PDA

View Full Version : "brushed aluminum" plastic interior pieces?

electricgreen
Jan 1st, 2005, 03:57 AM
My Baja has some "brushed aluminum" looking plastic pieces, I'm wondering what to use to clean them up. Typical trim cleaners seem to leave a film, since these pieces don't absorb like regular dash plastic would....

Lynn Matthews
Jan 1st, 2005, 06:59 AM
This month you will be able to order Meguiar's New Quick Interrior Detailer Mist & Wipe. (http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3475) :bounce

"The fastest way to clean, shine and protect all interior surfaces, Meguiar’s Quik Detailer Interior maintains the look and feel of interior plastic, vinyl, leather, rubber, metal and Audio/Video equipment. The safe, high lubricity formula lifts off dirt, grime, spills, and fingerprints without build up. Nano chemistry offers the maximum UVA/UVB protection which helps prevent fading and cracking."

G13616 16 oz Spray
Suggested retail price $4.99

http://www.showcarshine.com/product_files/G13616.jpg

Jeff Burrows
Jan 16th, 2005, 01:51 PM
Until the interior cleaner comes out from meguiars I like to use a microfiber and some water with a pinch of vinegar. You can use the Meguiars metal polish but apply it evenly so It dosen't streak. This is a harder surface to clean so give it a lot of time.
jeff

Tim Lingor
Jan 16th, 2005, 05:16 PM
Hey,

Do you have a photo so we can see what the trim looks like?

If it is plastic with the look of brushed aluminum, I assume that it has a smooth plastic looking surface. If so, I would suggest you use Meguiar's PlastX. Since it is not metal, I would advise against using a metal polish. Instead, take some PlastX on a quality MF towel. Really work it into the surface until the light blue color product turns almost clear. Then remove with another quality MF towel.

Please keep us posted!! :)

Tim

electricgreen
Jan 16th, 2005, 07:27 PM
It looks basically like this, although my wheel is one color..

http://thump.net/2242/subaru/03_baja/13.jpg

Tim Lingor
Jan 16th, 2005, 08:22 PM
Hey,

Thanks for the picture! :)

That trim does look like the plastic trim that resembles brushed aluminum. When you get close to it, does it feel smooth or can you feel the brush marks. I would bet it is smooth. If so, I would still use the PlastX as I mentioned in the previous post. :)

Cheers!

Tim

Jeff Burrows
Jan 16th, 2005, 08:32 PM
Tim I did it on the real metal not the plastic. I dont have any pictures because it was on a customers car!
Jeff

Tim Lingor
Jan 16th, 2005, 10:47 PM
Hi Jeff,

I am sure your job turned out just fine. :) We just have to be careful as some trim is actually metal and some is plastic. Some trim is so close that it is really hard to tell the difference! :)

Tim

electricgreen
Jan 17th, 2005, 07:07 PM
This is definately plastic. It feels smooth. I tried the interior QD, which works good for taking of surface dirt. There are some spots on it that I can't tell if they are discolorations that I can't fix, or if they might come off....It's hard being obessive with the DD. The show car is much easier to keep clean & pretty! I've got the floor mats hanging off my dining room chairs to dry right now, I hate wet floors!!:rolleyes:

Tim Lingor
Jan 17th, 2005, 08:36 PM
Hey electricgreen

Try the PlastX. I have a feeling you will like the results!! :xyxthumbs

Tim