PDA

View Full Version : Expensive LSP's

Calais
Jul 5th, 2009, 05:49 PM
Many people in the detailing industry take the mantra "you get what you pay for" to heart and pay exorbitant amounts of money on LSP's, namely designer carnauba waxes. I am not here to debate whether or not some products produce a better shine, more depth, clarity, reflectivity or protection but I would stand by the argument that one does not need an expensive LSP to produce a beautiful paint surface. I would go further to argue that more so than the LSP, a paint's ability to turn heads is more dependent on it's preparation. On to the proof...

For the sake of this experiment I carefully wiped down my vehicle's paint surface with alcohol and throughly stripped the already fading layer of wax that was already present. I meticulously inspected the paint to determine whether or not it was still well prepared from the last time I compounded/polished it. I verified that the paint was still, in fact, very well prepped and applied a thin layer of Meguiar's Cleaner Wax (MSRP ~$7) to the entire body of the car. I removed the wax and revealed the results.

http://i653.photobucket.com/albums/uu260/JimmyCutlass/Cleaner%20Wax/CleanerWax1.jpgNote my obesity. :nervous1

http://i653.photobucket.com/albums/uu260/JimmyCutlass/Cleaner%20Wax/CleanerWax2.jpg Gotta love those body lines.

http://i653.photobucket.com/albums/uu260/JimmyCutlass/Cleaner%20Wax/CleanerWax3.jpg Note my brother's bike. :D

http://i653.photobucket.com/albums/uu260/JimmyCutlass/Cleaner%20Wax/CleanerWax4.jpg Like a mirror. :woot2

So, with the one of the least expensive waxes available you too can produce a "show car shine" on any any car, even a daily driver (like my own), as long as your paint is properly prepared via claying/compouding/polishing/cleaning.

AeroCleanse
Jul 5th, 2009, 06:04 PM
Unless you compare it to a high price carnuba wax its hard to say.

Justin A
Jul 5th, 2009, 06:27 PM
Unless you compare it to a high price carnuba wax its hard to say.

x2

I'm not arguing your statement, but it is the equivalent of offering a dog one brand of food to choose from and reporting that he prefers it.
I'm planning on buying one of these expensive LSPs in the next week or so and testing it side-by-side with Megs Gold Class (my favorite megs wax) for a (reasonably) empirical test. The results will still be subjective, but at least there will be variables involved instead of "hey look how good this product performs when viewed by itself". I'm just saying is all. I've been using Meguiars products since I got my first car and have been happy, but I can't honestly say that they ARE the best product out there because I've really never tried anything else. I can say without a doubt that Meguiars products are the dogs ballocks compared to armorall wipes and sprays and other ****, but against anything else, I have no experience to speak from.

the_invisible
Jul 5th, 2009, 08:04 PM
How do you define "expensive" in this case?

To me, NXT 2.0 for $14 at Walmart is still pretty darn expensive!

I used to use Megs Classic Wax, Mother's California Gold Wax, NuFinish which all cost under $10 a bottle lol

Fischer
Jul 5th, 2009, 08:48 PM
I think NXT 2.0 produces some awesome shine compared to cleaner Wax and other things, I want to compare it to some of that $100 Wolfgang wax and see what is better.

john m.
Jul 5th, 2009, 08:58 PM
Yeah, It would be good to see a side by side of some NXT and something really nice and expensive to see if any difference is evident.

akimel
Jul 5th, 2009, 09:04 PM
If has the funds, then I think it is a good thing to experiment with a couple of the boutique wax and compare them to Meguiar's NXT and M26. We are all loyal to Meguiar's products, and we feel disloyal by even suggesting that superor protectants than NXT and M26 might exist out there. There's only one way to find out. Try out at least one new wax (Souveran, Fuzion, 50/50, Glasur, or Victoria Concours Red) and one new synthetic sealant (Wet Diamond Sealant, JetSeal, Ultima Paint Guard Plus). Try them our and compare to your present Meguiar's waxes. Let us know what you find out.

Eddie6th
Jul 5th, 2009, 09:13 PM
I would say...With most things in life you get what you pay for.Not always though.

I've only ever tried waxes within a normal price range.I'm happy with the results.I don't much care for waxes that cost 300$'s or whatever.I think the price I just payed for a bottle of techwax2.0 is expensive.At least in europe.

