PDA

View Full Version : So, where do you stand when it comes to detailing?

gb387
Jan 14th, 2005, 04:51 PM
Where do you stand when it comes to detailing?

Just thought it would be a fun poll.

:db:

the other pc
Jan 14th, 2005, 05:08 PM
For most of my cars I just stand on the floor. To polish the roof of the truck I stand on a folding bench (much easier than standing on the tires like I used to).

PC.

tripper_11
Jan 14th, 2005, 06:20 PM
For the most part, I used to detail my own vehicles. However, I also do weekend jobs for relatives and friends and referrals.

trubluscrew
Jan 14th, 2005, 06:21 PM
I only detail my truck. The wifes car / the family beater/my car for commuting has holes so large I can put my head through it. If I wash the car, i'll be left with a pile of rust and a frame.

Superior Shine
Jan 14th, 2005, 06:38 PM
Full blown, all speed ahead, pedel to the metal, full time auto detailing !!!

scrub
Jan 14th, 2005, 07:04 PM
I voted other. I'm a weekend type that does it for side money but I also have a business license and claim the money I spend and make.

refurbish
Jan 14th, 2005, 10:30 PM
I detail all of the household vehicles,any co-workers vehicles
at present job,any relatives if needed,soon looking foward to
getting licensed to start my own bussiness( detailing )

mirrorfinishman
Jan 15th, 2005, 06:16 AM
I operate a mobile detailing business here in Southern New Jersey. Although auto and boat detailing does take up a majority of my time, I also offer a variety of instructional information about detailing, such as Start Your Own Detailing Business Study Guides, Automobile & Boat Detailing Guides and Online Detailing Courses.

In order to fill the need that people have to learn more about how they can safely clean, polish and wax their own car, I am currently planning to begin teaching onsite detailing tutorials this spring. Basically, my clients would be shown just about everything they need to know in order to detail their own car just like a professional.

Superior Shine
Jan 15th, 2005, 10:44 AM
my clients would be shown just about everything they need to know in order to detail their own car just like a professional.

Too bad they will not learn the safe and efficient use of detailing clay.

Otherwise, good luck with your training classes. I know of a detailer, Gary - Chicago I think, that has become very useful at training.

SprintKing
Jan 15th, 2005, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Superior Shine
Too bad they will not learn the safe and efficient use of detailing clay.

sorry to go O/T a bit here ..
did i miss something ???
what do u mean joe?

Superior Shine
Jan 15th, 2005, 04:30 PM
Frank doesn’t use clay to clean the finish of a vehicle (as he posted recently) He uses other ways to clean the surface of paint. I am assuming he will not teach the proper way to use detailing clay if he doesn’t use it himself.

I have detailed vehicles since I was 7 - 8 year old starting out in my fathers body shop (I am 37 now) and I personally believe that the introduction of detailing clay is the best thing to happen to auto detailing in the last 20 years. Even though I respect others opinions I do believe it unfortunate that some don't see the benefit of detailing clay.

mirrorfinishman
Jan 16th, 2005, 07:26 AM
Since I have already been teaching Adult Evening Detailing Classes at many of the local high schools here in South Jersey for more than ten years and I now also offer Online Detailing Classes, it was only natural for me to begin to offer new clients Onsite Detailing Tutorials.

Over the years it has become clear to me that there are plenty of people who just have a basic need to learn more about detailing. When it comes to detailing, I intend to continue to satisfy that need. Below is a brief summary of what the tutorial has to offer a new client.

TUTORIAL OBJECTIVE
The tutorial is being developed to help someone through the basic process of what it takes to safely clean, polish and wax todays' Hi-Tech Automobile Paint Finishes. It is a good way for someone to learn just about everything they need to know about safely cleaning, polishing, waxing and protecting their own car. Clients will be able to discuss their problems and get solutions.

TUTORIAL DESCRIPTION
The onsite tutorial will include information about the history of automobile paints and finishes. Comprehensive information about automobile detailing products, such as cleaners, polishes, waxes and protectants. Also included is an outline of basic step-by-step process procedures plus availability of professional automobile detailing supplies and products. How-to safely clean, polish and wax a car by hand and avoid surface damage. How-to clean and protect tires and wheels. How to apply interior and exterior protectants. How to clean and protect upholstery and carpets. How to thoroughly clean windows. The tutorial will also help clients to identify specific paint problems and receive possible solutions, cures and prevention.

