PDA

View Full Version : ColorX: Who as already used it?

JGV
Jan 29th, 2004, 06:06 AM
How is it?

Mosca
Jan 29th, 2004, 09:50 AM
I don't have any yet, but I was wondering, is it an NXT product?

Tom

mopar
Jan 29th, 2004, 01:21 PM
i dont think it is

mopar
Jan 29th, 2004, 08:33 PM
maybe there is another small new line plastx,scratchx,colourx?
im very curiuos though

TOGWT
Jan 30th, 2004, 07:26 AM
Quote: ColorX: Who as already used it?

~One man’s opinion /observations~

What is it’s ‘cleaner’ mechanical (abrasive) or solvent?

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/

justadumbarchitect * so i question everything*

TOGWT
Jan 30th, 2004, 07:51 AM
Quote: This product is a one-step cleaner/polish and synthetic wax.

Very much like Meguiar's Cleaner/Wax, (A-12 the maroon bottle stuff), only with better cleaning ability, and darkening ability, thus the reason it will restore the true color.

Part of seeing a paints true color is have a really clean surface. You don't want any built-up contamination, DIP, (dirt in pores), chemical etching, etc to block or hide the true color of the paint from shining through, whether its a single stage, or a clear coat.

So by upping the cleaning ability, this product makes for a stronger cleaner wax for Joe Consumer looking for an effective one-step product.

Easy to use, versatile, can be used by hand or machine.

Mike

~One man’s opinion /observations~

Found this on the ‘other’ Meguire’s website (and answered my own questions on this product)

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/

justadumbarchitect * so i question everything*

ebpcivicsi
Feb 1st, 2004, 06:23 AM
Originally posted by 2hotford
Hey,

As far as I know, Meguiar's ColorX was introduced around the same time as the NXT series of products. In my limited testing of the product so far, I have to say, I am impressed!! I find the cleaning ability to be a little more than something like Meguiar's Cleaner Wax but not as much as #66 Quick Detailer Cleaner/Wax.

Cheers!
Tim
I will second this.

I tried it yesterday on some older neglected paint, worked beautifully. Smells like #66, a little less agresive. I topped with NXT, nice combo. I will post a pic later if anyone is interested, no befores. Sorry it was cold!

JGV, think PWC, but with a little more solvent. For the $, hard to beat.

Patrick
Feb 17th, 2004, 08:56 PM
chemical cleaner....
http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=88&perpage=15&pagenumber=3

scrub
Jul 15th, 2004, 09:24 PM
Colorx and NXT applied by hand test before

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/694DSC01934-med.JPG

After

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/694DSC01943-med.JPG

Rockpick
Jul 16th, 2004, 04:35 AM
WOW scrub!

That's certainly a testament on how the ColorX/NXT combo can work! Great results and thanks for posting those pictures!:bow

I, too, have used ColorX with great success but, unfortunately I didn't document it very well.

My wife's 02 Accord had several very fine swirls as well as some hairline scratching. ColorX was used immediately following the wash with Gold Class Shampoo and, in a single step, nearly eliminated all of the swirls as well as slight scratches. Needless to say, I was VERY impressed with this product!

I topped with two coats of #26 which really brought out the depth and clarity. Color-X is a product that I will definitely keep in my detailing arsenal!

RP :D

fiberrich
Jul 16th, 2004, 05:42 AM
I’ve used the ColorX/NXT combo as a 2-step process (applied by hand) on two dark color older cars and they turned out looking very good. Cleaned and filled the swirls very nicely.

I've also used ColorX alone (applied by PC) on a beige metallic Cadillac to give the car a quick once over before the owner sold the car and it removed the oxidation and provide a pretty nice reflective finish for putting so little effort into it.

Scrub, nice work! :xyxthumbs

Tim Lingor
Jul 16th, 2004, 06:30 AM
Hey,

I have used ColorX on both SS and BC/CC paints and have to say that it does a great job of cleaning and polishing the paint. Then topping it with NXT, like the others have already mentioned, brings out a deep, rich looking finish!!

Tim

scrub
Jul 16th, 2004, 06:37 AM
Thanks for comments.. People ask when did I start painting cars!! This was a great car for before and after shots. It's SS paint and I knew it would come back to life. I topped with NXT to help with protection and durability. NXT also gave the finish a nice POP. I bypassed the PC for the fact of color pigment making a mess of my pads. Maybe one day SS/colorx/pc.

Tim Lingor
Jul 16th, 2004, 06:42 AM
Hey Scrub,

You did a great job on that car!!!:xyxthumbs

Even though it does not hurt anything, I know what you mean about the pigment and the pads. :)

Tim

scrub
Jul 16th, 2004, 06:46 AM
Judging by your reply I guess the pigment will wash out?? I ended up throwing out the towels and pads I used instead of washing. They were older worn out towels and such.

Tim Lingor
Jul 16th, 2004, 06:53 AM
Hey,

Although Meguiar's does not recommend washing their pads, some of the pigment does wash out. ;) The remaining pigment only stains the pad but does not hurt it otherwise. Even using a pad on BC/CC will take off and transfer some clear to your pads; you just do not see it as easily as SS paints.

Tim

fiberrich
Jul 16th, 2004, 07:36 AM
Hey,

Sorry to change gears here, but since you mentioned pads, I do have a quick question I've wanted to ask.

I'm new to using the PC. I noticed that I've gotten close to some trim and I get some blackness around the outer edge of the pad.

I'm not sure if it's trim detailer/protectant coming off, oxidation of the trim material or the material itself.

I used a brush on the pad to remove along the edge, but I'm concern if I ruined my pads. However, it came off nicely.

More importantly with either the #82 or #83, it looked like little specs/chunks and I'm wondering if this was actual trim material, which would now be on my pad, or just dried product stained black from when I touched the trip. I'm worried of using the pads again on my paint! Again, they look pretty clean now, but I'm just wanted to get some thoughts.

Any thoughts/experience with this happening to anyone?

P.S. I know I need to mask off the trim with tape.

Tim Lingor
Jul 16th, 2004, 07:44 AM
Hey,

If you touched the black trim pieces, you will most likely get some of the oxidation of the material onto the pads. For example, if you rub a towel across the window moulding material, you will get black on your towel even if it does not have any cleaners on the towel.

The pads will be stained to a certain degree, which some of it will fade in time. However, if you have some black specs of a hard plastic now impregnated into the pad, I would not use that pad on the paint. Even a tiny hard spec will cause "pig tails" on the paint and/or swirls.

Tim

fiberrich
Jul 16th, 2004, 08:00 AM
Well, I inspected the finish after the #83/83 and the finish turned out great with only a few swirls left. I just hope the polishing oils in the product isn’t hiding “pig tails”.

I just looked at the pads again and any remaining residue looks more like stain than remnants of plastic/vinyl.

So you've had this happen to you as well?

mrzeee
Jul 22nd, 2004, 10:07 PM
colorX + PC = good results???