PDA

View Full Version : The "best" wax?

Expertcarpetcare
May 27th, 2010, 01:49 PM
I know this isn't meguiars, but when you come across a wax that is $1300 a can, you have to wonder... Who would buy this for their car, and why?
What makes this so much better than regular wax?

Is it because it is from Brazil?
Is Brazillain Carnauba better? Why?

http://www.rscarcare.com/Swissvax-Crystal-Rock.html

Tuck91
May 27th, 2010, 01:57 PM
So people can say their wax cost $1300.

akimel
May 27th, 2010, 02:18 PM
I recently purchased Zymol Royale for a measly $8,416. It makes my car look better than ever other car in the known and unknown universe. I don't need to polish my car. I don't even need to wash my car. All I need to do is to apply a coat of Royale and my car is better than yours ... indeed, not only is it better than yours but it's better than everybody's car. And because my car is better than everybody's car (or should it be plural, "cars"?), and because my car is an extension of my self; therefore, I am better than each of you.

Please don't feel too bad. It's just the way the universe has worked things out.

I feel so good now. And you feel so bad. Give up. It doesn't matter how often you wax your cars, friends--my car will always look better than yours and therefore I will will always be better than you. I am Royale!

:)

Lasthope05
May 27th, 2010, 02:32 PM
High priced waxes have a prestige and a exotic factor to them just like cars do.

Its the same for people who own a Ferrari or any exotic car for that matter. Why would one pay a half a million for a car when a $30,000 car will suffice? That is the similar type of question you're asking.

JaguarXj6L
May 27th, 2010, 02:48 PM
Al- You've spent under 85 hundred dollars to wax a Honda? Yeah, I've seen the magical element of using waxes that cost more than most peoples cars, and I'll say that you're mad. At that price you could pay to have your car repainted several times, and get by with a cheaper Carnauba wax. *Edit - Violation of rules 1. No personal attacks toward members or non-members will be tolerated. and 3. You are welcome to disagree but you must be polite.
Last- people pay hundreds of thousands of dollars for the exclusivity of owning a more exotic car. Yes, a $30,000 will suffice, but if you've got the money, then go for it. Buy the Aston, and wax it with $8,500 wax.

ExpertPetCare- Yes, the really expensive wax is better because it has more Carnauba in it, while something like Meguiars does have some Carnauba, and may claim that it is %100 (I'm not saying it does. I don't have it in front of me), that only means that the Caranuba in it is pure. This should help clear some things up: autogeek.net/qude101.html *No hyperlinks before reaching 30 posts

J. A. Michaels
May 27th, 2010, 03:03 PM
To me it is a psychological thing. If you own a exotic car. Costing north of $100,000, the perception is you need to apply a expensive wax.

To me it does not matter how expensive the wax is. It all lies in the prep work. That is were you get the "mirror" look.

SVT Lightning
May 27th, 2010, 03:18 PM
I recently purchased Zymol Royale for a measly $8,416. It makes my car look better than ever other car in the known and unknown universe. I don't need to polish my car. I don't even need to wash my car. All I need to do is to apply a coat of Royale and my car is better than yours ... indeed, not only is it better than yours but it's better than everybody's car. And because my car is better than everybody's car (or should it be plural, "cars"?), and because my car is an extension of my self; therefore, I am better than each of you.

Please don't feel too bad. It's just the way the universe has worked things out.

I feel so good now. And you feel so bad. Give up. It doesn't matter how often you wax your cars, friends--my car will always look better than yours and therefore I will will always be better than you. I am Royale!

LOL!!! Love your sarcasm.... $8,416.....you can buy a car! Seriously, an $8,416 wax applied to a car that hasn't been properly prepped will look like just your regular el-cheapo wax. 95% of a show car finish is in the prep work!

Tuck91
May 27th, 2010, 03:36 PM
LOL!!! Love your sarcasm.... $8,416.....you can buy a car! Seriously, an $8,416 wax applied to a car that hasn't been properly prepped will look like just your regular el-cheapo wax. 95% of a show car finish is in the prep work!

Exactly.

Try applying that $8,000 wax to something like this and then tell me how great it is...

http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/data/1009/medium/DSC05813.JPG (http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/28035/size/big/cat/)

Expertcarpetcare
May 27th, 2010, 04:01 PM
I suppose, so nobody can tell me why Brazilian Carnuba Wax is better than say.. #21 Meguiar's Synthetic. But I could tell you why a Ferrari is better than a Toyota Camry.