TUTORIAL OUTLINE
1 - Exterior Cleaning, Polishing, Waxing and Protecting
2 - Interior Cleaning and Protecting
3 - Detailing Supplies and Products.
4 - Detailing Quality Checklist

electricgreen
Jan 16th, 2005, 09:42 AM
Just my own...unless I get ahold of some else's for a day (I'm detailing obsessed...I'll hijack someone elses car to detail if I get the chance)

Superior Shine
Jan 16th, 2005, 11:01 AM
Frank,

well thought out curriculum, good luck with classes.

DaGonz
Jan 17th, 2005, 12:20 PM
For me, detailing is a "paying hobby"and a form of stress relief... it is a lot cheaper than seeing a pshrink! ;) ;)

Bill Prentice
Jan 18th, 2005, 08:54 PM
I detail my own cars, my wife loves it. Also do some of my families cars as well as friends of the family. There is something about a 73 year old retired pastor who means a lot to me marveling at his gleaming Saturn. Also my daughters now expect it...

A hobby I enjoy completely.

Bill P.

John Styrnol
Jan 27th, 2005, 02:57 PM
Mostly my own, but last fall I started doing others vehicles on weekends. So, hopefully I will be doing others starting this spring.

SingingSabre
Feb 24th, 2005, 02:08 PM
Once I get some sort of DA polisher/buffer I am going to tackle my brother's 89 Vette and associated swirls. Until then, it's just detailing my car and washing my mother's. :)

Don
Mar 1st, 2005, 04:20 AM
I detail my own car within an inch of its life, and I also do side work (weather permitting) on coworkers cars, family and referrals.

Scottwax
Mar 1st, 2005, 04:34 PM

I personally believe that the introduction of detailing clay is the best thing to happen to auto detailing in the last 20 years.

I definitely agree. The next best thing in the last 20 years is microfiber towels. :xyxthumbs

----------------

Back to the topic. I've had my own mobile detailing business 11 years full time come April.

Tom Weed
Mar 1st, 2005, 05:08 PM
I do my own as well as the wifes, but with all the products I've invested in, I will start doing detailing on the weekends for some side work this summer.

It's therapy for me as well and a stress reliever as well as giving me the feeling of satisfaction when I stand back and look at it when I am done.

Tom

corvetmike
Mar 8th, 2005, 07:53 PM
I purchased a new car last year and I wanted to learn how to take care of my new investment, so I searched the internet and found a few good places to learn the art of detailing. Then a friend of mine told me about this Meguiars forum and it was like hitting the jack pot in Las Vegas for auto detailing. I had the great pleasure and fortune to attend the Mike Phillips car clinic recently at their corporate hedquarters and spent the day learning how to do it right. Thanks again Mike!!! I now enjoy detailing my wifes car and my truck and after a few more practice cars of my family and friends I think I might try to drum up some extra weekend money. :D

--------------
Mike M

rusty bumper
May 31st, 2005, 08:10 PM
It's a side business with me, but I've been tempted to do it full time.

I get a lot of raves about my work, but I can see where I need to refine my craft a little more each day in order to make it full time.

My speed is not the greatest in the world, but it's improved a little.

A 1000 posts :db:

I've never made a 1000 posts on any forum, until now.

gb387
Jun 1st, 2005, 02:32 AM
Originally posted by Rusty Bumper

A 1000 posts :db:

I've never made a 1000 posts on any forum, until now.

Congrats! That is a lot of posts! I am not as active in anyother forum either, none are as fun.

rusty bumper
Jun 1st, 2005, 06:33 AM
Originally posted by gb387
Congrats! That is a lot of posts! I am not as active in anyother forum either, none are as fun.

