PDA

View Full Version : Hot Rims Brake Dust Barrier

Michael Stoops
Oct 11th, 2011, 12:15 PM
Hot Rims Brake Dust Barrier
http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/data/1910/BrkDstBarrier_R1.gif

Product attributes:

Truly lasts on wheels
Works on painted, chrome and polished aluminum wheels
Makes wheels easier to clean
Outperforms existing wheel protectants
Part Number: G15009
Size: 9 ounce
MSRP: $9.99

Made with a special formula, this product is designed to cling to wheels, creating a barrier between the rims' surface and debris. Hot Rims Brake Dust Barrier allows dirt and grime to fall-off with a quick rinse, making it easier and faster for owners to detail them during future car care sessions.

Application is as simple as spraying a light coating on a clean, dry surface and allowing it to dry thoroughly. Hot Rims Brake Dust Barrier can be applied to painted, polished aluminum and chrome wheels - without clouding the surface or giving a dulled down appearance - making it one of the most versatile wheel products on the market.

PhantomMagician
Oct 31st, 2011, 08:19 AM
gotta get this ^^ ...

ethereal45
Oct 31st, 2011, 08:34 AM
Cool, will definitely pick this one up. I hate cleaning wheels.

Shawn T.
Oct 31st, 2011, 08:39 AM
Yay!

BillyJack
Oct 31st, 2011, 09:14 AM
Looks like a winner!
Bill

Michael Stoops
Oct 31st, 2011, 09:37 AM
This is a very interesting product. We make no claims whatsoever that it will "repel" brake dust and keep your wheels clean all by itself. But what it does do is make it really hard for anything to stick to the wheels so clean up is super easy. And it won't just wash off the first time you wash the wheels, either. It actually sticks around through several washings. And it will not cloud up your chrome or aluminum wheels like some other, similar products do. If your idea about being picky with your wheels means more than just keeping them clean - you also want them to look they way they should when they are clean - then you should check out this product.

Marine Toys
Oct 31st, 2011, 09:41 AM
Wow , Im looking forward to using this product

Dont shoot me. this was my initial reaction to the package
But... If I may be critical...
the packaging sure looks very similar to Amor all.
Might be a little confusing if sitting on a Walmart shelf side by side
http://www.armorall.com/products/view_product.php?product_id=33&main_group=3&category_index=wheel

Shawn T.
Oct 31st, 2011, 10:00 AM
Now you're just making a poor college kid poorer!

davey g-force
Oct 31st, 2011, 11:53 AM
Hmm, you have my attention...

79elcamino
Oct 31st, 2011, 12:08 PM
Let's say I have wax on my wheels should I remove it before applying this product? Also after applying this product can I still wax my wheels?

Michael Stoops
Oct 31st, 2011, 12:14 PM
Let's say I have wax on my wheels should I remove it before applying this product? Also after applying this product can I still wax my wheels?Yes on both counts, although you really shouldn't need to wax after using this as it is so effective at what it does - making clean up a piece of cake.

Bjkearns
Oct 31st, 2011, 12:16 PM
Is this a durable synthetic "wax" meant to take abuse from grime and heat in a aerosol form?

What is the estimated "life" of this product?

I may know someone with a BMW that throws TONS of dust who would be willing to be the test monkey...

Michael Stoops
Oct 31st, 2011, 12:48 PM
Joseph, it's not a wax but rather a clear spray coating. Lifespan, as always, is going to depend on what's used to clean it, but even Hot Rims All Wheel Cleaner doesn't remove it after a couple of applications. Remember now, we aren't saying that if you apply to half a wheel that half will remain clean while the other half gets dirty with brake dust and road grime. But if you spray half a wheel you'll notice that half cleans up much easier and beads water like crazy.

scanlessfool
Oct 31st, 2011, 01:54 PM
Awesome!

Buck91
Oct 31st, 2011, 03:24 PM
What does this offer over a quality sealant like tech2.0 or UPW?

Michael Stoops
Oct 31st, 2011, 03:49 PM
What does this offer over a quality sealant like tech2.0 or UPW?Waxes and sealants are easily broken down by heat and wheel cleaners and generally need to be reapplied every time you clean the wheels. Brake Dust Barrier acts sort of like a new clear coat with an extreme hydrophobic and non stick component (no, it's not PTFE) and it will hold up through multiple washings. And it just does a far, far better job of preventing braked dust from sticking to the wheels.

79elcamino
Oct 31st, 2011, 04:25 PM
Does it have any uv blockers?

Can I use this on my paint calipers and powder coated drums?

What if I get some of this product on my brake rotor?

I have after market rims but they have clear coated, if I use this product will this protect them fading ad kee always looking new or is cleaning then waxing them a better choice?

Michael Stoops
Oct 31st, 2011, 04:56 PM
No UV blockers that I'm aware of, and that's outside the design intent of the product. This is not a wheel wax or something intended to behave like wax on your paint. It is a spray on, let dry coating that repels contaminants very effectively. Getting on brake calipers or drums should not be a problem in the slightest - I've sprayed it on my aftermarket wheels that have painted spokes and polished lips with a full clear coat and had zero issues of any kind. We've used this on factory wheels, bare aluminum, chrome, multi-piece, you name it. You're bound to get some on the rotors when you spray it but applying the brakes as you back out of the driveway is enough to take that completely off. Just don't expect this to prevent wheels from fading due to sun exposure.

79elcamino
Oct 31st, 2011, 06:56 PM
Just don't expect this to prevent wheels from fading due to sun exposure.

thats really what i wanted to know, better to use wax to help prevent that.

DRT BRD
Oct 31st, 2011, 08:07 PM
What type of wheel cleaners do you recommend to prolong the life of this?

Currently using Sonax Full Effect and Chemical Guys Diablo Wheel Gel.

thescreensavers
Oct 31st, 2011, 08:32 PM
Awesome, I cant way to try this :)

Does this product in anyway enhance the look of rims? Or is it simply a clear barrier for the rims?

Ultraman
Oct 31st, 2011, 08:52 PM
If dust accumuoates on rims treated with BD Barrier, can you just flush them out with water?

jezz12
Oct 31st, 2011, 09:39 PM
this is interesting:cool:

Michael Stoops
Nov 1st, 2011, 05:42 PM
What type of wheel cleaners do you recommend to prolong the life of this?

Currently using Sonax Full Effect and Chemical Guys Diablo Wheel Gel.That's the beauty of this product - a very mild cleaner, like soap and water, is generally all you really need once this is applied.

Does this product in anyway enhance the look of rims? Or is it simply a clear barrier for the rims?While it won't necessarily enhance the appearance, unlike similar products it won't detract from the appearance either.

If dust accumuoates on rims treated with BD Barrier, can you just flush them out with water?Pretty much, yep. Even some fairly heavy brake dust can be usually be removed with very little effort.