I've seen some fantastic finishes on this forum and some on youtube using Meguiar's.I've also seen vids of people using the exotic swiss stuff.I can't say that I see such a difference that would justify the price difference.I don't think it has much to do with longetivity either.So....?

As far as applying by hand.Okay,the temperature of our hands is suitable,but I don't think there is any benefit to this.I find a foam applicator is the best and easiest way.

I agree with Calais,that the work done before hand is way more important.

I would like to see experiments conducted with these exotic products,used on half a car compared to other normal priced brands on the other half.Then,the car used for normal every day driving,washed regularly and see the results after a period of time.But it would have to be fair,without any bias.
Sorry.I can't do this kind of thing.I don't have that kind of poppy to spend on exotic waxes.Maybe someone else here can?

the_invisible
Jul 5th, 2009, 09:19 PM
I have toyed with the idea of using boutique waxes. The ones Ferrari or Porsche owners use. If used correctly, a bottle should be good for many applications.

But in the end, my 335i and G37 are just ordinary cars that nobody gives a hoot about. With that in mind, ordinary waxes from ordinary stores like Walmart and Schucks should do just fine. With proper techniques and skills, I am sure I could produce excellent results with just about any product.

J. A. Michaels
Jul 6th, 2009, 02:27 AM
I understand the reasoning behind the use of boutique waxws. Not debating that. I still say that if a car's finish is not properly prepared the diffewrence in a boutique wax and some otc wax would be negligible Just my 0.02.

AeroCleanse
Jul 6th, 2009, 06:40 AM
If has the funds, then I think it is a good thing to experiment with a couple of the boutique wax and compare them to Meguiar's NXT and M26. We are all loyal to Meguiar's products, and we feel disloyal by even suggesting that superor protectants than NXT and M26 might exist out there. There's only one way to find out. Try out at least one new wax (Souveran, Fuzion, 50/50, Glasur, or Victoria Concours Red) and one new synthetic sealant (Wet Diamond Sealant, JetSeal, Ultima Paint Guard Plus). Try them our and compare to your present Meguiar's waxes. Let us know what you find out.

I compared NXT Tech Wax 2.0 to Swissvax Saphir, and there is no comparison, Swissvax Saphir won hands down.

akimel
Jul 6th, 2009, 08:17 AM
I recently posted the following comment to Detailing World in response to a man asking whether he should buy Swissvax's Crystal Rock wax. As you know, Crystal Rock sells for $1,100 here in the U.S.

Todd Helme recently joked: "After polishing and jeweling a car, I have never applied a wax, stepped back and said, 'That looks lousy.'"

Todd, I'm know, has an appreciation for fine waxes, but he also knows, as does so many good detailers on this forum, that the differences between waxes are marginal. Some claim they can detect nuances, and perhaps they can; but as Dave KG's blind wax test bears out, when confronted by multiple anonymous cars in a value-free context, most people cannot see the differences at all.

To what extent do we see what we want to see, what we expect to see, what we have been told we should and will see? To what extent is the appearance bestowed by a wax dependent on how much we have personally invested ourselves in the wax and its promised benefits? All perception is theory-laden. When it comes to waxes, beauty truly is in the eye of the beholder.

If a person has the disposable income to spare and truly wants to own a wax like Crystal Rock, then that person should go right ahead and buy it (though I personally would hold out for Vintage and its attractive crystal container). The opinions of all others at this point are irrelevant. The only person who can determine whether Crystal Rock truly fulfills its promises is the person who sacrifices for it and commits himself to it.I have been trying different waxes over the past year. I have to confess that my favorite wax is whatever I have used last. My car looks great in all of them. I do have a slight preference at the moment for Souveran, but I honestly cannot say that it is dramatically superior to NXT or Collinite 845. In light of Dave KG's wax test (http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=83207), I do wonder to what extent we see what we want to see. I certainly do not dispute anyone's experience here; but I remain cautiously skeptical of claims that the super-expensive waxes offer a look that is significantly different from and better than many of the lower and moderately priced brands. I may one day, of course, find myself falling in love with Best of Show, Supernatural, or Vintage; but even then I will probably wonder if I am not simply projecting my hopes and dreams. Sometimes we really do see what we want to see. I think this is particularly true when it comes to waxes. It's al subjective. In the end, all we can say is what looks best "in our eyes" ... and that's all that matters.

