PDA

View Full Version : What method(s) have you used in the past to combat hard water spots?

Mike Phillips
Dec 1st, 2004, 10:54 AM
We would appreciate your feedback, comments and suggestions on the topic or washing your car.

Thank you for participating in our poll! :xyxthumbs

Question 2

You can select more than one answer in this poll

What method(s) have you used in the past to combat hard water spots when washing and drying your vehicle? (select all that apply)

Totoland Mach
Dec 1st, 2004, 03:23 PM
Gee Mike: kinda make use of all the techniques you listed LOL you should have "all of the above"

RamAirV1
Dec 1st, 2004, 04:37 PM
Washing one's car in direct sun is begging for water spots.

Another thing I do is wash, rinse, and dry the car in sections and this really cuts down on water spots.

RamAirV1

Rick
Dec 1st, 2004, 05:04 PM
Does using compressed air to blow water out of the cracks count too?

RamAirV1
Dec 1st, 2004, 05:35 PM
That counts, and it's a great idea. I'll bet it really helps avoiding that drip, drip, drip.................

RamAirV1

Aurora40
Dec 2nd, 2004, 05:56 AM
To add to my vote opinion, I personally don't like the idea of using chemicals that "sheet" water off. The Mr Clean thing is something I like for trips, but I'd never use it at home. What the heck is that stuff that it leaves behind on my paint? It weirds me out.

Plus, I want car wash to do one thing really well: remove dirt from my car in the safest possible way, and minimize the impact on wax. That's why I like #00 so much, and why I step up to stronger stuff like Gold Class on the dirtier cars. :)

I still sometimes use the garden sprayer with distilled water, but usually I just QD the car after a wash to remove any residual spotting. Plus, this adds some extra gloss to the car. :xyxthumbs

RDVT4ME
Dec 2nd, 2004, 06:45 AM
Mike

I have soft water in my house. It also goes to the water outlet where I wash the cars.....so I always have soft water to avoid water spots.

TOGWT
Dec 2nd, 2004, 08:29 AM
I use a hose type water filter

12" In-line filter (0 TDS)(Reference #30)

12" in-line De-ioniser purifies tap water to zero parts per million. Water at this level of purity will give super spot free results when washing vehicles. The blue coloured mixed bed resin media inside the cartridge changes colour to brown to signal when the media is exhausted. In hard water areas it will be necessary to run a green in-line filter prior to the blue filter in order to prolong filter life. Caution if you use this filter on its own in a hard water area you may get as few as 5 washes before the filter becomes exhausted, if used in combination with a 30tds green filter up to 30 washes can be expected in hard water areas and up to 90 washes in softer water areas.

http://shop.ionicsystems.com/htdocs/acatalog/Ionic_Catalogue_Spot_Free_Filter_Systems_53.html

Superior Shine
Dec 2nd, 2004, 08:58 PM
I us a company that supplies me with tanks/filters that turns my tap water into "ultra-pure" water. The service cost me about $66 a month.

Here is something I just bought to top off my holding tank while on the road - www.spotfreewash.com

It works pretty good.

macdude
Dec 2nd, 2004, 10:36 PM
Hey Mike,
I use a double filtration water system in my detailing setup. It filters minerals to a purity level of 0.01 microns. The cars here are always done indoors so that helps a great deal :D

macdude
Dec 2nd, 2004, 10:49 PM
SS,

Mannnn... I just love your sig! :xyxthumbs

Carrera
Jan 17th, 2005, 12:50 PM
After I dry my car with cotton towels, I use a leaf blower on the car. All the water in the nicks and cranies is blown away. I am able to avoid water spots with this technique.

Jeff Burrows
Jan 17th, 2005, 03:53 PM
I use DI water that is heated and that is the anwerser to a lot of water spots. I use a vinegar water solution for chrome and windows. I use the #9 or #80 with the rotary if the water spots are bad and ont he paint, otherwise I will use the water vinegar soution and put a goo wax like #20. I use the Auqa dry to dry the car.

Superior Shine
Jan 17th, 2005, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by macdude
SS,

Mannnn... I just love your sig! :xyxthumbs

Thanks!

Apr 26th, 2005, 10:46 AM
all of the above and a couple I'm ashamed to admit to.:rolleyes:

DFTowel
May 28th, 2005, 05:40 AM
Here's my solution, if you want the car air dries itself with NO water spots, this is the same principle the Mr. Clean thingy works on but these are MUCH better.

http://www.pwgazette.com/gardenhosefilters.htm

Bill D
May 28th, 2005, 08:45 AM
Leo,

I recently purchased one of those but I didn't really get a chance to experiment with it yet but soon will as a brand new CLK straight off the port will be joining the family.

I received excellent customer service from that company. When there was an issue with the cap of the filter I first received it was corrected right away.

