PDA

View Full Version : Rinse Free Express Wash

Michael Stoops
Oct 11th, 2011, 12:39 PM
Rinse Free Express Wash

Product attributes:

​Exterior / Interior Wash -128:1 (1 ounce / gallon)
Cleans all vehicle surfaces
Non-scratch, non-streaking formula
Paintable / contains no silicones
Biodegradable
Part Number: D11401
Size: 1 gallon
MSRP: $39.99

ethereal45
Oct 31st, 2011, 08:29 AM
Yes! The pricing and dilution certainly blows ONR out of the water.

BillyJack
Oct 31st, 2011, 09:05 AM
I'm not following your math. ONR is $39.99/ gallon also and only requires 1 oz. for two gallons. Express wash is the same cost and requires 1 oz./gallon. Nevertheless, I'm glad to see Meg's in the rinseless and waterless wash markets. What I'd really like to see is a consumer-sized product, 16-22oz., that would be available OTC. I'd prefer to send a customer to Advance or Wally World than give away some of my own stock. Looks like the Meg's staff has been quite busy this year. A bunch of nice additions to the product line!

Bill

umi000
Oct 31st, 2011, 09:10 AM
Can this product be used as a clay lubricant and qd (depending on the dilution) in the same fashion as ONR?

ethereal45
Oct 31st, 2011, 09:11 AM
Bill, when I posted I had forgotten the pricing and dilution of ONR. At first glance, I thought this was a much better deal....I thought ONR was more expensive than it actually is. I'm with you that ONR is more cost effective at first appraisal. I'm guessing this would make a decent clay lube also?

Erik Mejia
Oct 31st, 2011, 09:14 AM

Price is competitive, and the suggested dilution ratio for ONR is 1-2 oz per gallon. That being said, I know this product will likely meet or exceed ONRs performance. Can't wait to try this out!

Michael Stoops
Oct 31st, 2011, 09:24 AM
What I'd really like to see is a consumer-sized product, 16-22oz., that would be available OTC. I'd prefer to send a customer to Advance or Wally World than give away some of my own stock. Looks like the Meg's staff has been quite busy this year. A bunch of nice additions to the product line!

BillThen you'd want to hook them up with Ultimate Wash & Wax Anywhere (http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?52291-Ultimate-Wash-amp-Wax-Anywhere) - ready to use in a trigger spray, and it contains a hydrophobic polymer wax.

Can this product be used as a clay lubricant and qd (depending on the dilution) in the same fashion as ONR?We're still working out the final details on this regarding dilution ratios, etc.

Teak
Oct 31st, 2011, 09:53 AM
Finally a hoseless wash from the most trusted name in car care. have been waiting a long time for this one. Will this replace other waterless wash products or kits offered in markets outside the USA?

Shawn T.
Oct 31st, 2011, 09:55 AM
Looks good! I appreciate it Meguiars! Time to deplete my ONR!!!!!!!

Andy M.
Oct 31st, 2011, 10:56 AM
I have been waiting for this forever from Meguiars!!! Awesome everyone!!

Andy

davey g-force
Oct 31st, 2011, 11:37 AM
Good stuff! Can't wait to try it...

Buck91
Oct 31st, 2011, 03:34 PM
Will be watching for the reviews, definately raises the compitition against ONR vs. UW&W for me.

Markus Kleis
Oct 31st, 2011, 04:23 PM
Having played with this product some time ago, I am more than ecstatic to finally see it come to life. Can't wait to get some in my arsenal...

Michael Stoops
Oct 31st, 2011, 04:57 PM
Mark, unless you made a few trips to our offices in the past couple of months, this is not the exact same stuff you played with a while back!

ethereal45
Oct 31st, 2011, 06:14 PM
It would be so cool to be a chemist for you guys. I will graduate with a chemistry degree in a few months :)

Ultraman
Oct 31st, 2011, 08:58 PM
I'll be one of the first detailers to try this once it hits my local Megs distributor. Good job, Meguiar's!

