PDA

View Full Version : Do you use compressed air while detailing?

Mike Pennington
Aug 11th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Do you use or have access to compressed air while detailing?

rusty bumper
Aug 11th, 2009, 05:00 PM
No, but unless you are using pneumatic tools why the need for it?

Course, I guess it would be good for blowing out trapped water from trim & such.

CharlesW
Aug 11th, 2009, 05:22 PM
Rarely since I am only a hobby detailer, but I do occasionally use it to blow sand out of the vehicle carpet and to blow any accumulation of "stuff" out from under the seats.

AeroCleanse
Aug 11th, 2009, 06:50 PM

I have access to it but only use it for drying the engine bay.

kaptain_zero
Aug 11th, 2009, 07:22 PM
I have, but do not normally use for detailing, unless I'm working on the interior and then only if I have crud in a hole of some kind. IF I had a place warm enough to wash the car during the winter then compressed air would be a necessity for blowing out locks and the like.

Regards

Christian

SHYNEMAN123
Aug 11th, 2009, 07:31 PM
I use it all the time. Interiors to loosen dirt in seats and carpets prior to vacuum and the Tornado dash/crevice tool.my wool pad spur has nipple for air hook up for drying after wash and to aid in cleaning pad during compounding.

3" D/A for tight spots and the 3 " rotary.

http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/data/500/medium/TORNADOR1.jpg

http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/data/500/medium/NEW_007.jpg

tcope1
Aug 11th, 2009, 07:50 PM
Sometimes if I'm gassy.

Oh, that is not what you meant.

Markus Kleis
Aug 11th, 2009, 07:56 PM
I wish... if I had the room for a large compressor in my garage I would love to have it. It would be a handy tool for cleaning out the cracks and running tools.

imacarnut
Aug 11th, 2009, 09:29 PM
Unfortunately not. That's where the leaf blower comes in.

H.E.D
Aug 11th, 2009, 09:44 PM
What's your review on the Tornador gun is it really helpful? as far as compress air I use it for: engine, interior blow out, trim, tires for low air, wheels and lug nuts, to clean pads, and myself the best use :D.

ClearlyCoated
Aug 11th, 2009, 11:05 PM
Really handy for blowing out compound dust or polishing dust from the surface as you work, but I still rely on my leaf blower

J. A. Michaels
Aug 12th, 2009, 02:21 AM
No but I wish I could.

SHYNEMAN123
Aug 12th, 2009, 02:51 AM
What's your review on the Tornador gun is it really helpful? as far as compress air I use it for: engine, interior blow out, trim, tires for low air, wheels and lug nuts, to clean pads, and myself the best use :D.

It cut my Interior detail time in half. I love it.

Kornercarver
Aug 12th, 2009, 06:10 AM
I wish... if I had the room for a large compressor in my garage I would love to have it. It would be a handy tool for cleaning out the cracks and running tools.

I have my air compressor located in the basement. I drilled a small hole in the garage wall to bring the hose into the garage. The only disadvantage is I have to run to the basement to turn it on.

H.E.D
Aug 12th, 2009, 09:19 AM
It cut my Interior detail time in half. I love it.

Nice. I probably will be getting one in the next month I can get a sweet deal on it so im going for it. Also what compressor do you recommend? i have a Porter Cable 6 gal.

smooth72
Aug 12th, 2009, 12:47 PM
That is one tool if it quit working I would have to replace asap. Anywhere from blowing out the interior and the water from outside to numerous buffers for aluminum and paint. I do use my makita, pc and flex for most of the paint. But I love my Chicago pneumatic (this not a Harbor freight tool) 3" buffer for small areas and to use on interior paint. Scottwax2

Zuke
Aug 12th, 2009, 01:01 PM
Does a leaf blower count? Mine is attached from my shop vac and I have some small hoses and attachments that meet my needs, but I wish id had it!

SHYNEMAN123
Aug 12th, 2009, 03:35 PM
Nice. I probably will be getting one in the next month I can get a sweet deal on it so im going for it. Also what compressor do you recommend? i have a Porter Cable 6 gal.

Not sure I will check the specs for you, I have a 5HP 60 gal but I am sure you don't need anything that big.

