PDA

View Full Version : is this a porter cable?

01SOMSS!
Mar 19th, 2010, 08:06 PM
i got i think is a porter cable from my brother.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j161/wickedheritage/100_3070.jpg
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j161/wickedheritage/100_3069.jpg

Now can you educate me on using one
How often do i use it on the car?
what speed?
What type of bonnet should i use on it?
How do i use it to remove scratches and swirl marks?
what products so i use for the previouse Q?
thanks guys!

Clutch34
Mar 19th, 2010, 08:29 PM
I believe what you have there is a rotary buffer. A porter cable is a dual-action buffer -- easier and safer to use for a beginner. But don't worry, with proper technique, even beginners can do a decent job with rotaries! Just wait for others to chime in, I don't have any experience with rotaries so I can't tell ya any tips lol

Fly Bye
Mar 19th, 2010, 08:48 PM
That pad has seen better days.

Lasthope05
Mar 19th, 2010, 09:18 PM
That is not a porter cable polisher. It is in fact a cheap harbor freight one. A rotary polisher like this one is not recommended for people new to polishing to use. I would set this aside and picked up used DA polisher like a porter cable 7424 XP, Meguiars G110v2, or Griots ROP.

But to answer your questions.

How often do i use it on the car?
This is a paint dependent question that can not be specifically answered. The amount of times you can use it depends upon the paint thickness(need a PTG or Paint thickness Gauge), types of pads used, and types of polishes used.

what speed?
This is all dependent upon the products used and what they call for but a general RPM for correction work is 1400-1800RPM. There are also special techniques like the Zenith technique, KBM, and burnishing/jeweling.

What type of bonnet should i use on it?
You dont use bonnets on a rotary polisher. That is reserved for traditional orbital buffers and DA polishers. For a good and easy starting basis for pads look at meguairs offerings.

How do i use it to remove scratches and swirl marks?
Again this is not a polisher for people with no previous knowledge in paint correction so if you have to ask this question you are not ready for a rotary polisher.

what products so i use for the previouse Q?
A very popular meguiars combination right now is M105/M205 but many other products work exceptionally well and product fantastic results. D151 is a great product to use as 1 Step AIO product or you can use it for multi stages almost like Meguiars M86 solo. I still love using the old 80 series products too(m80, m82, m83.)

I believe what you have there is a rotary buffer. A porter cable is a dual-action buffer -- easier and safer to use for a beginner. But don't worry, with proper technique, even beginners can do a decent job with rotaries! Just wait for others to chime in, I don't have any experience with rotaries so I can't tell ya any tips lol

What he has is a rotary polisher but a porter cable is not necessary a dual-action polisher either. Porter cable is just a brand like meguiars. Porter cable makes saws, power tools, sanders, comoressors,..etc.

Clutch34
Mar 19th, 2010, 11:14 PM
What he has is a rotary polisher but a porter cable is not necessary a dual-action polisher either. Porter cable is just a brand like meguiars. Porter cable makes saws, power tools, sanders, comoressors,..etc.

Gotcha! Thanks for the info! :)

ClearlyCoated
Mar 19th, 2010, 11:31 PM
What he has is a rotary polisher but a porter cable is not necessary a dual-action polisher either. Porter cable is just a brand like meguiars. Porter cable makes saws, power tools, sanders, comoressors,..etc.Exactly. Porter Cable makes a DA (7424XP)

http://media.ptg-online.com/media/pc/Products/Tools/ExtraLarge/20021101200000_7424_72dpi_500.jpg

and a rotary (7428)

http://media.ptg-online.com/media/pc/Products/Tools/ExtraLarge/20021101200000_7428_72dpi_500.jpg

J. A. Michaels
Mar 20th, 2010, 01:55 AM
Harbor Freight, inexpensive rotary. Good for the weekend warrior. Would not recommend use by a pro.

01SOMSS!
Mar 20th, 2010, 09:06 PM
i see thanks guys.