PDA

View Full Version : Leather Sealer System

Michael Stoops
Oct 17th, 2012, 03:24 PM
http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/data/2060/leathersealer.png

Product Attributes:

Long lasting protection for automotive leather
Great for new cars as a preventative protection to stains and cracking
Protects against stains like; ink, lipstick, food & beverages.
Great for older cars that have lost their clear coat and luster
2 step system, prep in step 1 and follow with the Leather Guard in step 2
2-3 times per year treatment

Size: 2 - 6oz bottles with towel & applicator pad
Part Number: G3800
MSRP: $14.99

Alfisti
Oct 29th, 2012, 08:17 AM
Great idea guys! :thankyou1

Is it acrylic based? Does it make the leather slippery?

Shawn T.
Oct 29th, 2012, 09:01 AM
Nice! Another pretty easy up-sale on details!

Works like a sealant? Does the Leather Guard haze or do we wipe on wipe off?

Michael Stoops
Oct 29th, 2012, 10:04 AM
The Leather Sealer is a water based, polymer fortified coating - think of it sort of like Ultimate Protectant but for leather. It will add virtually zero gloss to the finish and applies like a typical leather conditioner. It has moisturizers in it, but due to the polymer load it's durability is far greater than other typical conditioners. The primary function here is to act as a barrier against dirt and stains, but primarily it takes the brunt of the abrasive action that even light dirt creates, which is what wears down the protective coating on automotive leather. Giving the finish a proper cleaning with the provided cleaner first, then coating with the Leather Sealer, should keep your leather moisturized, supple, and looking great for years to come.

bmrfan
Oct 29th, 2012, 10:42 AM
Another promising product. Can't wait to try this one out.

STRIFE
Oct 29th, 2012, 11:07 AM
Gotta get this for my G's leather seats! Wish it was around back in 2005 when I bought the G!

mb911
Oct 29th, 2012, 12:39 PM
So if we aren't obsessed with "sealing," our seats would the more traditional products probably still be best?

I was told before that the other Meguiar's leather care products did not contain any animal products, like animal oils/fats. Is this the same?

Michael Stoops
Oct 29th, 2012, 01:23 PM
Still no animal oils/fats/etc in this product. Honestly, it's extremely doubtful that Meguiar's will ever use any sort of animal material in any of our products. And if sealing your leather is not terribly important but you still want a good moisturizing/conditioning product, stick with our existing offerings.

Murr1525
Oct 29th, 2012, 02:44 PM
What would be the usual maintenance after using this?

Michael Stoops
Oct 29th, 2012, 02:58 PM
We recommend cleaning and applying the sealant - so basically using the full kit - 2 to 3 times per year depending on use.

Murr1525
Oct 29th, 2012, 03:09 PM
Maybe QID, no other leather product, etc in between?

Detailing by M
Oct 29th, 2012, 03:34 PM
this is perfect for "mom taxis"
I try to get them to cover the carseat area and they never do.
so I'll sell them this system

mb911
Oct 29th, 2012, 06:19 PM
Still no animal oils/fats/etc in this product. Honestly, it's extremely doubtful that Meguiar's will ever use any sort of animal material in any of our products. And if sealing your leather is not terribly important but you still want a good moisturizing/conditioning product, stick with our existing offerings.

Thank you Mr. Stoops. This makes me feel very good that you do not use such ingredients in your products. I thank you tremendously.

This is a neat new product. Thanks for introducing it even if I might still stay with the traditional product. We shall see!

tel196
Oct 29th, 2012, 06:42 PM
Any idea if or when this will be in Australia and the cost? We are getting a car with leather and I am already worried about protecting it :) I have already bought the gold class leather cleaner conditioner and ultimate protectant for the other interior parts.

PPLd
Oct 30th, 2012, 03:32 PM
I cant see it clearly in the photo but is this an aerosol spray?

davey g-force
Oct 30th, 2012, 05:44 PM
Any idea if or when this will be in Australia and the cost?

