PDA

View Full Version : Meguiar's Odor Elimator Usage

Carl
Feb 10th, 2005, 02:15 PM
Hello there!

I happily use Meg's Odor Eliminator in my vehicles and enjoy the fresh scent, and how it fades after a couple hours leaving no scent-taking the odors with it.

But one of my vehicles, when the fans start to blow, some of the smell comes back. Obviously there's something in the vents, so I was wondering if the Odor Eliminator could be sprayed into the vents some way, or should I look to another specialized product for this?

Thanks
Carl

Tom MacDonald
Feb 10th, 2005, 02:21 PM
You could spray this product into the vents. I would not use a heavy amount of it. Just one or two pumps should do it.!!:xyxthumbs

Rick
Feb 10th, 2005, 05:43 PM
If it's a newer vehicle I would bet money it's the cabin air filter that are in most newer vehicles now. Trust me, figure out how to change it and if it requires more than 1 filter being replaced replace them all. They do a good job of trapping pollen and the like, but they can trap scents as well.

romulus
Feb 11th, 2005, 08:19 AM
I have to assume that you are using your windshield defrost. Believe it or not, modern cars turn on their A/C system when you use the defrost. Some of them the A/C light will turn on and you can over ride it. Others does not indicate at all but you can hear the A/c compresson cycling. The reason is that they rely on the A/C dry air to defrost/defog your windshield. If you rely on hot air, will do the same but because the moisture still inside, it will fog up again once the defrost is turned off.

With this info, I bet the smell comming from the vent is due to the condensation from the cooling coil. And with pollen and bateria will produce the smell. So my suggestion is to set your system in vent only (no air recirculation) and heater on a few minutes before your drive. That will dry up the cooling coil. So no more moisture, therefore no more smell. By the way this is even more effective during summer since we thed to use the A/c more often.

DSG Man
Feb 11th, 2005, 09:44 AM
In addition to cabin foilters, many manufacturers also recommend leaving the vents in an open position even when the car is turned off. Perhaps it helps prevent the buildup of odors or what causes some of them.