AeroCleanse
Jul 6th, 2009, 08:21 AM
Look is only one aspect.

akimel
Jul 6th, 2009, 10:25 AM
Look is only one aspect.

I agree, though for me it is the decisive aspect, as I'm confident it is the decisive aspect for anyone who plays around with the expensive waxes.

One of the interesting and curious features about some of the expensive waxes is how finicky they can be. Just consider how many complaints one can find on various forums about sweating and smearing of the high-end Zymol waxes. So why do people put up with this and other problems? Because, I suggest, they adore the look they believe they get from these waxes.

Ease of application and removal is also an important consideration for me. If a wax is easy to apply and remove, then so much the better.

And of course cost is an important consideration, too. Everyone negotiates these matters differently, but I remain confident that appearance is the decisive consideration for most people who enjoy experimenting with boutique waxes. Although one occasionally find people asking, "Which wax is easiest to apply?" one is much more likely find find people asking, "Which wax looks best?" It is this question that unleashes wax wars. :)

Cheers,
Al

AeroCleanse
Jul 6th, 2009, 10:42 AM
Never used Zymol so I can't speak to it. I can speak to Swissvax Saphir as I use it. Spread a thin coat of wax on the paint, wait the 15-20 min as instructed, the buff it off with a microfiber. Its very easy to use.

Eddie6th
Jul 6th, 2009, 10:52 AM
I think 30-40$'s is expensive for a wax.If people want to spend, and can afford to spend 300+ $'s for a tub of wax,that's fine.If they claim it's better,it could be purely psychological,and they believe it is better.

I still have two waxes in my posession,which I have used many years ago.One is 'Mer' and the other is a cheapo off of a supermarket shelf.Both work well if the surface is spotless,and the cost is very cheap.I used the Mer about 2 years ago on a freinds car and it was fine.The other one I use for outdoor painted surfaces.I prefer to use waxes,or give to a freind,rather than throw them away.

Out of all the waxes that I have tried,I found that Meg's has given me the best appearance and longevity.

AeroCleanse
Jul 6th, 2009, 11:02 AM
I think 30-40$'s is expensive for a wax.If people want to spend, and can afford to spend 300+ $'s for a tub of wax,that's fine.If they claim it's better,it could be purely psychological,and they believe it is better.

Or it could be that they are better. When you detail for a living, even a $1,100 can of wax isn't much when you figure how much it is per car you detail.

Tim Lingor
Jul 6th, 2009, 11:13 AM
How do you define "expensive" in this case?

To me, NXT 2.0 for $14 at Walmart is still pretty damn expensive!

I used to use Megs Classic Wax, Mother's California Gold Wax, NuFinish which all cost under $10 a bottle lol

Where in BC are you finding NXT 2.0 for $14? It retails in Canada for $29.99. You must be buying your supplies south of the border.

Tim

akimel
Jul 6th, 2009, 11:16 AM
Where in BC are you finding NXT 2.0 for $14? It retails in Canada for $29.99. You must be buying your supplies south of the border.

Or maybe its getting smuggled by Megs' secret runners into Canuckland? :)

Tim Lingor
Jul 6th, 2009, 11:23 AM
Hey,

The debate about boutique waxes will go on and on! In the end, if a person believes or can actually see the differences with their own eyes and they like what they see, then that is all that matters. :bigups Some carnauba waxes may leave a nice "carnauba wax glow" that some people may like while others will prefer optical clarity showing what the paint truly looks like. Again, which ever you personally prefer is up to you. :)

Just like sealants, there are big differences; perhaps not in looks per se, but in gloss, durability and longevity of that freshly waxed look. Again, what looks and works best to and for the individual is what matters. :)

Tim

the_invisible
Jul 6th, 2009, 11:44 AM
Unfortunately, I find even the most reserving posts in this thread to be very subjective. That's how I see them through my own subjective eyes anyway.

This topic has always been a can of worms on detailing forums. Post like this often ends without a consensus or a sensible conclusion. It just divides people into groups. While that is absolutely fine on detail forums that are not solely operated by a single brand of wax maker, keep in mind that this is a Meguiars forum.

I wonder why nobody ever submits samples of different waxes to chemists to have them analyze the chemical compositions of different types of wax. They have been doing that to motor oils for years and tests like this is often very cheap. I wouldn't be surprised if Meguiar's own chemists have a huge selection of many different waxes from different makers for research and development purposes.

