PDA

View Full Version : Convince Me

Brad7
Aug 31st, 2010, 04:21 PM
On average i detail about 2 cars per weekend and i do everything by hand. I can achieve good results but it takes a lot of physical effort and time. How much time will the DA save me and what products should i buy with it if i am going to purchase it?

note: i have never used a DA before so i would be a first timer using this

thanks

Cosmin
Aug 31st, 2010, 04:46 PM
On average i detail about 2 cars per weekend and i do everything by hand. I can achieve good results but it takes a lot of physical effort and time. How much time will the DA save me and what products should i buy with it if i am going to purchase it?
note: i have never used a DA before so i would be a first timer using this
thanks

i use to do the meguiar`s 3 step polish , by hand , so i kind of know your "pain". it takes too much time and energy.
what kind of cars are u dealing with? daily drivers , beat-up cars , luxury, exotics? what kind of detail are u doing? removing defects , light polish , wash and wax?
what`s your budget?
see .. just a few questions to let poeple know what exactly are u doing and u plan for...
Cosmin

Brad7
Aug 31st, 2010, 05:11 PM
i use to do the meguiar`s 3 step polish , by hand , so i kind of know your "pain". it takes too much time and energy.
what kind of cars are u dealing with? daily drivers , beat-up cars , luxury, exotics? what kind of detail are u doing? removing defects , light polish , wash and wax?
what`s your budget?
see .. just a few questions to let poeple know what exactly are u doing and u plan for...
Cosmin

I typically detail daily drivers, but some luxury cars once in a while. I offer removing light to medium paint defects. I do intend to use it for waxing on all my jobs as well. I would like to keep the cost under $200.

J. A. Michaels
Aug 31st, 2010, 05:32 PM
I would definitely look into getting a g110v2. You will get better results. Be able to do paint correction, and a huge time saver. Your muscles will thank you.

I would check into ADS for great package deals on the G110v2.

Brad7
Aug 31st, 2010, 05:40 PM
What pads would you recommend for starting off??

imacarnut
Aug 31st, 2010, 05:41 PM
I have said this many times, every detailer/ethusiast should own at least one DA. You will get better overall results more than your hands could ever achieve. When I first started, I wished I would of gotten one alot sooner.

Brad7
Aug 31st, 2010, 05:45 PM
You guys convinced me i cant wait to get one! only a couple more detail jobs untill i can afford one:woot2

sunday joe
Aug 31st, 2010, 08:04 PM
You are 16 and doing 2 cars a weekend! Good for you. If you use a machine you may be able to do 3 or more cars and not be more tired. You may be on your way to being a real good detailer and business man at an early age. Nothing wrong with this teenager.:bestwishes1

Ravi_1992
Aug 31st, 2010, 11:20 PM
I have said this many times, every detailer/ethusiast should own at least one DA. You will get better overall results more than your hands could ever achieve. When I first started, I wished I would of gotten one alot sooner.
:iagree: I bought mine last year and I don't think I can do paint correction with out it any more

Ravi_1992
Aug 31st, 2010, 11:22 PM
What pads would you recommend for starting off??

I would say stick with getting polishing and finishing pads for now, so far , Ive only used a cutting pad once, and that was just to speed up the process

Bill Davidson
Aug 31st, 2010, 11:49 PM
I have to kind of laugh at this thread. If detailing 2 cars by hand, every week isn't going to convince you, I'm not sure what is :chuckle1

Seriously though Brad, I love my DA polisher and I only detail as a hobby. It will be a great investment. You have the opportunity to start your own business at a young age.

I say go for it!!! I must admit, I like how you value money. Doing a couple more detail jobs by hand to pay for it is admirable.

J. A. Michaels
Sep 1st, 2010, 01:01 AM
I personally prefer the softbuff pads. I would get as many 8207,and 9207 pads as you can. I also like to have a 7207 ,cutting pad on hand. Use this with microfiber bonnets to make wax removal a breeze.