STRIFE
Nov 1st, 2011, 12:27 AM
What crappy timing....i just rec'd my 2 jugs of ONR I bought on sale at ADS ......will be some time before I try this product....hopefully I can read some good reviews til then

Markus Kleis
Nov 1st, 2011, 01:24 AM
Mark, unless you made a few trips to our offices in the past couple of months, this is not the exact same stuff you played with a while back! Interesting. You guys never rest making things better, do you? :laughing2

Alfisti
Nov 1st, 2011, 09:33 AM
ONR raised the bar. I use it on all my clients cars. Hard to beat so curious to see how this compares in cleaning ability and gloss. It's already twice as expensive so it would have to significantly out-perform ONR.

Shawn T.
Nov 1st, 2011, 10:25 AM
I like that it leaves no protection behind. Strictly a wash. Some may disagree but I like that attribute.

seckinb
Nov 2nd, 2011, 06:40 AM
Would definitely love to get this in OTC range too. It's great to have everything under Megs brand.

BlueZero
Nov 3rd, 2011, 09:15 AM
Wooohoooo!!!

But... What's it smell like? I don't really like the smell of ONR.

P.S. Hello everyone! :)

akimel
Nov 4th, 2011, 07:55 AM
Finally! I've been waiting for Meguiar's to finally introduce a product along the lines of ONR. I'm looking forward to reading the comparative reviews on the various detailing forums.

RaskyR1
Nov 7th, 2011, 01:47 PM
This is definitely the new product I'm most excited about. :db:

Hemin8r
Nov 7th, 2011, 07:10 PM
Can't wait to try this out. Very exciting indeed.

Justin Murphy
Nov 13th, 2011, 06:58 AM
I'm getting ready to order my winter materials. I see ADS has this on their page. I would love to hear of some reviews!

Garage Troll
Nov 13th, 2011, 08:04 PM
Since I use ONR at one ounce per gallon anyway, I'm going to have to give this a try. Can't wait!

Michael Stoops
Nov 14th, 2011, 08:50 AM
I'm getting ready to order my winter materials. I see ADS has this on their page. I would love to hear of some reviews!

This is strictly a personal observation having used this on my own cars at home. I've been a fan of ONR and even Protect-All's QEW for a while now, in part because these rinseless wash products make washing and drying a car very fast and easy, I've yet to see any negative side effects on the paint from doing so, and you regardless of your view on environmental waste/protection/etc you can't deny that you're not using much water at all to wash a car - and that can't be a bad thing.

Now, with all that said, in comparing RFEW to these and a couple of other similar products, I can tell you from first hand experience that it feels crazy slick in the bucket at proper dilution ratio; it cleans the surface very efficiently; it dries off incredibly easy with zero streaking. Of all the rinseless wash products I've used, ONR has been my favorite of the bunch (I won't mention the brand that I don't care for at all due to how badly it streaks when drying off) and I would move to RFEW without hesitation even if I didn't work here. The slick feeling, ease of use, cleaning ability, and streak free, effortless drying did it for me. It should also be noted that my experiences with any of these products do NOT included washing that required the removal of road salt or heavy caked on dirt (this is SoCal, after all, and we don't get snow in the lower elevations!) but it does include having to wash a car following a lot of exposure on rain soaked roads. And here in SoCal, when it rains for the first time in many months, all of the oil and other junk deposited on the road surface is finally loosened up and flung far and wide as millions of us roll our tires over it. When it rains frequently in other parts of the country this road grime is washed away on a regular basis. Here in SoCal it can accumulate for 6 months or more! So driving back from Las Vegas following the recent SEMA show (about 225 miles in the rain) my car was reasonably filthy, especially around the back of the car. A heavy, black, almost crusty coating was layered over the back of the car, but it was no match for RFEW.

Sure, I work for Meguiar's so you may think my observations are a bit tainted. That's understandable. But those who know me know that I don't pull any punches with this stuff - if I like something I'll tell you, and if I don't I'll tell you that, too. But I won't publicly name names of competitors I don't care for, just because of my position here at Meguiar's. But truth be told, it's very rare that I find a product I truly, sincerely, strongly dislike. There is very little "junk" out there. There is a whole lot of really good stuff, and some really exceptional products, on the market. But not every company hits a home run with every product. But in keeping with the baseball analogy, we hit RFEW with the sweet spot of the bat!

Marc08EX
Nov 14th, 2011, 08:55 AM
Mike, what wash media do you use? Do you use the 2 bucket method for rinseless washing as well or is it safe to use it with just 1 bucket?

