PDA

View Full Version : Do You Like Digital TV?

BlueZero
Jun 14th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Now that we have all been switched. What do you think?

I've had my main TV switched for some time since it has a built in tuner. But was forced to connect a converter box to the rest this weekend. I have a large antenna in my attic that worked great with analog, but is no longer the case with digital. I'm only about 3 miles away from the towers.

I like the clear picture when it comes in, but can't stand it cutting out totally every so often. It was overall better with a bit of static. I also like the added channels.

For now I voted "No", that I don't like digital TV. After I spent money on converter boxes and now more money for a new antenna. I guess if I all works better I'll be happy in the long run.

If you need help picking an antenna, check out this site... AntennaWeb (http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx)

dvtldav
Jun 14th, 2009, 05:08 PM
I have Directv so I haven't noticed any difference. I have been digital forever.

Dave

Eddie6th
Jun 14th, 2009, 05:08 PM
Undecided.

both have pros and cons.

As a quick example.Apart from the bulkiness and weight,I still say a cathode ray television gives a better picture than an LCD or Plasma.But for convenience sake,I use LCD.With a good LCD,the difference is minimal.

CieraSL
Jun 14th, 2009, 05:56 PM
We have cable, so we weren't really affected.

Megafast13
Jun 14th, 2009, 09:06 PM
I don't know anyone who still actually uses "rabbit ears" if you haven't gone to DirecTV HD by now, I strongly recommend.

I don't think the Gov. Should have gotten rid of the Analog signal, about 1 million people are unable to watch television now, but I think they should have both analog and digital. At the same time though, we need to move on with technology.

J. A. Michaels
Jun 15th, 2009, 05:58 AM
The only problem I have with the switch is this. If your cable goes out, Downed Wires etc, Or you lose power in a hurricane or tropical storm. You can not use a battery operated tv to get updates, any info etc. You would have to have the converter box antennae all this to stay informed. It is a concern in hurricane areas imho.

Otherwise I think the switch is good.

Alex C.
Jun 15th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Meh, it's okay. For us with cable and satellite it's no biggy, but i do feel bad for the many out there left without any signal.

john m.
Jun 15th, 2009, 11:08 AM
I hate this ****, I got better reception with my tv antenna! The worst thing is you still need the antenna, so when I watch something and it keeps cutting out I have to go mess with the antenna and then if I change it I gotta do it again. Some of the new channels are okay but i still dont use any of the new ones. We have Direct TV on 4 tvs but the small ones like the kitchen and mine is that digital ****. Idk I really think it is just bothersome and a way for them to make some money. just my .02 lol

kellyinkc
Jun 15th, 2009, 01:26 PM
I don't know anyone who still actually uses "rabbit ears" if you haven't gone to DirecTV HD by now, I strongly recommend.

I don't think the Gov. Should have gotten rid of the Analog signal, about 1 million people are unable to watch television now, but I think they should have both analog and digital. At the same time though, we need to move on with technology.

I use an antenna for free HDTV, if you have a HD tuner, on the local stations. I also have Dish, and the difference is amazing between their local stations and what I get with a antenna.:woot2 That being said I do not have Dish HD yet, I got outsourced at work so that is on hold for now.
Here is a good link:

http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/Address.aspx

With digital you either have reception or you do not, no snow etc. It took me some time to dial in picture, the above link helps. On another thought, the connection between the box and TV is very important.

My .002 worth.

Kelly

Malo83
Jul 13th, 2009, 08:54 AM
I still use an antenna as well as DIRECTV HD, still a lot of local channels that DTV doesn't carry so an antenna is a plus, I have my antenna mounted to the AC on the roof and with a rotator I can swing the antenna around to the strongest signal :woot2

Carfire
Jul 14th, 2009, 08:32 AM
I really don't know if I like it or not.
It is nice that it is HD, but on the other hand it is very easy to interrupt the signal which is annoying.

Ryan L.
Jul 14th, 2009, 09:35 AM
We've had cable for ever so it didn't affect us at all. Gotta love HD!!

Ryan

MrCLRider
Jul 14th, 2009, 10:25 AM
Always had cable in my house too..so for us the effects of the change made no difference, I do feel sorry for those who don't have cable or dish/direct tv..

dope92cc
Jul 14th, 2009, 12:11 PM
It's junk. No difference at all. We still have bad picture and the daily "weekly test".
Cable is awful as ever. I need to detail more to avoid cable.

sleepy
Aug 1st, 2009, 03:00 PM
I can not tell the difference with an old model t.v., but with a newer t.v., I can really tell the difference.

Bunky
Aug 3rd, 2009, 02:33 PM
We get signals via an external antenna and the digital changeover has been very good. I used to get snow on all channels (sorry no cable, no satellite). All channels are now perfectly clear but have to turn the antenna to the needed direction. It can pixelate once and a while. I did lose one channel after the conversion (the station had changed antennas when they switched over). I may get it back in the fall....If you cannot tell, I am in a valley in Virginia in a fringe area so reception is not good.

kesawi
Aug 3rd, 2009, 06:11 PM
Here in Australia where we have a limited number of free to air channels and cable is pretty expensive, so it has been great.

Better picture quality, better sound, wide screen image, additional channels and EPG. Yes it is annoying when the picture drops out for half a second every so often due to some interference, and some of the stations don't actually put anything different on the extra channels, but overall it's far better.

Our mandatory switch over date was put back by a couple of years as the take up rate wasn't deemed sufficient to kill off the old analogue signal.

hacker-pschorr
Aug 11th, 2009, 03:33 AM
I've had my main TV switched for some time since it has a built in tuner. But was forced to connect a converter box to the rest this weekend. I have a large antenna in my attic that worked great with analog, but is no longer the case with digital. I'm only about 3 miles away from the towers.
That's odd. Last fall I hooked up all new HD TV's for a friend on Bonduel - no cable where he is. Much to my surprise he's able to grab every HD channel crystal clear with just rabbit ears.

The HD signal is in the same bandwidth as the old UHF signal. A "special" antenna is not needed.

I don't know anyone who still actually uses "rabbit ears"
I know quite a few. In fact, looking at my $150 per month cable bill, I'm considering dropping cable and going with a computer home built DVR and an indoor antenna.

KC's
Sep 6th, 2009, 05:04 PM
Meh, it's okay. For us with cable and satellite it's no biggy, but i do feel bad for the many out there left without any signal.

you say it all

tq's

jfelbab
Oct 20th, 2009, 06:34 PM
You guys do know that the new digital channels are all in the UHF band and your old VHF antenna doesn't work well for that right? If you buy a new UHF antenna and replace your old VHF antenna things will likely clear up. You might also need to verify that the antenna location of the new UHF source is the same as the old analog one.

sunday joe
Aug 10th, 2010, 07:51 AM
The picture is great. The programs are the problem. I'm sick of reality shows. It seems they are in the the majority.