It beats TV.......At least I'm learning something. :xyxthumbs

gb387
Jun 1st, 2005, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by Rusty Bumper
It beats TV.......At least I'm learning something. :xyxthumbs

:iagree:

Lt1Corvette
Jun 13th, 2005, 12:14 PM
Detailing is a side business for me. Being in school, the flexibility makes it perfect. Not to mention the perks of being able to work on some amazing automobiles.

ZeusJr
Jun 17th, 2005, 06:20 PM
Just do my own... :spot

gb387
Oct 5th, 2005, 02:22 AM
*bump*

Pathogen
Oct 5th, 2005, 03:29 AM
That Mercedes I did (for fun) a few weeks ago .... he's been filling up my inbox requesting a second "treatment" :xyxthumbs

Snowman
Oct 5th, 2005, 03:30 AM
I just tend to do my own vehicles and that takes up a great deal of time in itself...LOL But if any friends or anyone asks me to do their vehicle, I normally will take it on.

party:

Shiny Lil Detlr
Oct 5th, 2005, 07:00 AM
I'm what I like to call a "weekend-only pro," because I usually fill up my weekends with details on client vehicles.

I'd LOVE to go full-time, and maybe I will next summer. The decision then will be whether or not to invest in a trailer and going totally mobile. Luckily I already have the means to haul it.

KBzPTGT
Oct 5th, 2005, 10:45 AM
I know of a detailer, Gary - Chicago I think, that has become very useful at training. [/B]

Would that be Gary Kouba of PerfectAutoFinish?

ViperArry
Oct 14th, 2005, 01:55 AM
I just detail my own car.... and try to get my neighbours, family and some more people Meguiars enthousiasts by detailing their cars....
Or just demonstrate Meguiars to them....... to get more and more Meguiars enthousiasts in The Netherlands.

I don't get money for this, and look at it like a sort of hobby.

(My girlfriend is getting more and more familiar with terms like Swirls..... when I look at other cars while driving.....)

So Cal Red-X
Oct 19th, 2005, 10:58 AM
Full time! Hard work, high risk, great reward. Been at it for the last five years.

Mobile Auto Spa and Detail :xyxthumbs

m2mazda6
Oct 20th, 2005, 11:55 AM
I'm a weekender I'v been doing a car a weekend for quite awhile now. It keeps me busy with my full time job during the week.

Andrew
Nov 30th, 2005, 07:56 AM
well I am still pretty new at this so I only detail my car, but I did do both my girlfriends and my mom's cars for practice with products like DC#1 and scratch X before moving over to my finish which is in pretty decent shape.:D

jchetty
Nov 30th, 2005, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Scottwax
I definitely agree. The next best thing in the last 20 years is microfiber towels. :xyxthumbs

----------------

Back to the topic. I've had my own mobile detailing business 11 years full time come April.

definetly agree, pc.cyclo are in my top 10..i occasionally due other people's car, sometimes for money sometime free. this spring i do plan on doing interiors on sundays for extra cash..thanks to accumulator and others i plan on getting a either the ninja or sensei extractor:D

teterd
Nov 30th, 2005, 06:02 PM
Myself, I'm just learning. Bought an MG that had badly oxidized paint. A friend suggested the Deep Crystal three step system. After the removal of the oxidation, found the paint to be fairly decent. I have spent over two weeks trying to bring it back. This forum has been the best thing I could have found. I now have practiced on my Grand Prix and my wife's Frontier. I have ordered a PC and now I can't wait!!!:db:

gb387
Aug 15th, 2006, 05:11 PM
bump - - anyone else?

Krazy Ken
Aug 15th, 2006, 07:28 PM
Just do my own. Once in a while I will do one for a friend or relative.

LAfirefytr
Aug 15th, 2006, 08:11 PM
I started off doing just mine about 6 months ago. I had some swirls and scratches when I bought a used NIssan Titan . I spent a lot of time on here reading and learning from experienced people. I attended a Meguiars RoadShow in Tampa and got some excellent hands on training from MIke Phillips and other detailers from the Florida and surrounding area.
I went to work on mine and afterwards got compliments and questions as to who/where I got my truck deatiled at. I was able to tell them that I did it and owed it all to Meguiars, Meguiars ONline community members, and the Roadshow. I work full time as a Firefighter/Medic and have some time off between shifts so it has allowed me the opportunity to begin detailing on the side during the past few months.

