PDA

View Full Version : Meguiar's PowerSystem

Michael Stoops
Oct 11th, 2011, 12:21 PM
Meguiar's PowerSystem

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/data/1910/DAPS.gif
Product attributes:

Utilize this conventional, non-threatening tool to power a proprietary, patented, dual-action attachment
More than a wax applicator - Provides a platform for multi-function applications
More than a polisher - A platform that allows tremendous versatility serving multiple applications
Using any corded drill, the forced rotation movement allows for safe and effective defect correction
Part Number: G3500
MSRP: TBD

While obviously not a replacement for a DA buffer, this tool is a great introduction to power tool buffing for those who've been leery of buffers or simply don't have the budget for one. If you have a corded power drill (and who doesn't?) you can now machine polish your car, boat, RV, etc. Great for spot repairs or tight spots like A-pillars and bumpers, the tool utilizes our Wx204 Soft Buff 4" pads for a variety of correction, polishing and waxing needs.

PhantomMagician
Oct 31st, 2011, 08:15 AM
GOtta get this for sure.. Yeay .. sooo exciting :)

ethereal45
Oct 31st, 2011, 08:27 AM
Very cool, I don't think anyone saw this coming.

juliom2
Oct 31st, 2011, 08:35 AM
Thrill for a Drill...........
A hand drill has never been so Fun.....
Game changing device......
A+
:hotrod2:

smokinfastlegend
Oct 31st, 2011, 08:46 AM
This is like a mini dynabrade, at least similar principle.

PhantomMagician
Oct 31st, 2011, 09:16 AM
SOOOO... will it work as good as DA ? or it's more like Force rotation DA ?

yey, i want to try it sooo bad :)

Michael Stoops
Oct 31st, 2011, 09:17 AM
This little tool is very cool. Keep in mind that it's a forced rotation tool and not a true dual action (it moves the pad more like a Flex 3401 than a G110v2) and while it may seem a bit odd to do this with a drill, I can tell you from personal experience it works beautifully. One of the most surprising things is just how ergonomic it is. You'd think holding a drill and the stick handle would be a bit odd, but it really feels very natural and the stick handle can freely rotate to any position "around the clock" that works for you, whether you're right handed or left handed. And since it uses the same Wx204 pads that you can use on a traditional DA it can do much the same sort of correction. Obviously it would be more time consuming to do an entire car with this compared to using full sized pads on a DA, but for tighter areas or spot repair it's great. And you can do some pretty serious correction with it, too.

Teak
Oct 31st, 2011, 09:48 AM
Very cool looking tool. Especially for spot buffing, tight areas, headlights, under the hood or even jambs.

davey g-force
Oct 31st, 2011, 12:01 PM
Probably not for me, but what an awesome idea! :xyxthumbs

Michael Stoops
Oct 31st, 2011, 03:52 PM
Probably not for me, but what an awesome idea! :xyxthumbsYes, we know it's not for everybody (nothing is, is it?!) but we appreciate you understanding its positioning. There are plenty of people out there who are terrified at the thought of putting a buffer on their car, but they're very comfortable with a drill - and probably already have one.

Now, obviously the tool's ability to remove defects is going to be determined, at least in part, by the power of the drill. So a low power cordless drill is not your best tool choice here. But it's pretty amazing what you can accomplish with a good corded drill and the right pads and liquids. We've pulled out some serious scouring with Ultimate Compound on a W8204 pad in just a single section pass.

Bjkearns
Oct 31st, 2011, 04:49 PM
Like others posters have mentioned it probably isnt for me but I can see how it would be useful

That said if offered to make a couple passes I would give it a whirl

ethereal45
Oct 31st, 2011, 06:17 PM
It's crazy someone would rather use a drill than a buffer, but to each their own!