LMacdonald
Nov 1st, 2011, 06:49 PM
Hey, Mike... I am looking forward to try this product. My wife has a BMW and the amount of brake dust that this car produces is unbelievable.. It has 20,000 miles and I am surprised the brake pads have not worn out.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

seckinb
Nov 2nd, 2011, 11:52 AM
I'm especially keen to try this one. It has always been a nuisance to apply wax to the rims and see it all gone in a wash.

BlueZero
Nov 3rd, 2011, 09:22 AM
I remember getting to test out a product like this a few years ago. While I'm sure it's a different formula the stuff I tried worked great. In fact it lasted for over a year till I sold my Jeep. Heck, It's probably still on there. lol

I'll have to make a new cardboard cut out for my rims so I don't get too much on the tires. :)

Bjkearns
Nov 3rd, 2011, 11:41 AM
How many wheels is a can typically good for?
obviously wheels vary alot from 10"mini cooper to 30"donk stuff
I am thinking standard 15"-18"

Also can this product be layered to any added value/gain in protection?

Michael Stoops
Nov 3rd, 2011, 11:47 AM
How many wheels is a can typically good for?
obviously wheels vary alot from 10"mini cooper to 30"donk stuff
I am thinking standard 15"-18"

Also can this product be layered to any added value/gain in protection?You should be able to coat all four wheels a few times so a can should last quite a while. Nothing to be gained by layering or applying multiple coats though

Bjkearns
Nov 3rd, 2011, 11:54 AM
Thank you sir
I am looking forward to trying this product

If this product is as good as I hope it is, it should come in the glove box of every German car

saturn2
Nov 3rd, 2011, 07:33 PM
That's Truth wheel dust on a German car looks like somebody literately came over and spray painted your wheels.

STRIFE
Nov 3rd, 2011, 07:52 PM
Sounds like something I would like in my arsenal.

Currently I use Megs Brightener 4:1, spray on let sit for 45 secs, then hose off. I then use APC+ at 10:1 on the wheels, but I use a brush to agitate, then hose off. This routine work great for me, but I wash my wheels quite regularly. And I have a lot of Megs stuff...& I don't detail on the side (for $$$)....guess I just want to use up my supplies.
I'm hopeful that once I apply this brake dust barrier...I can skip the APC+ step in my routine.

Bet99ty00
Nov 3rd, 2011, 08:26 PM
Cool, will definitely pick this one up. I hate cleaning wheels.
http://www.mboxmusic.info/jh2.jpg
http://www.mboxmusic.info/2.jpg

Marc08EX
Nov 4th, 2011, 09:25 PM
Waxes and sealants are easily broken down by heat and wheel cleaners and generally need to be reapplied every time you clean the wheels. Brake Dust Barrier acts sort of like a new clear coat with an extreme hydrophobic and non stick component (no, it's not PTFE) and it will hold up through multiple washings. And it just does a far, far better job of preventing braked dust from sticking to the wheels.

Based on this statement, why can't we just use this product on our paint? Sorry if it sounds like a very stupid question since its intended application is for the wheels. This might not add gloss to the paint but if the paint is properly polished and prepped then there's really no need for an additional gloss. If this product can withstand the heat from the brakes of the car (when waxes can't) then it should last forever when exposed under the sun. If you want to add more gloss then top it off with UQW or something.

This sounds like a non-permanent opti-coat.

davey g-force
Nov 6th, 2011, 12:10 PM
^^ Yes, I was thinking the same thing..

PhantomMagician
Nov 6th, 2011, 08:48 PM
So no need for MAG and aluminum polish to protect the wheel after using this ?
if i use it, what should i apply first ? thanks Mike :)

Alfisti
Nov 7th, 2011, 06:50 AM
Opti Coat lasts forever on wheels.

I've retired my Michelin wheel coating.

imz4n
Nov 7th, 2011, 09:07 AM
Looks like something to add to the lineup, BMW'S enough said. LOL

STRIFE
Nov 7th, 2011, 09:21 AM
^ lol....I have 2 friends who recently picked up new M3s......i'll be sure to tell them about this product

wifpd4
Nov 11th, 2011, 09:25 AM
This product becomes available mid winter. I pull the car inside, remove the wheels, clean them, make sure they are room temperature, coat them, and reinstall them. What is the drying (curing?) time of the Barrier before I head back out into the snow, ice and salt? Or is the Barrier more of a spring, summer, and fall product for those of us in the winter wonderland?

Michael Stoops
Nov 14th, 2011, 01:37 PM
So no need for MAG and aluminum polish to protect the wheel after using this ?
if i use it, what should i apply first ? thanks Mike :)Well, Mag & Alum Polish doesn't offer any protection, it just brings the shine back to dulled bare aluminum. So you'd want to use that first to restore the original appearance of the wheel, then coat it with Hot Rims Brake Dust Barrier for protection and easy clean up next time around.

This product becomes available mid winter. I pull the car inside, remove the wheels, clean them, make sure they are room temperature, coat them, and reinstall them. What is the drying (curing?) time of the Barrier before I head back out into the snow, ice and salt? Or is the Barrier more of a spring, summer, and fall product for those of us in the winter wonderland?Sounds like a great plan, David, and the product dries in a matter of minutes. If you pull all four wheels off at the same time, clean 'em all up and coat them with this, you should be just fine to install them on the car right away. It will be dry by the time you put things away and/or the customer arrives to take delivery.

Michael Stoops
Nov 18th, 2011, 08:52 AM
Based on this statement, why can't we just use this product on our paint? Sorry if it sounds like a very stupid question since its intended application is for the wheels. This might not add gloss to the paint but if the paint is properly polished and prepped then there's really no need for an additional gloss. If this product can withstand the heat from the brakes of the car (when waxes can't) then it should last forever when exposed under the sun. If you want to add more gloss then top it off with UQW or something.

This sounds like a non-permanent opti-coat.

While in theory there may be some merit to this, the real problem would come from the sprayer on the bottle. It was chosen to give a fairly narrow spray pattern so that it's easier to control when spraying onto wheels. If you tried to lay this down uniformly and evenly over a flat area the size of a hood, or even a fender, odds are with that spray pattern you'd end up seeing some banding or other unevenness. Then there are issues with proper paint prep prior to applying something like this, overspray issues on trim, etc. Sure, you might find a few guys out there with the skill to lay down a nice, uniform coating on the whole car with this sprayer, but for the vast majority of people it would be an exercise in frustration culminating in phone calls to our CCC asking for a way to take it all off. We wouldn't be shocked to find someone experimenting with this, but we highly discourage anyone from attempting it.