MotorcycleDetailing
Aug 16th, 2006, 07:33 AM
Motorcycles, motorcycles and more motorcycles

I try to leave those big time consuming cars and utilities to those with more muscle power....give me the good old cruisers anyday.

The only cars I do are for friends and family or for clients that I do their motorcycles I will sometimes do their cars as well.

Did a semi once....but never again.

MaximusZTS
Aug 16th, 2006, 12:43 PM
I am a weekend car detailer for money. I dont get enought time to do my own car. :( I am always working on someone elses car or truck. Oh well it pays for my Meguiar's addiction.

Lydia
Aug 16th, 2006, 03:01 PM
I am just learning how to detail cars the correct way, so I just do my truck, and a few friends or relatives cars or motorcycles (All I've done is a Gold Wing, a ST1100, a Grand Prix GT, a Mazda 626, and my truck). I'd love to do detailing as a side job, but right now I don't have the capital I would need, since I would probably want to get a PC before I did it as a job.

SiriusRIMZ
Aug 16th, 2006, 06:07 PM
I run a low-key buisness. Not really a buisness per say. More of "Word-Of-Mouth" buisness. I do many cars for the people that go to my school, and some others.

rascal
Aug 16th, 2006, 06:11 PM
I voted other since I haven't detailed other cars in a couple of years. I honestly can say that being a member of MOL has really started up my "fire" for detailing again. Of course I'm adding some much needed arsenal to my side by adding the G100. I wish I had it when my old car was still around. My old car had a red SS factory paint that shined like a new chrome w/ the DC system. I could just imagine what it would have looked like with some #80 and a PC w/ NXT wax.:coolgleam

I am trying to get back into the detailing business on the side for some extra cash since things have been really slow at work. Hopefully the folks that I had did detailing before will still need my touch on their cars after my long vacation. ;) It's time to get my hands dirty on other folks cars. :xyxthumbs

indigo s10
Aug 19th, 2006, 07:34 AM
I'm a weekend warrior. I mainly due my own and my families, but have done a few others by request. I want to get a lot better, so when I get ready to retire, I can detail cars to A: make money and, B: keep from getting board just sitting around. This is still several years away.

MotorcycleDetailing
Aug 25th, 2006, 06:01 AM
I hated doing cars as I did it all by hand and it would take me 8 to 10 hours to do a full detail on the outside; wash, Clay, DC Paint cleaner, scratchX, Colour boost, DC polish, DC wax. Now that I have a 125mm dual action polishing/sanding machine it takes me 3 hours to do the most part them I do the little/tight areas by hand. I still wipe all surfaces off by hand with microfibres until I can get those bonnets over here in Australia for the DA machine.

I love detailing motorcycles though as it might take longer and is more fiddly but once the paint and chrome are polished there is nothing better than it. My little DA machine makes doing the paint work so much easier, all I need now is for the Nxt gene all metal polish to come in a liquid form so I can use the DA machine to do the metal polishing.

I made the mistake of going to 2 motorcycle poker runs/pub crawls, one on saturday and one on the following sunday and me being me took my Meguiars gear and offered a free detail as a prize on both days. Not only did I have people waiting at the end of the day for me to do a basic detail (waterless wash, colour boost, DC wetlook, nxt gene all metal polish) but I now have more work then I can get though. One guy even suggested that I get a motorcycle trailer and set up a fully contained unit (Planned for, just need the money to buy the parts and time to weld it togther and paint).

But after spending the last 2 weeks in hospital cause I stuffed my back up again things will be a little slow and booring as I am not suppose to get out of bed. But thats the story of my life, one good thing arrives and 10 bad things show up.

Tom Claessens
Aug 25th, 2006, 08:30 AM
Most of the time my detailing adventures are limited to my own car however from time to time, I "help" a friend and work his car too.

bernard78
Nov 13th, 2006, 04:40 AM
I just detail my own car and sometimes my sis and my dad's car. Maybe once or twice a year I detail my uncle and his wife'w car. And maybe my very close friend's car. That's all.