Michael Stoops
Oct 31st, 2011, 06:36 PM
There are people who are downright terrified at the thought of putting a buffer on their paint. This should ease the fears of at least some of them. Others simply cant afford a proper DA and can't accomplish anything with a big old orbital. This is a much easier acquisition for them and offers real defect correction

Bjkearns
Oct 31st, 2011, 06:44 PM
I think if the price point is right on this it could be a great seller in this economy
O ya I see Mr. Stoops is using his new phone

thescreensavers
Oct 31st, 2011, 08:37 PM
Is this noob friendly like a DA, where if you apply too much force it wont spin?

Michael Stoops
Nov 1st, 2011, 05:46 PM
Is this noob friendly like a DA, where if you apply too much force it wont spin?It's even noob friendlier than a DA; the whole package is lighter weight and a drill generally doesn't have quite the power of a DA either. We won't say it's impossible to damage paint with this tool (you can damage paint working by hand!) but the odds of that happening are very, very slim.

CumminsCrazed
Nov 1st, 2011, 07:19 PM
id like to try this with my friends 36v DeWalt hammer drill !!!!

BillE
Nov 2nd, 2011, 03:09 AM
id like to try this with my friends 36v DeWalt hammer drill !!!!

That gives, "Let's knock this car out..." a whole new meaning!

Bill

CumminsCrazed
Nov 2nd, 2011, 08:37 PM
yup, and its one heck of a drill too!!!

seckinb
Nov 2nd, 2011, 11:24 PM
Can we have one for circular polishers too? They don't sell much DAs over here in Turkey, but rotary/circular polishers are everywhere. I know many who would love to have a DA for certain jobs.

umi000
Nov 3rd, 2011, 12:06 AM
Can we have one for circular polishers too? They don't sell much DAs over here in Turkey, but rotary/circular polishers are everywhere. I know many who would love to have a DA for certain jobs.

That already exists - look up Dynabrade.

Shawn T.
Nov 3rd, 2011, 03:39 AM
I could see this being a useful tool.

Instead of changing out my backing plates, I just switch machines and now I have smaller pads for tighter areas. Actually quite a time saver.

May be worth the investment.

seckinb
Nov 3rd, 2011, 04:42 AM
Yes, I know about Dynabrade but couldn't see the exact part and the pricing. G110v2 (well 220v version G220v2) is sold at $300 here. I was talking about $80 Circular polishers plus this PowerSystem. But I don't know the MSRP for this piece either.

Vettefan
Nov 4th, 2011, 05:17 AM
Hey MIke, any idea when the Powr System will become available and the price be announced?

Vette and all car fan!

Jprix82
Nov 6th, 2011, 10:54 AM
Can't wait for this!!

STRIFE
Nov 6th, 2011, 11:12 AM
I will get this even though I recently picked up a GG6 & GG3, along with a bunch of 7" & 4" megs pads/ BP, GG 6 " & 3" pads, a 12 pk of Buff & shine 4" pads...etc etc....and I don't even detail for $$$.

I hope this Power system will be in the $40-50 range or less ...as I recently picked up a couple really cheap corded drills for about $10-15 each.

Mr Stoops...am I close in the price range?

PhantomMagician
Nov 7th, 2011, 10:38 AM
This little tool is very cool. Keep in mind that it's a forced rotation tool and not a true dual action (it moves the pad more like a Flex 3401 than a G110v2) and while it may seem a bit odd to do this with a drill, I can tell you from personal experience it works beautifully. One of the most surprising things is just how ergonomic it is. You'd think holding a drill and the stick handle would be a bit odd, but it really feels very natural and the stick handle can freely rotate to any position "around the clock" that works for you, whether you're right handed or left handed. And since it uses the same Wx204 pads that you can use on a traditional DA it can do much the same sort of correction. Obviously it would be more time consuming to do an entire car with this compared to using full sized pads on a DA, but for tighter areas or spot repair it's great. And you can do some pretty serious correction with it, too.

Thanks Mike, can't wait to try it, 7 more months i guess in indonesia :)

Michael Stoops
Nov 7th, 2011, 11:27 AM
Hey MIke, any idea when the Powr System will become available and the price be announced?

