PDA

View Full Version : Too much trial and error!

vette66aircoupe
Apr 10th, 2005, 12:51 PM
My darling wife bought me a Porter Cable DA polisher for Christmas. It came with a 5 inch 55475 foam pad. She also bought a 18002 "Hook and Loop Contour Pad with 6 Dust Holes" and two 18007 "Hook and Loop Lambs Wool Polishing Pads" both of which are 6 inch upon recommendation of the salesman. I went to work on my car. Wash, Clay........ Meguair's Deep Chrystal Cleaner was the first product I applied with the DA using the 5" foam pad that came with it. I figured I'd wash the pad out when I was done with the cleaner. Set it out in the sun, standing on it's side on a piece of saran wrap to avoid contamination. I was anxious to move on to the polish and since the foam pad wasn't quite dry enough to suit me I put it back on the DA and turned it up to 6 thinking it would spin the remaining water out. Wrong! The foam pad flew apart! OK, I guess I had a severely out of balance condition having stood the pad on its side. So now do I need to replace the pad so I can go on to the Deep Chrystal Polish and Liquid Carnuba given that I still have the other pads mentioned above? The hook and loop add-ons seem a lot easier to use given that they are so much easier to change. Are foam pads made that utilize the hook and loop mounting method? What products should I use the lambs wool pads to apply and what products should I apply with foam pads? I guess utopia would be to have a pad for each product. :confused:

lig
Apr 10th, 2005, 12:58 PM
You definitely want a separate pad for each product.

I've never even used my lambswool pad - differing foam pads have gotten the job done just fine.

gb387
Apr 10th, 2005, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by vette66aircoupe
My darling wife bought me a Porter Cable DA polisher for Christmas. It came with a 5 inch 55475 foam pad. She also bought a 18002 "Hook and Loop Contour Pad with 6 Dust Holes" and two 18007 "Hook and Loop Lambs Wool Polishing Pads" both of which are 6 inch upon recommendation of the salesman. I went to work on my car. Wash, Clay........ Meguair's Deep Chrystal Cleaner was the first product I applied with the DA using the 5" foam pad that came with it. I figured I'd wash the pad out when I was done with the cleaner. Set it out in the sun, standing on it's side on a piece of saran wrap to avoid contamination. I was anxious to move on to the polish and since the foam pad wasn't quite dry enough to suit me I put it back on the DA and turned it up to 6 thinking it would spin the remaining water out. Wrong! The foam pad flew apart! OK, I guess I had a severely out of balance condition having stood the pad on its side. So now do I need to replace the pad so I can go on to the Deep Chrystal Polish and Liquid Carnuba given that I still have the other pads mentioned above? The hook and loop add-ons seem a lot easier to use given that they are so much easier to change. Are foam pads made that utilize the hook and loop mounting method? What products should I use the lambs wool pads to apply and what products should I apply with foam pads? I guess utopia would be to have a pad for each product. :confused:

:welcome

This is the place to come for info about detailing!

Here is what most of us on this board use: DA System (http://www.meguiars.com/store_meguiars/product_detailpage.cfm?sku=WDA&store=meg)

http://www.meguiars.com/store_meguiars/images/product_wda.gif
as lig said; You want to use a different product with each pad. and I too am not sure on the lambswool pads and a PC. Not sure its the best idea.

You talk about the deep crystal system, thats a great way to start. I have had really good luck with the system. Easy to use, you can find it easy and best of all its inexpensive!

Hope this helps!

PS what kind/color of vehicle will you be detailing?

Lt1Corvette
Apr 10th, 2005, 01:44 PM
I have seen people use lamb wool pads on a da before. However, they used it as a first step with an aggressive cleaner and have to remove the damage later with a polishing pad. As gb387 mentioned, staying with the meguiars da pads are your best bet to get good and safe results.

RamAirV1
Apr 10th, 2005, 02:51 PM
Lamb's wool pads are not recommended for use with the DA polisher. They are too aggressive and will scratch the paint. Stay with the foam pads from Meguiar's, they use the velcro attachment system to the backing pad. For cleaners and cleaner/polishes use the yellow foam pads and for pure polishes like #81 and waxes use the pink finishing pad.

