PDA

View Full Version : TV or the internet. Which could you give up for a year?

ClearlyCoated
Jun 3rd, 2009, 04:08 PM
Your spouse has just won a nuisance case against you. The presiding judge agrees with your wife or gf that between television and the internet, you have essentially made her an electronic widow. The judge rules that you must surrender either television or web surfing for the period of one year.

What do you do?

What do you do?

EDIT: No cheating. You cannot use the web to watch TV episodes and you cannot use devices designed to transmit your recorded TIVO programs to your computer!!!

Eddie6th
Jun 3rd, 2009, 04:38 PM
i voted television as you can get TV through the internet. Strange poll? But whatever!

Andy M.
Jun 3rd, 2009, 04:43 PM
WHAT NO MOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!:awman1:angry1:wall:

THAT'S JUST WRONG!!!!:nervous1

Andy M.

J. A. Michaels
Jun 3rd, 2009, 04:46 PM
There is no choice. TV would be the one to go.

Mr Mustang
Jun 3rd, 2009, 04:59 PM
yeah, I think so

without online tv, there's only so much you can do online. I went w/o tv for a semester in college, it sucked

MyFirstES300
Jun 3rd, 2009, 05:01 PM
Easy one for me, drop the television. I don't watch sports, and can't stand the **** that's on TV these days.

rgcurtis
Jun 3rd, 2009, 05:04 PM
I can watch TV online.

HCAD
Jun 3rd, 2009, 05:42 PM
I'm with ES300, nothing worth watching on TV, except for maybe House. I could do away with it permanently if it makes the bride (judge) happier.

john m.
Jun 3rd, 2009, 06:54 PM
Oh man this is hard, especially since you added no tv on the internet! I would have to say drop tv though, much more to do around the internet and plus what would I do if I needed help? :D I would just need to hit the jackpot so I can go to all of the sports games :D

CieraSL
Jun 3rd, 2009, 07:00 PM
I voted television. I hardly ever watch TV, except for maybe America's Funniest Videos or Deal or No Deal or maybe COPS once in a while. There just usually isn't much on TV that interests me. But to do without the internet? No way. :bat1 :D

Deaner5
Jun 3rd, 2009, 07:28 PM
I voted TV, but it depends. I have lived without cable or satilite TV for about three years now and I don't think I'm missing out on much (although I love Deadliest Catch, Ice Road Truckers and Top Gear on BBC). Plus major sporting events are on basic TV usually.

I'm kind of at the point with the internet that I go to a few sites and after that I'm pretty content with it and don't really use it that much. Plus I can go on at work for a few minutes here and there so I think I could also live without it at home as well.

Certainly interesting through.

Ryan L.
Jun 3rd, 2009, 08:38 PM
TV easily. I can't sit down and watch something for even 30 minutes let alone a hour or two.

On my computer at least I can do a lot of stuff like watch YouTube, play games, listen to music, research car stuff, etc.

Ryan

Andy M.
Jun 3rd, 2009, 11:36 PM
I voted TV, but it depends. I have lived without cable or satilite TV for about three years now and I don't think I'm missing out on much (although I love Deadliest Catch, Ice Road Truckers and Top Gear on BBC). Plus major sporting events are on basic TV usually.

I'm kind of at the point with the internet that I go to a few sites and after that I'm pretty content with it and don't really use it that much. Plus I can go on at work for a few minutes here and there so I think I could also live without it at home as well.

Certainly interesting through.

Ice road truckers!!!! It is bad enough driving a rig in the snow and rain, let alone driving over frozen water pulling 80,000 lbs. NO WAY I SAY!!!!!

Actually, driving in the snow is easier when it comes to a rig. You can see a lot more. Rain is awful! Just forget about ice!!! I have to give those guys props!!!

We have a couple other truckers here who I am sure will chime in.

I did it for over 20 years. Please remember, everything you have, was at one time on a truck. Even the car you are polishing right now.:D It isn't easy!!!

Andy

Superior Shine
Jun 4th, 2009, 01:49 AM
I watch very little TV. Maybe an hour a month if that.

Solipsist
Jun 4th, 2009, 07:25 AM
I'd have to give up tv, I need the internet for my university degree, no way I could get by without it, as all articles are electronic now.

I think i'd be pretty bored without tv, I watch it all the time, in my household, if someone is awake, then the tv is on, we don't really do the whole family activity thing, everyone refuses to play scrabble with me, haha.

sleepy
Jun 5th, 2009, 06:01 PM
I voted internet. Until within the past 4-5 years we did not have internet, but with my wife's college classes we have to have it. But if push came to shove I could do without it.
That Ice Road Trucker have a lot of guts. I drove semi trucks for several years and the most scared I have EVER been is driving a semi on ice. Call me a wimp, but there was a lot of other things I would have rather been doing at that time!

kaptain_zero
Jun 5th, 2009, 09:32 PM
I rarely watch the toob so it's technically gone already. Internet has been mainstay in my house for the past uhmmm...... :scratchhead1 somewhere between 15 and 20 years I think..... well back before the beginning of the WWW. I started when you did everything from a command prompt, telnet, smtp, finger etc. and the only access I had was by using a dumb terminal with a terminal node controller hooked up to a 2 meter ham radio rig, using ham frequencies to connect to a computer/radio at the local university. Years later we actually got an account so we could dial in to the university with computer and phone modem.... Ah, the good old days..... 300 baud acoustic was the norm and then we got the blistering fast 9600 baud........ :D

You can take my TV but you'll have to pry this keyboard from my cold, dead fingers!