Buellwinkle
May 28th, 2005, 11:14 AM
At about 4.5 euros ($5.65) per wash (based on neededing both filters for 30 washes), that's extremely pricey. Also, I tried resin bead based filtration that promised lower TDS and it didn't help at all on my 415ppm TDS water.

Originally posted by TOGWT
I use a hose type water filter

12" In-line filter (0 TDS)(Reference #30)

12" in-line De-ioniser purifies tap water to zero parts per million. Water at this level of purity will give super spot free results when washing vehicles. The blue coloured mixed bed resin media inside the cartridge changes colour to brown to signal when the media is exhausted. In hard water areas it will be necessary to run a green in-line filter prior to the blue filter in order to prolong filter life. Caution if you use this filter on its own in a hard water area you may get as few as 5 washes before the filter becomes exhausted, if used in combination with a 30tds green filter up to 30 washes can be expected in hard water areas and up to 90 washes in softer water areas.

http://shop.ionicsystems.com/htdocs/acatalog/Ionic_Catalogue_Spot_Free_Filter_Systems_53.html

VanityDetailing
Jun 2nd, 2005, 05:10 AM
My marine results may be different, but on the docks, all we get is well water. And here in the capital of hard water, Jacksonville/St .Augustine, FL, my options are limited. I'll wash the boats as normal, chamois them off, and then hit the whole boat with #69 Aerosol Quick Wax. No water spots as of yet! Even if we do get them, the Quick Wax gets rid of them.

I can't emphasize enough how much I love that stuff.

http://www.westmarine.com/images/full/quicksprayf.jpg

Bill D
Jun 2nd, 2005, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by VanityYachtDetailing
. And here in the capital of hard water, Jacksonville/St .Augustine, FL......

I live close by and can relate. As for washing cars during the day time, if you try it, you will be very sorry. Seems like you'd have to do it at dawn or after sunset.

I purchased a de-ionizing cartridge and in line filter for my hose, will be trying that. If it does the job, ought to be less complicated and expensive than something like a CRSpotless set up.

QDing while drying, I still have the former Final Detail for it, is a routine part of my regimen.

RamAirV1
Jun 2nd, 2005, 02:31 PM
How long has the Quik Wax been on the market? I have never seen it locally. Is a liquid (like #50 or Flagship) required for a base before using this?

RamAirV1

TKDDAD
Sep 7th, 2005, 07:06 AM
I don't see washing a car as troublesome as having it rain and then having the rain dry on your car....many times that happens and you just can't get out to dry it off....result?, ugly water spots !!...I find I get water spots that way and never from washing the car...if you can dry it off, you shouldn't get water spots from washing....so, now the question is what do you do after it rains ??? :confused:

will20four
Feb 16th, 2006, 07:38 PM
i try to wash in the shade and dry as fast as i can. with the texas heat its hard to find a good time to wash when its not to warm/hot esp in the texas summers. for that reason shade works the best. i do try to wash in the mornings and evenings also.

mh68
Jul 15th, 2006, 03:40 PM
I'm not exactly sure what to select. I have a water softener and use soft water to wash with. Even if it dries before I can dry it off the few spots left behind wipe right off.

Mike

foxhound58
Jul 17th, 2006, 08:31 AM
A long time ago I bought a bottle of gold class wax, and it had a vidio packaged with it on car care. One little tip that I got from it is that when you are ready for the final rinse. Do not spray the car. Instead turn the water to a low stream, and starting at the top letting it flow creating a sheeting action. I do the top, then hood, then bumper, then working down one side until I get to the trunk, then back bumper, and down the final side. This rinse action doesn't let the water bead as much. So fewer spots, and takes less time, and fewer MF towels to dry.
If I do have any spots I will hit it with QD. That is why I voted other product to remove spots. Hope this helps.
The Fox

93ZF6
Jul 27th, 2006, 02:36 PM
I've got a whole house softener with well water, the system still leaves plenty of minerals, so I usea all of the methods shown. Megs branf filter would be great.

acsuppa
Aug 22nd, 2008, 04:47 AM
My vote was: Wash car in the shade and dry it off quickly. I some times will park my car WAY in the back yard and connect my teo long hoses together just for shade. I then quickly knock off the bulk of the water with my Cali Blade then towel dry.

captaincog
Aug 26th, 2008, 09:39 AM
I have used the other brands of water filters/soap in the dispenser and they always seemed to leave a film, along with the water spots.
I now use the 2 bucket system, grit guards, and NXT wash, followed by drying.
Last month I won a raffle with a different brand of car wash and decided to try it on my company car to see if there was a difference in the way I wash now or is the the car wash product itself.
I have been teaching my kids on how to detail, at least the little amount that I know, and we went through our normal routine: 2 buckets, early evening, no direct sunlight, dry off.
Worked on some other cleaning tasks and cam back to see....water spots all over!
I used to be convinced that it was the way I used to wash, which some was, and the hard water that I have.
It turned out to be the car wash.
We waited a couple of days and did the same test, same time and weather conditions. The NXT wash produced no spotting.
I will never use another product.....unless I don't like the person...