Marc08EX
Nov 18th, 2011, 09:00 AM
While in theory there may be some merit to this, the real problem would come from the sprayer on the bottle. It was chosen to give a fairly narrow spray pattern so that it's easier to control when spraying onto wheels. If you tried to lay this down uniformly and evenly over a flat area the size of a hood, or even a fender, odds are with that spray pattern you'd end up seeing some banding or other unevenness. Then there are issues with proper paint prep prior to applying something like this, overspray issues on trim, etc. Sure, you might find a few guys out there with the skill to lay down a nice, uniform coating on the whole car with this sprayer, but for the vast majority of people it would be an exercise in frustration culminating in phone calls to our CCC asking for a way to take it all off. We wouldn't be shocked to find someone experimenting with this, but we highly discourage anyone from attempting it.

So if the problem is in the application, then maybe one can try spraying the chemical in a foam applicator pad and then apply it to the paint? If one applies this very thinly then it should evaporate rather quickly. I'm sure users will be conscious of this because of the possible "high spots".

Interesting.......

Thanks so much for your response Mike!

Michael Stoops
Nov 18th, 2011, 09:36 AM
Well, if a product is designed to be sprayed on then there are certain "carrier ingredients" that allow it to perform properly. Those same ingredients may not work so well if you were to try to wipe it on. The product hasn't been tested for that sort of application because it's just not intended to be used that way. When a product is designed to be wiped on, like our M188 Deep Crystal Coating that we offer in the Asia-Pacific market, or products like Opti-Coat and similar coatings, that wipe on process is part of the design of the product so it is formulated to self level. That same consideration isn't necessarily given to a spray on product as the delivery of product to surface is vastly different.

Again, we do not recommend using the product in this way and will discourage people from doing so.

Marc08EX
Nov 18th, 2011, 10:05 AM
Thanks Mike. :)

Buck91
Nov 18th, 2011, 01:51 PM
I don't even have any interest in using this for any "black label" purposes but the answers provided here still beg the question "Given proper application, would this product offer potential as a paint protection?"

Sorry just devil advocating... Seems you've been pretty clear thats not the design nor intent.

Michael Stoops
Nov 18th, 2011, 01:56 PM
It would offer paint protection in the sense that it's really hard for anything to stick to it. It doesn't offer any UV protection, nor does it provide any sort of scratch resistance. So, yes, there is protection in a sense.

ffboy
Dec 6th, 2011, 08:18 PM
Yup, brake dust is terrible with german cars. This would come in real handy! And you don't have to drive too far to get a sufficient amount of dust on the wheels. Imagine the dust that get trapped on more complex wheels like on e34 bmw's that are a real pain to get off when allowed to bake in for some reason. I would love to have this.. even on euro focus, which also dusts alot i think the bmw's brakes and the euro focus's brakes are from the same manufacturer. ATe i think.. i think both use NAO pads.

STRIFE
Dec 15th, 2011, 08:03 PM
I just ordered a can from AG!!!!!!! Cannot wait to try it!!!

http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-brake-dust-barrier.html

Marc08EX
Dec 15th, 2011, 08:11 PM
Oooooooooo they're available already?!?! NICE!!!

Thanks for posting that.

STRIFE
Dec 15th, 2011, 09:44 PM
lol ^^ no problem....AG has FREE SHIPPING and NO minimums for the next couple of days!!

Murr1525
Dec 20th, 2011, 06:21 AM
Mike, what would be the way to apply this?

Does it need any sort of wiping/spreading, or the sprayer is able to get it spread out past/behind the spokes well enough?

Michael Stoops
Dec 20th, 2011, 08:05 AM
Application is very straightforward: clean and dry the wheel at the very minimum (if you want to clay the wheels you certainly can) and then simply spray the product onto the surface and let it dry. It really is pretty much the same process as using a rattle can spray paint, really. That includes applying it sparingly so as to avoid any runs or drips. If you want to coat the inside of the wheels too, then you're probably best off removing the wheels, cleaning the back side, and then applying the product. Shooting through the spokes to reach the back of the wheel is probably not a good idea as you'll just never get a thorough, even application that way.

Murr1525
Dec 20th, 2011, 08:13 AM
Not sure what it is called, but I was thinking of the 'barrel' part of the wheel, not the actual back of the spokes. But I think that is what you were saying.

Buck91
Dec 20th, 2011, 09:06 AM
Got a can on order from AG to try as well. You can really just spray this on and not worry about overspray on the rotor and pads? I made that mistake with some bike polish from Finish Line before and have to hit my rotors with isopropyl and fine sandpaper as well as replace the pads! :eek:

Of course, that was totally different stuff, mroe like a ****** frame wax, but still I want to be safe!

STRIFE
Dec 20th, 2011, 10:46 AM
Since all my vehicles have separate sets of winter wheels/tires....it works great, as i plan on treating my wheels prior to mounting onto the vehicle.

Mr Stoops, would using Wheel Brightener regularly strip away the barrier spray? To be honest, I don't think I need this product since my wheels are washed soooo regularly....but since I'm a car nut, and love Megs stuff....I just wanna try it :) (i should be receiving my can in a few days from AG...along with my bottle of Megs headlight protectant)

Murr1525
Dec 20th, 2011, 11:05 AM
I am wondering how the Brake Barrier washed with some UW&W in a bucket/spray bottle might work out, as opposed to my usual coating of nothing and Aluminum Wheel Wash each time.

Michael Stoops
Dec 20th, 2011, 01:03 PM
Not sure what it is called, but I was thinking of the 'barrel' part of the wheel, not the actual back of the spokes. But I think that is what you were saying.Yes, that's exactly what I was talking about.

Got a can on order from AG to try as well. You can really just spray this on and not worry about overspray on the rotor and pads? I made that mistake with some bike polish from Finish Line before and have to hit my rotors with isopropyl and fine sandpaper as well as replace the pads! :eek:

Of course, that was totally different stuff, mroe like a ****** frame wax, but still I want to be safe!We have yet to see any sort of issue with the rotors or calipers, certainly not the pads, when spraying this onto a wheel. Sure, there's going to be over spray onto the rotors when applying to wheels mounted on the car, but even a light application of the brakes while backing out of the garage will take it off.

Since all my vehicles have separate sets of winter wheels/tires....it works great, as i plan on treating my wheels prior to mounting onto the vehicle.

Mr Stoops, would using Wheel Brightener regularly strip away the barrier spray? To be honest, I don't think I need this product since my wheels are washed soooo regularly....but since I'm a car nut, and love Megs stuff....I just wanna try it :) (i should be receiving my can in a few days from AG...along with my bottle of Megs headlight protectant)Regular use of Wheel Brightener may, in time, remove it. But I can tell you that several applications of Hot Rims All Wheel Cleaner have not taken it off the test area on my wheels. I can still see the line where I masked off the wheels so that I could apply it to just half the wheel for testing.