Regards

Christian

Marc Hufnagel
Jun 6th, 2009, 01:42 PM
tv. probably only seen maybe 3-4hrs of tv in the last month. had a storm that took out internet and power for 6 days-- no .net was miserable the first night on my laptop.

JG_Detailing
Jul 17th, 2009, 10:38 AM
I picked internet. Just for one reason (NO MORE HOME IMPROVEMENT). I'm a huge Tim Allen fan and I watch the show alot.:hotrod1 Plus I have a blackberry what she doesn't know won't hurt her. :woot2

MikeEast
Sep 9th, 2009, 10:11 AM
In these trying economic times I -had- to make a choice, and tv got the heave-ho...

Actually to be quite honest, it was cable tv that got deleted, and I now have a spiffy tv antenna clamped to my deck railing that pulls in HD very nicely - with the only REAL problem being that the content is mostly God-TV/Spanish God-TV/commercials-r-us and genuine ****.

About the only thing I watch is Charlie Sheen in 'Two and Half Men', and a few things now and again from hulu.com.

I don't miss having 523 channels of 'nothing on'.

Mike

JohanD
Sep 9th, 2009, 10:48 AM
Easy question. TV!

paudashlake
Sep 9th, 2009, 11:10 AM
TV totally, but can we still watch youtube videos?

Murr1525
Oct 22nd, 2009, 01:21 AM
Sports would be the only problem.... I mean, I could use an excuse to go to the bar more often....

JoeDirt
Oct 23rd, 2009, 07:05 PM
I vote to give up TV. I have 200+ channels and seem to watch Top Gear, Fox News, and reruns of Seinfeld. That's it. :)

Autobrite
Oct 23rd, 2009, 07:09 PM
Definitley tv. If i have the internet i can still get on MOL and can also keep up on motocross and supercross. I am trying to remember what my life was like without the internet. lol

captaincog
Oct 23rd, 2009, 09:25 PM
Television was my vote. My kids lose TV prilivedges when their grades and chrores are not done and franky it gives me more time to detail my rides:dp::hotrod2.

Internet:
:worship

TV:
:monkeys

dope92cc
Oct 24th, 2009, 09:24 AM
probably TV.
as long as I can still play GTA 4, midnight club LA, and watch movies, then I can live without cable or satellite.

POPPAJ
Jan 3rd, 2010, 07:04 AM
If such a choice had to be made it would mean an end to life as we know it on this planet.

THE BIG BUFFER
Jan 25th, 2010, 10:37 PM
TV. My family (wife and 3 girls) went without tv for a year in 1998. Was hard a first but did'nt really miss it after about a month. Was the best year I think we had together. Spent alot more time with each for sure.

TNMom
Jan 26th, 2010, 04:36 AM
I can do without the internet, but not my TV. Too much good stuff on right now!

Daniel Kinder
Jan 26th, 2010, 06:27 AM
Same here voted tv

Like the rest of you, I agree there isn't anything on there that interest me and here at my house the kids has it on cartoons anyway

Good poll though, like it. Let's us all know alittle more about each other and that we really have more in common then detailing.

sdprius858
Jan 26th, 2010, 07:23 AM
Where's the "Get rid of wife or gf" option?:scratchhead1

Mary S
Mar 19th, 2010, 02:37 AM
I'd give up TV in a minute over internet! I do enjoy some TV shows, but I couldn't do without internet.

Bill Davidson
Aug 30th, 2010, 04:12 PM
15 years ago I would have said I could live without internet. I was on dial up and most of my friends didn't even own a computer. Today I "need" internet. I have an online business and all my friend and family have computers. You can't even get a job without a computer.

T.V. is just a novelty and I use it less and less each day. Internet is more of a communication device, that everyone relies on more and more each day.

smack
Oct 8th, 2010, 08:02 AM
Easy one for me. Get rid of the television. I dont have cable or Satelite, and I rent movies from the red box. Besides most of the stuff shown on tv is garbage anyways.

Flash Gordon
Oct 8th, 2010, 03:03 PM
I would like to get rid of them both. Unfortunately, I'm afraid I have devoloped an addiction to each :nervous1

Mark58
Apr 19th, 2011, 01:07 PM
NEITHER!
At my age and this cold nasty weather that's all that's left. While watching tv I am on my laptop.

Blue Apollo IV
Apr 19th, 2011, 05:00 PM
Definitely...goodbye TV.

1970judge
Apr 19th, 2011, 06:50 PM
I haven't had cable for 2 years now, since I moved down here. So...tv

STRIFE
Apr 20th, 2011, 12:02 PM
sorry to say but this poll actually gave me a headache thinking about it....i cannot choose.
Good thing I have a dish and free wifi everywhere:woot2

jreblackGT
Sep 16th, 2011, 07:30 PM
I'm retired and watch far too much tv. That said, you can actually learn something online while most tv is just plain stupid and foolish. Easy choice for me.

Detroit CC
Sep 16th, 2011, 07:30 PM
TV, easy.
The amount of **** and repeat **** is annoying.
Internet for me all the way.

All I can say is, if you've got time to watch tv, your car isn't clean enough. Ha ha.

David79z28
Sep 17th, 2011, 09:54 AM
I spend time on the internet while my wife watches lifetime!!!

Oh, I can give up TV!!!!

Cypresswill
Mar 29th, 2013, 03:28 PM
I gave up tv years ago.
I cannot stay away from surfing the internet even for a day.