PDA

View Full Version : My car doesn't need wax

Sean Conrad
Sep 14th, 2010, 02:08 PM
I was at Wal-Mart the other day to purchase some QD to use with my clay and a lady probably in her 70's was in there looking for something. I asked if I could help she said that her husband said "This car doesn't need wax because it is kept in the garage" She was wanting some spray wax. I talked her out of the Turtle wax and instead gave her some UQD. I tried to convince her that to make that paint last longer and to look it's best it needed a good wax. She just looked at me like I was crazy. lol. Oh well. I tried.

Shawn T.
Sep 14th, 2010, 02:14 PM
Yeah, I don't usually pitch my car care routine unless I am at my Autozone. I always find someone there that I turn over to Meguiars. At least the people that walk in there are walking in becasue they want something for their car. If they are in Wal-Mart they may be looking just to look. That's been my experience at least.

Bill Davidson
Sep 14th, 2010, 02:21 PM
Wouldn't Ultimate Quik Wax have been a better choice if she was looking for a wax :-)

I bite my tongue when I go into Walmart/Canadian Tire. It's funny... I see people pick up a Meguiar's product and I'm like "yes" then they put it back and walk out with whatever happens to be on sale. I just shake my head and smile. I look at it this way. All the products on the shelf have their place in the market.

I think it's pretty cute that the lady in her 70's was ambitious enough to want to wax the car, especially when her husband said it didn't need it. That's one cool granny.

J. A. Michaels
Sep 14th, 2010, 02:23 PM
I know what you mean. A lot of people around my area, still believe what there salesman told them. CC does not need wax. They are mostly seniors, whose idea of a car wash is to back it out of the garage when its raining. But the salespeople even tried that line on me a couple of years ago.

Sean Conrad
Sep 14th, 2010, 02:25 PM
She was really wanting something to just spray wash it. I told her to try the UQD since it cleaned and had some wax in it. She was going to buy the wax only though. I just couldn't believe that he told her that it didn't need wax because it was in a garage. Especially since we are in West Virginia and we get a good amount of snow in the winter.

Bill Davidson
Sep 14th, 2010, 02:26 PM
I know what you mean. A lot of people around my area, still believe what there salesman told them. CC does not need wax. They are mostly seniors, whose idea of a car wash is to back it out of the garage when its raining. But the salespeople even tried that line on me a couple of years ago.

Better that, than trying to sell you some form of miracle paint protection.

Sean Conrad
Sep 14th, 2010, 03:21 PM
It's funny that you mention about just letting it rain to clean it. I was talking to a single woman the other day and she said that since she didn't have a man God provided her car wash. Cleaning a car is "man's job" lol.

EPHIOS
Sep 21st, 2010, 05:00 PM
I got some guys I know that work for car dealerships telling that some of the car that is equipped with "paint sealant" ($800 extra), does not need to be waxed.

mattya802
Sep 21st, 2010, 05:06 PM
I got some guys I know that work for car dealerships telling that some of the car that is equipped with "paint sealant" ($800 extra), does not need to be waxed.
lol had the same thing....guy tried selling me the paint protection garbage for like $500....said it didnt have to be waxed for 5 years.

His selling point was "I have it on my Mustang!". ***** to be you dude.

BillE
Sep 22nd, 2010, 02:54 AM
Lot of this sounds like my BIL, says 'waxing' removes the FACTORY sealant and thus voids the warranty. I think he also 'hears voices.'

Bill

dvtldav
Sep 22nd, 2010, 06:00 AM
When I bought my 2007 Lucerne my wife told the salesman we didn't want the paint sealant because I was going to wax it at least 4 times a year anyway and she could buy a heck of a lot of wax for $500.

Dave

cnfowler
Sep 22nd, 2010, 06:54 PM
When I bought my 2007 Lucerne my wife told the salesman we didn't want the paint sealant because I was going to wax it at least 4 times a year anyway and she could buy a heck of a lot of wax for $500.

Dave

:chuckle1

Colin

zbestwun2001
Oct 20th, 2011, 11:02 AM
"This car doesn't need wax because it is kept in the garage"

You sure that wasn't my cousin.. that's the exact same thing she said to me on the phone. "I bought this car 12 yrs ago and it still has wax on it."
I said, Oh really.. that's interesting but wrong... and left it at that.

Sean Conrad
Oct 20th, 2011, 03:27 PM
Zbest, I don't think it was your cousin unless they live in West Virginia. But I was shocked at this comment. But it just goes to show how little real education there is out there about detailing and taking care of cars.