RamAirV1

vette66aircoupe
Apr 10th, 2005, 05:52 PM
I'm working on a black '60 Corvette first. Then a red '66 Corvette Coupe. Both are base coat/clear coat. I'm guessing that the foam pads will work with the contour pad I have. Anybody know if the one Meguiar's offers is the #18002 Porter Cable item? Maybe this is simpler than I think. It looks like all I need to do is buy the set of three foam pads.:D

gb387
Apr 10th, 2005, 06:06 PM
I'm working on a black '60 Corvette first. Then a red '66 Corvette Coupe. Both are base coat/clear coat. I'm guessing that the foam pads will work with the contour pad I have. Anybody know if the one Meguiar's offers is the #18002 Porter Cable item? Maybe this is simpler than I think. It looks like all I need to do is buy the set of three foam pads.:D

Sounds like you have the hook and loop type... I have only used Meguiars backing plate but I would think any hook and loop backing plate would work if not, you can get the backing plate and pads in this kit at Meguiars (http://www.meguiars.com/store_meguiars/product_detailpage.cfm?sku=W-DAV99&store=meg) for $32.95 and you are set! You are right hook and loop is much easier!

You have a couple of nice cars.... if you are willing to try NXT Tech Wax its a great easy to use was, looks great.
Something like this:
1. Deep Crystal Cleaner
2. Deep Crystal Polish
3. NXT Generation® Tech Wax (http://www.meguiars.com/store_meguiars/product_detailpage.cfm?sku=G-127&store=meg)

Food for thought!

Post some photos if you can.

01MagRedC5
Apr 10th, 2005, 06:15 PM
Post some photos if you can.

:iagree:

Always like to see PICs of well taken care of Vintage Vettes.

:xyxthumbs

vette66aircoupe
Apr 11th, 2005, 02:40 AM
Here's what's in the stable. This is the '60. It's a 283, 4 speed. I've put a set of Cragar SS mags on it since this picture. It also has a new black top. Lots of fun on a nice day but I need to do something to the front end. These old Vettes are aimed, not steered, in my opinion. I'm thinking of a coil over conversion with disc brakes for next winter.

vette66aircoupe
Apr 11th, 2005, 02:43 AM
This is the big dog, a '66. It's all numbers matching and I'll keep it as original as I can. I can play with the '60 as it doesn't have the original motor among other things. The '66 is a 427/390, 4 speed, A/C, P/S, side pipes...nothing sounds like a big block!

01MagRedC5
Apr 11th, 2005, 02:51 AM
Here's what's in the stable. This is the '60. It's a 283, 4 speed. I've put a set of Cragar SS mags on it since this picture. It also has a new black top. Lots of fun on a nice day but I need to do something to the front end. These old Vettes are aimed, not steered, in my opinion. I'm thinking of a coil over conversion with disc brakes for next winter.

That is gorgeous!

01MagRedC5
Apr 11th, 2005, 02:53 AM
This is the big dog, a '66. It's all numbers matching and I'll keep it as original as I can. I can play with the '60 as it doesn't have the original motor among other things. The '66 is a 427/390, 4 speed, A/C, P/S, side pipes...nothing sounds like a big block!
Outstanding, you have a pair of show-n-go Classic Vettes. :xyxthumbs

Mike Phillips
Apr 11th, 2005, 05:26 AM
I'm working on a black '60 Corvette first. Then a red '66 Corvette Coupe. Both are base coat/clear coat.

The first question is,

"What is your goal?"

That is, do these cars have swirls or other defects that you want to remove? How does the finish look in bright light, like sunlight?

Cobweb-effect
http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/2masscobweb-med.jpg

Buffer Swirls
http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/2MB2GrossSwirls1jRAW-med.jpg

What Meguiar's likes to teach is to first determine what your car care goals are, then
* Evaluate the finish
* Choose the correct product(s)
* Use good technique
If you do the above three things your chances for success are almost guaranteed.