Garage Troll
Nov 14th, 2011, 10:00 AM
Mike, even though you work for Meguiars I have always found your opinions about other products very fair and unbiased. For you to stand up and say how much you like ONR convincees me that this product is a definite purchase for me. I have a strong feeling (and I don't want to speak for you here) that you guys used ONR as a level to surpass. Am I close? I am very excited to try RFEW.

And kudos on being so fair. It is far too common to see other companies operate without comparing themselves to a competitor (in a positive way of course).

Looks like I'll be putting in an order soon :)

Justin Murphy
Nov 14th, 2011, 01:19 PM
Mike, enough said.
I'm gonna get some!

Michael Stoops
Nov 14th, 2011, 02:11 PM
Mike, what wash media do you use? Do you use the 2 bucket method for rinseless washing as well or is it safe to use it with just 1 bucket?You've got some options with wash media. Any good microfiber or natural sheepskin wash mitt will work well, but a lot of people like using a folded microfiber towel, too. The two bucket method is a very good idea for very dirty vehicles, and giving the wash media a quick rub on the grit guard at the bottom of the bucket will help to remove most of the dirt from it. Crazy as it sounds, and I hesitate to even mention this because they're really not available any more, but the synthetic sheepskin bonnets we used to sell for our old Gold Class wash mops work great and easily release the dirt once wiped against the grit guard. You might be able to find a few on ebay, who knows?

Now, if the vehicle is really dirty, you might want to have a couple of wash mitts on hand, or stick with folded microfiber towels. Experiment a bit, and find a solution that fits with your work flow and you're comfortable with.

Marc08EX
Nov 14th, 2011, 02:29 PM
You've got some options with wash media. Any good microfiber or natural sheepskin wash mitt will work well, but a lot of people like using a folded microfiber towel, too. The two bucket method is a very good idea for very dirty vehicles, and giving the wash media a quick rub on the grit guard at the bottom of the bucket will help to remove most of the dirt from it. Crazy as it sounds, and I hesitate to even mention this because they're really not available any more, but the synthetic sheepskin bonnets we used to sell for our old Gold Class wash mops work great and easily release the dirt once wiped against the grit guard. You might be able to find a few on ebay, who knows?

Now, if the vehicle is really dirty, you might want to have a couple of wash mitts on hand, or stick with folded microfiber towels. Experiment a bit, and find a solution that fits with your work flow and you're comfortable with.

Are you serious?! You recommend those?! I have 2 in stock and using 1 for really dirty vehicles (or lower portions) at the moment. My local big lots still has 2 left. I didn't know they were good.

Garage Troll
Nov 14th, 2011, 03:54 PM
How does RFEW work as far as getting your mitt clean. With ONR I have found that it can be difficult to wash out the dirt stains afterwards. However, with Ultima, it just sort of releases and comes clean. I don't know if this question makes any sense or not. It's not a huge deal, but just a curious thought.

BlueZero
Nov 14th, 2011, 04:27 PM
Can't wait to give this a try. I still have 1.5 gallons of ONR left but I can always give that away to friends. haha

Michael Stoops
Nov 15th, 2011, 07:45 AM
How does RFEW work as far as getting your mitt clean. With ONR I have found that it can be difficult to wash out the dirt stains afterwards. However, with Ultima, it just sort of releases and comes clean. I don't know if this question makes any sense or not. It's not a huge deal, but just a curious thought.That seems to depend on the wash media, at least to some degree. For example, using a large microfiber pad it's difficult to remove the dirt from it by wiping against the grit guard at the bottom of the bucket, but a lambswool (natural or synthetic) seems to come up much cleaner following a grit guard wipe - and you know how filthy the wash media gets when using a rinseless wash. As for a run through the washing machine at the end of the day, both seem to wash up extremely well.

Garage Troll
Nov 15th, 2011, 09:07 AM
Thanks Mike! I was using the Meguiars MF wash mitt. I love them but maybe I should opt for the lambs wool for rinseless washings :)

02whitetundra
Nov 15th, 2011, 05:20 PM
The difference for me is that ONR is cheaper to use per use. Not to knock Megs but you have to use double the amount that ONR calls for.

saturn2
Nov 15th, 2011, 05:46 PM
I was wondering if there is any benefit of using RFEW with a conventional wash. I believe that ONR claims to be a conditioner in this fashion.

marspe
Nov 16th, 2011, 09:58 PM
Has there been any word from R&D about the dilution ratio (8:1?) for use as a waterless wash (i.e. spray bottle)?

marspe
Nov 16th, 2011, 11:28 PM
Has there been any word from R&D about the dilution ratio (8:1?) for use as a waterless wash (i.e. spray bottle)?