Judging by previous newly released products, if we're lucky, we'll have it by July 2013. You can always just get it from the US though..

BTLew81
Oct 30th, 2012, 05:47 PM
Mike....how would this work on VW "leatherette?" Also, is this something that can be used on other leather surfaces, such as steering wheels or shifters?

Thanks

tel196
Nov 1st, 2012, 12:29 AM
Any idea if or when this will be in Australia and the cost?

Judging by previous newly released products, if we're lucky, we'll have it by July 2013. You can always just get it from the US though..

Where do you get your products if they are in the US without getting smashed for postage?
I tend to just go to supercheap auto for my products.
But I would love to get this earlier if at all possible.

davey g-force
Nov 1st, 2012, 12:25 PM
Where do you get your products if they are in the US without getting smashed for postage?
I tend to just go to supercheap auto for my products.
But I would love to get this earlier if at all possible.

I ususally get them through Autogeek. Yes, you get 'smashed' for postage, but the cost of the products is so much cheaper over there (especially with how strong our dollar is atm) that it's usually worth it. Even more worth it if you get several products at once...

tel196
Nov 1st, 2012, 09:41 PM
Thanks I will have to check out their site to see how much I can save.

Alfisti
Nov 2nd, 2012, 01:55 AM
I ususally get them through Autogeek. Yes, you get 'smashed' for postage, but the cost of the products is so much cheaper over there (especially with how strong our dollar is atm) that it's usually worth it. Even more worth it if you get several products at once...
Autogeek use USPS but charge about 4x as much USPS charge. I stopped using Autogeek due to the international postage ripoff. I think they use the international 'suckers' to subsidize their domestic 'free shipping' promos.

rwright
Nov 2nd, 2012, 12:13 PM
Autogeek use USPS but charge about 4x as much USPS charge. I stopped using Autogeek due to the international postage ripoff. I think they use the international 'suckers' to subsidize their domestic 'free shipping' promos.

Along with higher prices :chuckle1

jfelbab
Nov 3rd, 2012, 05:55 AM
I'm delighted to see this product from Meguiar's. I have used another leather protectant product on my leathers for many years and often wished Meguiar's offered a leather protectant. If you have lighter colored leather, a product that prevents dye transfer from jeans or other stains from setting into the clear coat is vital to keeping your leather looking good for years.

In many ways a leather protectant is like a sealant on your car's paint yet I believe it allows moisture to transpire into and out of the leather which will help to keep the leather soft and supple with less creasing. Correct me if I'm wrong, Mike.

I'll be keeping an eye out for this product as soon as it is released and will write up a review.

jcat
Nov 3rd, 2012, 07:23 PM
I'm delighted to see this product from Meguiar's. I have used another leather protectant product on my leathers for many years and often wished Meguiar's offered a leather protectant. If you have lighter colored leather, a product that prevents dye transfer from jeans or other stains from setting into the clear coat is vital to keeping your leather looking good for years.

In many ways a leather protectant is like a sealant on your car's paint yet I believe it allows moisture to transpire into and out of the leather which will help to keep the leather soft and supple with less creasing. Correct me if I'm wrong, Mike.

I'll be keeping an eye out for this product as soon as it is released and will write up a review.

Oh hey Jim! :wavey

I do have one question...for cars such as my (and Jim's for that matter) Lexus, the leather seats are already sealed with a polyurethane. Would you still recommend this as an add-on to the poly sealant already on the leather or stick to traditional products?

Michael Stoops
Nov 5th, 2012, 09:39 AM
Mike....how would this work on VW "leatherette?" Also, is this something that can be used on other leather surfaces, such as steering wheels or shifters?

ThanksYes on all counts.

Yes on all counts.