Expertcarpetcare
May 27th, 2010, 04:35 PM
To get a better understanding of this sacred Carnauba Wax. I googled it.

http://commondatastorage.googleapis.com/static.panoramio.com/photos/original/5214848.jpg

Carnauba wax is a botanical product used in a large number of industries. Sometimes called the “Queen of Wax,” carnauba wax has a much harder melting point than other waxes, and is also extremely hard. This makes it ideal for creating extremely strong coatings for floors, automobiles, and other things which see hard wear. In addition, carnauba wax appears in candies, polishes, varnishes, cosmetic products, and in many other places. Although carnauba wax has largely been replaced by synthetics, it is still produced and used in many parts of the world.

Ads by Google
Carnauba Car Wax
Find more sources/options for what your looking for www.webcrawler.com
Car Wax & Polish
Auto Wax, Metal Polish & Boat Wax Car Polish, Carnauba Wax & Sealants www.topoftheline.com
A Brazilian tree formally named Copernicia prunifera and otherwise known as the fan or carnauba palm is the source for carnauba wax. The palm has broad fan like leaves attached to toothed stalks. In hot, dry weather, the plant secretes wax to protect the leaves from damage. People who want to collect the wax dry the leaves and then beat them to dislodge the yellowish to brown waxy coating, which usually flakes off. The wax is refined and bleached before it is used. Carnauba palms can live in extreme environments because of their protective wax coating, making them an excellent choice of crop for farmers working with poor soil and weather conditions.

A temperature of 172 degrees Fahrenheit (78 degrees Celsius) is required to melt carnauba wax. It is also not readily soluble. Water cannot break down a layer of carnauba wax, and only certain solvents can, usually in combination with heat. This means that carnauba wax is highly durable. Used plain, it can make something waterproof and wear resistant. Combined with things such as tints and dyes, carnauba wax can be used to create an enduring colored polish. Eventually, hard wear will strip carnauba wax from most surfaces, but a fresh layer can be reapplied. In older homes with hardwood floors and fixtures, carnauba wax was probably used as a conditioner at some point.

The substance is often used instead of or in combination with other waxes because of how strong it is. Many surfers, for example, use waxes for their boards which integrate carnauba. It is also used to coat paper plates, dental floss, and as a vegetarian alternative to gelatin. In the pharmaceutical industry, carnauba wax frequently appears as a tablet coating, and it appears in a number of packaged foods. Unlike many other waxes, a carnauba wax finish will not flake off with time, it will merely become dull. This makes it ideal for locations in which a flaking finish would look unsightly.

akimel
May 27th, 2010, 04:57 PM
Al- You've spent under 85 hundred dollars to wax a Honda?

Of course I haven't. Don't be silly. It's called ... humor.
:monkeys

Mark Kleis
May 27th, 2010, 05:14 PM
Al- You've spent under 85 hundred dollars to wax a Honda? Yeah, I've seen the magical element of using waxes that cost more than most peoples cars, and I'll say that you're mad. At that price you could pay to have your car repainted several times, and get by with a cheaper Carnauba wax. *Edit - Violation of rules 1. No personal attacks toward members or non-members will be tolerated. and 3. You are welcome to disagree but you must be polite.
Last- people pay hundreds of thousands of dollars for the exclusivity of owning a more exotic car. Yes, a $30,000 will suffice, but if you've got the money, then go for it. Buy the Aston, and wax it with $8,500 wax.

ExpertPetCare- Yes, the really expensive wax is better because it has more Carnauba in it, while something like Meguiars does have some Carnauba, and may claim that it is %100 (I'm not saying it does. I don't have it in front of me), that only means that the Caranuba in it is pure. This should help clear some things up: autogeek.net/qude101.html *No hyperlinks before reaching 30 posts

Jaguar,

For starters, please take a minute to read over the foum rules, FOUND HERE (http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20635).

We have these rules because we like to keep our forums friendly and safe for people of all ages. We do not tolerate personal attacks or jabs.

Taking that into consideration, please adjust your tone in your posts.

By the way, Akimel was kidding.

Lasthope05
May 27th, 2010, 05:15 PM
I suppose, so nobody can tell me why Brazilian Carnuba Wax is better than say.. #21 Meguiar's Synthetic. But I could tell you why a Ferrari is better than a Toyota Camry.

Its not better or worst. I wouldnt be quick to say a Ferrari is better than a Toyota. The correct word would be "more refined." Functionally they work the same but the Ferrari is more refined in using more exotic materials than your standard car.

Waxes are no different. They use more exotic oils and ingredients than your average OTC wax.

Also the carnauba content does does not dictate the final cost of the product but the types of ingredients used, amount of R&D to make and test the wax, cost of materials from suppliers and dealer mark ups.

