PDA

View Full Version : Tire Cleaner Research

Mike Phillips
Dec 7th, 2004, 01:50 PM
Tire Cleaner Research

Meguiar's would like your feedback on the below question.

Question: If you use a tire cleaner to clean your tires, how often do you dress or apply some type of protectant to them after you've cleaned them?

1) Always
2) Sometimes
3) Never
Thank you for your participation! :xyxthumbs :xyxthumbs :xyxthumbs

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/2CleaningTire.jpg

Mike

thejazzguy
Dec 7th, 2004, 02:28 PM
Please add "Usually" to the list of choices.. "Sometimes" implies appathy. :) "Usually" at least shows that you're trying!

Mike Phillips
Dec 7th, 2004, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by thejazzguy
Please add "Usually" to the list of choices.. "Sometimes" implies appathy. :) "Usually" at least shows that you're trying!

How's that?

Mike

Mike Phillips
Dec 7th, 2004, 02:44 PM
Open question:

What type of products have you used in the past to clean your tires?

Myself, I tend to use the car wash I'm using at the time, (Currently my favorite is NXT Car Wash), but in the past I have used All Purpose Cleaner Plus from Meguair's Detailer Line, and now it's replacement, All Purpose Cleaner.

Afterwards, I usually dress my tires if time isn't an issue.

Mike

benhui86
Dec 7th, 2004, 02:51 PM
i usually just take some dish washing soap and clean my tires then i apply the dressing

clickster34
Dec 7th, 2004, 03:05 PM
I usually use Meguiar's extra cleaner with a scrub brush and dress with Endurance or Hot Shine depending on how much time I have.

RamAirV1
Dec 7th, 2004, 03:06 PM
I use the car wash (NXT) to clean my tires and wheels and it works just fine. That way the wax is not removed from the wheels.

RamAirV1

Lochi
Dec 7th, 2004, 04:15 PM
I only use APC (10:1) to clean my tires/wheels, and no dressings. I like the natural flat black look on the tires.

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/1672Tire.jpg

Greetings :xyxthumbs

kuhlguy71
Dec 7th, 2004, 04:25 PM
I use "Bleche-White". Soak the sidewall with it, dip a plastic bristled tire brush into first bucket of GC wash water, scrub tire. On the RWL's I spray them again with the "Bleche-White" and dip a thick bristled grill brush(stronger bristles than typical wire brush) and scrub the RWL's then rinse thorughly.

After emptying the first bucket, I wash the car then dry and spray on tire dressing. No-Touch works great for me. Lasts for a couple weeks.

bunker
Dec 7th, 2004, 04:30 PM
I am NOT a fan of an all-in-one product (cleaner/dressing)
I used to use Bleche White before I knew better to clean the tires. Use stiff brush and rinse. Follow up with Endurance or 303 Aerospace.

kuhlguy71
Dec 7th, 2004, 04:43 PM
Is there a drawback to "Bleche-White"?

scrub
Dec 7th, 2004, 05:28 PM
I voted usually/"sometimes". It's a time issue if I don't.

My steps and products to wash
1. Soak tire and wheel well with Safe D-Greaser. If I run out then APC
2. Agitiate with brush dipped in NXT soap and water.
3. Use wash mit on rims.
4. Rinse

When I started this process early in the summer I too liked the flat no dressing look. Then I tried All Season Dressing. Now I make time for applying dressing!

Hyper Dressing, #40, and Endurance are all great products. I switched from Endurance to ASD because ASD is available in gallon size.

Mike, where's this going??

Beercan31
Dec 7th, 2004, 06:10 PM
Most of the time I use what's available.
The products I found to work well are Spray Nine and Greased Lightning both are rather strong alkaline solvents so extreme caution is used when using this type of product near unprotected aluminum.

After the tire has dryed I use the Hot Tire Shine, This stuff seems to out last all others I have tried.

gman39120
Dec 7th, 2004, 06:48 PM
I like Eagle's A-Z Tire/Wheel Cleaner mainly for the fact that it is dual purpose. Nice to have one product that will handle both tasks and it's inexpensive as well. I love the look of Meg's #40 on my tires, but the durability is short lived. Great product though. It is my main choice for interior work.

Mike Phillips
Dec 7th, 2004, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by kuhlguy71
Is there a drawback to "Bleche-White"?

I've used this in the past to clean white letters and white walls on tires. I've been told that it might stain some surfaces if it's over-sprayed onto these areas, things like wheels and brake calibers. Something to be careful of if you have custom wheels or aftermarket components.

Mike

Lt1Corvette
Dec 7th, 2004, 07:41 PM
I usually go with some kind of an all purpose or a rubber cleaner. Following that I always dress the tires. I like a dark flat look and my favorite new setup is #40 followed by 303 after the 40 dries. I like that because when you do a wash most of the dressing comes off so you don't have to break out the apc every week.

vwong
Dec 7th, 2004, 08:30 PM
I wonder if you can add another choice in this poll ---> "very rare". Or maybe I should just vote on "never".

Since I use my car for auto-x, and oftentimes using the tire dressing will cause the tires to lose traction around corners (at the initial turn-in) because of the tire dressing on the tire shoulder. So I don't usually use tire dressing. I only use tire dressing if there is a long break between events.

Also, I used to use the Eagle A to Z wheel cleaner for cleaning the wheels and tires (with brush to agitate). Now I'm using NXT car wash to clean the wheels as well as the tires.

Aurora40
Dec 8th, 2004, 04:32 AM
Originally posted by Mike Phillips
What type of products have you used in the past to clean your tires?

