PDA

View Full Version : DC 1&2 or Color-x & NXT

Flawless
Mar 21st, 2004, 04:22 PM
Which one would be better or would they both achieve the same results. I know that the color-x is a cleaner and polish so that would take out some steps. Here is what I am planning on doing...(1) Wash car (2) Clay car (3) Either do the deep crystal 1&2 thing or use the color-x (4) then the Nxt wax. I need a new buffer,mine has bit the dust. Has anyone used the cordless G-104,or can you recommend one. Thanks:D

4.6GT
Mar 21st, 2004, 04:49 PM
I think the color X and NXT combo is a good one. I also was wondering about the cordless buffer, pretty good price if it has the power to do the job.

gb387
Mar 21st, 2004, 05:27 PM
I am a fan of the three steps.... separate cleaner/Polish/Wax but that’s not to say color X is not a good product. It seems I can get a better result from dedicated products.

I have wondered about the Meguiars cordless buffer sure looks like a good idea! I am sure you have looked in to it but another option might be a Porter Cable 7424 Polisher and the Meguiars backing plate and pads.

Flawless
Mar 21st, 2004, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by gb387
I am a fan of the three steps.... separate cleaner/Polish/Wax but that’s not to say color X is not a good product. It seems I can get a better result from dedicated products.

I have wondered about the Meguiars cordless buffer sure looks like a good idea! I am sure you have looked in to it but another option might be a Porter Cable 7424 Polisher and the Meguiars backing plate and pads.

I know what you mean about doing seperate steps, Cleaner,polish,wax. That's what I do all the time. As for the 7424,I haven't though of it. Is that an orbital polisher. Don't want to burn the paint? ;)

gb387
Mar 21st, 2004, 06:59 PM
Its a "dual action" aka orbital polisher... you will find that there are many people on the board that have one. They will give you professional looking results with out having the possibility of damaging your paint, anyone can use one. They are easy to use and control yet they have some power.

Check this free video "Power Polishing Clinic" its on Meguiars web site. check here (http://www.meguiars.com/clinics/clinics_template.cfm) This tells all about the Meguiars Dual Action Polisher. The polisher from Meguiars runs $230 but a company called Porter Cable makes it for them and you can get the same polisher for 109-119 just have to shop around. Then order the backing plate kit with the 6.5" pads from Meguiars runs $35 and you are set! It will cost a little more than the battery powered polisher but I don't think you will find anyone who regrets buying a PC. Here is the Porter Cable Version (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00004SUQ8/qid=1079925067/sr=8-1/ref=pd_ka_1/104-8550231-2323902?v=glance&s=hi&n=507846). The advantage of going with the Meguiars Dual action polisher (http://www.meguiars.com/store_meguiars/product_detail.cfm?sku=G-100) is that it comes with a lifetime warranty.

Defiantly check into one. I am sure someone else will chime in and give their experience with the PC. Having used several different polishers.... these work MUCH better and have more control than any "polisher" you will find at walmart or anywhere else.

Rick
Mar 22nd, 2004, 12:48 PM
I'll second that. I have pretty much one of each type of "polisher". An orbital, a rotary and recently bought a DA polisher. The orbital has sat unused for a long time now, it will probably be for sale at the next garage sale. The rotary has it's uses for removing paint defects but for general shining up it's way too aggressive. The DA by far is the best all around. It's idiot proof but works very very well at the same time. PM me if you want, I was able to get my Meguiars one for $160, which is worth the extra few bucks in my opinion because it gets you a lifetime warranty.

Flawless
Mar 22nd, 2004, 12:49 PM
Thnaks for the info.;)

rusty bumper
Mar 22nd, 2004, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by Flawless
Which one would be better or would they both achieve the same results. I know that the color-x is a cleaner and polish so that would take out some steps. Here is what I am planning on doing...(1) Wash car (2) Clay car (3) Either do the deep crystal 1&2 thing or use the color-x (4) then the Nxt wax. I need a new buffer,mine has bit the dust. Has anyone used the cordless G-104,or can you recommend one. Thanks:D

Try all 4!...ColorX, DC 1 & 2 & NXT...:cool:

By all means buy a PC...You won't look back.

mrtech
Mar 23rd, 2004, 09:55 PM
Sounds like ColorX is intended for dark colors. I have a Satin Silver car. I use NXT on it. Will it look better with ColorX then NXT?

rusty bumper
Mar 23rd, 2004, 10:12 PM
I can't say as I have not used ColorX on a light colored car yet, but I'm sure it would look good...As a matter of fact, I just read the bottle and the label say's that it's good for all colors.

I wouldn't hesitate to use any of Meguiar's paint care products on any color paint.

mopar
Mar 24th, 2004, 08:36 PM
I HAVE USED THE CORDLESS BUFFER AND HAVE BEEN HAPPY WITH IT

Mike Phillips
Mar 24th, 2004, 09:59 PM
Just to chime in here,

Generally speaking, you will get your best results when you perform dedicated processes using dedicated products.

Example:

Cleaning the paint with a paint cleaner
Polishing the paint with a cleaner/polish
Polishing the paint with a pure polish
Protecting the paint with a pure protectant

That said, Meguiar's cleaner/waxes work great. The more I use the ColorX product, the more I am impressed with it's ability to clean paint.

Meguiar’s Cleaner/Wax, (A-1216, maroon bottle cleaner/wax that came out in 1973, talk about heritage), while not near as strong as ColorX still does a good job for maintaining a daily driver using a one-step, plus it really lives a nice dark finish that beads water really well if your into that sort of thing.

As far as the Meguiar's Cordless polisher goes, this tool is best when used on a car that you have already detailed, or if the finish is brand new or in excellent condition. It doesn't have the oomph to clean neglected paint.

It does lay down a nice, even layer of polish or wax, and it is convenient in that you can take it anywhere, like a car show and you don't need a plug in.

Mike