Oh hey Jim! :wavey

I do have one question...for cars such as my (and Jim's for that matter) Lexus, the leather seats are already sealed with a polyurethane. Would you still recommend this as an add-on to the poly sealant already on the leather or stick to traditional products?
Most cars with leather interiors have a protective coating on them from the factory. This coating is a highly engineered, semi permeable coating that is designed to look, feel and act like the leather below it. It's there, in part, to protect the dye or other colorants used in the leather from abrasive wear and tear. But it is semi permeable and any moisturizer type product (which is really what most "leather conditioners" are) will keep both it and the leather beneath it soft and supple. Cleaning this coating is important because once dirt becomes embedded in it, that dirt acts almost like a fine sandpaper, abrading the coating and thinning it out. As Jim points out above, this new Leather Sealer of ours is sort of like a sealant for your paint (or our Ultimate Protectant, more directly, for leather). As such, it provides both those moisturizers and an additional layer of protective coating that acts like a sacrificial barrier - just as waxes and sealants are for your paint - that will take the hit, so to speak, before the factory coating does.

DAC17
Nov 6th, 2012, 06:09 PM
Any idea if this product (or other Meguiar's leather products, for that matter) will work on BMW "Leatherette"?

Thanks.

Alfisti
Nov 6th, 2012, 09:16 PM
Michael just answered that on the previous post.

DAC17
Nov 7th, 2012, 03:00 AM
Yup; didn't read after page 2 and just skipped to my question. Mea culpa.

lionshark
Jan 2nd, 2013, 08:18 PM
should we put conditioner on it before we use it? would this extra step be unnecessary?

Michael Stoops
Jan 3rd, 2013, 08:06 AM
No, you can simply use the two steps provided in this kit and call it a day.

EPHIOS
Jan 28th, 2013, 06:26 AM
This would be good on our black leather couch.

tenaci0usB
Feb 10th, 2013, 10:57 AM
For on-going monthly maintenance and conditioning, should I be using the sealant, or leather conditioner? i.e. Is it safe to use other products over the sealant? Also is there any point?

Detailing by M
Feb 10th, 2013, 11:01 AM
this system "seals" the leather.
no need for monthly maintains.
once this is applied that's it.

jfelbab
Feb 10th, 2013, 01:17 PM
My $0.02 on the care of protected leather.

With or without a sealer, protected leather needs regular maintenance. For me that includes a major cleaning 2-4 times a year and resealing with a water-based fluorocarbon protector. This routine maintenance also includes a weekly wipe down with UQD or a wrung out cotton towel. It is this weekly maintenance that keeps the leather hydrated, supple and lessens the leather's penchant for creasing/cracking. The leather, whether sealed or not, is hydrated by a process called transpiration. In essence, leather is a fibrous substance and absorbs moisture via elevated humidity in close proximity, even through the urethane coating. Conditioners act in a similar manner on protected leather in that they are mostly water and increase the humidity in close proximity to the leather, rehydrating them. Nothing but proper hydration is needed to maintain the suppleness of leather. Leather's ultimate softness is determined in the tanning process. No amount of conditioners/oils can alter that. The process imbeds all the oils (fat liquors) and chemicals the leather can ever need or use. These are not lost over time. What is lost over time is the moisture level. Keep in mind that leather shrinks when it is dry and swells when it is hydrated. This repeated process is what can cause cracks and creases in leather.

Automobile leather is subjected to very extreme environments from temps over 150 degrees F to sometimes well below zero F. Humidity levels are all over the map. Weekly wipe downs will keep your leather soft and supple and regular cleaning will keep the topcoat in good condition. Cleaning of protected leather is really just the process removing surface dirt that is sitting on the urethane topcoat of the leather. It is important to remove this dirt so as not to burnish or degrade the topcoat.

I personally don't use leather conditioners but do I use a protectant (sealer) and regular hydration to keep my leather looking like new. If you have damaged leather, using an oily conditioner will excerbate the damage as the oil gets into the actual leather and loosen the adhesion of the topcoat. I have protected leather that is over 25 years old that still looks like new so I know my processes work. I'd suggest to use whatever process works for you and use it often.