Bjkearns
Oct 22nd, 2011, 08:16 AM
Wait, I thought each time it rained that wax fell from the sky...
I do agree that amount of misinformation and just plain wrong information on car care is really just amazing
With the power of the internet, you would think that would be greatly reduced

Ultraman
Oct 22nd, 2011, 06:13 PM
If some people still think that their cars don't need wax, wait 1-2 years and they'll complain of how hazy, full of swirls, watermarks and contaminants their cars are. Then, they spend more just restoring the OEM shine. Well, to each his own.

MirandaAutoSpa
Oct 22nd, 2011, 06:26 PM
I had a woman today set up an appointment and said that the dealership told her NOT to wax her new Prius because it will ruin the finish!
WHHYYYYYYYYY people WHHYYYYYYYYYYYY?

Hemitom
Nov 14th, 2011, 09:04 PM
Dealers tell people that to make them return to them to have the car repaired/cleaned/waxed and then traded back in on a new car a year or two later...

Michael Stoops
Nov 15th, 2011, 09:48 AM
The "this car is always garaged" line always puts a smile on my face. My usual response is to ask how many miles the car has on it. No matter the answer - 9,000 miles; 20,000 miles; 45,000 miles - my response is always the same: "that's gotta be a pretty big garage if you put that many miles on the car and it's always in the garage"

Exposure is everything. Sure, you may have a car that's 6 years old and only has 6,000 miles on it, but 6,000 miles is LA to NY and back. You don't think a car picks up something in that distance?

Blueline
May 2nd, 2012, 09:09 AM
Sure, you may have a car that's 6 years old and only has 6,000 miles on it, but 6,000 miles is LA to NY and back. You don't think a car picks up something in that distance?

I know this thread is rather old, and just killing time reading, but............ wouldn't a car, waxed or not, "pick up something in that distance."? If it picks up something, wash it off. I personally don't believe a clearcoat needs to be waxed. Just like before no-wax kitchen floors/tiles, women used to wax the floor regularly. Ever see anyone waxing kitchen floors lately? Kitchen floor wax used to be big seller...completely off the market now, replaced by mop and glow, or whatever. My Father never waxed his cars, but he does take care of his 10 year old vehicle, and it looks like new. Sure, he might have have a swirl or two under a black light, but I don't see any wax cops out there looking for swirls. He even uses Dawn or whatever Mom has under the kitchen sink to wash it, and his rubber looks new. (I read somewhere on this site that dish soap ruins weather stripping...nonsense)
That said, I enjoy waxing (and generally care for) my car, not because I believe it gets one iota of "protection" from wax: but because it makes the color (black) pop to use that term. I could probably get that "pop" with olive oil, but is is messy and not as convenient as M16.

ARCStig
May 29th, 2012, 07:15 PM
Take it from me, Wax makes a difference! :) Big difference.... :)

zbestwun2001
May 30th, 2012, 10:02 AM
Take it from me, Wax makes a difference! :) Big difference.... :)

My cousin in NYC still swears that her car is fine.. it's 12 yrs. old, garaged but not waxed. She swears the wax from years ago is still on there.. :hm1 when I send her info to the contrary it's always, '' they just want you to buy their product''... even sites that sell nothing she scoffs at the info.

mhphoto
Jul 21st, 2012, 01:58 PM
I know this thread is rather old, and just killing time reading, but............ wouldn't a car, waxed or not, "pick up something in that distance."? If it picks up something, wash it off. I personally don't believe a clearcoat needs to be waxed.

Well of course it'll pick stuff up on the way, but the question is would people rather having that gunk on a thin layer of wax or on bare clear coat.

And as far as CC not needing wax goes, it's pretty simple to prove that it does. CC absorbs UV. Anything designed to absorb UV is going to "fill up", if you will, eventually. It's the same reason polycarbonate headlights will eventually fail as long as sun is hitting them over a period of time. Carnauba wax happens to soak up a metric frack-ton of UV radiation. Another problem that plagues clear coats is acid rain and water spots, which can be prevented and mitigated by both the beading action of wax and it's protective layer over the CC, taking the brunt of the abuse until (hopefully) the owner washes it.

Wheelzntoys
Jul 21st, 2012, 08:50 PM
A coworker saw me using NXT 2.0 on my Black Accord, he came over and asked how would it look on his silver Stratus.

I dabbed a little on his door to show him. 2 yrs later, his car has clear coat failure all on the side of car except where we dabbed NXT 2.0. He never waxed his car and that was the only time and place it had any type of wax.

Made me a believer that wax protects.

Tedjoseph
Aug 27th, 2012, 02:03 AM
My Salesman has told me that my new cars has extra special kind of coating and something like that So I don't need to wax it. I want ask is it true.