JRauCDM
Nov 13th, 2006, 05:34 AM
I enjoy keeping our 3 vehicles detailed. I also do a fair number of side jobs, but as many of you know by all the questions I've asked lately, I'm looking to go to the next level in detailing.

JRau in central Iowa

noswirler
Nov 13th, 2006, 02:14 PM
puts food on the table roof over my head all that.
put one daughter through college, have another one at UCLA plan on retiring after she gets out......................................WELL MAYBE NOT( NO REALLY I LOVE MY JOB)

Ryan L.
Nov 13th, 2006, 08:47 PM
Wash and detail the family cars regulary...when ever relatives come over they get the full treatment so I dont have a dirty car sitting in my driveway LOL. Every once in a while a nieghbor will ask for a wash and wax (not full detail)

Totoland Mach
Nov 15th, 2006, 07:55 AM
Up until a month ago, I was doing "driveway detailing" for references from car clubs and a few neighbors.

Then, I met a BMW reseller (he buys late model Bimmers from their leasing side). The volume is low (1-2 cars per week), the shop is a joy to work in on weekends and weeknights when I'm not traveling with my other job. The owner showed me techniques I never tried before (he's been a BMW dealer and reseller for over 30 years) like sanding with 2000 and 3000 grit, compounding and use of a rotary, etc.

And, he's more particular about how the cars turn out than I am.

Here's a pic of the shop
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/MetallicBlack_540i_AIO.jpg

The biggest advantage is I'm in a constant environment and don't have to watch the Weather Channel for every job LOL

Totoland Mach

Hemin8r
Nov 15th, 2006, 12:29 PM
That looks like a nice shop. Wish I had something to work out of like that.
For now I am doing weekend jobs. Hope to one day do it full time. Just got my website running so hopefully that helps me land more jobs.

Up until a month ago, I was doing "driveway detailing" for references from car clubs and a few neighbors.

Then, I met a BMW reseller (he buys late model Bimmers from their leasing side). The volume is low (1-2 cars per week), the shop is a joy to work in on weekends and weeknights when I'm not traveling with my other job. The owner showed me techniques I never tried before (he's been a BMW dealer and reseller for over 30 years) like sanding with 2000 and 3000 grit, compounding and use of a rotary, etc.

And, he's more particular about how the cars turn out than I am.

Here's a pic of the shop
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/MetallicBlack_540i_AIO.jpg

The biggest advantage is I'm in a constant environment and don't have to watch the Weather Channel for every job LOL

Totoland Mach

The Shine Shop
Nov 20th, 2006, 12:06 PM
full time pays for the love of my life,bmw m3!
had the pleasure of hosting mike this summer at our shop and deal regularly with rod kraft.
i have never met to nicer people!
also i think it is amazing that i get to drive cars that some people have only seen in print!

PhantomR/T
Dec 1st, 2006, 10:21 AM
i've just done mine and friend cars... paid a few times for it. need to get paid some more.

worked with my friend who owns his own detailing business a few times too :dp:

kellyinkc
Dec 1st, 2006, 02:26 PM
I usually do my own cars. I do requests. It is relaxing for me. I do not want it to become a "job".

bill_r
Dec 3rd, 2006, 05:45 PM
I just started when I got my current car, a '98 Malibu used last spring. The paint wasn't in terrible shape, but not great either. The interior was grimy, dirty and icky, but it was obvious if I could get it cleaned up I'd have a decent car.

I'm still learning, I've got the interior in outstanding shape, and the paint is a lot shinier and smoother, although I still have to get more experience to get the swirls out.

J. A. Michaels
Jan 31st, 2007, 06:33 PM
:rolleyes: I still consider myself new at this detailing the megs way aka the right way. I just take care of my families cars, and one of my daughter's friends car. As I try to hone my skills and take them to the next level.

CAShine
Jan 7th, 2008, 09:58 AM
I detail professionally when I have time between working full-time and going to school part-time. I am want to grow my business so that it can be self-sustaining.