On the Aurora, I use APC+ at about 8:1 an d a stiff-bristled brush. On the other cars, I use A2Z since I'm using it on the wheels anyway.

I clean tires when I wash the car on the daily-drivers, but only a few times a year on the Aurora as they stay pretty clean.

I typically now dress them with Endurance or Hot Shine mainly because I feel like I'm wasting good product using other vinyl/rubber products on them. :)

cheapthrills
Dec 8th, 2004, 05:01 AM
I have been using car wash and soft brush for tires for a long time, Then I switched and started using A2Z for everything wheels tires, wells. but it became rather expensive when doing friends and family members cars. So I picked up Triple Seven APC by Auto Magic, and dilute it 4-1 and it works well. I might try 6-1 being 4-1 works so well. I always dress tires, I have used Turtle wax, EO, Meguiar's, 303, and Stoners dressing, I really like 303 but I only use it on interiors now, and tend to use EO Wet on tires. looking to try some hyper dressing in the near future.

magnus
Dec 8th, 2004, 05:36 AM
I live in a rural area with lots of field dirt, dust, and mud. By the time I get around to washing the car, the dirt is stuck on fairly well.

I usually start with Gold Class All Wheel Cleaner (http://www.meguiars.com/store_meguiars/product_detail.cfm?sku=G-113) on the tires and wheels. I scrub the tires with Meguiar's curved tire brush and then rinse everything off.

I then wash the car per usual and then scrub the wheels, then tires, with a dedicated wash mitt (inexpensive cotton mitt) and the left over water from the car body.

If I feel that they are still farily dirty, I will use EXTRA All Surface Cleaner (http://www.meguiars.com/store_meguiars/product_detail.cfm?sku=G-93) and the curved tire brush.

When I polished the car over Thanksgiving weekend, I tried a new bottle of #39 Heavy Duty Vinyl Cleaner (http://www.meguiars.com/store_meguiars/product_detail.cfm?parenturl=index_pro.cfm&sku=M-39) on the trim and was impressed enough to see what it would do with the tires. After all the above steps, I still removed dirt with the #39.

On my '66 Mustang, I use Gold Class Endurance (http://www.meguiars.com/store_meguiars/product_detail.cfm?sku=G-74) with two coats. The Volvo gets an application of #40 Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner/Conditioner (http://www.meguiars.com/store_meguiars/product_detail.cfm?parenturl=index_pro.cfm&sku=M-40)

RickRS
Dec 8th, 2004, 05:47 AM
My vote is "never", but the reality is once-in-a-blue-moon.
Alway wash down the wheels and tires with leftover car soap, but rarely dress tires on a regular basis.

thejazzguy
Dec 8th, 2004, 01:51 PM
Thanks for the poll change Mike. But the change isn't exactly what I meant! :wall: I thought that a fourth choice of "usually" would be a good idea in addition to the "sometimes" choice. For example, I usually (9 in 10 times) dress my tires after cleaning. I sometimes (1 in 10 times) use glass cleaner on the windows. Oh well, no big deal! :xyxthumbs

thejazzguy
Dec 8th, 2004, 01:54 PM
I usually use Meguiar's EXTRA or Simple Green (recommended by Fikse, the wheel manufacturer) and a stiff brush.

Mike Phillips
Dec 8th, 2004, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by thejazzguy
Thanks for the poll change Mike. But the change isn't exactly what I meant! :wall: I thought that a fourth choice of "usually" would be a good idea in addition to the "sometimes" choice. For example, I usually (9 in 10 times) dress my tires after cleaning. I sometimes (1 in 10 times) use glass cleaner on the windows. Oh well, no big deal! :xyxthumbs

Sorry about that thehazzguy, I guess I didn't understand what you meant?

With 61 people now having voted, I don't think it would be valid, or fair to change the poll now. It is pretty clear from the votes that are in what most people prefer to do when it comes to cleaning and dressing their tires.

Thanks for you suggestion early on however, I do appreciate your input.

Mike

Mike Phillips
Dec 8th, 2004, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by scrub
Mike, where's this going??

We're trying to get an idea of the percentage of people that dress or treat their tires after they clean them. This poll is to get a feel for what people think?

On a personal note, if you look at the polls in this forum, this is an opportunity for our members to directly give their input, ideas, suggestions, comments, even complaints directly to Meguiar's.

I can assure you, there are people here at Meguiar's that are reading with interest what you have to say. I hope you will all agree this is a good thing!

:xyxthumbs :xyxthumbs :xyxthumbs

If you're reading this now and haven't voted in the four different polls in this forum, or if you have voted but have a comment you would like to add to the thread, then I encourage you to do so.

You have our ear!

Thanks,

Mike

scrub
Dec 8th, 2004, 04:20 PM
We're trying to get an idea of the percentage of people that dress or treat their tires after they clean them. This poll is to get a feel for what people think?

On a personal note, if you look at the polls in this forum, this is an opportunity for our members to directly give their input, ideas, suggestions, comments, even complaints directly to Meguiar's.

I can assure you, there are people here at Meguiar's that are reading with interest what you have to say. I hope you will all agree this is a good thing!

:xyxthumbs :xyxthumbs :xyxthumbs

If you're reading this now and haven't voted in the four different polls in this forum, or if you have voted but have a comment you would like to add to the thread, then I encourage you to do so.

You have our ear!

Thanks,

Mike

That's what I was wanting to hear... A company that will listen to the needs of its customers. Thanks!

