PDA

View Full Version : Grout Sponge? Yes or No

Agent 99
Jul 31st, 2012, 12:36 PM
I have ordered the "Shmitt" but in the mean time I am temped to use a Home Depot grout sponge on my 3 day old black VW Golf.

Wait for the Shmitt or use the sponge?

thanks

Murr1525
Jul 31st, 2012, 12:39 PM
Havent used a Shmitt, but if the Shmitt has a chance of being safer, its worth a few days wait.

Agent 99
Jul 31st, 2012, 01:04 PM
Havent used a Shmitt, but if the Shmitt has a chance of being safer, its worth a few days wait.

OK. And I didnt mention, this will be the new Golf's very first wash besides what those monkeys did to it at the dealer. :(

h_bomm
Jul 31st, 2012, 02:31 PM
Maybe a dumb question but what is a "Schmitt"?

Agent 99
Jul 31st, 2012, 02:36 PM
No c. Google Shmitt wash mitt.

Supposed to be the best thing to use. Ever! I'll review it.

h_bomm
Jul 31st, 2012, 06:13 PM
Sweet, thanks! Looking forward to your review!

davey g-force
Jul 31st, 2012, 06:38 PM
I too am interested in seeing your review on the Shmitt.

Agent 99
Aug 1st, 2012, 12:29 PM
http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?55842-I-m-done-detailing-Forget-it

View that thread.

I didn't like it. It didn't hold much soapy stuff. Meguiars MF is what I'm sticking with. I felt there was too much friction (common in foam mitts) to the point where it was kinda scary to rub on my paint. I didn't bother taking many pics. Took a couple of the mitt before I started but then was pressed for time.

Anyway, stick with what you already like.

h_bomm
Aug 1st, 2012, 01:26 PM
That's too bad. I looked it up on google like you said and read the product description on auto geek and was hoping that you had good things to say about it. I read your other thread in the detailing 101 forum. Maybe see what you can do about removing the swirls and give it another try when it cools off a bit. Maybe the dealer just covered up already existing swirls like was suggested. As for the heat, yeah, it's been like 90-95 degrees and so humid you can hardly breathe up here too for about a month/month and a half so I feel your pain!

davey g-force
Aug 1st, 2012, 01:33 PM
Great, thanks for the heads up.

I suspected it may be a gimmick. I thought it unusual to be going back to sponge/foam when most people are claiming MF to be the superior wash media these days.