PDA

View Full Version : meguiars pc pads (failure) again

jays
Apr 1st, 2004, 09:00 AM
this is just an ongoing problem, i ordered some pads for my pc in january and i have about
1 cutting
1 polishing
1 finishing

i had problems with the velcro coming off, i called them and they sent me new ones which i am appreciative for but now the new ones are coming off too. whats up with this i dont wash them in the washer, i wash them by hand and wring them out from there so if they do continue to fail what sort of glue can i use so they done come off. & to be honest im trying to run a pt business so pad failure is not a good thing in the middle of a detail.:mad:

thanks

Reflections
Apr 1st, 2004, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by jays
this is just an ongoing problem, i ordered some pads for my pc in january and i have about
1 cutting
1 polishing
1 finishing

i had problems with the velcro coming off, i called them and they sent me new ones which i am appreciative for but now the new ones are coming off too. whats up with this i dont wash them in the washer, i wash them by hand and wring them out from there so if they do continue to fail what sort of glue can i use so they done come off. & to be honest im trying to run a pt business so pad failure is not a good thing in the middle of a detail.:mad:

thanks

after i rinse the pads I use the rotary to dry'em out. i don't like to wring them, maybe that's the cause. i know what you mean, when something breaks or fails in the middle of a job.

Mike Phillips
Apr 1st, 2004, 09:11 AM
Hi jays,

What speed are you running the PC at?

When does the velcro come unglued?

What are you washing the pads with?

Mike

jays
Apr 1st, 2004, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by Mike Phillips
Hi jays,

What speed are you running the PC at?

When does the velcro come unglued?

What are you washing the pads with?

Mike

i run the pc
polishing @ 5.5
Finishing @3-4

the velcro comes unglued when i have to constantly change pads for different procedures. i do a couple of cars a day and i make sure to pull them real light i dont remove them by pulling from the top, so i get my finger inbewteen the pad and the velcro and remove it like that .
i wash them in the sink with dawn and a scrub brush then agitate them then rinse and eithe wring them or let them dry on their own. ive also notice the 8.5 pads dont do this and i wash them all the same way

rjstaaf
Apr 1st, 2004, 10:42 AM
What backing plate are you using?? I have both the Meguiars backing plate and one from CMA. Although both backing plates hold the pad on just fine, the CMA backing plate has a much tougher grip and could cause the velcro to seperate.

jays
Apr 1st, 2004, 11:04 AM
i have the one that came with it from coastal tool

rjstaaf
Apr 1st, 2004, 11:15 AM
I am not familiar with that one. Are the pads fairly hard to remove? The Meguiars backing plate holds the pads pretty well during use but, it does not have a lot of resistance when you go to pull the pad off.

Mike Phillips
Apr 1st, 2004, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by jays
i run the pc
polishing @ 5.5
Finishing @3-4

the Velcro comes unglued when i have to constantly change pads for different procedures. i do a couple of cars a day and i make sure to pull them real light I don’t remove them by pulling from the top, so i get my finger in-between the pad and the Velcro and remove it like that .
i wash them in the sink with dawn and a scrub brush then agitate them then rinse and either wring them or let them dry on their own. I’ve also notice the 8.5 pads don’t do this and i wash them all the same way

Hi jays,

Meguiar's has switched to a new adhesive recently, it could be you have still received pads with the previous adhesive.

I don't know how to tell where the new pads are in the pipeline but I'll forward this to someone in Customer Care and see if they can help.

Meguiar's does not recommend washing the pad although the adhesive is water-proof.

I know what your experiencing you're doing to cars a day. Part of the problem with the all foam pads used on PC's is that because of the oscillating/jiggling action of the PC, product tends to be impacted up into the pad where as when these pads are used on a rotary buffer, because of the rotating action, product tends to sling or move out of the pad.

Meguiar's is aware of these issues and is working towards a better solution.

Mike

jays
Apr 1st, 2004, 12:42 PM
the pads they sent out for me the 1st time were supposed to be the newer versions but they seem to be the same.

CHzo6
Apr 8th, 2004, 05:16 PM
I just had the same pad failure. The polishing pad velcro backing is peeling off after only the 2nd use with it. Are these polishing pads gauranteed or anything?
Thanks

GO UMAINE HOCKEY

rusty bumper
Apr 8th, 2004, 06:00 PM
I just received 2 new pads myself, but I haven't used them yet...All of my older Meg's pads have held up ok...so far.

gb387
Apr 8th, 2004, 07:28 PM
I have had fairly good luck with all my pads, I have been washing them by hand and no problems. I am starting to see one of my finishing pads backing starting to loosen it is the oldest at 1 1/2 years old and its been used countless times... so, I have gotten my $$$ worth out of it. Over all I have been pleased with the performance off the 6.5" meguiars pads.

iceburgh
Apr 8th, 2004, 08:21 PM
If you run at a high speed you will build up heat in the pads....not enough to burn the paint but enough to loosen the glue.

Deanski
Sep 13th, 2004, 05:24 AM
I also have two pads : 8006 9006 (polishing/finishing) and they must be the old ones as I just washed these in my pad washer and the velcro came off on both. Solution was APC+ 4:1.

I've washed all my pads (Meguiars. Lake, Schlegel and SM Arnolrd) but never had a velcro failure with other mfg pads, only the Meguiars failed.

Who do we contact/email on how to get replacements on these pads?

Thanking you in advance,

Deanski
Dr. Shine

Deanski
Sep 13th, 2004, 05:24 AM
I also have two pads : 8006 9006 (polishing/finishing) and they must be the old ones as I just washed these in my pad washer and the velcro came off on both. Solution was APC+ 4:1.

I've washed all my pads (Meguiars. Lake, Schlegel and SM Arnolrd) but never had a velcro failure with other mfg pads, only the Meguiars failed.

Who do we contact/email on how to get replacements on these pads?

Thanking you in advance,

Deanski
Dr. Shine

Zitosonic
Sep 13th, 2004, 06:45 AM
Originally posted by Mike Phillips
Hi jays,

Meguiar's does not recommend washing the pad although the adhesive is water-proof.

Mike, do this apply also to the 8" pads ? How can i determine if the adhesive is water-proof?

JG_Detailing
Sep 13th, 2004, 06:46 AM
The pad's I have I wash them in plan water. I wring them out and let them air dry. The velcro hasn't come unglued yet.

scrub
Sep 13th, 2004, 05:43 PM
I've had good luck with using a nylon brush and very light stream of water to remove the left over product. I then take a few towels, lay a pad flat across the towel and lightly press down to remove any water that was absorbed in the pad. The light water stream helps minimize the water absorbed into the pad. I allow them to air dry with velcro up for a few hours then flip velcro down.

Hope this helps. Sorry to hear about the pad failures your having...

Quick question how does one wring out their pads?? Similar as described above?