Marc08EX
Dec 9th, 2004, 05:40 AM
I always wash my wheels/tires when washing the car but seldom apply a dressing on it because it's so oily and it's hard to clean the next time.. I hate oily surfaces that the Endurance gives... I usually apply dressing when I have just detailed the car or waxed it to complete the look.. I guess now that the hyper dressing would be a remedy to this one! :D

Aurora40
Dec 9th, 2004, 10:10 AM
Well, Meguiar's already makes about 7 products in the pro and consumer line (not including the detailer) that can be used to dress tires.

My guess? Either they are looking to scale it down, or they are looking at some kind of cleaner/dressing all-in-one type thing... :)

Bill D
Dec 9th, 2004, 10:44 AM
On --my-- car I will ALWAYS dress not only the fronts but the --backs-- of the tires as well :D I also always clean with a dedicated tire cleaner when the need arises.

If you consider launching a new cleaner and a new dressing I'd high recommend getting some input from the tire manufacturers as well. If they recommend certain ingredients use them only.

This tends to be an area I'm overly concerned about :o ;)

Aurora40
Dec 11th, 2004, 08:56 AM
Heheh, tires are one I'm *least* concerned about in that regard. My paint, rubber trim, etc, I want to last the life of the car. Tires? Nah, they are gone in a few years anyways. Even on a low-mileage car, tires don't stay safe after too many years anyways. I'd be worried about 10 year old tires, even with minimal wear on them. :)

Of course that's not to say I want to just put cheap **** on my tires. And many products I use aren't tire-specific anyway, so of course I want them to be safe on rubber and vinyl. And I've seen tires where the sidewalls got all crumbly from cheap dressings, and of course I care, just not as much as I care about the more permanent parts of the car. :) :wavey

Fr0zen
Dec 11th, 2004, 10:08 AM
Mike What is in that bucket. ? I really like the way it suds.

Bill D
Dec 12th, 2004, 01:03 PM
On the one car in particular I would like my tires to last as long as possible because they are exact OE as original in 1989 and they are no longer made. They must have stopped production sometime after 1999 when I was fortunate enough to get them. On a Sunday driver where each mile is driven with extreme care ,a product for tires as I described is important to me.

Mike Phillips
Dec 13th, 2004, 05:54 AM
Originally posted by Fr0zen
Mike What is in that bucket. ? I really like the way it suds.

That would be NXT Car Wash!

Mike

Bill D
Dec 13th, 2004, 09:31 AM
BTW, I'm finding NXT wash more and more easy to find. Sorta makes me smile to be able to stand next to a full shelf's slot's full in Wal Mart the other day. Keep up the good work Meguiars :xyxthumbs

RamAirV1
Dec 13th, 2004, 04:17 PM
My Wal-Mart has NEVER stocked any NXT products. They must think people in central IN are too cheap to buy higher end car care products!

RamAirV1

AutoNova
Dec 14th, 2004, 03:33 AM
Meg's wheel brightner is as good a product as A2Z. I dilute it 2:1
and it works great. Hyper-Dressing on the tires which by far outlasts most products in the industry for a medium gloss.:xyxthumbs

electricgreen
Dec 18th, 2004, 09:26 AM
On the Mustang, always, although I wait til we get to a show if that's the destination. For cleaning, Westley's in the can (the foamy one with the scrub brush part on the top), but it's discontinued. I stock piled :D don't know what I'll use when it's gone! For dressing, Meg's gold class (the purple stuff).

Since we just bought a new Baja as our DD, I'll say on this one-almost everytime in the summer (I suspect anyhow, only had it a week today). It's just too cold out to worry about dressing the tires in the winter here, I'm just getting feeling back in my fingers from doing the door jambs with QD an hour ago (we go through a touchless car wash for the main body, but ya gotta do the doorjambs by hand)....brrrr, I hate the cold!

Matt97GT
Dec 23rd, 2004, 11:52 AM
Believe it or not, i use Comet and a scrub brush to clean my tires.

If i'm heading out to a car meet, i'll dress the tires after cleaning them. But normally i just clean them and let it be.

MattN03
Jan 5th, 2005, 06:47 AM
I almost always use Black Magic Tire Wet after using Bleache White. The only time I don't add tire dressing is if it's going to rain in a day or two.

lukester
Mar 13th, 2005, 09:21 AM
Just used the Insane shine tire spray...different but it does look good on a 2-tone Dakota with the white letters,I will see how long it lasts.

SingingSabre
Mar 13th, 2005, 11:14 AM
I like the look of shiny tires, but sometimes I just can't be bothered. That's rare, though. Insane Tire Shine is just too easy to apply. :)

Boss_429
Mar 13th, 2005, 01:03 PM
I always clean and dress my tires at every detail. I was using Meguiar's Extra until I heard it was going away. Currently I'm using Citri-Gel until my stash runs out. When that runs out, I was planning on using APC+ diluted 4 to 1. Of course, that's gone away too. :confused:

For dressing the tires, I usually use a water based product, but sometimes use a gel if I'm in the mood. :D

Mike, is Meguiar's keeping Extra? I really liked the stuff on tires. I wish it was available in gallons. :(

AutoNova
Mar 13th, 2005, 03:52 PM
I am starting to become partial to All Season on tires, it has a nice shine to it. I picked up a 6 pack of 32oz spray bottles with 2 foaming spayers from Sam's (great deal). I put the ASD in a foaming bottle and it applies more evenly and uses less product then just go over it with a tire swipe.

RamAirV1
Mar 13th, 2005, 04:52 PM
The Insane Shine seems to have really good durability. I have not applied it in about a month and there is still some left on the tires, although not as glossy. And we have had a lot of slush, salt etc. on the roads during this time.

