PDA

View Full Version : Does Last Touch contain silicones?

geert dr
May 19th, 2010, 10:03 AM
Is it true that Last Touch contains silicone's ?

geert dr
May 19th, 2010, 12:54 PM
Nobody knows if this is true ?

Ryan_Bihun89
May 19th, 2010, 02:15 PM
i dont think so. Its just a product to maintainance and remove dust from a car.

Murr1525
May 19th, 2010, 04:14 PM
Probably does, but that is a pretty big category. Lots of different kinds.

Shawn T.
May 19th, 2010, 04:44 PM
I think that it may as it is not body shop safe. I know that silicone should be no where near a paint booth as it could cause fisheyes in the paint; if I heard properly. For regular application I do not think it makes a difference.

J. A. Michaels
May 19th, 2010, 05:05 PM
Since it is not body shop safe it might. However the msds state that it has a unique blend of polymer and lubricating agents.

Michael Stoops
May 20th, 2010, 07:52 AM
If you're in a body shop environment you will want to avoid this product. Otherwise, there's nothing in it that can cause any sort of issues for you.

cnfowler
May 20th, 2010, 08:42 AM
Michael, does that mean it contains silicone?

Colin

geert dr
May 20th, 2010, 09:17 AM
If you're in a body shop environment you will want to avoid this product. Otherwise, there's nothing in it that can cause any sort of issues for you.

So it does contain silicone's ,if i understand correctly ?

Markus Kleis
May 20th, 2010, 09:22 AM
So it does contain silicone's ,if i understand correctly ?

Just curious, why are you trying to find out?

Is there a type of silicone you are trying to avoid?

geert dr
May 20th, 2010, 10:49 AM
Just curious, why are you trying to find out?

Is there a type of silicone you are trying to avoid?

Hello Mark ,

the reason why i would like to know is the following : someone ( a pro-detailer) on a detailingforum over here in Belgium ,states that Last Touch leaves a greasy film on the paint after claying ,because of the silicones in Last Touch :confused:

Something i have never experienced!

He also states that before polishing,you have to remove that film by using a cleaner ,or it will affect the result of the polishingstage in a negative way.

Also something i have never experienced !

I decided to do a test on the hood of my Alfa .

- washed with NXTshampoo & washmitt
- clayed with consumerclay & Last Touch
- dryed with watermagnet
- cleaned half of the hood with IPA ,left the other half untouched
- then polished with the rotary & m83 & polishingpad (Meguiars w8007)
- then finished with DA & m80 & w8007.
- after polishing i cleaned the entire hood with IPA to remove all polishingoils from the paint so i could evaluate the result and see the true state of the paint.

I could not see any difference ,both sides of the hood were clean,shiny,smooth even under halogenlighting (brinckman) and in direct sunlight !

Murr1525
May 20th, 2010, 11:06 AM
Probably just had a film from not removing it all when claying. You tend to use more of the spray when claying then when just dusting.

It is also recomended to be diluted 1:1 for claying, which would help with that.

cnfowler
May 20th, 2010, 11:14 AM
I use Last Touch exclusively and have never noticed any film or streaking. Probably another myth that starts to spread like wildfire.

Colin

geert dr
May 20th, 2010, 11:33 AM
I use Last Touch exclusively and have never noticed any film or streaking. Probably another myth that starts to spread like wildfire.

Colin

Exactly what i was thinking,thats why i decided to do the test on my car !
The sad thing is that people believe him without seeing it for themselves just because he is a pro-detailer !

Michael Stoops
May 20th, 2010, 11:38 AM
Got pulled away for a while there guys, sorry.

Yes, there is indeed some silicone in Last Touch, but in the overall scheme of things it shouldn't be an issue at all.

Colin, the issue described by the poster in the forum that geert dr mentions may very well have been experiencing some rare issue, and not necessarily spreading a myth. There are rare cases where anything with silicone in it can have some impact on the buffing cycle, but it is extremely rare. Since a mist & wipe product isn't really bonding to the surface like a wax does, and most waxes contain at least a little silicone as well, it should all come off quite easily. Interestingly enough, a couple of years ago we had a regular attendee at our Thursday Night Open Garages observing a weird film on the surface of his non metallic black car. You could literally leave streaks in the finish with your fingertips, and 15 minutes later the streaks were gone, as if they'd been filled in or something. It seemed that almost any mist & wipe product he tried was exhibiting this exact same phenomenon. It did, however, come off very easily even with just Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner.