Brad7
Sep 1st, 2010, 05:27 AM
I actually am in the process of getting a used car lot as a client. I would have an extra 6-10 cars per month! I will be counting down the days till i can afford that Da polisher. It will increase my productivity and quality of my work. Doing 2 cars a week by hand really does stink but i love detailing so much that I have learned to deal with it. BUT I REALLY NEED MY DA POLISHER!!!!!!

Poki
Sep 1st, 2010, 06:41 AM
If you land that used car lot job....consider getting a couple cutting pads and some M105. You'll be dealing with some nasty defects I'm thinking. Scottwax2

Brad7
Sep 1st, 2010, 06:50 AM
I already have some m105 and 205. All i need is the DA Polisher and i will be set to do some serious work.

Rcktsled
Sep 1st, 2010, 07:09 AM
Sounds like you convinced yourself, Brad7.

I was just like you. I did everything by hand and was happy with the results. About 2 months ago I finally broke down and bought the Porter Cable 7424 XP and Lake Country pads. That was the best $175 I ever spent! You get drastically better results and save a ton of time.

Anybody out there who is sitting on the fence wondering whether a DA is worth it: YES! YES! YES! Just do it!

akimel
Sep 1st, 2010, 07:33 AM
You will need more polishing and finishing pads than you think, especially if you intend to do any kind of paint correction (polishing).

Shawn T.
Sep 1st, 2010, 08:13 AM
You will need more polishing and finishing pads than you think, especially if you intend to do any kind of paint correction (polishing).

Very true. I have 4 8207 pads and 2 9207 pads but I always find myself really stretching the life of each 8207 pad when I am correcting an entire car. When using a cleaner/wax such as Colorx or A12 it doesn't matter as much but you want as fresh of a pad as possible when correcting paint.

scott0999
Sep 1st, 2010, 09:15 AM
I have the G110v1 right now and like it ALOT. it works really good for what it is

right now I have a G110v2 on the way.. I feel that I have mastered the v1 enough that I can handle a little more power.

you young guys are lucky jumping into detailing this day and age. with the G110v2 out and M105/205 things are rather nice :D

on the other hand, be aware its *still all in your technique*. read about how to use the DA correctly.. or else you wont be so well off :xyxthumbs

Brad7
Sep 1st, 2010, 01:06 PM
I will be memorizing the technique for this baby. I live on MOL:dp:

chiquae07
Sep 2nd, 2010, 04:52 PM
brad. i just got my g110v2 yesterday in fact. i started to follow meguiars from the DC 123 program, them got more into it. i just wish that i would have bought a g100 about 4 years ago. look what i was able to create with a g110v2 on my first time using it. wash, clay, and m105 and m205 with a soft yellow 2.0 pad. yes, this is a cell phone pic:

http://i53.tinypic.com/9u3j90.jpg

Brad7
Sep 6th, 2010, 05:23 PM
I just got my new DA and i can't believe i ever lived without it!!! I tried it out with some PRC and it worked great!!! This is such a time saver and helps you get out those tough swirls and scratches that you cant get by hand.

imacarnut
Sep 6th, 2010, 05:34 PM
i just wish that i would have bought a g100 about 4 years ago.

I just got my new DA and i can't believe i ever lived without it!!!

It's definitely one of the best investments one can make, and it pays for itself within a few uses (don't forget you can get a carpet brush attachment and smaller backing plates to use with smaller pads in addition as well) Scottwax2 . Now you can do a few cars on the side and make some extra money so you can buy more detailing tools/products LOL. Start saving now as the new 2011 products are right around the corner :D

Bill Davidson
Sep 6th, 2010, 06:01 PM
I just got my new DA and i can't believe i ever lived without it!!! I tried it out with some PRC and it worked great!!! This is such a time saver and helps you get out those tough swirls and scratches that you cant get by hand.

Good to here. They are a great tool. I think a lot of people have bought polishers/buffers in the past only to be disappointed, so they are hesitant to purchase a DA polisher.

Like you said, once you try one, you wonder how you lived without one.