I am wondering how the Brake Barrier washed with some UW&W in a bucket/spray bottle might work out, as opposed to my usual coating of nothing and Aluminum Wheel Wash each time.It does a great job at preventing brake dust and road grime from sticking to the wheels. If you're looking for a good spray on cleaning program for your wheels, give the new Ultimate Wash & Wax Anywhere a go. But really, if you use this product on your wheels they should clean up with just soap and water very easily.

atikovi
Dec 26th, 2011, 09:16 AM
I posted a question in the 101 forum and was directed to this message. Looks like this is what I need. I spent a few hours cleaning the inside of these old Mercedes wheels. My question there was,

"Is there anything you can spray on that would prevent brake dust from sticking? I used Ultimate on the smooth areas but you can't apply that in the intricate places."

Looks like this is made just for that. Should I use this over the entire inside of the wheels or can I use Ultimate on the easy to apply smooth parts of the wheel and use this on the hub area? Will the Ultimate prevent the brake dust from sticking as well as this new stuff?

http://www.fototime.com/57C4E69242B9D6F/standard.jpg

TJPark01
Dec 26th, 2011, 10:15 AM
Very interested to see how this performs against Armor All Wheel Protectant. The Armor All works very well, but it's not perfect. For BMW owners a product like this is makes wheel cleaning a lot less painful. I'll have to give it the Pepsi challenge.

ntm
Dec 27th, 2011, 09:48 AM
Hi, How often do we need to spray this? every 1 month, 6 mos? or it stays forever? :D

roushstage2
Dec 28th, 2011, 02:53 AM
Ah, so this is what became of "XP4-67A" way back in the day! I could use a can of this for the Hawk pads on my cars!

atikovi
Dec 28th, 2011, 01:47 PM
Ah, so this is what became of "XP4-67A" way back in the day!

Way back in the day? Your profile says you're 24. What's way back for a 24 year old? 2008? Never mind. When will this stuff hit the chain stores? Advance, Auto Zone, Pep Boys? I hate to spend another $7-$8 just for shipping one can.

dtuna42
Dec 28th, 2011, 09:52 PM
I am thinking this may be a good alternative for all the people who use masking tape on their lower quarter panels to keep drag radial shrapnel from sticking to paint

roushstage2
Dec 31st, 2011, 02:24 PM
Way back in the day? Your profile says you're 24. What's way back for a 24 year old? 2008? Never mind. When will this stuff hit the chain stores? Advance, Auto Zone, Pep Boys? I hate to spend another $7-$8 just for shipping one can.
It's a figure of speech. XP4-67A was sent out years ago. I've been on MOL since I was about, what, 17 or 18 years old (the forum has changed a couple of times, and everyone had to re-register back in 2005; hence the 2005 registration date)? So yeah, it's been some time.

79elcamino
Jan 2nd, 2012, 02:24 PM
lets say i washed and waxed my rims today and then i spray this brake dust barrier on my rims, does the wax effect anything, will it still protect against uv rays and stuff, will it still bead, will the brake dust barrier still work? what if i spray brake dust barrier first then wax or lets say i sprayed brake dust barrier today and in 2-3 days i wax my rims?

atikovi
Jan 2nd, 2012, 02:42 PM
I don't think you can do both. If you wax the wheel first, barrier won't stick to it. If you apply barrier first, wax won't stick to that.

Michael Stoops
Jan 3rd, 2012, 09:16 AM
I posted a question in the 101 forum and was directed to this message. Looks like this is what I need. I spent a few hours cleaning the inside of these old Mercedes wheels. My question there was,

"Is there anything you can spray on that would prevent brake dust from sticking? I used Ultimate on the smooth areas but you can't apply that in the intricate places."

Looks like this is made just for that. Should I use this over the entire inside of the wheels or can I use Ultimate on the easy to apply smooth parts of the wheel and use this on the hub area? Will the Ultimate prevent the brake dust from sticking as well as this new stuff?

http://www.fototime.com/57C4E69242B9D6F/standard.jpg

That is a perfect use for this product, but we'd suggest applying it before applying any wax or sealant to the other areas.

Very interested to see how this performs against Armor All Wheel Protectant. The Armor All works very well, but it's not perfect. For BMW owners a product like this is makes wheel cleaning a lot less painful. I'll have to give it the Pepsi challenge.In many situations the AA product tends to leave a bit of a cloudy appearance, chrome being probably the most noticeable situation. Hot Rims Brake Dust Barrier won't cloud up the finish, and will outlast the competing product.

Hi, How often do we need to spray this? every 1 month, 6 mos? or it stays forever? :DAs with everything in this hobby, a lot depends on what the wheels are exposed to and how you clean them. The nastier the exposure (road salt in Michigan versus warm sunshine in California) and the more aggressive the cleaning (Wheel Brightener versus soap and water) the shorter the life expectancy of the product. Expect somewhere between a couple of months and a year, depending on use. Just keep in mind that "year" part is for a car used lightly, washed gently, etc. We are NOT saying that this is a once a year product!!!!

Ah, so this is what became of "XP4-67A" way back in the day! I could use a can of this for the Hawk pads on my cars!As a beta tester of that product you know what it's capable of. Hot Rims Brake Dust Barrier is an advanced evolution of that beta test product.

Way back in the day? Your profile says you're 24. What's way back for a 24 year old? 2008? Never mind. When will this stuff hit the chain stores? Advance, Auto Zone, Pep Boys? I hate to spend another $7-$8 just for shipping one can.It should be on store shelves later this month. (and now you know what roushstage2 was referring to, as well!)

I am thinking this may be a good alternative for all the people who use masking tape on their lower quarter panels to keep drag radial shrapnel from sticking to paintMaybe, maybe not. You may not get a real clean line at the edge of the spray pattern, and you may not get it to lay down on a large, relatively flat surface as well as you'd like. And it won't just peel off like masking tape will.

lets say i washed and waxed my rims today and then i spray this brake dust barrier on my rims, does the wax effect anything, will it still protect against uv rays and stuff, will it still bead, will the brake dust barrier still work? what if i spray brake dust barrier first then wax or lets say i sprayed brake dust barrier today and in 2-3 days i wax my rims?Hot Rims Brake Dust Barrier should more than take the place of a wax, and you really don't want wax on the wheels to start with as it may compromise the bonding of the brake dust barrier. If you really want to wax, do so on top of the barrier, but you most likely won't have to at all.

roushstage2
Jan 3rd, 2012, 11:17 AM
As a beta tester of that product you know what it's capable of. Hot Rims Brake Dust Barrier is an advanced evolution of that beta test product.

Indeed, and Lord knows I could most definitely use some more, lol!