chillerman
Jan 22nd, 2009, 06:22 AM
I wash in the shade only and then use a combination of leaf blower and enough microfiber cloths to enable me to dry the car quickly. The leaf blower is good for blowing the majority of the water from the large upper surfaces and also from the tight areas with nameplates that can't be reached with a squeege. It can also get most of the water from out of the body panel openings so that there will be less time waiting for the drips to stop. I finish off with microfiber cloths. Good Tip: But a towel wringer and attach it to a bucket or strong plastic box. Put clean rinse water in the container with just a little bit of car wash to rinse and soak your cloths as you finish using them. Run them through the wringer and hang up to dry. I used tio hand wring but it was hard on the towels and not good for arthritic joints of the hands.

Eddie6th
Jun 14th, 2009, 02:21 PM
I try to get the drying done as quickly as I can,sometimes with help of another person.

On the black car,it's noticable. On my civic which is met.blue,it's hardly noticable,but they are obviously there just the same.

I like the hose attatchments,but find they are too expensive.The harder the water,the quicker they will become exhausted.I'd go through too many to make it economically viable.

I think my answer is to get a water magnet or a bigger chamois.

akimel
Sep 13th, 2009, 07:16 PM
What method(s) have you used in the past to combat hard water spots?

Prayer.

So far God has denied my prayers.

Sigh.

sanddrag
Sep 16th, 2009, 09:20 PM
My water here is VERY hard. Quick detailer gets a lot of spots off, but not all of them. Sometimes it even takes a little SwirlX or DC1 to get them out.

One day after washing and drying two cars as fast as I could between the time when the shade comes and when it is totally dark (very short time) and ending up with horrible spots on the black one (that would not come out with QD), I said heck with this and installed a hose tap off a house-softened line. It still will leave some spots, but not nearly as bad. I am now experimenting with the Mr. Clean gun, since they are being cleared out so cheap now. So far the results have been mediocre.

starchland
Sep 17th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Imo, If you dry the water off asap there should be no reason for water spots.

scottsjeep
Sep 20th, 2009, 07:39 PM
Hi,

has anyone used the Deluxe Clean Water Filter System that is on Wolfgangautocare.com? ($139)
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-59860105761128_2072_37757061

http://site.wolfgangcarcare.com/images/twofence.jpg
I was looking into getting an inexpensive water filter / softener, has anyone found something like that?

Thanks

Scott

Markus Kleis
Sep 20th, 2009, 09:52 PM
Hey Scott!

I removed the link and embedded some pictures for you since new members need to reach 30 posts before posting clickable links.

Thanks for your understanding!

Mark

ca_999
Jan 2nd, 2010, 02:01 AM
I use water softener for the entire house. The water here at my neighbourhood is hard enough to stain on all watery equipments. Eventhough, still the water seem stain a little bit if left dried. Probably from another mineral form.

I wash my car in the morning. Use distilled water (bought from a local groceries) for final rinse. Later after the sun goes up, I put the car in the garage for drying process.

jaymz
Jul 7th, 2011, 06:30 AM
Soft water will not help at all (or at least not much). What you need to do is get rid of the TDS in the water. A deionizer is what does the trick.

Jim

c5errr
Aug 15th, 2012, 11:16 PM
i spray water with nozzle
wash&wax
rinse using free flowing water without nozzle it makes more sheeting and less water beads
then directly i spray detailer panel by panel then smooth wipe with waffle weave towel then light buffing with soft microfiber
i try to do it as fast as possible

Top Gear
Jul 23rd, 2013, 04:56 PM
Hands down the best thing for me has been using a leaf blower to immediately dry the car. To do so, you must be patient and move slowly to get ALL the droplets off from the top down, drying the car very thoroughly (which still only takes 10 minutes or so). I used to deploy several MFs, but that took hours of wiping sometimes (particularly in high humidity), and only created more spiderwebs, exhaustion and frustration. I also use a very tight water filter, which does help, but the blower is the key to keeping that show car look, IMHO.

When it rains, I just let it sit, because rain is pure water (at least in the Southeast), so there are no spots, or at least, very light ones that are not "hard" spots, but light dirt residue easily removed with Quik Wax. After a hard rain, there may be streaking or drip lines around the mirrors and doors, say from prior Quik Wax or Ultimate Black, but those streaks are easy to touch up. Driving in the rain is another matter, of course, and I try to avoid it if possible!