Vette and all car fan!Should be late in Q1 2012

I will get this even though I recently picked up a GG6 & GG3, along with a bunch of 7" & 4" megs pads/ BP, GG 6 " & 3" pads, a 12 pk of Buff & shine 4" pads...etc etc....and I don't even detail for $$$.

I hope this Power system will be in the $40-50 range or less ...as I recently picked up a couple really cheap corded drills for about $10-15 each.

Mr Stoops...am I close in the price range?Probably not too terribly far off on the price...... time will tell. ;)

Justin Murphy
Nov 12th, 2011, 12:02 PM
Very interested.
I've been looking for a cord free "waxing" device for a year now. Not a polisher but something for us mobile detailers to use for just a quick waxing.
With all the new lithium ion technology, I figured there would be something out by now. Maybe this will work on the existing tools then.

Justin Murphy
Nov 12th, 2011, 12:13 PM
Retails for 199.99
Would this new system work with this tool?
http://media.toolking.com/catalog/product/cache/16/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/d/c/dcd740c1_k1.jpg

STRIFE
Nov 12th, 2011, 06:37 PM
Hmmmm... looks like I will be looking into cordless drills as well.....could be my new waxing tool soon, my DA's will be for polish & swirl removal......cannot wait to get one!

Justin Murphy
Nov 13th, 2011, 06:57 AM
I would love to here from a Meg's rep that has used this and with which tools.

Thanks!

Garage Troll
Nov 13th, 2011, 07:54 PM
This is a total game changer! This is something that could be recommended to a customer if they were interested in trying their hand at car care. Very very cool. I may actually get one of these for my Dad.

Michael Stoops
Nov 14th, 2011, 09:00 AM
I would love to here from a Meg's rep that has used this and with which tools.

Thanks!OK, I'll bite. Several of us have used this not only in testing (obviously) but also to demonstrate it to major retailers as part of our annual new products introduction to the buyers of all major retailers who carry our products. In these demos we show all of our new products, demonstrating each in our training garage rather just showing off some pretty bottles and talking about the products. For example, the new Hot Rims All Wheel and Tire Cleaner was shown in action, doing what it does so well. Same goes for Ultimate Wash & Wax Anywhere, Rinse Free Express Wash, etc. So when it came time to demo the Power System, we did exactly the same demo we do with the G110v2; we intentionally swirled up some paint on a real vehicle, taped off a section, and went to work. We used a variety of corded drills for the demo as we have several on hand - DeWalt, Craftsman, Ryobi, etc - and all of the foam pads in our 4" Soft Buff line (yes, including the W7204 cutting pad). Using Ultimate Compound, Ultimate Polish and Ultimate Wax just as we do in our Saturday Classes, we did the full process to reveal a darn near swirl free finish in very little time. Time and again it was a very impressive demo. And not just because of how good it made the paint look, but because of the ease of use of the tool, the non-intimidating nature of the tool/drill combo, and the low price compared to a proper DA. We know this isn't for everyone, and we don't expect you to use this when prepping a show car for a major event (at least not for full correction of the entire vehicle) but for someone terrified of a DA, or with a limited budget, it's a great intro to power tools for paint correction. And judging by the comments we hear when doing DA buffer demos around the country, plenty of people are scared to death of taking a power tool to their paint. For more seasoned users it could well be another arrow in their quiver as you never know when it might come in handy.

Blue Apollo IV
Dec 10th, 2011, 02:16 PM
I just wish they'd invent a near silent drill...or buffer. I hate all the noise associated with powered detail tools. Blah.

June Kim
Aug 7th, 2012, 06:51 AM
Dear Mike,

I've been waiting for DA Power System for a long time.
I'm so curious. Please give us a hint !

Michael Stoops
Aug 7th, 2012, 08:03 AM
We sort of teased this one at SEMA last year, but we'll have more info on it in the coming months.