I bought another can at Pep Boys. I wish it came in a trigger (non-aerosol) spray version. The trigger spray works better on windy days, almost no overspray.

RamAirV1

RamAirV1
Mar 13th, 2005, 05:02 PM
I was surfing some tire websites today and I noticed that some Goodyear tires have something called "Permablack." It is supposed to maintain that new tire look. It is used in some of their Assurance line of tires.

Has anyone had any experience with this? I wonder how it affects the use of tire cleaners and dressings. Does it make them obsolete?

RamAirV1

AutoNova
Mar 13th, 2005, 05:38 PM
i don't knw but I tried forever black onmy tires and it sucked a waste of money.

thejazzguy
Mar 13th, 2005, 11:44 PM
RamAirV1,

I'm guessing that the Goodyear Permablack is similar to Michelin's Durablack. My current BFGoodrich Traction T/A's tend to turn brown if not dressed, say biweekly. My experience with Michelin X-One's with Durablack was that the sidewalls tended NOT to turn brown. But they were just an unattractive "tire black" with no gloss. These tire additives seem to help prevent browning. But a good cleaning followed by a quality dressing is still needed for both. So the benefit to the Dura/Permablack is minimal.

Mike Phillips
Mar 14th, 2005, 06:14 AM
Originally posted by Boss_429
Mike, is Meguiar's keeping Extra? I really liked the stuff on tires. I wish it was available in gallons. :(

I thought this product was discontinued but I noticed it's still for sale on Meguiar.com

EXTRA All Surface Cleaner (http://www.meguiars.com/store_meguiars/product_detailpage.cfm?sku=G-93&store=meg)

If you get a chance, give this new product a try,

NXT Generation Tire Cleaner (http://www.meguiars.com/newproducts05/nxtproduct_page.cfm?SKU=G-125)

http://www.meguiars.com/newproducts05/images/product_G-125.gif

The foaming bubbles help the product to cling to the tire surface instead of running off the tire giving the product good dwell time to allow the product to work on the surface while giving you time to scrub the tire. A great combination is this new tire cleaner together with Meguiar's new Versa-Angle Tire Brush (http://www.meguiars.com/newproducts05/accessoryproduct_page.cfm?SKU=X-1010).

http://www.meguiars.com/newproducts05/images/product_X-1010.gif

Boss_429
Mar 14th, 2005, 03:11 PM
I thought this product was discontinued but I noticed it's still for sale on Meguiar.com

EXTRA All Surface Cleaner (http://www.meguiars.com/store_meguiars/product_detailpage.cfm?sku=G-93&store=meg)

If you get a chance, give this new product a try,

NXT Generation Tire Cleaner (http://www.meguiars.com/newproducts05/nxtproduct_page.cfm?SKU=G-125)

http://www.meguiars.com/newproducts05/images/product_G-125.gif

The foaming bubbles help the product to cling to the tire surface instead of running off the tire giving the product good dwell time to allow the product to work on the surface while giving you time to scrub the tire.

Mike,

Yep, I was surprised to see the EXTRA still around????????

I'll have to give the NXT Tire Cleaner a try. After trying Citri-Gel, I certainly do like products that "cling" to the tire with some "dwell" time and loosen up the dirt and stuff. They also gives you better control over application of the product which helps minimize removing as much protective coating from the wheels.

AutoNova
Mar 14th, 2005, 05:16 PM
If you can get your hands on Meg's Wheel Brightener it is one of the best wheel cleaners available.

RamAirV1
Mar 14th, 2005, 06:19 PM
I found the Insane Shine and the tire brush locally, but not the tire cleaner.

RamAirV1

Lanevoboi757
Mar 23rd, 2005, 07:58 PM
I too have not seen the tire cleaner in local stores. Oh well, ill be ordering from you guys anyways.:xyxthumbs

Dee
Mar 24th, 2005, 08:17 AM
When washing my cal I always clean my tires with the NXT Car Wash Soap. It works very well, and once I'm finished I use the Meguiar's Hot-Rod Tire spray. This keeps my tires black (w/low gloss) until the next washing.

Bill D
Mar 24th, 2005, 01:11 PM
If Meguiar's is interested in a tire and wheel cleaner ( I assume reserved only for the pro product lineup, but may be not) I think something with a neutral pH --like both Mother's and the new Michelin branded product has, as well as an endorsement by a major tire company ( Michelin Tire and Wheel Cleaner has) are very attractive features. This will communicate a reassuring sense of safety for the consumer interested in selecting such a product.

If it were to be a product in the pro lineup, definitely make it available by the gallon, that would be a big advantage over the the other two above.

rusty bumper
May 23rd, 2005, 12:51 PM
The best tire cleaner I've ever used is the purple alkaline cleaner from Advance Auto. This stuff is very strong, so be careful around uncoated wheels!

With that said, even the purple stuff cleaner is not perfect.

I had to use it several times on some dirty tires, and the dirt was still there to a certain extent. Seemed that every time I would respray the product, a little more dirt would run off.

I've found this to be true even with Citri-Gel, APC+, Extra....Just to name a few that I've tried. I like these products, it's just that tires seem to be the hardest thing to get clean for me.

After applying Natural Shine, Endurance, or Hot Shine in the trigger bottle (My current favorite), the tires look pretty good, with no visible dirt showing.

gregcavi
May 30th, 2005, 01:53 PM
I use APC diluted 10:1 for my wheels.

Greg

RamAirV1
May 30th, 2005, 03:13 PM
I think that a lot of that brown stuff we think is dirt, is actually the anti-ozonants coming to the surface of the tire. It may not even be desirable to remove all of them if it is even possible. Maybe it's better to just clean the tire once and then apply your favorite tire dressing. My favorite is the Insane Shine. I like the high shine look on F-bodies, 'Vettes, and of course GTOs.