Oops! I meant as a QD [which is a Spray Wash for me :-)]

smack
Apr 5th, 2012, 05:07 PM
Oops! I meant as a QD [which is a Spray Wash for me :-)]

I would like to know this as well.

ExcessiveMobile
May 12th, 2012, 05:28 PM
Yes me as well. I love spray washing.

Michael Stoops
May 14th, 2012, 09:49 AM
RFEW can be used as a "waterless" wash with the same dilution ratio as we recommend for bucket washing on a very dirty car - 128:1

PinoyBoy
May 14th, 2012, 10:24 PM
1oz to 128oz = waterless washing? If I'm reading it correctly, this is the most cost effective waterless wash on the market. "Very dirty car" is easily misinterpreted from someone inexperience like me. How dirty would you consider this car (http://www.autogeekonline.net/nick/Kwazar DP/IMG_4011.JPG)? That's usually the dirtiest my car gets after a week; I was wondering if it's still safe to use RFEW as a waterless wash in that condition. Picture doesn't belong to me; it belongs to AutopiaTech from AutopiaForums.

Can it also be used as a quick detailer or clay lube, if so, what dilutions?

ExcessiveMobile
May 15th, 2012, 08:27 PM
I'd mix some up then put it in a spray bottle and apply heavy since its so cost effective and wipe with a micro fiber towel switching towels every panel or so.

ca2kjet
May 16th, 2012, 10:20 AM
So lets see here... can I take a ~32oz standard sprayer, add 1/4 of an oz of RFEW, spray onto vehicle surface, spray onto microfiber towel, wipe, and then dry? Would that work? I just got my gallon of RFEW and can't wait to try this stuff out and if I can use it in a spray format for the occasional maintenance wash, that would be awesome!

STRIFE
May 16th, 2012, 11:55 AM
1/4 of an oz seems pretty lean when mixed with a 32 oz bottle, I would think maybe 2 oz in a 32 oz bottle?

ca2kjet
May 16th, 2012, 12:12 PM
1/4 of an oz seems pretty lean when mixed with a 32 oz bottle, I would think maybe 2 oz in a 32 oz bottle?

I know, it seems crazy but that's a 128:1 ratio and that's even using the "heavier cleaning" ratio. I'm hoping Michael can confirm the proper amount that should be used. I don't want to mix up a bottle yet... but it's so tempting! :drool1

Michael Stoops
May 16th, 2012, 12:30 PM
For a typical bucket wash our directions are for 1 ounce of RFEW to 2 gallons of water, or 1 ounce of RFEW to 1 gallon of water for a dirtier car. Using RFEW at 128:1 in a spray is equivalent to the "dirtier car" dilution ratio for a rinseless bucket wash, but common sense would then dictate that you are not then using a small amount like you would with a quick detail spray. You're going to want to spray a fairly liberal amount of product onto the surface before wiping with a clean microfiber towel. Essentially you should almost soak the surface before wiping, and you should use several towels for the process.

RFEW has pretty stout cleaning ability so there's no need to go to a really heavy dilution ratio with it. And if you've used it in a bucket wash you know it's incredibly slick in solution.

ca2kjet
May 16th, 2012, 12:53 PM
Thanks for the info Michael. I'll have to do some experimenting and see how it goes. I haven't even had a chance to test out RFEW since it just arrived today. Probably should use the product the normal way before I do anything crazy... :D:D:D

ca2kjet
May 18th, 2012, 12:06 PM
Thought I'd let people know that I tested out using RFEW in a spray. Filled up to the 32oz line and added a bit under the 128:1 ratio (this stuff smells like kool-aid...:heelclick1.gif). I've only tested this on a week's worth of dirt and debris after a full detail had been done my truck but it was a hefty amount of dirt especially after a few days of driving in rain and through heavy road work areas...

I sprayed my towel to get it plenty wet, sprayed the surface so it was completely covered but not drenched, wiped carefully, and then took a dry towel and everything wiped perfectly clean with nothing left behind and no streaking! I even did this partly in the sun and it did really well. I probably wouldn't use this to clean a filthy vehicle as I'd rather use a soaked sponge and a bucket but for something a bit more than a detailer this stuff works really well.