Markus Kleis
Jul 6th, 2009, 12:25 PM
Unfortunately, I find even the most reserving posts in this thread to be very subjective. That's how I see them through my own subjective eyes anyway.

This topic has always been a can of worms on detailing forums. Post like this often ends without a consensus or a sensible conclusion. It just divides people into groups.

Exactly. Which is why I am going to kindly remind everyone in advance that we certainly appreciate and allow for opinions on MOL, we don't allow for people to berate others, bash others, or argue with others. Discussions are welcome, arguments and negativity are not.

So please carry on, but please remain civil.

Thank you!! :doublethumbsup2

beautechnique-scott
Jul 6th, 2009, 12:27 PM
ive got to say that if a paint is level and corrected any LSP will do it justice, its the life span of the LSP which is a major factor IMO.
best off show glazing, sealing then waxing, best durability and gloss will come from this.
ive used swissvax ( not impressed for the money ), zymol ( some are good but i wouldnt sing about them ), duragloss ( im an authorised user ) dodo juice which im fond of but like theSV and zymol is a tad costly, meguiars, ive used nxt liquid wax, No16 mirror glaze paste wax and gold class paste wax ( wasnt that good IMO ) i think meguiars is a very good competitor with higher end LSP's for good cash and turtlewax original paste which is still a great wax for not much cash at all ( i get it for the equivilant of $2 ).
even with the rule of thumb method of washing techniques and ph neuatral wash solutions used ive never found a wax last more than 3 month tops without a sealant underneath.

imacarnut
Jul 6th, 2009, 12:29 PM
In the end, it comes down to what works for YOU and what YOU like. Some people feel by buying a more expensive product, that it will yield better results and that isn't always necessarily true. Try a product out and make your own conclusions...

CieraSL
Jul 6th, 2009, 12:38 PM
In the end, it comes down to what works for YOU and what YOU like. Some people feel by buying a more expensive product, that it will yield better results and that isn't always necessarily true. Try a product out and make your own conclusions...

:iagree: Just follow Mike Phillips advice: "Find something you like and use it often." He has never said, Find something everybody else likes, he says, find something you like. It only matters to you.

3Fitty
Jul 6th, 2009, 12:41 PM
I've seen certain LSPs darken paint more than others, but I haven't really been able to notice a discernable difference between LSPs (not even between Carnauba's and Sealants).

I'm not doubting Aero Cleanse saw a difference but my guess is that most people probably won't, that is why the subjectivity of the looks question makes it impossible to justify a spendy LSP IMHO.

I recently tried Blackfire Wet Diamond and I fell in love, but not necessarily based on looks. It is very similar to NXT (which is another fave of mine) but BFWD goes on about the same, comes off a bit easier, doesn't stain trim and is the slickest feeling LSP I've ever used. Add to that it is $10 cheaper than NXT (in Soviet Canuckistan) and it is a no-brainer.

3Fitty
Jul 6th, 2009, 12:42 PM
:iagree: Just follow Mike Phillips advice: "Find something you like and use it often." He has never said, Find something everybody else likes, he says, find something you like. It only matters to you.

He has defected to China, you are not longer permitted to quote "he who shall not be named". :rulez1

:dancing3

CieraSL
Jul 6th, 2009, 12:46 PM
What's the matter 3Fitty, are you going into Mike Phillips withdrawal? Oh, excuse me, perhaps I should have said, are you going into "he who shall not be named" withdrawal? :chuckle1

3Fitty
Jul 6th, 2009, 12:54 PM
Got home from work about 4 hours before I expected... just ultra-mischievous today!!! LOL

CieraSL
Jul 6th, 2009, 01:01 PM
Wish I was feeling mischievous. I had to get dressed up to give a group presentation in class tonight. I'm taking summer classes. But this is the last week! Hooray! :woot2 I hate getting dressed up. It's T-shirts, shorts, and flip flops for me. I wanna go home and clean my car! :awman1

akimel
Jul 6th, 2009, 01:10 PM
This topic has always been a can of worms on detailing forums. Post like this often ends without a consensus or a sensible conclusion.

