PDA

View Full Version : Headlight Protectant

Michael Stoops
Oct 11th, 2011, 12:47 PM
Headlight Protectant

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/data/1910/G17110_HdlgtPrtctnt.gif

Product Attributes:

Helps maintain headlight clarity for new & recently restored headlights
Provides durable protection from harmful and damaging UV rays
Fogginess and yellowing are caused by harmful UV Rays which oxidize and discolor plastic. Like sunscreen, Meguiar's unique Headlight Protectant formula acts as a barrier between plastic and these harmful rays, prolonging the clarity and brilliance of new or restored headlights. Applying this product every time you wax your car, ensures that you’re headlights look new and bright for a longer period of time.

To apply, we recommend using a clean, soft cloth or applicator pad; just work the product lightly against the lens much like you would with a pure polish, and then wipe off the residue.

Part Number: G17110
Size: 10 ounces
MSRP: $7.99

Buck91
Oct 31st, 2011, 03:41 PM
Hows does this compare to 303 in terms of effectiveness and longevity?

Mike Bones
Oct 31st, 2011, 03:45 PM
Is this the same stuff that comes with the heavy duty headlight restoration kit?

TheSublimeGoose
Oct 31st, 2011, 04:54 PM
Mike,

I would assume not, since it's part of the 2012 line. Maybe an update or improved version? I'm not too familiar with the kit you're speaking of, so perhaps it's time for me to stop typing...

-Mark

Michael Stoops
Oct 31st, 2011, 05:22 PM
Hows does this compare to 303 in terms of effectiveness and longevity?303, while commonly used on headlights, is really just a water based dressing that washes off pretty easily. This will dramatically outlast that product or any of our water based dressings, and provide much more UV protection than using a wax or sealant.

Is this the same stuff that comes with the heavy duty headlight restoration kit?Yes, it's the exact same stuff.

thescreensavers
Oct 31st, 2011, 08:40 PM
Awesome! Cant way to try this out.

juliom2
Nov 2nd, 2011, 08:17 AM
This product will become very popular.
Delivers greats results for better looks
and visibility on the road...
:hotrod2:

STRIFE
Dec 15th, 2011, 08:10 PM
Just ordered a bottle from AG
http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-headlight-protectant.html

After using PlastX on my lights....been using UQW afterwards......pretty sure this Headlight Protectant will be even better!!

mjay3
Dec 21st, 2011, 08:16 AM
Just brought Plastx cleaner and polish, how is this Headlight Protectant any different?

Murr1525
Dec 21st, 2011, 08:22 AM
The PlastX is a cleaner and polish that can remove some swirls, etc. The Headlight Protectant is a protectant.

Slickster
Jan 8th, 2012, 08:31 PM
Just registered to ask this question. :) Would this product be the best thing to use on the (plastic or plexiglass not sure which) panoramic roof on my 2012 Mercedes SLK? Or should I just use the same sealant I use on the paint? Its definitely a plastic type material and not glass. I would like it to stay crystal clear. Also would this be good to use on the tail lights and other clear plastic?

Murr1525
Jan 8th, 2012, 08:40 PM
Can always use a regular wax, but sounds like this may be a bit of a step up.

Michael Stoops
Jan 9th, 2012, 08:45 AM
This product should prove to be a better choice for UV protection than a wax or sealant. It's fine for any sort of plastic, polycarbonate, plexiglass etc. so it will be fine on your roof, tail lights, etc.

Slickster
Jan 9th, 2012, 07:38 PM
Thanks so much for the help!! :thankyou1

STRIFE
Jan 10th, 2012, 05:04 PM
I'm dying to use my bottle....I recently used PlastX via DA....and protected the headlights with UQW.....do I need to remove the UQW before applying Headlight protectant? Or should I just apply on top of?

TheSublimeGoose
Jan 10th, 2012, 09:51 PM
SRIFE,

I'm going to assume this is like any other dressing/protectant. Meaning, you should remove the previous layer before applying a fresh one.

PhantomMagician
Mar 16th, 2012, 11:35 PM
do we need to wait for +- 30 to cure like we did when waxing ? or it just wipe on wipe off product ?

detailchick
Mar 18th, 2012, 04:55 PM
I really want to try this !

Will it be in auto parts stores? Havent seen it yet in my area.

Michael Stoops
Mar 19th, 2012, 09:37 AM
I'm dying to use my bottle....I recently used PlastX via DA....and protected the headlights with UQW.....do I need to remove the UQW before applying Headlight protectant? Or should I just apply on top of?
UQW has some pretty tenacious polymers in it - you'd want it off before applying this so that it bonds properly

do we need to wait for +- 30 to cure like we did when waxing ? or it just wipe on wipe off product ?
As mentioned in another thread, application is similar to that of a pure polish rather than a traditional wax. That means wipe it on, work it in a bit, and wipe off right away.

I really want to try this !

Will it be in auto parts stores? Havent seen it yet in my area.It should be in some of the major auto parts stores by now, even here in SoCal.

ronniejay
Mar 20th, 2012, 05:54 PM
bookmark.

mav
Mar 17th, 2013, 07:35 PM
hey all,

i've finally bought and used this product last weekend. I'm pretty satisfied with the results even on my 4 month old Elantra. the headlamps/tail lights look shiny from far. I do have an issue whereby there still seems to be some product leftover even after a thorough and hard wipe off with microfibers. its not obvious and you really need to scrutinize to see it, but its there. Could it be that i'm using more product than i really should? As I'm alternating UQD and UQW during my weekly washes, sometimes i do spray them on the headlights/tail lamps as well. Could this also coz the issue?

Murr1525
Mar 18th, 2013, 05:26 AM
The Headlight Protectant is a fairly wipe on / wipe off product. If it dries, you may want a damp cloth to help remove.

And same for the UQW, shouldnt be an issue, but if some residue was getting left behind, it could build up.

Nick Winn
Mar 18th, 2013, 07:44 AM
Meguiar's Headlight Protectant should be applied by gently working the product into the headlight, and then wiping off immediately. Another option if the product does dry on the headlight is to simply re-apply and wipe off. We also recommend re-applying every 6-8 weeks to ensure even coverage.

SpoolMe
Mar 18th, 2013, 07:56 AM
How does this compare to just waxing them W/ nXt gen 2.0 wax ?

mav
Mar 18th, 2013, 10:44 PM
hey guys,

thanks for the advice. I did follow the instructions (wipe on, and wipe off immediately), but i think i used more product than necessary. also i think i was exerting quite a bit of pressure to spread the product. maybe that's my issue :) i'll try again in a month's time. overall i love it.