79elcamino
Jan 3rd, 2012, 02:25 PM
Hot Rims Brake Dust Barrier should more than take the place of a wax, and you really don't want wax on the wheels to start with as it may compromise the bonding of the brake dust barrier. If you really want to wax, do so on top of the barrier, but you most likely won't have to at all.

but BDB doesnt have any uv protection correct?

Michael Stoops
Jan 4th, 2012, 08:22 AM
No UV protection in BDB, that's true. But that's usually not a major concern for wheels like it is for painted horizontal body panels.

79elcamino
Jan 4th, 2012, 03:12 PM
gotcha

Vettefan
Jan 6th, 2012, 09:30 AM
Is it safe to use on billet aluminum, bare aluminum and clear-coated factory wheels?

Michael Stoops
Jan 6th, 2012, 11:49 AM
Is it safe to use on billet aluminum, bare aluminum and clear-coated factory wheels? Yes, yes and yes.

79elcamino
Jan 6th, 2012, 08:02 PM
Will using QD or UQD to clean the wheels after BDB I'd applied effect Anything?

Murr1525
Jan 6th, 2012, 08:24 PM
Should be ok... that would be a mild cleaner like car wash soap, which is recomended.

STRIFE
Jan 6th, 2012, 08:54 PM
Hmmm, I guess once I apply BDB on my wheels, I should keep Wheel Brightener on the shelf and grab APC instead?
I'll use WB on my wife's wheels....lol

Murr1525
Jan 6th, 2012, 08:56 PM
Sounds like even the APC, Aluminum Wheel Wash, etc are stronger then recomended...

STRIFE
Jan 6th, 2012, 09:03 PM
Hmmm...o really...i guess I will go back to the day when i just washed my wheels with either GC or Hyperwash?

DetailDan14
Jan 15th, 2012, 07:18 AM
How many cars are you guys able to do with one can?

GaulGW
Jan 31st, 2012, 01:25 PM
I tried this on chrome wheels. After they dried, I noticed the surface now has a rough texture in places and does not have the mirror like reflection it used to have, although the chrome still looks very bright from a distance.

Did I do something wrong with my application? I cleaned the wheels with the new Hot Rims All Wheel and Tire Cleaner (2 applications), let them dry completely, then sprayed on the BDB. I tried to make sure it did not go on too thick and run, but it seemed pretty uniform. Temp was about 70F.

Michael Stoops
Jan 31st, 2012, 02:41 PM
Any chance you might have gotten it on too light? Application isn't that much different than spraying a clear coat of paint so going too thin in areas might cause such an issue.

atikovi
Jan 31st, 2012, 03:45 PM
I put them on these machine finish clearcoated wheels. It goes on like spray paint. Spray too heavy and you get runs. Spray it right and you might get a little orange peel that flows out after a minute or two.

http://www.fototime.com/C22DB11029CF521/standard.jpg

GaulGW
Jan 31st, 2012, 07:50 PM
Any chance you might have gotten it on too light? Application isn't that much different than spraying a clear coat of paint so going too thin in areas might cause such an issue.
I was worried about getting runs, so I probably went too light. Can I fix it?

Michael Stoops
Feb 1st, 2012, 08:08 AM
Yes, you can fix it. First off, try just spraying a second coat over the first one you have - that should level it out once it dries and cures, which should be in an hour or so. If that doesn't do it then you can remove the existing coating with either some isopropyl alcohol, Goof Off, acetone or similar solvents. You can also try just spraying some of the product onto a clean microfiber towel, using enough to get an area of the towel pretty wet, and use that to break down the existing coating and fully wipe off the excess. The solvents in the carrier ingredients should be enough to break down the existing application and allow you to remove it.

When properly applied, Brake Dust Barrier won't wash off with soap and water or even with a wheel cleaner. The products mentioned above are solvents, not mere cleaners, so they'll break it down and remove it.

GaulGW
Feb 3rd, 2012, 06:28 AM
Yes, you can fix it. First off, try just spraying a second coat over the first one you have - that should level it out once it dries and cures, which should be in an hour or so. If that doesn't do it then you can remove the existing coating with either some isopropyl alcohol, Goof Off, acetone or similar solvents. You can also try just spraying some of the product onto a clean microfiber towel, using enough to get an area of the towel pretty wet, and use that to break down the existing coating and fully wipe off the excess. The solvents in the carrier ingredients should be enough to break down the existing application and allow you to remove it.

When properly applied, Brake Dust Barrier won't wash off with soap and water or even with a wheel cleaner. The products mentioned above are solvents, not mere cleaners, so they'll break it down and remove it.

I will try respraying this weekend and post the results, if it stops raining long enough.

Michael Stoops
Feb 3rd, 2012, 10:10 AM
Watch for any residual water, whether that be from washing or rain. The wheels must be completely dry before spraying this product to avoid clouding. Mixing this with some water run off can cause that issue.

79elcamino
Feb 3rd, 2012, 01:18 PM
Watch for any residual water, whether that be from washing or rain. The wheels must be completely dry before spraying this product to avoid clouding. Mixing this with some water run off can cause that issue.

i think that is what happened to me, there are spots on my rim where it is white and no cleaning products removed it. its not hazy looking its white

Michael Stoops
Feb 3rd, 2012, 03:19 PM
That can happen if some water gets trapped under it during application. You should be able to spray some of the product onto a microfiber towel, getting a small area of the towel fairly wet, and work it onto the wheel surface to break down and remove what you applied earlier. Wipe off any residue before it dries, then recoat the wheel.

rqk
Feb 4th, 2012, 10:05 AM
If you don't use a tire dressing afterwards, should you mask the tires before using Hot Rims Brake Dust Barrier or will in not cause spots if some gets on the tires?

Michael Stoops
Feb 9th, 2012, 04:31 PM
No need to worry about spotting if some gets on the tires.

Marc08EX
Feb 20th, 2012, 07:42 AM
Hi Mike,

I think I may have over-applied this product. I was getting some runs on a couple of places. Will this adversely affect the performance of the product?

Jossy92
Feb 21st, 2012, 07:32 AM
Same question, except I soaked the corner of a m/f and rubbed it out. Better way?

Michael Stoops
Feb 21st, 2012, 11:26 AM
Hi Mike,

I think I may have over-applied this product. I was getting some runs on a couple of places. Will this adversely affect the performance of the product?If you applied it too heavy and you got a small run, it won't affect the ability of this product to do its job. It may not look as nice as you'd like since you've got a small run, but it won't impact performance. Just to note; very light runs will usually level out on their own, but a heavy run, just like a heavy run with a spray paint, will remain if its really heavy.

Same question, except I soaked the corner of a m/f and rubbed it out. Better way? That is one of the best ways to remove this product from the wheel surface if you make a small mistake, or you want to remove the product for whatever reason. Obviously if you've done this to remove a fresh run then a light respray over that area is called for to ensure that you have adequate coverage.