Quite right, and this failure to achieve consensus confirms the intensely subjective dimension of wax preference. People like what they like; they see what they want to see. There simply is no way to scientifically measure any of this and certainly no way to objectively assess value. Dave KG's judgment on this is, I think, spot on:

In seriousness, dont be fooled into the "best wax" - there is no best wax, all the looks will come from the prep stage, the wax over the top will provide protection and there may be very subtle change to the look but the chances of spotting differences between different waxes are very small. Add to that there are many waxes that offer similar little additions, and different people prefer different nuances.... Ultimately though, get the prep right and then just use a wax that you enjoy.
And again:

Reading as a physicist with a rather objective eye, there is no hard scientific fact to suggest that a few microns (and its not even that, an LSP layer is submicron typically) can enhance the finish on a car. Indeed this is bourne out in practice and demonstrated many times that adding an LSP to a perfectly prepped finish makes little if any tenable difference. What you can get is a very subtle nuance added to the paint, but dont expect massive differences as they simply are not there - in practice, and this is justified by the science. ... Or - look at some more experimental evidence, more and more of which is building to suggest, despite claims, that LSPs really dont make a tenable difference to the looks of a well prepped finish. I believe this to be true from my own experimentation, and that while you can get a subtle nuance here and there, ultimately there is no big difference between them in looks when the preparation is done correctly.I really do believe that Dave is right about all of this ... yet that hasn't stopped me from trying different waxes. I guess I'm just a gullible romantic about these things. I really want to believe, for reasons that escape me, that the more expensive waxes really do bestow a "look" superior to that of less expensive waxes; but I confess I am not sure I have actually seen this borne out in my limited experience. Perhaps I'm simply hoping that a protectant will compensate for my lack of polishing skills. The quest continues.

Cheers,
Al

Bounty
Jul 6th, 2009, 02:03 PM
I really do believe that Dave is right about all of this ... yet that hasn't stopped me from trying different waxes. I guess I'm just a gullible romantic about these things. I really want to believe, for reasons that escape me, that the more expensive waxes really do bestow a "look" superior to that of less expensive waxes; but I confess I am not sure I have actually seen this borne out in my limited experience. Perhaps I'm simply hoping that a protectant will compensate for my lack of polishing skills. The quest continues.

Cheers,
Al

Ok, I'll bite and throw my .02 cents into the discussion. I am a big proponent of the fact that a well-prepped and polished paint surface will be enhanced only a miniscule amount by any LSP. That does not, however mean they are without worth or merit. This is particularly true when you realize most of our work is not about 100% corrections. So a 50%, 75% or even 90% correction can indeed be benefitted (in some cases greatly) by a particular LSP.

Fillers, masking agents, gloss enhancers, infusing oils/conditioners, and most importantly the protection and preservation ability of LSP's can wholly or in part contribute to a vehicle's final appearance. Even on a completely prepped paint surface, those subtle nuances in gloss, liquidity, and depth can be the icing on the cake.

The major difference in final look in my opinion can be found between carnauba waxes and synthetic sealants and not so much between the individual products within the same category. This is particularly true of varying colors and paints with high metal flake content, custom artwork, or custom shading. High end LSP's also possess features or characteristics of application which are of benefit such as true wipe-on/wipe-off application and non-staining formulations which Meguiar's does not offer currently.

In the end it is a subjective preference and the key is to find a product...any product...which looks good to your eyes on your particular paint surface and enjoy it!

Calais
Jul 6th, 2009, 05:35 PM
My goal was to prove that a properly prepped surface would look amazing despite the cost of your LSP product, not to discourage anyone from buying Swissvax, Zymol or any other boutique wax. I provided pictures showing a paint surface that I spent a lot of time honing (it's still ~70% in my opinion) and coated it with a thin layer of extremely inexpensive wax. I think the resulting finish was fairly impressive despite the cheap LSP I used. I felt like proving that one does not need an expensive boutique wax to create a head-turning paint surface. The importance of one's LSP emphasized way too much, in my opinion.

That is all.

Eddie6th
Jul 6th, 2009, 05:52 PM
My goal was to prove that a properly prepped surface would look amazing despite the cost of your LSP product, not to discourage anyone from buying Swissvax, Zymol or any other boutique wax. I provided pictures showing a paint surface that I spent a lot of time honing (it's still ~70% in my opinion) and coated it with a thin layer of extremely inexpensive wax. I think the resulting finish was fairly impressive despite the cheap LSP I used. I felt like proving that one does not need an expensive boutique wax to create a head-turning paint surface. The importance of one's LSP emphasized way too much, in my opinion.