BillE
Aug 27th, 2012, 03:44 AM
What is the coating?
Did you pay extra for it?
Are you 'required' to come back for anything (concerning the coating that is)?

Bill

Michael Stoops
Aug 27th, 2012, 07:53 AM
Unfortunately, Bill, the question posed by "Tedjoseph" was just a plant for his spam link in his signature line - he was a spammer who has been banned.

BillE
Aug 28th, 2012, 04:07 AM
Unfortunately, Bill, the question posed by "Tedjoseph" was just a plant for his spam link in his signature line - he was a spammer who has been banned.

Well, in the words of Emily Litella, "Never mind."

I did see the 'for sale' at the bottom, but thought nuttin' about it.

Thanx for replying...

Bill

RandyBoone
May 16th, 2013, 05:40 PM

If it really has been sealed with a good paint sealant and done the correct way it doesn't need wax, and that's a cold hard fact.

When you do a paint sealant you need to polish the car first, with a special cleaner, which heats the paint and closes up the pores. Then when you put the paint sealant on it seals any "unclosed" pores and keeps out the weather and provides a rock hard surface. If the elements can't penetrate your paint you don't need wax. Wax "temporarily" does what the paint sealant "permanently" does.

However, even with the paint sealant you need a yearly "once over" to keep it looking good and performing the way it should. I have a 1990 Chevy S-10 that's never had even one drop of wax on it and it still looks like brand new. As a matter of fact, you'd be hard pressed to even find a new one that looks anywhere near as good as mine does.

So there, you learned something today. It really is possible to never wax your vehicle again!

davey g-force
May 16th, 2013, 06:58 PM
It really is possible to never wax your vehicle again!

Yeah but you still have to re-apply your sealant once a year, so it's essentially the same thing. Perhaps a bit less frequent, but you're still applying something to it periodically.

btw do you mean sealant or coating?

evomacky
May 17th, 2013, 07:27 AM
he probably means something like opti-coat. waxes can be considered as a sealant. especially M21.

Michael Stoops
May 17th, 2013, 07:40 AM
If it really has been sealed with a good paint sealant and done the correct way it doesn't need wax, and that's a cold hard fact.

When you do a paint sealant you need to polish the car first, with a special cleaner, which heats the paint and closes up the pores. Then when you put the paint sealant on it seals any "unclosed" pores and keeps out the weather and provides a rock hard surface. If the elements can't penetrate your paint you don't need wax. Wax "temporarily" does what the paint sealant "permanently" does.

However, even with the paint sealant you need a yearly "once over" to keep it looking good and performing the way it should. I have a 1990 Chevy S-10 that's never had even one drop of wax on it and it still looks like brand new. As a matter of fact, you'd be hard pressed to even find a new one that looks anywhere near as good as mine does.

So there, you learned something today. It really is possible to never wax your vehicle again!
Sealant, wax.

Ta-may-toe, ta-mah-toe.

You're still putting something over the paint to protect it. We regularly get people asking what wax they need after they apply a sealant, not realizing that "sealant" is basically the term for "fully synthetic wax". They do the same thing.

As for using "a special cleaner, which heats the paint and closes up the pores", that's not physically possible with today's modern catalyzed clear coats. The chemistry simply won't allow for it.

And these two comments contradict each other: "Wax "temporarily" does what the paint sealant "permanently" does.

However, even with the paint sealant you need a yearly "once over" to keep it looking good and performing the way it should."

If a paint sealant is "permanent" it shouldn't have to be reapplied once a year. Even the most high tech coatings on the market today - 22PLE, CQuartz Finest, Permanon, Opti Coat 2.0, etc - are not truly "permanent" although they can and will last for several years without reapplication, if properly taken care of. And while some of these are highly scratch resistant, that doesn't mean you can just run the car through a poorly maintained automatic car wash without fear of damage. We've seen too many cases of just that happening, and the coating then needs to be compounded off and reapplied. When properly applied and maintained, however, these coatings eliminate the need for regular waxing. But they're still an aftermarket product applied over the paint to protect it.

Len_A
Sep 28th, 2014, 10:23 AM
Funny thing is that, back in college (and I graduated in 1982), a friend of mine, who worked as a porter at a local dealer, got a hold of a 'sample" of the dealers paint sealant (OK, he filled a baby food jar and took it), and we took it to the chemical engineering lab and compared it to No. 20 Polymer Sealant. Do I have to tell any of you guys how close they were, to each other, chemically? And at that time, No. 20 could be had for about $12 a bottle, verses, at that time, $300 to $450 for dealer (mis)applied paint sealant.