jun 14th, 2012, 07:02 AM
A rather defensive first post, and made by bringing up a three year old thread. Nobody stated that Xzilon or any other similar product would actually create swirls, just that it certainly won't prevent them. Most of the actual negativity in this thread has been directed at poor maintenance processes offered by various dealerships; the comments regarding the product in question have been more extreme skepticism than anything else.

Nobody expects a dealer to do anything for free as we all understand that dealerships, like any other business, are in business to make a profit. That's all fine and well. But people expect, and should expect, to get real value for their hard earned money. Many of these coatings come with claims and promises that they simply can not live up to, and the price asked for them is rarely in keeping with the benefit provided. Hence, they aren't seen as being good value, that's all. Besides, when you're talking to a bunch of hard core detailing enthusiasts who take actual joy and pride in maintaining their vehicles to a very high standard, you'll never convince them that a simple coating, all by itself, is going to out perform what they're capable of. There are waxes on the market that cost several thousand dollars for a small jar - perfectly fine products, no doubt, but in and of themselves they aren't capable of correcting or preventing problems. Even the new crop of semi permanent coatings currently available for purchase to anyone with an internet connection and a credit card, good as they are, still require proper prep prior to application. And even though they are remarkably durable (much more so than anyone thought possible just a couple of years ago) they can still end up with swirls if poor wash techniques are used.

Case in point:

A few months ago I received the following email:

Have been using Meguiars for about 15 years and love your stuff.
I just purchased a new 2011 Chrysler 300C that is painted with "black
crystal pearl" paint (car built in April 2011). As soon as I got it
home I washed it with dawn and clay barred the body.
The dealer wants me to purchase a sealant known as -------. All the
people in the dealership and two body shops I called seem to think the
stuff is great. I have a DA machine and a rotary and know how to use
them. Plus, I like to take care of my vehicles and do not consider it
to be work.

From what I read on the forum, it appears that all recommend your
Ultimate Wax for the best protection. I used Gold Class and NXT on our
previous car (black) and it looked like new after ten years.

So my question is would you go with the dealer or would you suggest wax
and if so, which one?
I know you can't beat up the competition but you can comment on your
observations of products.

Your suggestions appreciated.

Regards,

My response was that, since he owns and knows how to use these tools, that tells me that he's rather particular about his vehicle's appearance and that in the long run he probably won't be happy with the dealer applied coating. So I recommended a thorough evaluation of the paint and then perhaps nothing more than M205 applied either by DA at speed 4 max, or rotary at no more than 1000 rpm and light pressure, then apply a coat of Ultimate Wax. The M205 would do wonders for the clarity of that Black Crystal Pearl paint, and UW would just enhance it even further. He took my advice and a couple of weeks later sent the following email as a follow up:

Just got the car finished, I was out of town and had to play catch-up.
Followed your suggestions and had a good workout with the car. Must
say that Barry has produced some very good stuff and it did an amazing
job. Car looks like it should. Went to dealer last Saturday and they
asked me how I made the car look so good even in rainy Seattle. A
customer even wanted to know how I did it. HeeeHeee.

Thanks again for taking time to reply to me and for the good advice and
great products, I am very pleased. Please tell Mr M. to keep it coming,
we are all car crazy.

So, even the dealer was impressed and a customer inquired about it! And the owner of this new 300C (and yes, he gave me permission to reprint his emails here on MOL) will ultimately be happier in the long run with his car - not to mention he saved several hundred dollars.

This all begs the question - what do you want out of your car's finish?

You get what you put into it, no doubt, but proper maintenance following a major correction is actually quite easy and can keep a car looking fantastic for a long period of time. You really shouldn't have to be doing a major correction every 6 months, or even every year, if your maintenance routine is top notch. And let's face it, frequent car care is easy car care.

Other that, we do not intend to continue beating this otherwise dead horse. This topic has come up several times here and on other detailing forums. We have no problem with someone disagreeing with what is a general consensus on this and other forums, but we do take issue with someone's first post essentially being an attack on our membership.

CreamPuff
Aug 11th, 2012, 11:05 PM
I am very familiar with Xzilon. No way Xzilon is going to create swirl marks as it is applied by hand. I have noted the various opinions on this board concerning Xzilon and I have to say that few if any are accurate or fact based. History is full of people that could say "no way" and then found out that there is a way. Some of you seem to think you know all about how a new car dealer operates but nothing I've read is even close. Yes, if you leave a dealership in one of their cars you can be assured they made a profit. If you purchased a warranty, GAP insurance, credit insurance or any number of products and services offered through a dealers finance office you can be assured the dealer made a profit. So what? Does Meguiars not make a profit on the products they sell? That's the usual argument against anything sold by a car dealer. They make a profit on it so it can't be worth a damn....is an ignorant position to have concerning anything you know nothing about. Take advice from the narrow minded if you must but I suggest you engage your own brain power and decide for yourself after you have become informed and armed with facts not misinformation.