Buck91
Mar 29th, 2012, 02:02 PM
Application is very straightforward: clean and dry the wheel at the very minimum (if you want to clay the wheels you certainly can) and then simply spray the product onto the surface and let it dry. It really is pretty much the same process as using a rattle can spray paint, really. That includes applying it sparingly so as to avoid any runs or drips. If you want to coat the inside of the wheels too, then you're probably best off removing the wheels, cleaning the back side, and then applying the product. Shooting through the spokes to reach the back of the wheel is probably not a good idea as you'll just never get a thorough, even application that way.

Yet another rather mundane question on this product. I use ONR frequently, and since I have to go to the spray and pray car wash to clean my wheels then drive back to my apartment I like to go other them again with ONR before waxing or in this case applying BDB. Would the slight polymers left behind by ONR affect BDB or would teh carrier solvent make this a non issue? I could always do a quick IPA wipe before application but if its not necessary then I'd rather not!

tcandmm
Apr 8th, 2012, 07:46 AM
Sorry newbie to the fourm- I used the Meg product the first time last week but I guess I over sprayed the product and now the running streak/spot are baked on the wheels and hard to get them off. Dark spots are also forming on the conrners of the wheels and can't get them off. Does anyone have similar issue and what is the solution?

Thanks.

Markus Kleis
Apr 8th, 2012, 01:32 PM
Sorry newbie to the fourm- I used the Meg product the first time last week but I guess I over sprayed the product and now the running streak/spot are baked on the wheels and hard to get them off. Dark spots are also forming on the conrners of the wheels and can't get them off. Does anyone have similar issue and what is the solution?

Thanks.

Like dissolves like, so in this case, taking more of the product and spraying it onto a spot on a rag and then rubbing the areas with the runs should soften it up and remove the excess. As for the dark spots, that sounds odd and it is hard to say without seeing pictures exactly what could be going wrong there.

tcandmm
Apr 8th, 2012, 02:52 PM
Like dissolves like, so in this case, taking more of the product and spraying it onto a spot on a rag and then rubbing the areas with the runs should soften it up and remove the excess. As for the dark spots, that sounds odd and it is hard to say without seeing pictures exactly what could be going wrong there.

Thanks a million, it works like a charm, my wheels now look brand new again!

Markus Kleis
Apr 9th, 2012, 10:37 AM
Thanks a million, it works like a charm, my wheels now look brand new again!

You're very welcome - glad I could help!

GaulGW
Apr 25th, 2012, 01:43 PM
I will try respraying this weekend and post the results, if it stops raining long enough.
It took a lot longer to get back to this than I had hoped, but I tried a heavier coating and it came out much better.

TJPark01
May 8th, 2012, 01:52 PM
@ Michael Stoops

How do I strip this off my wheel completely? Obviously Wheel brightener or similar cleaners aren't strong enough to penetrate the BDB. Do I need to use a paint cleaner and abrade it off, like Swirl X or Scratch X?

Michael Stoops
May 8th, 2012, 03:12 PM
You can fully remove the cured product with rubbing alcohol (like you'd find at your local Walgreens, CVS, etc - straight) and Goof Off works very well.

TJPark01
May 8th, 2012, 03:28 PM
OK, cool , thanks for the quick reply. I was going to try Tarminator or 3M adhesive remover too, I'm sure it's all the same.

http://3mcollision.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/300x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/0/8/08987.jpg

Wilhelm
May 25th, 2012, 12:05 PM
The more I use Brake Dust Barrier the more I appreciate just what a GREAT product it is.

My first experiences with the product was basically it's another version of another brake dust protective product, just easier to apply (five minute dry time, versus 30 minutes for the other product). With the other product I applied two medium coats about half an hour apart and then let the wheels dry overnight. After a couple of weeks it was pretty much all gone. Not so with the Brake Barrier. It's been over a month since I put on the stuff and it's still there on the wheels (more on this in a bit). And I clean my wheels at least one or two times a week, using just Last Touch and a cotton cloth to get the big black stuff off, followed by Last Touch and a clean microfiber to make 'em look good.

After my first time using the product, I noticed some running. And each time I cleaned the wheels I would see the runs, which is how I knew the product was still there, doing it's protective thing. At a Thursday Night Open Garage one of the techs demonstrated the correct way to apply the product-- basically just a few very light poofs, much like the first coat of painting with a rattle can, where you're not quite covering whatever it is you're painting, but there is absolutely no running. I say again, very light coverage-- two coats on four wheels use up less than an eighth of the can.

After I learned the correct technique, I kept waiting for the stuff to wear off so I could give the wheels a thorough cleaning, let them dry, then apply the Brake Barrier. But it still has not worn off. The runs are still there, but they are almost clear so they don't really bother me. Plus they let me know the product is still present and working. Anyway, yesterday the sun was at a sharp angle and I notice some other runs near the lug bolts. These appeared white, against my black rims. After some professional advice, I simple sprayed a bit of the Brake Barrier on a clean microfiber and wiped off the runs. I then did this on the couple of other runs and then gave a lights spray on the areas I corrected.

Recap-- very light coats on clean, dry wheels. If you get some runs, just wipe them off with a corner of a microfiber wetted with some Brake Barrier and lightly respray. Easy to apply, easy to maintain, lasts a long time. This stuff has quickly moved up in to the top three of my Greatest of All Time Meguiar's Products List.

TJPark01
May 25th, 2012, 12:17 PM
The more I use Brake Dust Barrier the more I appreciate just what a GREAT product it is.

It's not obvious how good this stuff is until you live with it. I have 2 Bimmers and one of them kicks out so much brake dust it's like chasing around a two year old. It has drastically cut the time needed to clean rims. In fact you need a lot less chemicals and tools to do the job, thus saving you money time and aggravation in the long run.

gotta figure out what to do with all this...
http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz164/gatoman39/Detailing%20Supplies/IMG_0490.jpg

Murr1525
May 25th, 2012, 12:38 PM
I am eager to try washing mine tomorrow.. been a couple weeks, so should be a good test. I am thinking some UW&W.

Wilhelm
May 25th, 2012, 01:03 PM
I hear you, man. Add to the collection a three gallon garden sprayer I got specifically for the wheels that I now never use and I'm in the same boat.

The wheels on my E91 are OE off an E46 that have been powdercoated black specifically to keep me from having to deal with the brake dust so often. They have a semi-gloss finish that dulls down even more with the brake dust, so I know it's there even if no one else does (I know you know what I'm talking about).

Anyway, I didn't expect the Brake Dust Barrier to work as well as it has, so I didn't spray it on the barrels which I now notice are much harder to clean than the treated surfaces. So I plan to take the wheels off, strip the product off with light sprays of IPA, then recoat the whole wheel, this time including the barrels, before putting them back on.