G Force
Jan 7th, 2008, 10:15 AM
I am all new to detailing,thanks to you guys my car is getting better:)

MoJam
Jan 7th, 2008, 05:08 PM
For now, just my own vehicles, but i'm thinking about doing some on the side (family, friends etc.)
This spring I might just see what becomes of it.
Never know until you try.

b2bomber
Jan 9th, 2008, 09:00 AM
just my own vehicles AND some future in-laws' for now. tee-hee...

contemplating on earning something out of it someday too...

montanajem
Feb 28th, 2008, 11:16 PM
Manage a detail shop full time for an independent auto dealership with 3 detailers under me. So about 3/4 of my time I'm detailing.

Heatgain
Feb 29th, 2008, 05:41 PM
I have now grossed a whopping $70.00 total in weekend detailing. Started out as a hobby a couple of months ago, still is really, but I've detailed two cars for cold, hard cash. Yup.....$70.00. Only $600 and change before I come out even for what I've spent so far.
Expensive hobby.

gb387
Mar 6th, 2008, 02:27 PM
I had forgotten about this post... interesting to look at.

pampos
Mar 14th, 2008, 02:04 AM
I am on the begging of my own business.I started as a mobile detailer and i hope that soon i will have my own shop.I am really new at detailing and i have a lot to learn.According to the "professional detailer" i know i thing that i know more than them.For example:i asked about 10 pro to tell my how i could remove the swirls from my black car and the answer was:IT IS IMPOSSIBLE.IT'S BLACK.Finally i removed them and i would like to help other people to get on the real world of detailing because most of them the know only 3 words about detailing.POLISH,COMPOUND and WAX.

Freebird
Mar 15th, 2008, 11:12 AM
I really only do my cars.... occassionally I'll do a family members. It's just more motivating when you're doing your own car and know you get to cruise around in it after its all nice and purdified :)

thecarguy
Mar 15th, 2008, 08:23 PM
I have been detailing for 17 years , mostly as a business . Up until recently , I had only been working on my own stuff since I quit doing it full time . Former clients see my Beetle driving around all shiny and nice , and they want their cars done on my days off . So now I do the odd one here and there for some extra bread , and to keep current with the new toys .Scottwax1

NitrousG35
Apr 29th, 2008, 06:15 PM
I have detailed cars since 1970, although I would not really call what I was doing back then, "detailing". It has been the last few years when I have become extremely methodical about washing, drying, claying, polishing, glazing, sealing and waxing.

What has attracted me to this site is the amount of information and knowledge to truly transform an average looking paint job into something that is show car spectacular.

Having seen Rasky's work firsthand, I want to be able to simulate his work and really produce a detailing job that will make paint pop.

WhiteLX
Oct 23rd, 2008, 09:01 PM
I have 5 vehicles to take car of and three of them are always outside. Between detailing, modifying, and maintenance, I keep pretty busy. Too bad the weekends aren't longer.

gb387
Nov 17th, 2008, 07:25 AM
Huh - I started this poll so long ago now I have to change my vote to: I detail for some side cash on the weekends. Interesting -

Carfire
Nov 17th, 2008, 07:44 PM
I just started getting money for the end of the season details. Since I am young it is a way to get some extra cash flow. Hopefully if everything works out next spring I will start my detailing business and get some real cash flow.

hibble1
Jan 1st, 2009, 07:18 PM
I own and operate a limousine,Ive waxed cars for years and previously had a detailer do limo twice a year.Eventually my dissatafaction with details lead me to learn the rest of the detail process in order to apply a good coat of protectant and achive a shiny finish.

gb387
Jan 7th, 2009, 03:05 PM
I own and operate a limousine,Ive waxed cars for years and previously had a detailer do limo twice a year.Eventually my dissatafaction with details lead me to learn the rest of the detail process in order to apply a good coat of protectant and achive a shiny finish.

...and save some cash!! That is alot of paint to wax!! :)

Tuck91
Jan 13th, 2009, 07:04 PM
I just detail my Silverado and once in a while I detail the neighbors cars for some extra money

reconmarine0321
Jan 18th, 2009, 11:43 AM
:bawling1Full Time and my back feels it!!!

Stevens Detailing
Jan 18th, 2009, 12:43 PM
Full blown, all speed ahead, pedel to the metal, full time auto detailing !!!