June Kim
Aug 12th, 2012, 06:11 PM
We sort of teased this one at SEMA last year, but we'll have more info on it in the coming months.

Especially I want to know when it is planned for release.

Thank you.

Blackwolf_Oz
Nov 26th, 2012, 02:31 PM
Especially I want to know when it is planned for release.

Thank you.

Me too.....need one.....(want) but live in Australia....how can I get one, along with an assortment of relavent pads?

Murr1525
Nov 26th, 2012, 03:31 PM
Probably need some sort of international shipping site, maybe Autogeek or Amazon.

Blackwolf_Oz
Nov 26th, 2012, 03:59 PM
Probably need some sort of international shipping site, maybe Autogeek or Amazon.

Amazon.......
Meguiar's G3500 DA PowerSystem Tool cannot be shipped to the selected address. :sosad1

davey g-force
Nov 26th, 2012, 05:07 PM
Autogeek ships to Australia.

Blackwolf_Oz
Nov 26th, 2012, 05:16 PM
Autogeek ships to Australia.

Thanks.....bit the bullet......
G110v2 Dual Action Complete Kit

Scottwax2
http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-da-foam-pad-kit.html

$219.99 delivered, (AU)

GETTING QUITE EXCITED!

Blackwolf_Oz
Nov 26th, 2012, 07:02 PM
Cant edit posts still.....however..... Would someone be kind enough to explain the equivalent Meguiars pads?

The supplied pads here............. http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-da-foam-pad-kit.html are different from the ones here.....

I dont want to use the wrong type......simply be for slight swirl removal & applying polishes & waxes......apologies for hijacking the thread....feel free to split if warranted. :doublethumbsup2

Blackwolf_Oz
Nov 26th, 2012, 07:12 PM
Like....is their white one for general polish.....and their grey one for swirl removal .....likewise the blue one for polishes?

STRIFE
Nov 26th, 2012, 09:41 PM
Looks like it is now available for orders at ADS!!!
And with a bonus too!
http://www.autodetailingsolutions.net/meguiars-da-power-system-tool-g3500.html

Michael Stoops
Nov 27th, 2012, 08:06 AM
Like....is their white one for general polish.....and their grey one for swirl removal .....likewise the blue one for polishes?
The white pad supplied in the kit referenced is a bit lighter in cut than our yellow W8207 pad, while the gray and blue would just fall to either side of our black W9207 finishing pad. That means the white pad may be pretty light duty and not able to remove moderate to severe defects on harder paint, regardless of liquid used. The other two pads are likely to be pretty close to each other in cut, so much so that you may well be splitting hairs trying to tell the difference. Of course, if you encounter super soft and delicate paint, the blue pad could become your best friend!

Our only real concern is the use of our supplied W68DA backing plate with these pads. We don't think it's going to be a real issue, but we've never tried this backing plate with those specific pads. But since AG is putting them all together in the same package we would hope that they have and there are no issues with it. Certainly the pads should be large enough in diameter to prevent exposure of the edge of the backing plate when polishing, but the shape of our W68DA is a bit different than more "traditional" backing plates as it was designed specifically for our Soft Buff 2.0 pads which are recessed on the back for the backing plate to drop into. Not trying to put you off here, we just want you to be aware of this when you start using your new toy.

Blackwolf_Oz
Nov 27th, 2012, 11:23 AM
Thanks Michael.....cancelled the order, as they wanted $195 to ship it to Australia.....:wall:

Would have made it $520 :awman1

I'll investigate the product further today.

I'd prefer the relevant Meguiars pads.

davey g-force
Nov 27th, 2012, 12:05 PM
Yeah, just get some Megs yellow and black pads to simplify things.

You do know that you can get the G220 from Meguiars Australia, based in Sydney? A bit pricey, but less than $520!