It's not obvious how good this stuff is until you live with it. I have 2 Bimmers and one of them kicks out so much brake dust it's like chasing around a two year old. It has drastically cut the time needed to clean rims. In fact you need a lot less chemicals and tools to do the job, thus saving you money time and aggravation in the long run.

gotta figure out what to do with all this...

Wilhelm
May 25th, 2012, 01:10 PM
I am eager to try washing mine tomorrow.. been a couple weeks, so should be a good test. I am thinking some UW&W.

That should work great to get your wheels nice and shiny. I was going to try it myself, but I don't really want my wheels to be too shiny. Plus I have this totally unfounded concern that some of the stuff in UW&W will get on the brake calipers, bake on in the heat and maybe accumulate as some dark or yellow sheen after a while. Maybe not, though, cuz it will be over the Brake Barrier.

As I say though, no evidence anything bad will happen, but Last Touch works just fine on my wheels so I'm sticking with it for now. Use the UW&W every where else though, great stuff.

Nuscence813
May 28th, 2012, 03:00 PM
I actually bought this product by mistake thinking it would remove heavy seated brake dust. Lol. So I applied it to my brake dust infected wheel on my 2007 530i. I realized after the first spray something wasn't right. Lol. I tried to wash it off almost immediately and oops, nothing came off. The water just beaded off and brake dust under the film. So I trapped the mess under the film wow. Dumb moment none the less, but I removed it with goo gone and realized that goo gone is amazing for removing the brake dust. I could not believe how the goo gone removed the stubborn brake dust barrier. It took it off easily. Then I reapplied the BDB and kept it flawless for months. So with that being said I learned 2 new things, goo gone is great at removed brake dust and BDB is amazing!!

jarred767
Aug 9th, 2012, 11:00 PM
I haven't gotten around to using this as I just found out about it (been out of the loop for a little), but i have a can ordered for my personal cars as this thread completely sold me on it.

Have any detailers used this as an add-on service for customers? Seems like something someone might pay a little extra for, and an easy way to make few extra bucks rather than waxing wheels. With that said, any possibilities of a larger version, maybe as a part of the Detailer Line?

Murr1525
Aug 10th, 2012, 05:18 AM
Cant really go too big with an aerosol.

Michael Stoops
Aug 10th, 2012, 08:44 AM
A little evidence of the durability of this product:

Last week I had the opportunity to try some TriX on my car. For those who don't know about this non-Meguiar's product, it's sort of a combination of IronX and TarX in one bottle. These are pH neutral products that change color as they dissolve and break down embedded iron deposits, tar, etc and are supposed to be completely safe to use on paint, wheels, and virtually all automotive surfaces. The one big caveat is to avoid allowing the product to dry on plastic trim. So, I wanted to give this a go on the wheels of my daily driver to see how it worked. I sprayed it onto cool wheels and let it dwell for the time specified in the directions - actually, for a bit less than the time stated. The stuff did it's funky color change thing, bleeding purple from my wheels, telling me that it was doing its thing on the existing brake dust and other foreign material on the wheels. I then rinsed with water from the hose and to my horror the wheel was showing horrible white staining. It looked like I had used a strong acid based cleaner on a bare aluminum wheel - but these are fully clear coated wheels, polished lip and painted spokes, but fully clear coated. I've used Hot Rims All Wheel Cleaner (and the new All Wheel & Tire Cleaner version) and even Wheel Brightener numerous times in the past without issue. The wheels are several years old, but otherwise in great shape.

Needless to say, I was a bit freaked out about this. I dried the wheel and starting inspecting it closely to see what the heck was going on. If this product was supposed to be pH neutral and safe to use on paint, wheels, etc, then why the heck did it damage my wheels? Well, as it turns out, it did NOT damage my wheels at all. Let's be 100% clear about this - TriX did NOT damage my wheels. What it did do, however, was react with the Brake Dust Barrier on my wheels. How did I determine this? Well, when I applied BDB it was done as a test, so I had taped off half the wheel and applied BDB to just one half. When I was inspecting the wheel closely for damage, I noticed the white staining abruptly stopped at a very definitive line - very strange, don't you think? Well, it turns out the line where the "damage" stopped was also the line where the BDB stopped. And I had applied the BDB a year ago. Yes, a year ago! And it was still there, even though I had used All Wheel & Tire Cleaner and Wheel Brightener several times in that year. I was stunned!

OK, so the situation needed to be corrected - I wasn't about to drive around with this wheel half white and stained looking. Turns out a quick but somewhat heavy spray of BDB onto a microfiber towel and then wiped onto the wheel very quickly broke down the old application of BDB and removed it fully. The staining went away with it and the wheels look perfectly fine once again.

So, if you're looking for a really, really long lasting product to help protect your wheels, Brake Dust Barrier is it. But if you're a huge fan of IronX, TriX and TarX you might want to keep it off your wheels if they have BDB on them. It is extremely rare that we see strange product interactions like this, but things happen. Fortunately for me there wan't any real damage done, but it sure looked scary for a minute! This level of durability out of BDB was a real surprise though!

jarred767
Aug 10th, 2012, 09:07 AM
Cant really go too big with an aerosol.

Thanks, I figured that, but probably worded my question wrong/didn't really realize what I really wanted to know. I guess more specifically, since there are no larger versions of it, could a detail shop buy this stuff by the case or something to save on cost, or is it simply by the single canister?

And that review is crazy. I look forward to any easier wheel clean on both of my personal cars for sure.

Murr1525
Aug 10th, 2012, 09:28 AM
Hmm.. I was going to use the TRIX in the fall.. going to have to figure out some way to tell when to clean them.

The Guz
Aug 25th, 2013, 07:42 PM
I took a trip to detailing.com and picked this up along with a few other goodies. I washed the car today and applied it. It was very easy to apply. I will see how well it works the next time I rinse the wheels off.

The Guz
Sep 7th, 2013, 11:17 PM
A quick update. I used this on another set of wheels after I had cleaned them off the car. The wheels were chrome and I didn't see any cloudiness after spraying them and letting them dry. After I put them back on the car, I gave the car a quick wash. Even though the wheels were clean, there was some nice beading. The only thing I did notice with this product is that if you get overspray on the tire be sure to remove it prior to dressing the tire. I was able to remove it with a little rubbing alcohol.

On my car I had dressed the tire with D163 prior to spraying my wheels. It did leave the tires a little bloctchy in some areas due to some overspray. But it worked fine when rinsing off the wheel with just water.

This is a great product and I highly recommend it.

Jossy92
Sep 9th, 2013, 08:15 AM
This isn't really a review as I support the forum by only using Megs: Loyaly and product compatibility,

But this is definitely a recomendation!