PinoyBoy
May 18th, 2012, 02:50 PM
Ca2kjet, so you did a waterless wash style method if I understood your post correctly?

For anyone who has used RFEW and DP RW&G, which one do you prefer? I know that Mike has stated he prefers RFEW over ONR.

ca2kjet
May 18th, 2012, 04:33 PM
Ca2kjet, so you did a waterless wash style method if I understood your post correctly?

Correct :)

bigbull2984
May 19th, 2012, 09:36 PM
Man i want some, only if there was a 32oz bottle.

aerogt01
May 19th, 2012, 09:53 PM
Look up autoality. They have a 16oz sample size.

bigbull2984
May 20th, 2012, 12:45 PM
Look up autoality. They have a 16oz sample size.

I hate you for telling me about that website :)

Aerogt01 thanks a bunch, about to order stuff right now. Gonna get alot of the megs detail line.

Garage Troll
May 28th, 2012, 03:42 PM
I just pulled the trigger today and ordered a gallon! I am psyched :) Especially now that I see it can be used as a waterless wash. By my math, if you buy a gallon at $39.99 then a gallon of waterless wash would cost you just over $0.31. Therefore, a 32 oz bottle (which is plenty to complete a car) breaks down to a measly $0.078!!! Holy cow!! Meguiars just undercut EVERYONE. Kudos to you guys :)

ChevysLastSled
Jun 30th, 2012, 10:05 AM
I just pulled the trigger today and ordered a gallon! I am psyched :) Especially now that I see it can be used as a waterless wash. By my math, if you buy a gallon at $39.99 then a gallon of waterless wash would cost you just over $0.31. Therefore, a 32 oz bottle (which is plenty to complete a car) breaks down to a measly $0.078!!! Holy cow!! Meguiars just undercut EVERYONE. Kudos to you guys :)

I'm excited to use it. I finally ordered a gallon last night for $29.99. So each ounce will be a little under $0.24 for me.
I think 32 oz is enough for about 3-4 midsize sedans

jvs1991
Jul 1st, 2012, 08:24 AM
Just did a wash with the RFEW in a 32oz spray bottle and very impressed with results. Streak free results, and did a good job of removing any dirt on the car. My car hasnt been washed in maybe a week, rained once or twice since then and had moderate build up on it but the RFEW effortlessly removed it without streaking or scratching. Used ca2kjets method of spraying the towel first then I liberally sprayed the surface and watched as the dirt lifted away.

Definitely excited to use this in the winter months or on days when I dont feel like breaking out buckets and a hose. Definitely recommend picking some up whether it be from autoality in their 16oz sampler size or from ADS for the gallon for 29.99.

jarred767
Aug 9th, 2012, 11:16 PM
Didn't see it mentioned on this thread, and sorry if it was covered somewhere else already, but since you can use it as a waterless wash (like Last Touch) can it also be used for claying? And if so would I probably just use the same dilution ratio of 128:1? If so, this could essentially replace Last Touch for a fraction of the cost..... I'm interested to hear if anyone has tried this out yet and what the results were like as I'm getting my first gallon of RFEW next week and would love to know if it's possible.

ExcessiveMobile
Aug 9th, 2012, 11:54 PM
I confirm that 1/4 ounce in a 32 ounce spray bottle will in fact wash about 3 cars or 2 Full sized trucks or 1 messy mini van.

128:1 ratio is perfect as RFEW has such amazing cleaning power. I operate my own mobile detailing service and this has cut my costs tremendously. Thanks Megs!!!!

Michael Stoops
Aug 10th, 2012, 07:38 AM
D114 should pretty handily beat Last Touch in a waterless wash configuration due to its greater cleaning and encapsulating abilities. We recommend using one ounce of D114 with two gallons of water for a rinseless wash, and depending on how dirty a vehicle is you should be able to use somewhere between that and one ounce per gallon for a waterless wash.

jarred767
Aug 10th, 2012, 08:53 AM
Thanks guys, anything about it being able to be used as lubricant for claying though, and what that ratio would be? I'm assuming 128:1 or even more diluted since last touch is diluted 1:1 for claying, but just curious. Thanks