PDA

View Full Version : Will a car cover protect my car?

ReaperX
Nov 26th, 2010, 01:46 AM
Hi guys, i bought a Ford Focus 6 months ago and I dont have room to store it , it stays under the sunlight the entire day

I noticed the heat from the sun is starting to slowly damage some interior details/trim.....so i must act fast before it start looking ugly

Will a good car cover protect my car from the extreme heat? Will it damage my paint? (its a foam lined cover so it wont scratch it, but maybe damage it in any other way?)

Thanks

MikeFord
Nov 29th, 2010, 05:37 PM
Car covers usually help, best to start with a clean and fully protected (wax outside and UV inside) car, and the two enemies are wind and water. Wind can whip the cover, and water under the cover is worse than no cover.

ReaperX
Nov 29th, 2010, 06:06 PM
No problem, theres not much wind where the car is, and the cover i bought is high quality, water will not be able to get through it

When they deliver my cover, i will post here about the results

Mark Kleis
Nov 29th, 2010, 06:18 PM
Just make sure to treat the interior and thoroughly clean and wax the exterior before putting the cover on. Also be sure the cover is tightly secured without play that could flap around.

ColonelCash
Nov 29th, 2010, 08:58 PM
Check out some of the CoverCraft models, they are nice for both inside and outside storage. I believe there are a couple MOL'ers who use the NOAH car cover for exterior storage. Also, they are designed to form fit your car and keeps things from blowing in the wind.

ReaperX
Nov 30th, 2010, 05:38 AM
Colonel at the time you mentioed about covercraft i had already bought the cover, its a domestic brand (from Brazil) looks high quality

I just installed it some minutes ago....i left the windows 2 inches open to help with ventilation, is that right? Thanks

roushstage2
Nov 30th, 2010, 03:50 PM
I leave the windows up. I'd rather put some of that anti-moisture stuff in the car. They sell little tubs of it to put in boats while they are covered up.

ReaperX
Dec 1st, 2010, 05:52 AM
I noticed the cover is scratching my car on the edges....what can i do to make the thing sit still? Thanks

Rick McDonough
Dec 1st, 2010, 06:12 AM
I noticed the cover is scratching my car on the edges....what can i do to make the thing sit still? Thanks

I'd get a good coat of wax on the paint to help buffer things. Also, if it's a car cover that has holes at the bottom sides they make cables that will run through to prevent theft of the cover. This may minimize movement.

ReaperX
Dec 1st, 2010, 09:31 AM
I see, i took a better look, now i think the scratches were already there

Anyway it has the security cable and i installed it now... should be better

ReaperX
Dec 1st, 2010, 10:25 AM
BTW my car's paint is looking lame

In which section could I create a topic with pictures of the damage done to the painting with the years, so I will be able to better recover it?

roushstage2
Dec 1st, 2010, 11:16 AM
Detailing 101...

If you are unsure about any detailing questions, anything, Detailing 101.
Doesn't have to do with detailing? Break Room.

Other than those two, there are sections for specifics.

Fly Bye
Dec 1st, 2010, 11:19 AM
No problem, theres not much wind where the car is...

Taking the cover on & off can have adverse effects. You drive the car, it picks up dirt/debris, you then put the cover on the car, and dirt may possibly instill swirls/scratches. Then you have to remove it again to drive the car...

If you are storing the vehicle inside of a garage, or somewhere sheltered from the wind for longterm, a car cover will work just fine.

If it's a daily driver....

Just sayin

SVT Lightning
Dec 1st, 2010, 11:26 AM
Taking the cover on & off can have adverse effects. You drive the car, it picks up dirt/debris, you then put the cover on the car, and dirt may possibly instill swirls/scratches. Then you have to remove it again to drive the car...

If you are storing the vehicle inside of a garage, or somewhere sheltered from the wind for longterm, a car cover will work just fine.

If it's a daily driver....

Just sayin

:bigups

ReaperX
Dec 2nd, 2010, 02:41 AM
Its a daily driver.....but what should i do? The garage is not covered and the sun was destroying the interior

roushstage2
Dec 2nd, 2010, 08:11 AM
Sunshield and tinted side windows?

ReaperX
Dec 2nd, 2010, 08:16 AM
The high intensity heat/sunlight wont damage the paint ?

roushstage2
Dec 2nd, 2010, 09:36 AM
That's why you wax it, and keep it waxed. I'm not against a car cover, trust me. I use one, well two on the same car, almost half the year. I'm just trying to give you other options. There is an "evil" to each option, either way.

ReaperX
Dec 2nd, 2010, 05:23 PM
Lol i laughed hard when you said "well two of them"

I see what you mean......so if i keep the car waxed the sun wont be a problem to the paint?

roushstage2
Dec 2nd, 2010, 10:16 PM
lol, I do use two though!

The point of wax is to protect the paint from the elements, so if it has a good layer of wax on it, it should be fine? Go with a synthetic like NXT 2.0. Synthetics can withstand higher temperatures.

ReaperX
Dec 3rd, 2010, 02:07 AM
Thanks for helping

Still gonna think about it, maybe i can build a roof to store the car, meanwhile i will keep using the cover, thanks