That is all.

You opened up a big can of worms.:chuckle1

Nobody will discourage me from buying a particular wax. The price will discourage me.

Andrew C.
Jul 6th, 2009, 06:11 PM

That is all.

I will definitely agree with the fact that you don't need an expensive LSP to make heads turn. You can use a cheap LSP like cleaner wax and it will make heads turn, it may not look as good as if it was sealed with a more expensive LSP to some, but it still enough that was put into the prep that makes people say wow!

MoPe77
Jul 6th, 2009, 06:59 PM
But in the end, my 335i and G37 are just ordinary cars that nobody gives a hoot about.

:wow1

Ordinary? Where I originally came from, you were lucky to have a car. Let alone, one of those. And you have both!? Congrats man. Those are sick cars IMO.

Megafast13
Jul 6th, 2009, 07:10 PM
Wow! This topic has really taken off haha.

I have tried more expensive waxes, but none over 100 dollars. I think someone would be insane to spend more than that on a wax or sealant.

I honestly don't see a difference between a wolfgang and wax and NXT 2.0.
From Appearance, Reflection, Gloss,etc.

If anything, I think the more expensive paste waxes are much harder to work with. They are harder to apply and remove and such.

I honestly believe that NXT 2.0 is currently the best option overall. As many others have already said, there may be a wax out their that gives more pop or gloss but it will fail in other aspects such as application.

I don't care if my wax is made from natural carnuaba from a rain forest, or blended together in a lab/factory.

NXT 2.0 and M26 get my vote for the easiest Application, Smell, Removal, Gloss, Pop, Protection, Beading/Sheeting, etc

AeroCleanse
Jul 6th, 2009, 07:15 PM
If anything, I think the more expensive paste waxes are much harder to work with. They are harder to apply and remove and such.

Harder? They are easy to use. As I said before, spread a thin layer, wait 15-20min then wipe off with a microfiber. People that have a hard time often put on way too much product.

Eddie6th
Jul 6th, 2009, 07:39 PM
Even the whole issue with Carnauba waxes.

It's already been stated on the forum that it's not just the carnauba content that makes it what it is.

If Meguiar's are already using selected carnauba of good quality(which I have read in the past),what's with the more expensive ones.The amount? The location? The color?

Bunky
Jul 7th, 2009, 02:13 AM
.... but I honestly cannot say that it is dramatically superior to NXT or Collinite 845. In light of Dave KG's wax test (http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=83207), I do wonder to what extent we see what we want to see.

After doing my own wax test and thinking about how to try it again, bllack may be a neutral color but I think some of the optical effects may be appreciated on different colors and metallic paints. I did not see much difference and my paint was not in perfect condition either. M wax test did include a popular glaze and I did not see any obvioua improvement either.

beautechnique-scott
Jul 7th, 2009, 09:34 AM
Even the whole issue with Carnauba waxes.

It's already been stated on the forum that it's not just the carnauba content that makes it what it is.

If Meguiar's are already using selected carnauba of good quality(which I have read in the past),what's with the more expensive ones.The amount? The location? The color?

apparently its the percentage by volume of No1 grade carnauba wax thats actually in the product itself.
swissvax state that paul daltons crystal rock is 76% by volume where as SV onyx is 30%.
i find it hard to beleive at all that a wax could have anymore than 50% otherwise it wouldnt be workable...........you would need an angle grinder or hammer and chissle to remove it!
onyx is a workable slick, oily wax which i would assume is about the same content % wise as that of dodo juice rubbish boys edition.
dodo juice waxes are between 20-45% ( supernatural ) IMO and are good workable waxes, the colour charged ones are also benificial for boosting the colour and making it pop which i think would signify some form of poly booster has been added.
ive wanted to try the megs yellow tech wax as it sates it has a percentage of yellow carnauba wax.........though how much i dont know.
No16 mirror glaze paste wax is a good entry level wax, durability lasts about 2 month at its best, easy on easy off, doesnt smell bad and leaves a nice slick feel which is good for an off the shelf product.
the gold class paste wax smells like sour cream, is very chalky/dusty and did not impress me at all so poor value/finish and durability makes it a know go.
stick with your nxt, No16, some dodo ( SN is to expensive and isnt that good IMO ) and you will be fine.
anything over the £30-£35 which works out to be $50 is silly.

