PDA

View Full Version : How to use PC where metal rolls and cups

Honeyshucks
Jan 1st, 2005, 06:01 PM
Do you lighten pressure and roll with the flow of the body lines or polish these areas by hand with the machine product? My Ford SD hood has a drop off aprox 35% before leveling out to meet the fender. Also the wheel wells flare out. Now the roof is a real problem with raised ridges every 6" apart. Multiple areas are too narrow to machine polish.

The instructions for using a PC are to keep the pad flat while polishing. How do you do that?

:wall:

Mike Phillips
Jan 1st, 2005, 06:14 PM
Hi Honeyshucks,

Welcome to Meguiar's Online! :welcome

Originally posted by Honeyshucks
The instructions for using a PC are to keep the pad flat while polishing. How do you do that?

:wall:

There are places that you cannot always hold the pad flat against the finish, for places like these you must either only use the edge, tilt the polisher, (or a combination of both), or polish these areas by hand.

Mike

Tim Lingor
Jan 1st, 2005, 07:13 PM
Hey,

Owning a Ford SD myself, I understand your situation completely. But as Mike points out, sometimes you do what you have to do. In time, you will develop a feel and technique for dealing with irregular surfaces.

Here is my truck from a detail I completed a week ago

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/6600_IMG_3028c.jpg

Cheers!

Tim

Honeyshucks
Jan 2nd, 2005, 04:32 AM
Thanks fellows. 2hotford, amazing you posted your truck picture!
We have the indentical same color truck.

This will be my first with a power machine. Reading and learning, waiting on supplies to arrive. All tips are appreciated, before heading out to the bullpen.