PDA

View Full Version : Parking under a tree?

xantonin
May 26th, 2009, 09:35 AM
Is it a good idea or bad idea, in a hot location, to park under a tree for shade?

Living in Arizona, for a few days I thought it was a good idea. Until I got tree sap, leaves, dust, and bird droppings over my car. The trees here are also pretty pathetic and some only offer a small portion of shade.

Now I park in an open area of my work's parking lot, but my car is burning hot when it's time to go home.

Andrew C.
May 26th, 2009, 10:00 AM
It depends on if anything is falling off the tree like sap etc, or if there are lots of birds in the area pooping from the tree on your car.

If there is nothing falling on your paint, then yes, but if there is sap leaves dust and poo like you have said without very much shade, I wouldn't bother.

AeroCleanse
May 26th, 2009, 10:01 AM
For shade yes.

J. A. Michaels
May 27th, 2009, 08:29 AM
I would rather take my chances in the hot car. Too many contaminants are associated with the tree.

ceyko
May 27th, 2009, 08:30 AM
In this particular case I'd deal with heat.

MyFirstES300
May 27th, 2009, 08:50 AM
NEVER. I always end up with bird doo-doo on the car!

Alex C.
May 27th, 2009, 11:22 AM
I actually pick and choose which trees to park under and which to stay away from. Sap and bird poo are always on my mind though.:nervous1

Oh yeah, i voted "maybe".

eyezack87
May 27th, 2009, 11:39 AM
I don't bother with the shade. I always start my car and open my windows before doing a walk around it before going back in. By that time the car is cool enough not to kill me lol

dope92cc
May 27th, 2009, 04:44 PM
On the very rare occasion when I have to park in a lot. I park as far as I can and dangerously close to the curb. Sometimes that spot happens to be under a tree. Oh well. I'd rather get dirty than get more dings.

Tinted windows, cold AC and remote start. Sometimes it gets too cold!

Maserati Mario
May 27th, 2009, 08:01 PM
I park in the shade of trees.
I don't park where I can see poo on the ground and never under anything

HCAD
May 28th, 2009, 07:02 AM
The middle of a parking lot makes you buy a sunshade for the window, that's for sure! Otherwise I'll shoot for the shade of a tree, not under the tree. As the sun moves I loose the shade, but some is better than none.

Eddie6th
Jun 3rd, 2009, 05:20 PM
Depends on the tree,but i'm no tree surgeon.

davey g-force
Jun 3rd, 2009, 06:58 PM
I avoid trees at all costs. I'd rather have a hot car than a dirty one. :nervous1

bmwx5
Jun 22nd, 2009, 08:37 AM
I am avoiding trees as much as possible now because of tree sap and bird poo and other **** that might fall on your car. Just invest in a good car shade and open the doors to let the hot air out when you get back to your car

Calais
Jun 22nd, 2009, 08:59 AM
Bird droppings. Sap. :furious1

agp423
Jun 22nd, 2009, 09:13 AM
Depends on how long I'm parking there for. I think for a short period of time is fine.

FLINTstone
Jul 4th, 2009, 03:43 PM
Depends on the tree,but i'm no tree surgeon.

i agree with this. most pine/evergreen trees will throw sap on your car from needles/cones not to mention the pollen that comes off of them during certain parts of the year.

you just need to be observant of what species of tree you park under!

rusty bumper
Jul 9th, 2009, 04:42 PM
I like the shade a tree can give, but don't park under an evergreen, or worse yet a willow tree.

Andy M.
Jul 15th, 2009, 08:29 AM
I vote no. Just got done dealing with all the sap on my car last weekend!:furious1

Andy

GMZ
Jul 15th, 2009, 12:33 PM
I vote no. I have a tree that overhangs my driveway (its a rental so I cant cut it down) and I get leaves and **** on the car all the time. Id rather have that though than risk parking it on the street. Gives me an excuse to wash it more often :)

Zuke
Jul 27th, 2009, 10:46 AM
I just noticed a waterfall of sap pouring from the backside of a tree @ my new house, last night while waxing i saw a few "water drops" went to wipe them off with the supreme shine and smudged it all over. Tree sap IMO is worse than swirls!

spyghost
Sep 13th, 2009, 06:20 PM
don't you ever in your cars life ever park under a tree no matter what tree it is. whether its sunny or rainy, parking under any kind of tree is a bit NO NO!

1st - its bird's restroom
2nd - tree sap is PITA to remove specially those small drops that look like over spray
3rd - twigs/brances can cause marring, dents, scratches
4th - small leaves get into the vents, fenders, wiperblades and cause all sorts of nasty's
5th - everything else that's nasty

james0509
Sep 16th, 2009, 12:35 AM
NO, NO , NO, NEVER.