RamAirV1

rusty bumper
May 30th, 2005, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by RamAirV1
I think that a lot of that brown stuff we think is dirt, is actually the anti-ozonants coming to the surface of the tire. It may not even be desirable to remove all of them if it is even possible. Maybe it's better to just clean the tire once and then apply your favorite tire dressing. My favorite is the Insane Shine. I like the high shine look on F-bodies, 'Vettes, and of course GTOs.

RamAirV1
Would anti-ozonants look like runny dirt after applying the tire cleaner?

I usually see a lot of runny, dirty looking stuff after 1 or 2 applications of the cleaner.

RamAirV1
May 30th, 2005, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by Rusty Bumper
Would anti-ozonants look like runny dirt after applying the tire cleaner?

I usually see a lot of runny, dirty looking stuff after 1 or 2 applications of the cleaner.

After 1 or 2 applications, it could be. Is the dirt brown? Brake dust and most other road film is black. OTOH I would not expect the anti-ozonants to be runny.

RamAirV1

rusty bumper
May 30th, 2005, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by RamAirV1
Is the dirt brown? Brake dust and most other road film is black. OTOH I would not expect the anti-ozonants to be runny.

RamAirV1
Yes, it's a dark, dirty brown looking.

I don't usually see the runny stuff after the 2nd application or so, unless the tire is really dirty.

Maybe I'm expecting the tire to be too clean.

Bama
Jun 14th, 2005, 04:13 AM
I clean the tires with an old mit or sponge with my car wash, which is usually either Mother's California Gold or Gold Class. If the tires are really dirty, I will use a tire brush. Then I apply GC High Endurance Gel, which is a great tire dressing. I love the wet, high-gloss shine. :coolgleam

TKDDAD
Jul 18th, 2005, 05:04 AM
Originally posted by Bama
I clean the tires with an old mit or sponge with my car wash, which is usually either Mother's California Gold or Gold Class. If the tires are really dirty, I will use a tire brush. Then I apply GC High Endurance Gel, which is a great tire dressing. I love the wet, high-gloss shine. :coolgleam

Bama, have you tried other dressings ?....does the gel product have staying power ?...thanks...

Bama
Jul 19th, 2005, 04:15 AM
Originally posted by TKDDAD
Bama, have you tried other dressings ?....does the gel product have staying power ?...thanks...

I have tried a lot over the years - sprays, foams, gels, etc. I, like many others, like to experiment with different products. I have three different vehicles, and I have different combos for each. Meguiar's tire products are as good as anybody elses if not better. The regular gloss Endurance Tire Gel is probably going to be the product most people choose because you can control the gloss by multiple applications, imo. The high gloss is a little much for most people. Both products last longer than the sprays including Hotshine. However, if you wash weekly, the Hotshine (pump) is a good choice. You get more for your money with a pump than an aerosol. I haven't tried the NXT Insane Shine yet though. Heard good things about it. The Endurance gels work very well, but they can be messy. The gels are more durable than any sprays that I have used. To me the regular gloss Endurance tire gel would be my go to product if I had to choose just one.

Imclean
Nov 18th, 2005, 09:43 AM
Aloha all,
I think it's a cultural thing here in Hawaii (or maybe it's universal, I just dont' get to travel much) but people here like wet looking tires and highly polished wheels. I wanted to think I don't fall into that category but my roots were showing when I thought about what I currently use on my cars. On the Lightning and the STi I use the Insane Shine. On the Miata (when I had it) I used the Hot Shine. On the Pilot (the car that replaced the Miata) I'm planning on using the Endurance Gel since it's more of a "touch less / leave for a while" theme to it and I'm keeping to the low maintenance "mommy" thing there.

ProvLaq
Nov 18th, 2005, 04:47 PM
I use Super Degreaser cut 10:1 on my tires and you can see the dirt roll off the tire.

will20four
Feb 16th, 2006, 07:23 PM
i use bleach white(sp) let it set for a bit then spray a little more and scrub with a brush. after washing the car i use whats left on the tires from the bucket. i then apply the endurance gel with eagle ones tire dressing pad. i think yall should make these type of appliers for the endurance gel. has the spot to apply and is curved to the tire.

i voted always

PaBlkBrd
Mar 4th, 2006, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by will20four
i use bleach white(sp) let it set for a bit then spray a little more and scrub with a brush. after washing the car i use whats left on the tires from the bucket. i then apply the endurance gel with eagle ones tire dressing pad. i think yall should make these type of appliers for the endurance gel. has the spot to apply and is curved to the tire.

i voted always

I use the same exact method on my wheels and tires as you. Seems to well for me also.

Erik Mejia
Apr 9th, 2006, 09:44 AM
Currently I use Endurance to dress the tires, as far as cleaning them I use All Wheel Cleaner(G9524). It's pretty good at removing brake dust from the tires and I don't have to worry about overspray on the wheels as it is safe for them as intended.

Godiva
Apr 13th, 2006, 08:11 AM
Until I owned this car and attended the Meguiar's class I never cleaned the tires. Ever.

Now that I have a tire dressing (several actually) I do the tires every time I wash the car. I'm not sure how long it lasts, but at least the car looks really great right after I wash it. I have no idea if it effects the life of the tires in any way.

35th Anniversary SS
Apr 25th, 2006, 08:42 PM
I try to scrub them each time but find that since I dont put that many miles on my SS I do it everyother. I normally just use a medium brush and the leftover soapy water from washing the car. If you clean them regularly I dont see a real need for a job specific cleaner for tires.