As others have suggested, getting a Meguiar's pad kit would be a first good step. You'll need the two yellow polishing pads for defect removal, and the finishing pad for applying wax. If you want to also remove the wax with a microfiber bonnet, (very good for show car work), then I would suggest an extra foam pad that you can dedicate for use with your bonnets so that it's alway clean and dry for wax removal. For this our W-7006 foam cutting pad works great as the extra stiffness works well for wax removal.

If you do have swirls and scratches, you might want to consider a cleaner/polish from our Professional Line as your first step product, such as the M80 Speed Glaze. If your finish doesn't have to deep of swirls and scratches you can use this product with a W-8006 foam polishing pad and after polishing all of the paint to perfection you can switch to the W-9000 finishing pad and go straight to the waxing step. For most people and for most cars this two-step approach will produce stellar results.

So how does the finish on both of these cars look when you view the sun reflecting off the finish?

Like this?

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/2600_LayersofZaino2.jpg

Or like this?
http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/21963CorvetteSunReflectionshot2-med.jpg

Is this what you want?
http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/2reflectionshot1.jpg

Superior Shine
Apr 11th, 2005, 06:31 AM
Sweet vettes

vette66aircoupe
Apr 11th, 2005, 06:35 AM
Mike,

Thanks for the advice. Both of my finishes are in pretty good shape. I don't have what you depict as cobwebs or buffer swirls. I do have some very fine scratches, probably from something nasty being drug across the surface during prior hand cleanings and waxings. What would I like? The finish you show on the black mid-year Vette of course! I'm still not clear as to whether I can use the PC 18002 hook and loop contour pad (backplate) with your 3 pack of pads or do I need to buy the whole set with the backplate. I don't want to buy the whole set and then find out I have the exact same backplate already from Porter Cable. Here's a picture of it.

Mike Phillips
Apr 11th, 2005, 06:43 AM
Hi vette66aircoupe,

You can use the Porter Cable backing plate, but be careful, because it has a 6" diameter, the edge of this backing plate will extend to the outer edges of the foam pads. It shouldn't extend past the edge of the foam pad, but it will be close.

The risk/danger is that you could gouge your finish if you are not careful. This is why Meguiar's backing plate has a 5" diameter, it provides a extra measure of protection.

I think Joe of Superior Shine uses 6" diameter backing plates in his detailing business but he has years and years of experience and safe buffing techniques are second nature to him.

Grab a rule or measuring tape and measure the diameter exactly of the backing plate and post it back here.

Mike

Mike Phillips
Apr 11th, 2005, 06:59 AM
I went out into the garage and placed a measuring tape across the back of a Meguiar's W-8006 foam polishing pad with one of our W64DA backing plates attached to give you an idea what the safety margin looks like.

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/2backingplate.jpg

As you increase the size of the backing plate, the edge of the backing plate will be placed closer to the edge of the foam pad. The thing you want to avoid is to be in a position where you might gouge the edge or side of the foam pad into the paint which could potentially gouge the edge of the paint with the backing plate.

A 6" backing plate will still give you some room around the edge with foam pad extending further than the backing plate, so as long as you are careful you will be okay. The key will be to focus on the task at hand.

Hope this helps...

Mike

p.s.

From the sound of your finish, then M80 Speed Glaze will be a good polish for both of your cars with the W-8006 foam pad. Then follow this with two thin coats of your favorite wax.

We polished out this Challenger with M83 first followed by M80 Speed Glaze.

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/2OverAfter80.jpg

The results you see in the paint in the above picture is after removing the M80 Speed Glaze, no wax has been applied at this stage of the polishing process yet.

vette66aircoupe
Apr 11th, 2005, 07:05 AM
Mike,

The backing plate measures 5 and 13/16's of an inch. How does the #80 product differ from the deep crystal polish I have currently?

Mike Phillips
Apr 11th, 2005, 07:13 AM
Mike,

The backing plate measures 5 and 13/16's of an inch. How does the #80 product differ from the deep crystal polish I have currently?

Both polishes will add richness to any color of paint and clarity to clear coats, but the Deep Crystal Polish is a pure polish while the M80 Speed Glaze is a cleaner/polish.

Meguiar's pure polishes are completely non-abrasive, this means they do not offer the ability to remove below surface defects.