Sometimes we just see paint respond in weird ways, but just because something is a problem for one person (or even just a perceived problem) doesn't mean it's going to be a problem for another. geert dr's test would seem to prove this since he noticed no difference at all between the different sides of his hood. So on his car, with the products he uses, it's a non issue. Why this other person would have the problem he did is hard to say, however, since virtually any typical clay lube (quick detailers, mostly) are going to have some silicone in them. With the exception of M34 Final Inspection, all of ours do.

What is a potential issue, however, is products with very durable polymers. Sometimes trying to get those fully off the surface can be a bit of a task in itself. Sure, you can eventually get through them with a machine applied paint cleaner, but until they're gone you might think your paint cleaner isn't working all that great. How "durable" are some of these durable polymers? Enough so that even some wet sanding processes won't get through them immediately. Crazy as that sounds, our new sanding and finishing discs are essentially a slurry bonded to the disc, with a protective layer (induction layer) on the surface to protect the slurry prior to use. When first putting these discs on the paint it takes a couple of strokes to get through that induction layer and start cutting. With a serious coat of durable polymer present on the paint, the induction layer just doesn't want to break down and the sanding discs look like they're doing almost nothing at all. Sanding discs!!! Silicone can slow down that process too, but not to the degree that durable polymers will. Even so, it's almost crazy to think that you can slow down the effect of sanding with these ingredients, but you can.

Still, for the vast majority of cases, you shouldn't have any real issues using a mist & wipe product that contains some silicone. As mentioned earlier, the silicone content is fairly low and the product isn't bonding to the surface like a wax or sealant.

geert dr
May 20th, 2010, 01:46 PM
Thank you very much for clearing this issue up Mr Stoops :xyxthumbs:xyxthumbs

I have never experienced any problems with Last Touch and i have already detailed about 30cars (complete with paintcorrection).

The detailer i mentioned in my openingpost states that he has that problem with every car he clayed with Last Touch ,this leads me to the conviction that there is something wrong with his technique or perhaps he's using Last Touch undiluted while claying !

Markus Kleis
May 20th, 2010, 02:20 PM
I use Last Touch 50/50 exclusively as my clay lube and clay every car before I polish. Never had issues myself... :dunno

I even use 50/50 LT extensively while compounding and polishing as a lubricating agent while removing polish or compound.

J. A. Michaels
May 20th, 2010, 02:35 PM
This is the first time to m recollection anyone remotely having a issue with last touch. I use it exclusively on my wife's car. Also for a clay lube. never experienced any troubles at all.

Joenok
May 23rd, 2010, 03:13 PM
I`m also using Last Touch excl. -only issue I`ve had is when I`ve used it in cold temperatures, it then takes a little more time to "de-haze" -but then again, so do most products.
It`s my go-to product for mist&wipe as well as lube and padspritzing

Batmobile
May 23rd, 2010, 07:36 PM
I had a problem with my 1:1 Last Touch, when I sprayed on a dusty CRV.. it leaves blur film or not dry.. The temperature was about 20 degrees Celcius, and it was in the morning with cool panel.. But It happened only once..

Several times I got almost the same problem with a bit film on the paint, but it went off when I park my car under the sun for a while until it got warmed...

Larry A
Aug 25th, 2011, 06:20 AM
There are some sort of silicones in every paint care products. Anything that is a polymer has silicone in it ie. Amino-Fuctional- SILICONE. Maybe there are a few paste waxes that are silicone free.

Fallz
Aug 25th, 2011, 04:37 PM
How does "last touch" differ from #34 "final inspection ?

I thought they were both QD's or in the QD family .

Michael Stoops
Aug 26th, 2011, 09:27 AM
How does "last touch" differ from #34 "final inspection ?

I thought they were both QD's or in the QD family .

While both are mist and wipe QD products and both can be used as clay lubes, Last Touch should be diluted 1:1 with water when used as a lube (use it straight for routine QD wipe downs) but it is not a body shop safe product. Final Inspection is the only body shop safe mist & wipe product we make, so if you're in an environment where you're spraying paint, that's the only product in this category you should be using. Last Touch will add a bit more gloss to the finish, too, whereas Final Inspection won't.

Fallz
Aug 27th, 2011, 05:52 AM
ok , Thank you Michael .

Barryforever
Aug 10th, 2012, 04:48 PM
I have a black 5.0 when I use LT spray I have had streaking, when I use final inspection it dries clean ? go figure