I currently use Gold Class Endurance on my tires and find it to be the absolute best tire shine ever. Ive been using it for years. I was turned onto it years ago after a buddy told me how to avoid the problems that the sprays/foams create when there is any kind of wind present. You know what I mean.. when it gets on the paint you just busted your butt on to make look great. :D I used to hate that!

96greencivic
May 9th, 2006, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by benhui86
i usually just take some dish washing soap and clean my tires then i apply the dressing

I do the same. I use dish detergent to clean the old stuff off, but I also sparingly spray on a little Simple Green to cut any extra leftover grease. Then I let it dry completly before applying a dressing. Although, I only apply dressing every other wash to give the tire a break from dressings.

emaxxman
Jun 14th, 2006, 03:29 PM
I wash the wheels and tires at the same time..bucket of car wash soap and an old sheepskin mitt. I use a brush to hit the tires...just got the Meguiar's tire brush..can't wait to use it.

rqk
Jul 13th, 2006, 03:16 PM
I wash my tires with a tire brush and the left over wash water from washing the wheels. I don't use anything special for cleaning the tires because I don't want anything to take the NXT wax of off the wheels since it makes them much easier to clean.

I spray on a bit of Armor All (don't want too much shine) and use a brush to evenly spread it around the tire. I only use it because I bought so much of it a long, long ... really long time ago (can't believe it hasn't gone bad), and I don't want to just toss it.

rascal
Aug 15th, 2006, 05:55 AM
I usually put Endurance on my tires if I'm about to go out of town. I don't put it on if I'm parking the car b/c the dressing gets on my car cover and when I take the cover off, it rubs up against my paint.

foxhound58
Aug 15th, 2006, 06:50 AM
Voted usually. I scrub with APC when really dirty. If not just the car wash soap that I use is fine with a stiff brush. Then about every third time I use endurance, but if they need spiffed up a little, I will use #40. For customers all the time, unless they live on a dirt or gravel road, or driveway. It is endurance is the longest lasting that I have used so far, but is such a pain, and messy to apply. May have to give no touch another try.

Coupe
Aug 15th, 2006, 07:01 AM
I always dress my tires with Endurance high gloss gel, applied with a paint brush. Every time they get washed they get dressed.

MaximusZTS
Aug 18th, 2006, 02:30 PM
to clean my tires I use to use Armor all tire spray. But now I use Meg's tire shine and an applicator pad.

MDetail
Oct 26th, 2006, 07:23 PM
I usually add a tire dressing after cleaning them with APC. Unless I use some kind of areosol sprayer that cleans and dresses.

Tom Claessens
Oct 27th, 2006, 03:01 AM
I always apply a dressing.

I wash the tires with the soapy solution or APC if they're really dirty and use a dressing afterwards. I tend to wipe the dressing off after a couple of minutes to get a somewhat more natural look on the tires.

astaticwinter
Oct 27th, 2006, 07:37 PM
I usually dress the tires every time I wash, if I have time. Used to use Armor All Extreme shine...switch to Endurance High Glass and I'm much happier. I apply it with a paint brush, gives a little more control vs. tire swipes, plus its more efficient I think, since you don't lose much product absorbing into the swipe.

Tire cleaner, I've been trying NXT Tire Cleaner, but I'm having some trouble getting them clean if they've been dressed in the last few weeks. The cleaner foams when it's sprayed onto the tire, but just sorta hangs there for a second and dissapates quickly...it doesn't cling and break down the dressing or any dirt, and I have to do two or three applications to get anything clean enough to re-dress. Almost went through a whole can of it so far, only cleaned the tires twice.

Any recomendations on a tire cleaner that can get dressing off too? I use the Versa Angle Tire Brush which I love, but even with the brush I can't get the NXT to get through it. I was wondering about APC, APC+, and Super Degreaser...any suggestions?

chessplayer
Jan 12th, 2007, 01:48 AM
80 percent of the time i clean my tires.i use car wash and the meguiars tire brush then tire and rubber dressing

sixty7mustang22
Feb 2nd, 2007, 11:34 AM
I always dress after a wash.:dp:

Thejoyofdriving
Apr 10th, 2007, 09:33 AM
I didnt vote because I sometimes do, and there is no option for sometimes, i think a option for sometimes should be added.

Mike Phillips
Apr 10th, 2007, 09:56 AM
I didnt vote because I sometimes do, and there is no option for sometimes, i think a option for sometimes should be added.

Good idea, now you can vote... we added "sometimes" to the options.

Thejoyofdriving
Apr 10th, 2007, 10:36 AM
Thank you Mike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bow:D:):)

acsuppa
Apr 10th, 2007, 03:28 PM
I also use the car wash that I use, Gold class then I follow up with a dressing. I picked up a few cans of NXT tire spray cleaner but wasn't too thrilled with it. It kind of reminds me of glass cleaner.? I guess I just like car wash better.

finz
Apr 11th, 2007, 08:10 AM
I have used many of the products that have been talked about in this thread with good results. My father is a long-time user of bleach-white. IMO it works well to bring back the nice black natural look of tires but not worth using around high-end rims. For the most part my tires dont get real dirty, other than picking up dust and road grime. So I just buff them off with a clean cloth and then dress them. When they do need a cleaning, I use a very diluted mix of Super-Clean. Works extremely well. The reaason why I don't use it all the time because I have some reservation about its ability to dry out the rubber or possible cause damage to other surfaces.