Detailing by M
Feb 10th, 2013, 01:40 PM
^^^.... more like a buck fifty's worth of advise.. :) that is exactly how to take care of leather.
Keep it clean and protected, just like paint, as it is "painted leather"

One valuable bit of advise is NEVER use a silicone base dressing/conditioner. Silicone will destroy leather.
As long as the product is "made for Leather" then you'll be ok.

DjOrionXTR
Mar 3rd, 2013, 05:53 PM
So, I thought I would register and share my opinion on this product. First, let me start off by saying this product is amazing!!! I thought it was going to be another one of those "wanna-be" cleaners and I would just end up scrubbing to get things clean. Well I was wrong. Let this product do the scrubbing for you. I have a 2003 10th Anniversary Cobra. It comes with dark gray and red leather seats. My drivers seat from being a 10 year old car was starting to look a little darker compared to the rest of the seats. So, i decided to give this product a try from reading some good reviews on it. It turned out to be great. Since my drivers seat was my main concern i started with it first. I sprayed directly onto the red leather on a little spot and wiped it off. I sprayed again, wiped, and noticed it was getting clean. I wasent even putting any force onto the rag that comes with the kit. So i kept spraying on that spot till it was bright red again. I started smiling. I couldn't believe that this was actually working. Finally..a product that did the job. Just take your time and do it right the first time. Best part about the cleaner was that I never had to use any force to get the dirt and stuff to come out the seats pores.

Detailing by M
Mar 3rd, 2013, 05:57 PM
^^^ what are you talking about?
this is a thread on the sealer system.
Are you talking about the new leather cleaner?

kiwiatlarge
Apr 19th, 2013, 08:47 PM
Finally found some in-store in the country... Now for a nice day to try it on the leather seats on the HSV... :)

juliom2
Apr 20th, 2013, 01:36 PM
http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k603/juliom2/DSC05469_zps6ddef4ad.jpg

Easy two step procedure....

http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k603/juliom2/DSC05479_zps403fd023.jpg

Helps you protect the interior from common stains like, grease, makeup, ketchup and other common stains...

http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k603/juliom2/DSC05480_zps9cdb6c7d.jpg

http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k603/juliom2/DSC05470_zpsdb716a8f.jpg

Step one Leather Prep.

http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k603/juliom2/DSC05471_zps478e00fc.jpg

Step Two Leather Sealer.....

http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k603/juliom2/DSC05472_zps91651146.jpg

Atomizer fro the sealer Step included.....

http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k603/juliom2/DSC05473_zps8fa353a9.jpg

Foam Pad and Microfiber Towel.....

http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k603/juliom2/DSC05474_zpsbc13c8ab.jpg

http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k603/juliom2/DSC05475_zpsfb043724.jpg

http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k603/juliom2/DSC05476_zps6f615b74.jpg

http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k603/juliom2/DSC05478_zps421e1ded.jpg

http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k603/juliom2/DSC05481_zps9d1f892d.jpg

HPR56
Apr 20th, 2013, 03:34 PM
Thanks for the product info Mike. I will be buying a couple boxes of this for our rides very soon.

The Guz
Sep 22nd, 2013, 06:28 PM
I just bought this and tried it this weekend on the leather seats, the leather part of the door panels and the leather part of the steering wheel that houses the airbag on my 99 Pontiac GRand Prix GT. I followed the directions and I am very happy with the results. Another great product that I will be using on my cars and a product that I would recommend to my family. I paired this with ultimate protectant spray on the rest of the interior which is vinyl, rubber and plastic.

The Guz
Oct 1st, 2013, 04:24 PM
I have one question. I have used this on both of my cars so far. I still have some of the prep cleaner and a lot of the sealer. I have plans to do another car that has a little more leather. What would be a good alternative cleaner to use that would still work with the sealer I have remaining?

jfelbab
Oct 1st, 2013, 05:38 PM
I have one question. I have used this on both of my cars so far. I still have some of the prep cleaner and a lot of the sealer. I have plans to do another car that has a little more leather. What would be a good alternative cleaner to use that would still work with the sealer I have remaining?