Second that.

Bounty
Apr 8th, 2009, 07:14 PM
Detail my own vehicles and do friends/acquaintances vehicles for side cash on occasion...

paudashlake
Sep 6th, 2009, 06:37 PM
I detail my own vehicles as often as they need it, and my neigboors say they want their cars to look like mine so that is how i make my weekend money

cardriver
Sep 9th, 2009, 08:04 PM
I do family and close friend vehicles, plus just a handful of paying customers in a year.

BobbyG
Apr 3rd, 2010, 03:08 AM
Naturally I detail my own but have done other vehicles as a favor for others but didn't charge for it.

aris
Apr 18th, 2010, 03:50 PM
I detail my own car and my brothers truck and his girl freinds car and my parents car for free..and i do the odd detail for other people for some cash

Matt Majeika
Jun 24th, 2010, 06:52 AM
Starting a mobile detailing business in Rhode Island. Right now it's just my car and family, but I'm going to branch out to coworkers and friends. In the process of making business cards and a website. Suggestions welcome.

Ravi_1992
Aug 17th, 2010, 11:46 PM
I just detail my own cars and family/friends cars. I'm gonna start doing it for money on the weekends

l SIC l
Nov 22nd, 2010, 08:56 AM
For those of you who do 'detail on the side for some spare cash in the weekends', may I ask how you go about getting work? as in, how do you advertise (or is it just for mates, family, etc.)

Also, how long do you reckon it should take to perform a 'full vehicle detail' roughly (including; interior, washing, claying, polishing/cutting and waxing), using all consumer range products and a D/A - if this makes a difference (assuming the vehicle has some light swirls and fairly good paint). Just very generally for a time frame would be good - I've heard an entire day? that seems a bit drastic and unproductive, especially if the detailer is trying to make some quick cash!

Cheers.

1970judge
Nov 22nd, 2010, 03:20 PM
I did some previous details for a side job, a long time ago. But now I just detail mine and my brothers truck.

mswerb
Nov 22nd, 2010, 07:19 PM
I am the self titled "Fleet Manager" at my house. Both of my cars are kept clean at all times. I worked as a detailer for close to 7 years at dealerships, until moving on. I do work on the side for extra cash and pure enjoyment.

Flash Gordon
Jan 28th, 2011, 05:37 PM
I am the best detailer there ever was, is or will ever be :cool:

wifpd4
Jan 29th, 2011, 03:59 AM

In other Memphis news, Elvis has entered the building....

wifpd4
Jan 29th, 2011, 04:48 AM

This post has been moved to the "Myths and Confusion" discussion.

Flash has been living in a Holiday Inn Express this week.

(The defense opened the door to this line of sarcasm)

Okay, okay, just one, er uh, two more...

Flash(back) earned his name when he was in college with Timothy Leary.

When you look in the dictionary under "delusions of grandeur" you'll see Flash's picture.

(I guess now I owe the ASPCA a donation)

:D all in good fun:D

makloy143
Jul 18th, 2011, 11:02 PM
vinyl siding richmond (http://www.classicconstructionext.com/)
The leading contractors in Richmond, VA, for cement siding, vinyl siding, hardiplank, and replacement windows,,

imz4n
Jul 19th, 2011, 05:31 AM
I do my cars and some for the car club. If I do it for the club. that way the jobs stay small, no SUV's. LOL

Mark58
Jan 2nd, 2012, 09:36 AM

While polishing his car he bumped his head and now he is in state of confusion.

ffboy
Feb 14th, 2012, 04:55 PM
I'm more of a weekend type detailer, I just want to keep my cars shiny even if not show car quality. Having said that, i think the cleaning i do to my cars is better than average even compared to my relative's cars. But in time, i may pursue my detailing passion. I have other important business matters to take care of that i feel is top priority, si it has to wait unfortunately.

I keep my cars as clean and shiny as realistically as possible. I feel detailing is a good way for me to get a good exercise.

rcramie
Jun 11th, 2012, 06:34 PM
Im a newb so right now I do any car that a friend or family member will let me do.