I Cleaned up the wheels on a friends 2010 BMW last spring and then sprayed them with Hot Rims per directions.
I first tried lightly spraying on a piece of cardboard to get the feel of the spray pattern, which was very tight and so I had no over spray problems.

Then, my friend unexpectedly went out of town several times and I was unable to care for car for about three months.
When she got back, the wheels where filthy with brake dust. However I could still wipe off the thick black film with my finger. The Hot rims, worked as I had never been able to do that before.

So, the first thing I did was spray the wheels with plain water to remove the top coating of brake dust. Almost no luck.
Then I sprayed the wheels with Meg's spray and wash and and wiped them down with several well wrung out microfibers. I followed up with a dry Daytona Speed Master Wheel Brush which had been moistened with the Spray and wash. I ran the speed brush over the first wheel and wiped the brush on to a microfiber to remove some of the grunge and repeated before moving on to the next wheel.

Wow. A great product. More sucessful and easier than trying to type this.

Passed the geezer test. Highly recommended

The Guz
Dec 27th, 2013, 11:29 PM
Michael perhaps you can answer a question I have regarding brake dust barrier. I have used it and like the product. Now my question is would brake dust barrier bond to the wheel if say there is a layer of wax on them? For example I have NXT on the wheels.

Daniel Kinder
Dec 28th, 2013, 08:17 AM
Michael perhaps you can answer a question I have regarding brake dust barrier. I have used it and like the product. Now my question is would brake dust barrier bond to the wheel if say there is a layer of wax on them? For example I have NXT on the wheels.
No it's best to remove all wax

Daniel Kinder
Dec 28th, 2013, 08:20 AM

Found this for you Guz

Re: Hot Rims Brake Dust Barrier

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/cpstyles/meguiars/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by 79elcamino http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/cpstyles/meguiars/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=487897#post487897)
Let's say I have wax on my wheels should I remove it before applying this product? Also after applying this product can I still wax my wheels?

Yes on both counts, although you really shouldn't need to wax after using this as it is so effective at what it does - making clean up a piece of cake.

The Guz
Dec 28th, 2013, 11:48 AM
Found this for you Guz

Re: Hot Rims Brake Dust Barrier

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/cpstyles/meguiars/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by 79elcamino http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/cpstyles/meguiars/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=487897#post487897)

Yes on both counts, although you really shouldn't need to wax after using this as it is so effective at what it does - making clean up a piece of cake.

Thanks.

Daniel Kinder
Dec 29th, 2013, 12:25 PM
Thanks meguiars for bringing this great product out, I have waited along time for this and just about give up hope!

I along with some older MOL members got a little teaser of what's to come:doublethumbsup2
http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/data/500/medium/1536478_10203072003550309_1579014203_n.jpg (http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/60330/title/old-sample/cat/500)

atikovi
Dec 29th, 2013, 02:47 PM
Originally Posted by 79elcamino

I put on some Ultimate first as an extra layer of protection.

http://www.fototime.com/1B80120C8625FF1/standard.jpg
In sides of 20 year old Jeep wheels.

Murr1525
Dec 29th, 2013, 05:18 PM
I think is supposed to bond to a bare surface best.

Wilco
Jan 18th, 2014, 04:38 AM
such a pitty I can't import aerosols, I've been searching for a product to cut down my rim cleaning time.
I've tried Utimate Quik Wax-ing my rims, but they obviously don't work & last as well LOL

davey g-force
Jan 19th, 2014, 12:27 PM
such a pitty I can't import aerosols, I've been searching for a product to cut down my rim cleaning time.
I've tried Utimate Quik Wax-ing my rims, but they obviously don't work & last as well LOL

Stay tuned - it looks like Motor Active will be importing this into Australia for us :)

The Guz
Nov 9th, 2014, 11:03 PM
Mike here's another question for you. Can brake dust barrier be used on matte wheels? Or would you recommend something else like D156?

Thanks.

davey g-force
Nov 10th, 2014, 02:03 AM
Stay tuned - it looks like Motor Active will be importing this into Australia for us :)

BTW this never happened. :(

Michael Stoops
Nov 10th, 2014, 10:49 AM
Mike here's another question for you. Can brake dust barrier be used on matte wheels? Or would you recommend something else like D156?

Thanks.
Technically, yes it can be used on matte wheels, but something tells me that for safety's sake, you're better off with D156. In fact, on the satin black wheels we have at home, that's what I use.

The Guz
Nov 10th, 2014, 11:14 AM
Technically, yes it can be used on matte wheels, but something tells me that for safety's sake, you're better off with D156. In fact, on the satin black wheels we have at home, that's what I use.

Thanks Mike. Was looking for something to put on my brothers Harley wheels. They are aftermarket matte wheels. I will stick to D156 since he rides it only on the weekends.

GoZoner
Jan 4th, 2015, 01:30 PM
What happened to Brake Dust Barrier? Not sold on MeguiarsDirect.com, not available on Amazon (unless for $20), not in local auto parts stores. I'll pick it up at detailing.com but has it been discontinued?

The Guz
Jan 4th, 2015, 01:40 PM
Would be a shame if it was discontinued. It's a really nice product.

atikovi
Mar 6th, 2016, 09:06 AM
Any update on availability? MY last can bought from AZ 2 years ago for $10 is empty and it ain't worth paying $30 on Amazon. Has this been discontinued? I see Armorall has a similar product but that isn't available locally either. Whats the story?

The Guz
Mar 6th, 2016, 10:07 AM
Has this been discontinued?

Yes.

atikovi
Mar 6th, 2016, 10:39 AM
Yes.

Any alternative products?

The Guz
Mar 6th, 2016, 11:49 AM
Any alternative products?

I've personally moved onto wheel coatings. They not only last longer but they are more durable. There are quite a few on the market such as CarPro DLUX, Pinnacle Black Diamond Wheel Coating, McKee's 37 wheel coating.

If you are not ready to move to coatings, you can also use ultimate quik wax every wash to keep some sort of protection on the wheels. You could even use the sealant you use on the paint. It would need regular application.

The Guz
Mar 7th, 2016, 12:56 AM
Another one I forgot about is McKee's 37 wheel glaze which is a wheel sealant. This is sold through Autogeek or Autopia as it is one of their house brands.

okboy
Sep 8th, 2017, 03:35 AM
How about if i using super degreaser to wash the wheel, is it can wash off the Hot Rims Brake Dust Barrier?

davey g-force
Sep 10th, 2017, 02:52 PM
How about if i using super degreaser to wash the wheel, is it can wash off the Hot Rims Brake Dust Barrier?

Depending on what concentration you use it at, it would probably deplete it to some extent, yes.

But the point is, you shouldn't be needing to use anything as strong as SD to clean the wheels after you have applied BDB.