Eddie6th
Jul 7th, 2009, 04:27 PM
Thanks scott.

I agree with that. Max that I pay for wax is Techwax2.0,but the others are half.I'm happy with the results.

Never tryed the GC paste wax.You say it smells like sour cream,and yet the liquid smell's sweet.

:doublethumbsup2

Calais
Jul 7th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Never tryed the GC paste wax.You say it smells like sour cream,and yet the liquid smell's sweet.

Mine doesn't smell like sour cream. Bad batch, maybe? :dunno My GC paste smells rather pleasant is not very powdery at all.

dsclark
Feb 14th, 2010, 01:01 PM
There is a curious pyschology when it comes to car care products, with more $ meaning better.
True story- on one car forum site, a person claimed to be a chemist and was offering to selling 2oz tins of wax for $80 that he said was better than the stuff Zymol sold for $500.
Ok, digest those prices for a sec..
He became a forum sponser and people bought these tins. Testimonials poured in from forum members and this induced others to buy these little itty bitty tins of wax. One member claimed to be a detailer of exotic cars and siad it was better than anything zymol made. He was a long time poster so I don't think he was a plant.
Then the truth came out- the guy was no chemist. He bought wax made by the Chemical Guys, repackaged it and jacked the price many, many times. Why were people so fooled? Because of what I call car wax psychology.

kimchiyuk
Feb 14th, 2010, 01:05 PM
There is a curious pyschology when it comes to car care products, with more $ meaning better.
True story- on one car forum site, a person claimed to be a chemist and was offering to selling 2oz tins of wax for $80 that he said was better than the stuff Zymol sold for $500.
He became a forum sponser and people bought these tins. Testimonials poured in from forum members and this induced others to buy these little itty bitty tins of wax. One member claimed to be a detailer of exotic cars and siad it was better than anything zymol made. He was a long time poster so I don't think he was a plant.
Then the truth came out- the guy was no chemist. He bought wax made by the Chemical Guys, repackaged it and jacked the price many, many times. Why were people so fooled? Because of what I call car wax psychology.
Exactly why I am perfectly content spending $10-$15 on a tin/bottle of Meguiar's!!!

BobbyG
Mar 6th, 2010, 03:44 AM

Haha! Sort of like snake-oil salesman of yesteryear if you ask me!

I attend one car show annually and the same guy shows up selling all sorts of finish products in bottles with his own labels pasted on the outside. When I ask who's chemicals he's using he tells me they're his own mixture..... Sure Buddy!! :scratchhead1:scratchhead1:scratchhead1:furious1:furious1:furious1

J. A. Michaels
Mar 6th, 2010, 04:01 AM
We are so conditioned as a society. You get what you pay fore. So the pricier something is. It has to be better, right. Not necessarily. That to me is the psychology behind it. I bought a expensive car. I usually use a $10.00 wax. If I step up to a $50.00 wax it has to be 5 times better. I say do your research, use proper technique. You can get the same results and have a fatter wallet. lol

sleepy
Mar 6th, 2010, 06:07 AM
We are so conditioned as a society. You get what you pay fore. So the pricier something is. It has to be better, right. Not necessarily. That to me is the psychology behind it. I bought a expensive car. I usually use a $10.00 wax. If I step up to a $50.00 wax it has to be 5 times better. I say do your research, use proper technique. You can get the same results and have a fatter wallet. lol

Right on!:xyxthumbs

Larry A
Mar 6th, 2010, 08:44 AM
Just use the wax that looks the best to you. If you have a lot of money then by all means buy the expensive wax . If you are like me you will use the best of the cheapest. You cant go wrong with any Meguiars product. Ive tried many waxes , and Meguiars is up their with the best of them. Ive used Poorboys Black Hole and Natty Blue on a black Ford and it came out outstanding. I sure that if I used Megs #7 and #26 it would came out the same way. I know a detailer that does wonders with 151. I forgot that Natty Blue is a $25.00 wax . Thats cheap wax to some people.

Joenok
Mar 6th, 2010, 05:04 PM

If he had smacked a swiss cross on hit he probably could have tripled his income :poke