Datsunscott
Aug 30th, 2008, 05:04 PM
I have used Bleach-white for whitewalls and blackwalls.
Also tried 409, and dishwashing detergent with a brush.
I don't really see a difference when done.

To finish I use armorall cut about 25% with water.
I wet thouroughly, going around the car doing each tire.
Second time around I wet again, then wipe off excess with part of an old towel to get off excess and shiny stuff.

The tires have a nice black satin sheen and look new when done.

PS- I hate the thick shiny sticky stuff on tires.
To me it looks stupid and it is dirty too!

Datsunscott:dp:

Nappers
Aug 31st, 2008, 03:59 AM
I use (ahem) Eagle One All tire/wheel cleaner for just the tires, it seems to foam up and dissolve the dressing immediately for a fresh coat.

PaBlkBrd
Aug 31st, 2008, 03:11 PM
After cleaning my Vogue whitewalls with Bleche-wite, I use a non Meguiar dressing on the whitewall and Hyper Dressing on the rest of the tire.......Works Great!

Gonzster
Jan 9th, 2009, 09:47 PM
Hmm, I haven't really made a habit of cleaning them other than with a damp paper towel. Yes, I know that is major FAIL but it works, well, ok I guess...

Now that I have wash mitts that have aged I will probably start using them as my grubby tire cleaners. As far as cleaning them and applying dressing right away, I rarely do that.

I find it a PITA to dry tires which is why I usually wipe the tires down and apply dressing before I wash the cars so I won't have to wait until the next day to do it.

In addition in my case that allows me to wash my wheels off after I have applied dressing. This is more of a habit left over from when I used to use the spray foams which would inevitably overspray or run onto my wheels. Since they are white wheels they would grab grime like crazy even if I did wash them afterwards. Just drove a few miles and bam they were pretty gross looking, and only after using foams too. Didn't matter which brand.

Now that I have graduated to the Gold Class Gel stuff, that is not so much a problem. I bought one of those nice foam tire dressing applicators. Works well on my smooth looking Neogens. On my old Kuhmos that had that "ribbed" texture on the sidewalls that I hate, using a foam made it easier to get into the "cracks" if you will. My mom's stock tires also have that texture so it takes more work to work the gel in uniformly. Well that and they are 255/55 as opposed to my 225/45's :p.

Still, I love the gel now that I have it since it doesn't run. I have to use it sparingly though since I prefer a slightly more natural look. Our local Porsche dealer slathers that stuff on so thick it looks like the cars are rolling on glazed donuts.

Tuck91
Mar 19th, 2009, 04:02 PM
95% percent of the time i dress my tires after cleaning them. If i am in a hurry i use NXT Insane Tire Shine Spray( trigger) or Hot Shine Tire Spray ( aerosol or foam). If i am taking my time and not in a hurry i apply a nice coat of GC Endurance High Gloss. But if something comes up and i need to drive somewhere or take care of something then i just let them be and end up not dressing them. I think dressing your tires just completes the overall "just detailed look"

Alex C.
May 12th, 2009, 01:53 PM
I think dressing your tires just completes the overall "just detailed look"

I agree. It's all or nothing for me. Even my wheel wells get dressed when my tires do.

Oh yeah, i voted "always".

cardriver
Jun 9th, 2009, 12:44 PM
I wash 3x/month.
One time, I'll wash the tires with APC and dress with 4:1 Hyper Dressing.
The next time, I'll use Bleche-Wite, then dress with HD.
Then I go back to APC & HD.
Next week, Bleche-Wite, HD...repeat. You see the pattern :D.

I would use Bleche-Wite every wash, except that I go through it fairly fast, and want to prolong its usage; plus APC 4:1 is a suitable alternative for the times that I don't use Bleche-Wite.

I love the matted, satin look of HD on the tires. For me, there's no reason to clean a tire and let it go unprotected. Unless of course, I used some super-glossy, long-lasting gel goo on the tires and it ages well, in which case I might clean the tires with APC and just let them be as long as that matted "sheen" still remains. Hope that all makes sense.

Eddie6th
Jun 14th, 2009, 02:24 PM
I dress the tyres every time I wash the car,which includes tyres,if neccessary.

Calais
Jul 3rd, 2009, 01:08 PM
I used to use Purple Power to clean my tires, but now I use Bleche-White. When I run out/make my ADS order I will probably switch to APC. I usually wait to apply dressing when I get to a car show that way I don't sling, I give the product enough time to absorb/dry and it has a nice shine during the car show.

akimel
Sep 10th, 2009, 07:49 AM
My methods have evolved. I am more aware of how my tires look now than I was a year ago. Once every four to six weeks, I will clean the tires well using Eimann Fabric tire cleaner and my versa-angle brush. I will then dress the tires with a dressing. On the CR-V, I have been using Hot Shine tire gel. My wife prefers a high gloss look. I am presently not a big fan of the gel, but I have a bottle of the stuff and I want to use it up. I find the gel more time-consuming than other dressings I have used. On the S2000 I have been using Mother's Reflections Tire Care, which is a low-gloss, water-based dressing. It's very easy to apply, and I like the look. I just recently purchased a bottle of the Tropi-Care tire dressing, which I will try out on the S2000 the next time I dress the tires.

I do not dress the tires every time I wash the car. I will usually give the tires a couple of swipes with the versa-angle brush and car shampoo, but I do not work the brush hard. I suppose the dressing would last longer if I didn't touch the tires at all, but I prefer to remove the loose dirt and grime. It's a compromise. When the dressing appears to have disappeared and I see the brown returning, I will then do another full cleaning and dressing. So I voted "sometimes" in the poll.

Any suggestions?