Expertcarpetcare
May 27th, 2010, 05:42 PM
Just to find out for myself, I was about to order some

http://www.rscarcare.com/images/T/Dodo%20Juice%20Blue%20Velvet%20PRO%20Hard%20Wax%20200%20ml.jpg

It intrigued me and this wax is specifically designed for dark blue vehicles.
Its $95.00 for a 200ml can.

I was willing to "bite the bullet" and invest in a can of some "high quality"
wax to use on my own vehicles ( both Dark blue) and see if it made
a difference, or at least lasted longer. It was going to be a "treat" for me
to use on my personal vehicle, not for customers.

But when I was about to submit the order, they added on $15.00 for using a credit card,
plus $88.00 to ship it (there was some other stuff I was going to order with it totalling about 20lbs) and Im only about 75 miles from them. I was outraged and
cancelled the order. Now I wont get to see if it was better or not. Shame.
But at least I still have my money :)

Lasthope05
May 27th, 2010, 05:48 PM
Where are you ordering from? Have a look at EShine.CA They carry purple haze which is almost the same wax but the soft version. They have a really good price at $46

Expertcarpetcare
May 27th, 2010, 05:53 PM
Ahh ok thanks, was hoping to get some referals! I'll see how they are about shipping ;)

Expertcarpetcare
May 27th, 2010, 06:24 PM
Just popped back for an update. Wow it pays to look around. Eshine had it for half the price, no surcharges for using a CC, and free shipping on orders over $150. Much better.
Thanks for the referral, this Dodo Juice is the soft wax rather than the hard, not sure of the difference, maybe it just doesnt last as long? But I'll try it out for fun.

P.S. Dont worry Meguiars, Im still loyal to your waxes too!

Fly Bye
May 27th, 2010, 06:25 PM
I have the Pinnacle Souveran paste wax that I have had for about 3 1/2 years. While it makes my red S2k look good, I think both Gold Class, & Mirror Glaze #26 look just as good, if not better. The Souveran paste wax does not last as long as GC & #26.

The Souveran now cost's 95 bones $$$

Fly Bye
May 27th, 2010, 06:33 PM
What makes this so much better than regular wax?

It's better cause it has Paul Dalton's name on it.

Who would buy this for their car, and why?

Think of this stuff like a rare, exotic wine. Being from wine country, I can find a $55-$60 bottle of Cab that is just as good as a $225-$300 bottle of Cab. You're paying for a name when you spend $190 plus on a bottle of wine.

Mary S
May 28th, 2010, 04:56 AM
I recently purchased Zymol Royale for a measly $8,416.

You should feel really bad, you got ripped off. I just saw Zymol Royale on sale on Amazon.com for only $8415.

gto_don
May 28th, 2010, 06:29 AM
My guess is this....IF you have a car that is that expensive to feel it warrants $8k wax, you are most likely not the one who is going to apply and work the detail anyway. You are gonna call one of us to do the work and if I would get the call, I would charge $10,000 for the complete detail (and probably use Meguiars product and shelve the $8k stuff) and we would all be happy and singing "Don't Worry, Be Happy".............. :chuckle1

Michael Stoops
May 28th, 2010, 07:37 AM
There's a market for everything. Why else would there be a Bugatti Veyron? Seriously, nobody needs a car that costs $1.5 million + that only seats two people and needs a test track to demonstrate one of it's main "features" (ie, that crazy top speed). Nobody needs a wax that's priced in the four figure range. But if you have the means, and you desire the product, go for it.

But keep it all in context. Define "better". Is a Ferrari truly better than a Toyota? Which models are you comparing? If you're idea of "better" is a car that can seat 4 adults in comfort and get you really good gas mileage, then a Camry Hybrid destroys anything coming out of the Scuderia. Is a multi thousand dollar wax better than a $7 cleaner wax? Not if you have some minor below surface defects that you need to address.

It's all about perspective. There really is no "right" or "wrong" here. We all like what we like and we all have our own priorities.

imacarnut
May 28th, 2010, 11:18 AM
Something that is "best" is going to be in the eye of the beholder along with experience with the product. Someone may like Swissvax or Zymol products and think Meguiar's is junk and vice versa. It comes down to personal preference like anything else..

akimel
May 28th, 2010, 11:29 AM
Al- You've spent under 85 hundred dollars to wax a Honda?

Well, apparently Luthien read this thread, and as we were driving this she said to me, "What do you mean implying to the MOL brethren that I am not worth an $8400 wax? I'm just as good looking as a Ferrari and I handle as well as a Porsche!"