Meguiar's cleaner/polishes contain diminishing abrasives and offer the ability to remove fine swirls and scratches.

Here' some information on our polishes from our FAQ

Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle (http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2409)

Step-3 Polishing
http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/2Step3Polishing.jpg

Meguiar's offers two types of polishes, Cleaner Polishes and Pure Polishes. Cleaner Polishes are for removing very light or fine defects while restoring a crystal clear, smooth high gloss surface. Pure polishes are for finishes already in excellent condition and are for the purpose or creating brilliant high gloss with deep dark reflections.

If you look in Webster's Dictionary under the word polish, one of the definitions they include reads like this:

"A preparation that is used to produce gloss, and often color for the protection and decoration of a surface."

This definition best describes Meguiar's Pure Polishes. Meguiar's pure polishes are designed to create brilliant high gloss while preparing the surface for the application of a protective coating. Meguiar's pure polishes accomplish this without the use of abrasives.

Another definition found in Webster's Dictionary for polish is,

"To make smooth and glossy by friction."

This definition best describes Meguiar's Cleaner/Polishes. Meguiar's cleaner polishes are formulated to very gently abrade the surface with Meguiar's Diminishing Abrasive TM and Buffered Abrasive TM technology to remove the finest defects and create a perfectly smooth, high gloss finish.

Depending on what type of paint you're working on, traditional paints like lacquers and enamels, or catalyzed clear coats, Meguiar's has the products specifically designed to work on both types of paints, not to mention many other surfaces such as plastics and polyester resins (Fiberglas Gel-coats).

Meguiar's Trade Secret Polishing Oils
The trade secret oils Meguiar's uses in both types of polishes are unique to the industry and to this day have never been surpassed for creating deep, dark reflections and brilliant high gloss by any of our competitors in over 100 years.

The oils Meguiar's uses are also important in maintaining the original condition of the paint by filling in the naturally occurring microscopic pores and surface imperfections thus preventing detrimental substances and elements as simple as water, or worse, acid-rain, from entering into these pores and microscopic surface imperfections thus causing oxidation and chemical etching. These oils act to replace the original resins as they wear away through natural processes.

When paint is new, it is the most impermeable it will ever be, this means it is a very smooth non-porous, continuous film. With age, exposure to the environment and micro-scratching caused by day-in, day-out wear and tear, your paint develops micro-fissures in the surface along with other defects. These micro-fissures and other defects act to make the continuous film or coating of paint more porous. As this happens, your car's finish becomes more vulnerable to corrosive elements that will attack and degrade your finish.

Remember, waxes, synthetic or otherwise, are meant to be Sacrificial Barriers with the intended purpose sealing the surface, while blocking those things that would attack your paint, from coming into direct contact with the paint.

"Waxes protect your finish by sacrificing themselves so that your paint doesn't have to"

An analogy is your skin. In the same way you can clean, polish and protect your skin, you can clean, polish and protect your car's finish. Soap can be used to clean your skin and remove dirt from the pores. Skin lotions can be used to moisturize your skin, conditioning it and making it more clear and beautiful. Protection products like lotions used to protect hands from exposure to chemicals and UV protectants can be applied to help protect your skin from the things that would attack your skin if these harmful things could come into direct contact with your skin.

While human skin and automotive paint are very different, the analogy is very similar. With Meguiar's, you can:

* Wash your car's finish to remove unwanted and accumulated dirt contaminants
* Clean your paint with our special paint cleaners and cleaner/polishes
* Polish your paint with our pure polishes to create unequaled beauty
* Protect your paint with our advanced paint protection products
* Maintain your car's finish using our fast and easy to use maintenance products.

The unique thing about Meguiar's highly specialized trade secret oils is their ability to restore and maintain the Optical Clarity of both single stage and clear coat paints in a way that waxes alone cannot match, (both natural and synthetic), the results of which are demonstrated in side-by-side comparisons.

(The above is only the section on polishing, there is a lot more information on the different steps you can read by clicking on the above blue link)

M80 Speed Glaze is a very safe but effective light cleaner/polish, a favorite with many serious enthusiasts.

Mike