PDA

View Full Version : paint cleaned always before waxing or not?

Ron500
Sep 22nd, 2010, 05:28 AM
do you clean paint every time before appliying a wax and or polish, me personally, i think i always have to clean paint before application no matter how flawless it is, it just gives me that extra bit of satisfaction.

akimel
Sep 22nd, 2010, 05:57 AM
Just to clarify: when you say "clean," what precisely do you mean?

Ron500
Sep 22nd, 2010, 06:20 AM
i mean using a cleaner polish to remove defects or claying, basically anything before waxing..

akimel
Sep 22nd, 2010, 06:57 AM
Thanks, then my answer is no. I will generally polish or clean the paint on my two vehicles in spring and fall. Between these times, I will wax as needed or as the spirit inspires. I will occasionally use a cleaner wax (M20 is my current favorite) if water spots appear or if the paint loses clarity; but otherwise I just use my regular waxes.

Chris Thompson
Sep 22nd, 2010, 07:06 AM
I don't polish it every time I wax. Maybe once or twice a year, depending on what kind of condition the car is in. I would say the same thing for claying. I only clay 2x a year and that's all I recommend for my customers.

J. A. Michaels
Sep 22nd, 2010, 04:29 PM
I would also say no.

ocdetail
Oct 11th, 2010, 05:31 AM
Ah, the timeless question. I always clay before a wax. #1 wax works better when it's applied to paint. #2 just imagine what those contaminants can do to your finish if it kicks off the paint and sticks onto your waxing pad/applicator.

smack
Oct 15th, 2010, 01:13 PM
I at least clay every time before an application of wax or sealant.

Mark Kleis
Oct 15th, 2010, 05:13 PM
If you wash regularly (weekly or close to it), and use a cleaner wax once every month to two months, then you are cleaning the paint fairly well. I clay maybe once every several months on my personal car, as I garage it and keep it clean so little bonds to the paint.

As for polish, I am at two years since I last polished, and my car is still about 90% swirl free. I think it is time for a single pass of M205 via rotary to get back to perfection :)

AllenB
Mar 4th, 2011, 05:38 PM
I like to put a coat of #7 on before I wax. It makes the wax go on real nice an looks great. I did #7 followed by NXT on white and it really made it shine. I only clean it if I see some defects that I want to remove. Clay when it starts feeling rough.

CAShine
Mar 5th, 2011, 08:42 PM
At bare minimum I wash the paint with soap and water. Sometimes I use the Ultimate Wash/Wax between wax applications. I really like the UWW, especially how it smells.