PDA

View Full Version : Calm my leather worries

Rick
Feb 9th, 2005, 07:24 PM
Alright here's the deal. I just inhereted a set of some very custom leather seats for my car. A friend is selling his and leather just doesn't fit the theme of the car so it's easier for him to sell with the stock interior so we swapped. I now have some very nice and thick 100% leather (not leather/vinyl) seats. They're made by Katzkin and to my understanding were a custom deal. The leather is not clear coated.

Anyways they hadn't been treated in a couple of months so I cleaned with some APC and used Detailer leather cleaner and conditioner on them. They sucked it up and are now really nice. I had mentioned that and was shunned by the previous owner saying that Katzkin recommends only using Lexol on their covers, and thats all that had been used on them to this point, and they're in great shape after I think some 30,000 + miles of use.

So can anyone calm my fears of not using the recommended lexol on them? They're going to be experiencing a brutal summer again soon and there's no way I'm letting these seats dry up and crack on my watch. Convince me to go against manufacturers recommendations.

Tom MacDonald
Feb 10th, 2005, 08:38 AM
Great question. Meguiar's makes a product called Gold Class Aloe Conditioner. This product would be an excellent choice for these seats. This product is just a conditioner with no cleaners. Simply apply the product to a sponge or applicator. Allow it to absorb into the applicator, then work it gently but thoroughly into the leather. The nice thing about this product is that it does not leave the surface with that tacky feel to it like Lexol.

As for cleaning the seats. If they stay really clean, just wipe them down with a warm moist towel followed by a dry towel before using a conditioner. If you do use a cleaner make certain that it is diluted down and I would test on panels first, since there is no coating on this leather.

Hope this helps you in your decision.

Regards,

Tom

the other pc
Feb 10th, 2005, 09:06 AM
Lexol is a fine product but it's not magic. They don't have an exclusive pact with all the cows of the world promising their hides will only accept Lexol.

I would expect that the upholstery company's endorsement is based on positive experience with Lexol and little interest in spending time trying the multitudes of other products out there. (It's possible they have a business arrangement of some kind as well.)

It's not uncommon for consumers to reinterpret practical suggestions into gospel truths. I wouldn't worry about it.

PC.

TOGWT
Feb 10th, 2005, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by the other pc
Lexol is a fine product but it's not magic. They don't have an exclusive pact with all the cows of the world promising their hides will only accept Lexol.

I would expect that the upholstery company's endorsement is based on positive experience with Lexol and little interest in spending time trying the multitudes of other products out there. (It's possible they have a business arrangement of some kind as well.)

It's not uncommon for consumers to reinterpret practical suggestions into gospel truths. I wouldn't worry about it.

PC.

:xyxthumbs

Ditto 'because its in the owners manual that's the one and only to use. Like all products , depending on who you listen too some are good and some not so good.

What's that quote now, " Find something you like..."

JonM

Rick
Feb 10th, 2005, 06:01 PM
Alright thanks guys. That makes me fell better. I kinda caught myself feeling the passenger seat today, they really got softer after using the leather conditioner on them (the Meguiar's detailer stuff). I think I'll stick with it, I have proven this friend wrong in the past.

Don
Feb 11th, 2005, 06:47 AM
The thing with LEXOL is that it has been around forever and it is widely recognised as being a quality product for cleaning/treating leather. There are many good quality products out there, but since LEXOL is so widely known, most people will recommend it and not "risk" trying something new.

I have used the Meguiar's Gold Class Rich Leather Aloe Cleaner on my sister in law's Buick Park Avenue and followed it up with the Gold Class Rich Leather Aloe Cleaner & Conditioner (yes they were that dirty) and the seats came out beautifully. The visual difference was amazing and the leather was much softer than before. I only wish I would have had the dedicated conditioner because the leather had been so neglected prior to my detailing the car.

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/14trayce_buick_010-med.jpg
http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/14trayce_buick_009-med.jpg

Danny45
Feb 17th, 2005, 10:41 AM
Good stuff! I have a question though. What's the possibility of getting the leather "too soft" and have it start tearing at the stitching? Is this a concern?

TOGWT
Feb 17th, 2005, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Danny45
Good stuff! I have a question though. What's the possibility of getting the leather "too soft" and have it start tearing at the stitching? Is this a concern?

Do not use- Saddle soap (it's made to clean an entirely different type of leather), abrasive cleaners, furniture leather polish (they contain a wax), products that contain harsh solvent s or alcohol, as they will cause the stitching to fray and eventually break, petroleum distillate, bleach or ammonia based products. While you can use leather products on vinyl, you should not use vinyl products on leather.
JonM