I'd rather take public transit.

Paul S
Nov 1st, 2009, 08:22 AM
There are a lot of variables when making that choice. What type of tree ? Are you parking short or long term ? Parking in shade to detail or just to escape the heat and sun fade ? I see different answers for all the above.

Paul S

Garage Troll
Nov 29th, 2009, 03:49 PM
I avoid trees. Some of the chemicals that are used on them end up in the berries that the birds eat and then all over my car. No thanks, I'll stick with the sun.

rascal
Jan 11th, 2010, 08:42 AM
Parking under a good tree for shade has one pro: Shade.

But the cons really outweigh the pros.

Cons: Bird droppings, tree sap, pollen, squirrels (dropping debris or themselves on your car), broken/dead tree limbs.

I try to stay away from trees as much as possible. I know the pecan trees here are horrible when it comes to sap. The sap is nearly impossible to get off the paint. I will park under a tree to detail, but I also use a pop up canopy too. This not only protects my detail job, but the extra shade really helps out on those long hot days of detailing. :D

rusty bumper
Jan 13th, 2010, 11:09 PM
Parking under a good tree for shade has one pro: Shade.

But the cons really outweigh the pros.

Cons: Bird droppings, tree sap, pollen, squirrels (dropping debris or themselves on your car), broken/dead tree limbs.

I try to stay away from trees as much as possible. I know the pecan trees here are horrible when it comes to sap. The sap is nearly impossible to get off the paint. I will park under a tree to detail, but I also use a pop up canopy too. This not only protects my detail job, but the extra shade really helps out on those long hot days of detailing. :D

Yeah...not to mention the dead limbs that fall out if the wind picks up.

Shawn T.
Apr 10th, 2010, 11:36 AM
I choose to park next to a curb in my high school parking lot. All of my fellow seniors do not know how to open doors without slamming the car next to them. It just so happens that an evergreen hangs over that curb spot so I am in a bind. I choose the tree over a new ding each day.

Matt Majeika
Aug 19th, 2010, 06:33 AM
I don't park under trees for shade. I'd rather deal with the hot car. Too many opportunities for falling sap, berries, sticks/branches, birds dropping "things"... I've seens sooo many cars become a complete mess from parking under a tree. I always wonder, was it worth it?

Matt Majeika
Aug 19th, 2010, 06:35 AM
I choose to park next to a curb in my high school parking lot. All of my fellow seniors do not know how to open doors without slamming the car next to them. It just so happens that an evergreen hangs over that curb spot so I am in a bind. I choose the tree over a new ding each day.

In your case, it's literally the lesser of 2 evils. You're probably right in saying that under the tree is better than a ding/dent. And it's not just your high school parking lot - it's ALL parking lots. People have no regard for others' cars.

I always think: "Just because you don't care about YOUR car, it doesn't give you the right to fling your door open into MINE..."

ortizmro
Oct 22nd, 2010, 09:47 AM
No way. I used to do this long ago, for shade. On a beautiful day in Jan 1990 at Fort Lee, VA, I did this. Came back out that afternoon and found a huge dead limb broke off of the tree, and smashed the roof of my car (which was a 1985 Toyota Celica). Yes, I got it fixed, but it never looked the same. Since then, I have never parked my car under a tree.

Innovative Detailing
Dec 17th, 2010, 10:02 AM
ABSOLUTELY NOT!.....

I know this is extreme, but I would rather enjoying driving my vehicle than cleaning up all the nasty sap or bird droppings....

http://i327.photobucket.com/albums/k448/Havasulvr/2004%20Honda%20Accord%20Tree%20Sap%20Removal/DSC_0029-1.jpg

I prefer to park remotely away from other vehicles to avoid dings or dents and I park under nothing unless it's my garage....

kristina27
Dec 17th, 2010, 10:38 AM
I would have to say maybe. It really all depend where you are at, the weather conditions ie. windy and if its a tall tree. I occasionally will park under the a tree for some shade but I decide by using the criteria from above.

MIBKC
Feb 26th, 2011, 06:19 PM
If and only if its Africa hot that day.

VoicesInMyHead
Mar 14th, 2011, 12:59 PM
I guess it depends on how long you park there...

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk97/Voices_InMyHead/carpoop.jpg

I hear ya though with the AZ heat - but I still park in the open, crack the windows, put up the window shade. Oh, and run the AC for a few min before getting back into it!

davey g-force
Mar 14th, 2011, 01:50 PM
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk97/Voices_InMyHead/carpoop.jpg

:eek: :eek: :eek: yikes yikes yikes :shocked1 :shocked1 :shocked1