I've been on MOL for some time now...this maybe an old thread, but a lot are.

I actually like Meguiar's Online because the sense of community is very very strong here, and you sir are extremely out of place here.

I actually bought a 2005 Acura TL on Feb 17th, 2006 and back then, I didn't know nearly as much as I do now about car detailing. Mine came with Xzilon and to be honest, it didn't hold up. The paint had swirls, water marks, etc. This Xzilon did nothing to protect it from the elements. But for me, I didn't care, because I told the dealership I didn't want it. I told them to take it off or else I wouldn't buy the car and they said they'll just throw it in for free...which makes me wonder if there was anything on there in the first place.

For you to say "no way Xzilon is going to create swirl marks as it is applied by hand" is complete garbage. At one of the Thursday Night Garage Sessions, one of the guys has such delicate paint on his car (this is a VERY new car too, it's probably a 2012), that using Quik Detail with a Micro fiber can put some very fine scratches into the paint.

To me, it's not worth it, and that's coming from someone who got it for free, and had it on their car. Only person I trust now is myself, and the staff at Meguiar's, and of course A LOT of members on this forum know what the heck they're doing!

Michael Stoops
Aug 13th, 2012, 12:08 PM
For you to say "no way Xzilon is going to create swirl marks as it is applied by hand" is complete garbage. At one of the Thursday Night Garage Sessions, one of the guys has such delicate paint on his car (this is a VERY new car too, it's probably a 2012), that using Quik Detail with a Micro fiber can put some very fine scratches into the paint.Tommy, that may very well be, but just as you can't blame the QD or the towel in and of themselves for marring this crazy delicate paint, you can't really blame this other product for any potential marring, either. If the paint has been properly prepped and the coating applied by hand with the proper applicator, there is no reason at all for it to cause any marring. Unless, of course, the paint is so crazy delicate that it will scratch if the wind blows hard enough!

The really tricky part here is not so much the application of the final coating, but trusting that the dealership can create a true swirl free finish prior to applying it. Let's face it, if your paint is a mess before you apply this or any of the new breed of readily available coatings on the market, it's not going to fix the issues. And we've all seen too many dealerships totally botch a detail job. Yes, there are many dealers who actually know how to do a proper detail job, but they are not the norm. But any way you slice it, we just don't see this particular product, in and of itself, causing any problems during the application process. The skill of the operator, as always, is the huge variable.

ffboy
Aug 13th, 2012, 05:29 PM
It could be a good product, I think it's a bit unfair to be a bit too harsh on so-called paint protection packages. There is a product for everyone, and maybe these types of paint preservation packages do offer something that clients find appealing. Some people just don't have the time, patience and interest in keeping their cars looking good. People who are content with having a good, reliable, solid car even if the paint isn't exactly in the best of shape, and would rather pay to keep it shiny and protected even if it costs a lot. However, I do find the promise of a specific period of time questionable.

Anyway, there are a lot of car care products a bit guilty of making some promises.

Thankfully, I enjoy keeping cars clean and looking as good as it can.

mswerb
Aug 13th, 2012, 06:18 PM
The dealership I worked for actually got Xzilon for FREE and was charged for each one they sold, but here's the catch. They set their own price. One dealership could sell it for $200, while another could charge $500!
From what I remember Xzilon has more of a liquid feel to it as opposed to the consistancey of wax. It was applied with a microfiber towel and that was it. No hazing, no buffing off. In my opinion a good coat of wax was just as good. As far as the interior protection that was offered, you just might as well buy yourself a can of Scotch Guard at your local parts store.

ffboy
Aug 13th, 2012, 08:25 PM
The dealership I worked for actually got Xzilon for FREE and was charged for each one they sold, but here's the catch. They set their own price. One dealership could sell it for $200, while another could charge $500!
From what I remember Xzilon has more of a liquid feel to it as opposed to the consistancey of wax. It was applied with a microfiber towel and that was it. No hazing, no buffing off. In my opinion a good coat of wax was just as good. As far as the interior protection that was offered, you just might as well buy yourself a can of Scotch Guard at your local parts store.

That is the scary part. There should at least be a standard price set for all the dealerships, maybe give and take a few dollars based on location. But being liberal on how much to charge is a big no to me. I think its unfair that the dealership or "franchise" or shop can charge whatever price they can. While I don't think Xzilon is a miracle product, the product itself has no reason why it can't be a good protective coating on the car.