Well, what could I say in reply? I knew I was in trouble. All I could do is nod and say, "Darlin', I adore you. If I were rich, of course I'd buy a super-expensive wax just for you. I apologize for hurting your feelings."

Boy, cars sure can be sensitive. Sheesh. :chuckle1

JaguarXj6L
May 28th, 2010, 11:32 AM
Jaguar,

For starters, please take a minute to read over the foum rules, FOUND HERE (http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20635).

We have these rules because we like to keep our forums friendly and safe for people of all ages. We do not tolerate personal attacks or jabs.

Taking that into consideration, please adjust your tone in your posts.

By the way, Akimel was kidding.

Mark, I do humbly apologize for my tone.:surrender I did not realize that it had come across as being a personal attack, just as I did not realize the sarcasm behind spending $8,500 on car wax along with the rest of that post. It really is quite difficult to write a tone when one is typing.

With regards to my hyper link faux pas. I have no excuse except for having made a simple mistake. I was simply trying to provide an answer to a question.

So, back to the "best wax". It does all depend on the prep work and the quality of the car's paint. Really expensive wax looks great on perfect paint, while something like Meguiars cleaning wax can make some older paint look like new. I wouldn't spend more than $30 on wax for my car because the paint is 13+ years old. I'd rather save my money to get the car repainted if I really wanted to use such an expensive wax.

Ferrari vs. Toyota Camary
Ferrari is faster, prettier (IMHO), but the Camary is cheaper, more fuel efficient, easier to drive and maintain. Again, it seems that what it is coming down to is living to your means.

Garage Troll
May 28th, 2010, 03:26 PM
:monkeys

Now Al, no need to be humble. We all know you use Zymol's $50k wax.

LOL. That was a great post. I was wondering if someone would fall for it.

As for expensive waxes, are they better? Maybe, but it's not worth THAT much. It's like everything else that is exorbantly price, it's a bragging point.

Mark Kleis
May 28th, 2010, 04:08 PM
Mark, I do humbly apologize for my tone.:surrender I did not realize that it had come across as being a personal attack, just as I did not realize the sarcasm behind spending $8,500 on car wax along with the rest of that post. It really is quite difficult to write a tone when one is typing.

With regards to my hyper link faux pas. I have no excuse except for having made a simple mistake. I was simply trying to provide an answer to a question.

So, back to the "best wax". It does all depend on the prep work and the quality of the car's paint. Really expensive wax looks great on perfect paint, while something like Meguiars cleaning wax can make some older paint look like new. I wouldn't spend more than $30 on wax for my car because the paint is 13+ years old. I'd rather save my money to get the car repainted if I really wanted to use such an expensive wax.

Ferrari vs. Toyota Camary
Ferrari is faster, prettier (IMHO), but the Camary is cheaper, more fuel efficient, easier to drive and maintain. Again, it seems that what it is coming down to is living to your means.
No worries! Welcome to MOL... once you learn the odds and ends, you will love it :wavey

Expertcarpetcare
May 28th, 2010, 04:38 PM
Testing new profile pic

akimel
May 28th, 2010, 07:53 PM
Now Al, no need to be humble. We all know you use Zymol's $50k wax.

Who ratted me out? I did have to sell my children into slavery but it was worth it. My car sure looks good. ;)

Actually, I did once dress Luthien in Zymol Vintage (http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36722). I think (I emphasize, I think) I saw a subtle difference, though that difference may well have been caused by the jeweling done by Dan Wendell. In any case, my "Honda" looked great in Vintage ... but she also looks great in every wax I have used.

My favorite waxes for Luthien (excluding Vintage) are: Souveran, Fuzion, and Harly Wax. At the moment she is dressed in Blackfire Wet Diamond topped by Midnight Sun. Gorgeous! As you can see, I'm a wax addict. But I think the economy has brought me to the edge of selling off some of these pots of wax sitting on my shelf. No man needs all these waxes for just two cars. I got a bit carried away ... :nervous1

Expertcarpetcare
May 29th, 2010, 04:53 PM
So what is the difference between a soft wax and a hard wax? I assume you are supposed to put the hardshell wax on first, then you could optionally top it with the soft. But is the soft wax good enough on its own? Or does it wear off fast.

Mary S
May 31st, 2010, 06:22 AM
Who ratted me out? I did have to sell my children into slavery but it was worth it. My car sure looks good. ;)

Actually, I did once dress Luthien in Zymol Vintage (http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36722). I think (I emphasize, I think) I saw a subtle difference, though that difference may well have been caused by the jeweling done by Dan Wendell. In any case, my "Honda" looked great in Vintage ... but she also looks great in every wax I have used.

