PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Wash Dolly

Maserati Mario
May 26th, 2009, 06:11 PM
I didn't know if I wanted a wash dolly and wasn't going to shell out all that dough for something I might not like.

So I made one that holds my two buckets, also made a little area to hold stuff.
It works great! But I don't know if I like it yet...

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll43/MaseratiMario/5-26-9004.jpg

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll43/MaseratiMario/5-26-9005.jpg

CieraSL
May 26th, 2009, 06:16 PM
Cool! Did you treat the wood? Or how does it repel water so it doesn't eventually get destroyed?

Maserati Mario
May 26th, 2009, 06:20 PM
I was going to treat it but I still don't know if I'm going to keep it.
This is just a prototype.
If I do make a perminet one I'll use an oak and varnish and seam seal it all up.

CieraSL
May 26th, 2009, 06:23 PM
If I do make a perminet one I'll use an oak and varnish and seam seal it all up.

:xyxthumbs

foilr
May 26th, 2009, 06:40 PM
Great idea Mario! <rep bump="">
I was thinking of something similar using a cheap 'Hand Trunk' in it's down position (know what I mean?).

My wash area is on a steep driveway and I worried about it rolling away or worse yet rolling into the car!

I really like the DIY ideas I get here.
I need to show you guys my homemade 'Grit Guards'. You Cali guys can go ahead and call me a Redneck but if I get 80% of the functionality at 10% of the price; I call it American Ingenuity!</rep>

Tuck91
May 26th, 2009, 06:45 PM
try using it for a wash or two and see how you like it.

Maserati Mario
May 26th, 2009, 06:48 PM
I do like it so far, so maybe after a few more washes I'll love it more.
Here's some close ups so you can make your own.
I use these wheels from a dolly I had laying around, those are the most expencive parts.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll43/MaseratiMario/5-26-9006.jpg

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll43/MaseratiMario/5-26-9007.jpg

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll43/MaseratiMario/5-26-9008.jpg

davey g-force
May 26th, 2009, 06:51 PM
Another inside-the-garage car washer :xyxthumbs Good to see.

Good work with the wash dolly too...

ClearlyCoated
May 26th, 2009, 07:03 PM
Sweet dolly on the cheap! :xyxthumbs
If you keep it, finish off the corners with rubber bumper guards in case you drop your mitt, get angry :furious1, kick the dolly, and send it careening towards your car!

miahjohn
May 26th, 2009, 08:17 PM
Very nice. I too was thinking of how and what of to make one of these but I was too lazy to actually do it! Wehn you fine tune your measurements lets us know!!

i was thinking of using the shelf of a plastic shelf system and maybe find something laying around for a handle.

I just redid our kitchen countertops and still have the piece we cut out for the sink.....that may be perfect!!

miahjohn
May 26th, 2009, 08:18 PM
how is your garage set up for washing? do you have a drain or had one installed?

SHYNEMAN123
May 26th, 2009, 08:26 PM

You better get to a patten attorney B4 Ron Popel see this.
Lol

Maserati Mario
May 26th, 2009, 09:10 PM
Very nice. I too was thinking of how and what of to make one of these but I was too lazy to actually do it! Wehn you fine tune your measurements lets us know!!

i was thinking of using the shelf of a plastic shelf system and maybe find something laying around for a handle.

I just redid our kitchen countertops and still have the piece we cut out for the sink.....that may be perfect!!

Well I just eyeballed it. Put the containers on the wood and just made some barriers.
I don't know if plastic is strong enough.
10 gallons is kinda heavy
And no need for a handle, the buckets work as a handle

how is your garage set up for washing? do you have a drain or had one installed?

No drain, the water flows out fine and I just wash down my floor.

Bunky
May 27th, 2009, 03:00 AM
Nice idea. The casters are the expensive part individually. I think you can just buy a furniture dolly with 4 casters at HF for $15 and cannabalize them rather than buy individually at HD, etc.

I find what I need is height. I put my wash bucket(s) on another upside down bucket or a bench so you do not need bend over. I know some have used a wagon to add mobility plus it adds height.

TimG
May 27th, 2009, 04:52 AM
I almost bought the dolly from Grit Guards but after looking at the shipping cost going back to my side of the world, I rather make one (or a couple LOL) .

I got some aluminum 2x1 tubes and sheets. So gonna make some. Thanks for the reminder man. :D

J. A. Michaels
May 27th, 2009, 06:31 AM
Mario, great idea. looks very practical. Hope it works for you.

Still Learnin
May 29th, 2009, 01:26 PM
i would say maybe go to home depot, pick up like 2 5 gallon buckets... and drill your hole straight to the bottom to put the wheels... then grab a hacksaw and chop off half of that bucket, then just use those buckets you have in the pictures and put em inside the buckets you got at home depot... figured i always stack buckets in my garage.. and the bucket is never on the bottom giving enough room for bolts n what not... hope that makes sense... maybe that would help out also.. i think im going to try that. i never thought about it till i saw this post!!!

ClearlyCoated
May 29th, 2009, 01:47 PM
i would say maybe go to home depot, pick up like 2 5 gallon buckets... and drill your hole straight to the bottom to put the wheels... then grab a hacksaw and chop off half of that bucket, then just use those buckets you have in the pictures and put em inside the buckets you got at home depot... figured i always stack buckets in my garage.. and the bucket is never on the bottom giving enough room for bolts n what not... hope that makes sense... maybe that would help out also.. i think im going to try that. i never thought about it till i saw this post!!!
The problem is stability. The small footprint and top heavy weight of your wash/rinse buckets will result in tip-overs when one of the wheels catch a seam in the pavement or just the rough surface of asphalt. I tried the same thing using 18" diameter planter dollies under my buckets, which in essence is the same idea you're thinking of, but ran into the problems I mentioned.