Blackwolf_Oz
Nov 27th, 2012, 12:18 PM
http://www.meguiars.com.au/products/ I sent them an email...., as no link to either G110v2, nor G220v2.....Pads on http://www.meguiars.com.au/products/professional-products/accessories/

:coolgleam

Blackwolf_Oz
Nov 28th, 2012, 12:01 AM
Bit disappointed in the reply....
Hi Nick,

We no longer bring in the G220V2. You can pick up a rather good polisher from Bunnings or your local hardware store. Some Automotive retailers also carry a range of polishers so you might want to try there.Thanks, :hm1

I want Meguiars. :rant

davey g-force
Nov 28th, 2012, 12:10 PM
Well there you go. I didn't know they stopped stocking them.

Disappointing, yes..

jhhodges
Nov 28th, 2012, 06:44 PM
I was at the last TNOG on November 1st where Mike demonstated this tool. After a few of us tried it out, he turned it over to a friend of the owner of the black Miata that appears in the photos of that evening. I think it should be noted that the roof of the black Miata, in the photos of that evening, was "worked" with this tool and the person who did the roof was a first time user of the tool. Take a look at the photos of that evening and you will see the results.

Pictures and Comments from November 1 TNOG (http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/content.php?73-Pictures-and-Comments-from-November-1-TNOG)

I definitely plan to get one to supplement my DA polisher.:doublethumbsup2

Michael Stoops
Nov 29th, 2012, 08:06 AM
I was at the last TNOG on November 1st where Mike demonstated this tool. After a few of us tried it out, he turned it over to a friend of the owner of the black Miata that appears in the photos of that evening. I think it should be noted that the roof of the black Miata, in the photos of that evening, was "worked" with this tool and the person who did the roof was a first time user of the tool. Take a look at the photos of that evening and you will see the results.

Pictures and Comments from November 1 TNOG (http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/content.php?73-Pictures-and-Comments-from-November-1-TNOG)

I definitely plan to get one to supplement my DA polisher.:doublethumbsup2

Thanks for mentioning this - we had completely forgotten that the hard top on that Miata was corrected with the DA Power System!

jhhodges
Nov 29th, 2012, 09:11 AM
No problem. Can't wait for TNOG to start back up again. Merry Christmas.:)

wesleyoh
Feb 5th, 2013, 02:51 AM
I just shipped the G3500 to Singapore however I could not find any stores that sells 4 inch pad here. Could i purchase a Meguiar wax applicator, glue one side to velcro and use it on the g3500? How is the cutting compare to the normal yellow polishing pad? more aggressive ?

Michael Stoops
Feb 5th, 2013, 08:04 AM
I just shipped the G3500 to Singapore however I could not find any stores that sells 4 inch pad here. Could i purchase a Meguiar wax applicator, glue one side to velcro and use it on the g3500? How is the cutting compare to the normal yellow polishing pad? more aggressive ?
Our typical yellow wax applicator pads have virtually no cut to them, which is why they're so good for wax application. On the DA Power System tool we actually recommend using our W7205 burgundy cutting pad while compounding for defect removal, and that pad has a lot of cut. So, while your idea might work technically, it's going to dramatically limit your defect removal ability. Your best bet is to source some of our 4" pads, or someone else's similar sized pads, from the US and have them shipped to you just as you did with the tool itself. You don't have to buy the actual DA Power Pad kits as the pads themselves are identical to the ones we sell in two packs in our pro line, so look for W7204, W8204 and W9204 at any detail supply websites that ship internationally.

fenderpicks
Mar 2nd, 2013, 08:38 AM
Does the yellow polishing pad that comes with the DA Power system has abilities to cut?
I plan on using it along with a 1 step polish that has some cut to remove minor swirls and scratches?

STRIFE
Mar 2nd, 2013, 11:13 AM
I think with something like UP, it will provide very minor cut for light swirls, maybe UC will provide more cut for the scratches

Murr1525
Mar 2nd, 2013, 12:15 PM
The yellow pad can if the polish is strong enough, but you can use the red cutting pad also for swirl removal with the Power System.