H.E.D
Aug 12th, 2009, 08:29 PM
^ thanks I appreciate that.

chessplayer
Aug 15th, 2009, 01:15 AM
no i dont use air tools i have no access to them ...

smooth72
Aug 15th, 2009, 12:56 PM
[QUOTE=chessplayer;349335]no i dont use air tools i have no access to them ...[/QUOTE

once you get one they become addiction.:chuckle1
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a156/smooth72/tools.jpg

bmrfan
Aug 19th, 2009, 08:52 AM
Just started using compressed air recently (bought a bigger compressor). Really handy with "drying" the engine compartment, door jambs, etc.

brickyardz
Aug 19th, 2009, 09:58 PM
I have a 30 gallon air compressor in my garage. Its available to me but have yet to use it specifically in detailing. Its more been used for filling tires with air and using other air tools when working on a car. I also plan to paint car parts with it in the future.

Calais
Aug 24th, 2009, 08:26 PM
Uhh... I use the little duster cans from Staples to blow water out of trim.

visaliaipa
Aug 26th, 2009, 11:15 AM
I have a big air compressor that I bought from Northern Tool a few years ago. Its a 2 stage 80 gallon 19.2 CFP @90 psi. Works really great and love it when I had my jeep to run air tools. Also like to use it to blow the water out of the trim, mirrors and other recessed areas.

I even had one on my Jeep. Converted the A/C compressor and had a 2 1/2 gallon tank under the hood. Could easily air the tires up and down and run a impact or regular wrench.

Jokeman
Aug 27th, 2009, 11:55 AM
I have a 30 gallon air compressor in my garage. Its available to me but have yet to use it specifically in detailing. Its more been used for filling tires with air and using other air tools when working on a car. I also plan to paint car parts with it in the future.

30 Gallon home owners compressor will not be big enough to paint cars unless it is a gas powered jobby.

I'd hate to detail without compressed air.

Dan Fisher
Sep 2nd, 2009, 06:11 AM
I use it mainly to blow out water after a wash in many areas ie: side mirrors ,cowl area, grills, around head lights, wheels, and wheel wells, hood and trunk lid edge area, any where water can get trapped to give you night-mares latteron in a detail!! LOL

RaskyR1
Sep 2nd, 2009, 08:32 AM
I don't think I could do a full detail on a car without it! ;)

-Blowing off engine and exterior nooks & crannies
-Purging interior to get all the loose debirs out from hard to reach areas
-Detailing vents, pockets, and other tight areas
-Blowing off wool pads
-A must for the cheap carpet in some cars...like the junk they used in the old Geo Trackers!!! :furious1

dschribs
Sep 2nd, 2009, 09:04 AM
From what I've read, compressed air is what Kevin Brown recommends for pad cleaning. Part of the "method".

Calais
Sep 2nd, 2009, 11:42 AM
They wouldn't sell me cans of compressed air at Staples the other day because they thought I was going to huff it. They needed to see an ID! I showed them my bag full of detailing supplies, told them what I use it for and they gave me a look that said "a likely story". :furious1

RaskyR1
Sep 2nd, 2009, 12:54 PM
They wouldn't sell me cans of compressed air at Staples the other day because they thought I was going to huff it. They needed to see an ID! I showed them my bag full of detailing supplies, told them what I use it for and they gave me a look that said "a likely story". :furious1

LMAO! :rofl:

TimG
Sep 2nd, 2009, 03:30 PM
I don't think I could do a full detail on a car without it! ;)

-Blowing off engine and exterior nooks & crannies
-Purging interior to get all the loose debirs out from hard to reach areas
-Detailing vents, pockets, and other tight areas
-Blowing off wool pads
-A must for the cheap carpet in some cars...like the junk they used in the old ****!!! :furious1

+1 Cant seem to properly finish work w/o it.

LMAO!

RG1202262
Sep 2nd, 2009, 04:21 PM

:wall:

I said no. Not for not wanting though. I have no room for a compressor at the moment.

SHYNEMAN123
Sep 10th, 2009, 06:37 PM

Get yourself a big truck inner tube, some air line and some adpt. fittings fill the inner tube and you have cheap portable air.

BobbyG
Apr 3rd, 2010, 03:04 AM
Compressed air is almost a must have if you do any sort of work on cars.

aris
Apr 26th, 2010, 03:40 PM
IF i am going to be waxing then yes...but if i'm just washing then i use my absorber

rusty bumper
May 4th, 2010, 07:24 AM
Get yourself a big truck inner tube, some air line and some adpt. fittings fill the inner tube and you have cheap portable air.
Does that work better than a 7 gallon air tank?