Bunky
May 29th, 2009, 02:04 PM
I am now thinking about something like a kid's wagon. It has height and mobility. You can add bracing. I wonder if they are made of plastic these days.

Still Learnin
May 29th, 2009, 03:02 PM
haha i tried... atleast now when i go to walmart or home depot i can think of a way to get a dolly made... let us know how the dolly turns out

eyezack87
May 29th, 2009, 08:01 PM
Thats thinking creatively. If anything goes wrong with this project you can always sit on it and somehow steer it down the many hills you have around you (longboarding is a blast where you are compared to me) :D

imacarnut
May 29th, 2009, 08:13 PM
If you go to big lots, they have the round wire plant dollys (with wheels) that fit 5 gallon wash buckets, etc...

Nappers
May 29th, 2009, 10:43 PM
That is very cool Mario!

I like how you have the drain holes for your tools. I thought if the water doesn't drain fast enough, you could cut bigger holes and put that metal screen/fencing pieces on it to keep your brushes and what not from falling.

Looks very sturdy!

I like it!

If I built one, I would need tires to go over gravel!

Good show:bigups

Bunky
May 30th, 2009, 02:53 AM
This is what I had in mind. I am amazed that you can buy $50 items but not wagons. I may start looking at yard sales.

Nothern Hydraulic has one for $100 = yipe

(http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/images/143307_lg.gif)

Maserati Mario
May 30th, 2009, 03:19 PM
That is very cool Mario!

....put that metal screen/fencing pieces on it to keep your brushes and what not from falling.
I'll keep that in mind if I build another one.

... I may start looking at yard sales.

Check Creig's list FREE section untill you find four good wheels and make your own for free!, kinda.

Maserati Mario
May 30th, 2009, 03:22 PM
The problem is stability..... I tried the same thing using 18" diameter planter dollies under my buckets
Strap them together like the original GG dolly, should solve your problem.

I am now thinking about something like a kid's wagon. It has height and mobility. You can add bracing. I wonder if they are made of plastic these days.
This soundl like a good choice, check Creig's list for an old used wagon and you'll be set!

Chop
Jun 1st, 2009, 09:08 AM
Great idea Mario! <REP bump="">
I need to show you guys my homemade 'Grit Guards'. You Cali guys can go ahead and call me a Redneck but if I get 80% of the functionality at 10% of the price; I call it American Ingenuity!</REP>

Me wants to see.:D

I promise I won't call you anything. :poke

Maserati Mario
Jun 1st, 2009, 04:37 PM
I need to show you guys my homemade 'Grit Guards'. You Cali guys can go ahead and call me a Redneck but if I get 80% of the functionality at 10% of the price; I call it American Ingenuity!</REP>

I want to see too!:poke

foilr
Jun 1st, 2009, 06:25 PM
Me wants to see.:D

I promise I won't call you anything. :poke

OK.
I think I have enough posts to upload images now.
I will get some pictures to share soon. (If I can figure out the image upload process)

Cheers!
Richard

Superior Shine
Jun 1st, 2009, 09:23 PM
Mario- the 3rd world detail enthusiast :poke

I've heard those are the same bucket dollys they use in Afghanistan.

Eddie6th
Jun 12th, 2009, 02:49 PM

A joiner aswell? my,oh,my! The wheels are good and strong.need to be.

Good little no.!:dp::dp:

Maserati Mario
Jun 12th, 2009, 09:15 PM
Well I do love my dolly!
But I've switched to an "Ultra Low Water Wash"
So now my dolly is now useless to me.

It's now for sale. $99 bucks!
Just for the casters alone!
Well, another $2 for my design!!!!

Eddie6th
Jun 13th, 2009, 08:50 AM
Well I do love my dolly!
But I've switched to an "Ultra Low Water Wash"
So now my dolly is now useless to me.

It's now for sale. $99 bucks!
Just for the casters alone!
Well, another $2 for my design!!!!

Shame you're selling it.I thought it was quite neat.Yes,I know how much those wheels are(I like the orange/hard plastic aswell).The liitle cheap ones are no use.They buckle all the time.:awman1

240SX
Jun 14th, 2009, 12:31 PM
I want to see too!:poke

I third that motion

Gabe007
Jun 30th, 2009, 05:05 PM
OK.
I think I have enough posts to upload images now.
I will get some pictures to share soon. (If I can figure out the image upload process)

Cheers!
Richard

+1 :wavey

How to upload and insert an image into your posts (http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24941)

96Lude
Jul 1st, 2009, 10:01 AM
Here is my version of the dolly:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/96LudeSR/dolly.jpg

:D

Maserati Mario
Jul 1st, 2009, 10:05 AM
I like it!

CieraSL
Jul 1st, 2009, 10:38 AM
Me too! :xyxthumbs

davey g-force
Jul 1st, 2009, 12:42 PM
Very nice work 96Lude! :xyxthumbs

240SX
Jul 1st, 2009, 01:10 PM
post a pic of that Grit Guard of yours. im interested to try making one

Gabe007
Jul 3rd, 2009, 05:08 PM

Same here. :poke

Maserati Mario
Jul 3rd, 2009, 06:57 PM
That guy got all hurt and left MOL.

Bunky
Jul 4th, 2009, 04:00 AM
I want a dolly that is more elevated. I have seen some nice kids wagons but had not seen one at a price I wanted to pay.

Gabe007
Jul 5th, 2009, 11:28 PM
That guy got all hurt and left MOL.

I don't need to see his DIY Grid Guard anymore... :D Check it out! (http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35258)