Tuck91
Sep 10th, 2009, 06:51 PM
My methods have evolved. I am more aware of how my tires look now than I was a year ago. Once every four to six weeks, I will clean the tires well using Eimann Fabric tire cleaner and my versa-angle brush. I will then dress the tires with a dressing. On the CR-V, I have been using Hot Shine tire gel. My wife prefers a high gloss look. I am presently not a big fan of the gel, but I have a bottle of the stuff and I want to use it up. I find the gel more time-consuming than other dressings I have used. On the S2000 I have been using Mother's Reflections Tire Care, which is a low-gloss, water-based dressing. It's very easy to apply, and I like the look. I just recently purchased a bottle of the Tropi-Care tire dressing, which I will try out on the S2000 the next time I dress the tires.

I do not dress the tires every time I wash the car. I will usually give the tires a couple of swipes with the versa-angle brush and car shampoo, but I do not work the brush hard. I suppose the dressing would last longer if I didn't touch the tires at all, but I prefer to remove the loose dirt and grime. It's a compromise. When the dressing appears to have disappeared and I see the brown returning, I will then do another full cleaning and dressing. So I voted "sometimes" in the poll.

Any suggestions?

I think you would like M40 on tires.

Ever try it on tires?

cardriver
Sep 10th, 2009, 08:40 PM
"Usually" in my case.

If I'm thoroughly cleaning my car, or especially a client's car, then yes, dressing always goes on.

And when it comes to my own vehicle...when I wash the tires with APC or Bleche-Wite, then dressing goes on.

But if I'm washing my car with simple car wash soap in a routine wash (just to make my wheels & tires look tidy), then I don't apply dressing because the dressing is usually unaffected (and remains) because of the gentle nature of NXT & Gold Class Wash liquids.

thomas_ccc
Nov 16th, 2009, 04:37 AM
I wonder if you can add another choice in this poll ---> "very rare". Or maybe I should just vote on "never".

Since I use my car for auto-x, and oftentimes using the tire dressing will cause the tires to lose traction around corners (at the initial turn-in) because of the tire dressing on the tire shoulder. So I don't usually use tire dressing. I only use tire dressing if there is a long break between events.

Also, I used to use the Eagle A to Z wheel cleaner for cleaning the wheels and tires (with brush to agitate). Now I'm using NXT car wash to clean the wheels as well as the tires.

I worry about this issue, too, as I like to go somewhat fast through corners. As I am sure, it probably says on the bottle that you are not supposed to get any of the product on the tread of the tire, yet people always do the shoulders, too. The part of it where there's already a bit of tread that is.

The problem I see with this is that you only ever use parts of the tread in quick corners. The only time you will actually wear down the applied film is when you already need the grip the most, meaning you can't "drive carefully for a while" before you go fast again.

You guys do some of the most amazing quality work when it comes to properly taking care of a car, however, I would assume you care about tire performance, too.
Is there something you do to get the film of the tread or do you just live with the decreased performance?

The best idea I have come across to solve this problem came from the user "The Doctor detailer"; he simply uses a paint brush to apply the gel. I suppose using this method one will be able to avoid getting the gel on unwanted areas.

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/4482/tiregel.jpg

I would be interested in everyone else's thoughts on the subject.

You can find the guy's tutorial here: meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13424

Take care
Thomas

roushstage2
Jan 28th, 2010, 02:23 PM
I don't ever have an issue. Of course, I take care not to get any dressing on the actual contact patch of the tire. I mean, when you drive a bit, aggressively or not, the dressing will wear off of anywhere that comes in contact with the ground, obviously. Yeah, if you just start spraying like crazy, you'll most likely have an immediate problem.

BobbyG
Apr 3rd, 2010, 03:15 AM
Meguiar's Ultimate Protectant!

Bill Davidson
Jun 20th, 2010, 10:11 PM
It depends on which vehicle I am detailing. My motorcycle tires never get dressing. My Camaro tires always get dressing, my truck tires sometimes get dressing.

imz4n
Aug 29th, 2012, 03:50 PM
I wash the tires when I wash the rims ( no special cleaner ). Then if needed I will apply Meguiar's tire and trim gel (D163). I like this because it last for many washings and has a matte finish ( I do not much care for shinny tires ), I do like shinny rims. IMHO the only things that should be shinny is paint, chrome and glass, every thing else should be matte.

SpoolMe
Apr 12th, 2013, 09:27 AM
I do but its costing me a fortune so im going to try using a dressing

Detailing by M
Apr 12th, 2013, 02:39 PM
cleaning tires cost you a fortune? what are you using?

kiwiatlarge
Apr 12th, 2013, 03:16 PM
Depends on the car and circumstances..

My Daily Driver - If I'm doing one of it's 3 or 4 times a year 'details', then yes, I'll use probably a foam product... otherwise for weekly washes, no..
Her Daily/Our Weekend V8 - If we are going to a club event, especially if there is a display, then yes I'll do the full on treatment... otherwise weekly, who am I kidding... I still can't help but want her looking good (even if she is going to work the next day) and I'll usually use a foam product..

SpoolMe
Apr 13th, 2013, 09:56 AM
cleaning tires cost you a fortune? what are you using?

The shine is whats killing me. I use half a bottle of the spray every car wash, it just sprays too much i think.

Detailing by M
Apr 13th, 2013, 11:43 AM
ok, still not clear on what you doing. You say "the shine" is costing you a fortune.
What is "shine"?

SpoolMe
Apr 13th, 2013, 04:24 PM
ok, still not clear on what you doing. You say "the shine" is costing you a fortune.
What is "shine"?

http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/product_detail.do?q=4839