My favorite waxes for Luthien (excluding Vintage) are: Souveran, Fuzion, and Harly Wax. At the moment she is dressed in Blackfire Wet Diamond topped by Midnight Sun. Gorgeous! As you can see, I'm a wax addict. But I think the economy has brought me to the edge of selling off some of these pots of wax sitting on my shelf. No man needs all these waxes for just two cars. I got a bit carried away ... :nervous1

I got seduced by the lure of a boutique wax yesterday and am kicking myself for it. The thing is, I already have one, and I know it doesn't outperform #26, and I had sworn that would be my last, especially since 7 ounces seems like a lifetime supply. And there were two 3-ounce jars in a kit at a price I couldn't refuse. The thing is there were so many other things I really needed that I could have spent that money on, and I really didn't need (maybe wanted) the other things in the kit. And now I have 2 lifetime supplies of boutique wax, in addition to about every wax and sealant that Meguiar's makes. Is there a boutique wax anonymous 12-step program somewhere?

Expertcarpetcare
May 31st, 2010, 04:05 PM
I swear sometimes all these detailing products are like a "fix". We cant walk thru the detailing section of a department store without perusing for at least an hour and picking up this and that to try out. Ultimately we end up with shelves full of stuff. We need to get it under control, especially since Meguiar's makes at least six versions of every product!
I'm hooked!

Tuck91
May 31st, 2010, 04:17 PM
I am not hooked at all, I just buy what I need.

Expertcarpetcare
May 31st, 2010, 05:03 PM
I have always been one who wants to try out everything, from products to equipment to accessories. How do you know you are using the best if you have not tried them all?
Ultimately I end up settling with what I like the most, but that can take quite some time.

Mary S
Jun 1st, 2010, 04:09 AM
I have always been one who wants to try out everything, from products to equipment to accessories. How do you know you are using the best if you have not tried them all?
Ultimately I end up settling with what I like the most, but that can take quite some time.

Me too, I just love to test things, products, tools, you name it. Plus since I anticipate I will be doing other people's cars at some, if you buy everything you anticipate you might need in any situation, there is no limit on what you can spend. Fortunately I don't have an unlimited budget, and now I feel I have outspent myself for at least until the end of this month.

ajb39oh
Jun 1st, 2010, 08:06 PM
I swear sometimes all these detailing products are like a "fix". We cant walk thru the detailing section of a department store without perusing for at least an hour and picking up this and that to try out. Ultimately we end up with shelves full of stuff. We need to get it under control, especially since Meguiar's makes at least six versions of every product!
I'm hooked!

I thought I was the only one!:D

nothelle
Jun 1st, 2010, 08:29 PM

Feels familiar. This curiosity will leave you broke at the end lol :rofl: I personally think each wax has its own value: price, packaging, ease-of-use, gloss, clarity, depth, etc., etc. Find what you're looking for in a wax, set a budget and spent wisely. Oh don't forget to invest in that prep stage, otherwise that money that you spent on wax won't be worthwhile :D Happy detailing :Scottwax2

Mary S
Jun 2nd, 2010, 04:55 AM
I personally think each wax has its own value: price, packaging, ease-of-use, gloss, clarity, depth, etc.

One of the biggest differences I have seen in some of the boutique waxes and sealants is that some of them are wipe on-wipe off, so they would be easier and quicker to apply in that sense. But then, they take 8 to 12 hours to "cure," i.e., no driving in rain, no putting another product on top of it. So probably not good for professional detail in most cases.

And I thought I read in someone's description that it could be applied in the sun, although I don't remember which product that was, and that would be a good thing.

To see the difference between the effects of the products, I don't think you can see it close up at all. It is probably easiest to see at least 5 or 10 feet away, looking at the reflections at almost a tangent to the surface, at an angle where you would see reflections but not swirls. That's when you could see the optics of what the product does.

scottphys
Jun 25th, 2011, 05:51 PM

This may be my all time favorite posting...ever!

Larry A
Jun 25th, 2011, 06:37 PM
If you want expensive waxes and can afford it , by all means buy it. You may feel better having a wax that most people cant afford.

OldSchoolDude
Jun 26th, 2011, 05:07 PM
I'd have to own a 400k car to even think about buying a wax that cost 1,400 bucks.
Question is:
What would one benifit in buying such a wax?
But hey, some have money to blow.

Ryansworld
Sep 17th, 2011, 09:40 AM
Wow I had no idea you could even sell wax for that much money! Some people have too many dollars and not enough cents :p

Seriously though, it'd be nice to be able to spend that much money on something as silly as wax!