ChpStcksRlz
May 12th, 2010, 08:37 PM
I have a 20 gallon air compressor my stepdad left. But I don't see the point of using it, nor do I even know how to use it :(

TxRado
May 13th, 2010, 07:19 PM
Bah I wish there was a 3rd poll option: "No, but wish I did"

I used them frequently at the detail shop but don't own a compressor at home. Great tool to have as a detailer imo.

Bill Davidson
May 13th, 2010, 08:56 PM
I just used my air compressor for detailing for the first time a couple of days ago. I thought I kept my 2 year old truck extremely clean ( I normally vacuum under the seats often). I was surprised by how much debris I blew out from underneath the seats. I was also pleasantly surprised how much faster and effective, I was at vacuuming lint etc. out out of the seats and carpet. Just a quick shot with the air while holding the vacuum nozzle in front to catch the debris was all it took.

I did have to wear hearing protection however as the combination of vacuum and air was quite loud. I also wore safety glasses. I always use safety gear so this is no big deal to me. I wear hearing protection with the G110V2 as well.

Jossy92
May 14th, 2010, 07:30 AM
I was also pleasantly surprised how much faster and effective, I was at vacuuming ...Just a quick shot...to catch the debris was all it took.

Thanks for the feedback. Any advice on the smallest tank/compressor that would get your interior done? [IE. "surprise you"]. :)

"Just a quick shot with the air while holding the vacuum nozzle in front to catch the debris was all it took."

Some us have space problems and in the spring, credit card fingers are starting to twitch. There are stand alone pressure tanks, but, you can get a pancake compressor for around $100. Still........

It's about the weight...something light enough to put up on a high shelf.

If you filled the tank and turned off the compressor do you think you'd have enough pressure for the required number of quick shots without sacrificing your standards for the interior.

Thanks [hopefully not just for me.]

Bill Davidson
May 14th, 2010, 08:29 AM
Thanks for the feedback. Any advice on the smallest tank/compressor that would get your interior done? [IE. "surprise you"]. :)

http://img.skitch.com/20100514-ci1ujjra22uhxph8gecyg4wwf9.jpg
This is what I was using with absolutely no issues. 6 gallon, 150 psi max.

However, I would prefer something smaller, quieter, lighter for mobile detailing. Sorry I don't have a recommendation.

Jossy92
May 14th, 2010, 12:19 PM
... I was using... 6 gallon, 150 psi max.
.would prefer something smaller for mobile detailing.

I will continue researching and let you know if I find something. A compressor with the tank? Appreciate the info, which has given me a different search tactic. :)

I am leaning towards a carrier as I will seldom use it.

Bill Davidson
May 14th, 2010, 12:28 PM
Costco has some pretty cheap small compressors. If you don't like them you can always take them back.

I'd stay away from the tank only models. You'll likely never use it, as it will be a pain in the but to take to the gas station etc to refill. You loose a lot of air pressure quickly with a blowing air out to atmosphere. It's not the same as inflating a tire.

Andrew C.
Jun 20th, 2010, 09:41 PM
Unfortunately not. That's where the leaf blower comes in.
Same!

TOGWT
Jan 8th, 2011, 03:40 AM
The important things to look for is the CFM output at a given PSI rating, to ensure the air tools you plan to use will not exceed this rating in order to operate properly. Generally speaking, the higher the HP, the more flow rate you can use on a constant basis (greater number of tools, or tools with higher flow rate requirements). The greater the tank volumes, the longer you can run without having the air pump kick in.

Tool air requirements SCFM @ 90 PSI
• 6-inch pneumatic palm Sander / Polisher - 15-20.0
• 3- inch pneumatic palm Sander / Polisher – 4- 6.0
• Impact Wrench - 2.5-10.0
• Mini Die Grinder 4-6.0
• Grease Gun - 4.0
• Touch-up HVLP air spray gun 4 – 6.0
• Air Foamer HP Foam Gun – 5.0
• Tornador Car Cleaning Gun – 5.0

Add the CFM of the tools that will be used at the same time plus 10%, add this number to the total CFM required. The number you come up with will be the highest rating of air compressor you should be looking for. This CFM rating will allow you to run your tools without over-taxing the compressor.