Woolite (blue & white bottle) mixed 1:20 (5% solution) with water makes a very decent cleaner for protected leather. As with any cleaners, it is a good idea to wipe the leather down with a wrung out towel to remove any trace of the detergent. This is pretty much what Lexus recommends for cleaning their leather.

From the 2014 RX330 owners manual:

Cleaning the leather areas

● Remove dirt and dust using a vacuum cleaner.
● Wipe any excess dirt and dust with a soft cloth dampened with diluted detergent.
Use a diluted water solution of approximately 5% neutral wool detergent.
● Wring out any excess water from the cloth and thoroughly wipeoff all remaining traces of detergent.
● Wipe the surface with a dry, soft cloth to remove any remaining moisture. Allow the leather to dry in a shaded and ventilated area.

The Guz
Oct 2nd, 2013, 04:51 PM
Thanks.

Found this after a little searching.
http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?58263-Questions-on-leather-sealer-system

CHammel
Oct 7th, 2013, 09:34 AM
New Member here.
This is a really useful thread and I found it very interesting.
I just bought a used Lexus IS250, their entry level model, and what confounds me is trying to determine what is and what isn't leather/where the leather ends and the vinyl/leatherette begins. The leather in the Lexus is polyurethane coated.
They craft that vinyl/leatherette so cleverly that it's extremely difficult to tell the difference and I'd love to see some suggestions on how to positively tell the two apart.

Stephan
Oct 7th, 2013, 10:09 AM
In my Acura it's a texture thing. The faux leather is like silky smooth. The leather you can kind of feel the grain. Like the difference between lambskin and regular leather jacket.

Just about everything besides the FRONT (and maybe wraps around to the sides) surfaces of the seats seem to be vinyl.

Also, the leather conditioner I use doesn't seem to absorb into the fake stuff and doesn't darken it like it does to the leather. The middle of my back seat and arm rest acts like the vinyl too.

CHammel
Oct 7th, 2013, 10:16 AM
Just about everything besides the FRONT (and maybe wraps around to the sides) surfaces of the seats seem to be vinyl.

That seems to be my experience also. The perforated leather strip in the center of each seat is leather, definitely. It seems, on my car, that the bolsters (which your hips touch) are leather but I'm still not sure if the bolsters (where your shoulders and sides touch) are or are not leather.

The Guz
Oct 7th, 2013, 11:00 AM
Do you have a photo of what your interior looks like?

CHammel
Oct 7th, 2013, 11:34 AM
Do you have a photo of what your interior looks like?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hgj1788gehqvsje/IMG_0821.jpghttps://www.dropbox.com/s/4hc3xlpn8o00dqb/IMG_0820.jpghttps://www.dropbox.com/s/zme16iss8pp6wxb/IMG_0819.jpg

OK, I moved the photos to my Dropbox account, clicked here on Insert Image, cut and pasted in the link to that image, and now lets see if it worked.

Nope. Failed.

Here are the links to the three photos:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zme16iss8pp6wxb/IMG_0819.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4hc3xlpn8o00dqb/IMG_0820.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hgj1788gehqvsje/IMG_0821.jpg

How does one use Insert Image? I.e., where you get the URL to the photos from?

Stephan
Oct 7th, 2013, 11:45 AM
The Insert image fail may have something to do with the httpS: secureconnection, don't know.

At any rate, check out http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?60104-How-To-Inserting-Images-Creating-Photo-Albums&p=537992#post537992 for some image insertion info.

davey g-force
Oct 7th, 2013, 12:03 PM
where you get the URL to the photos from?

Right click on the photo and go to "Properties". Copy the URL from there and paste it into your post with either side of it..

The Guz
Jan 26th, 2014, 04:10 PM
Used the leather sealer system again today as part of my routine leather maintenance. It is the second time and I have to say that this is a great product. I actually used gold class leather & vinyl cleaner as I had used up the cleaner from the leather sealer system. It makes for a nice substitute.

Eldorado2k
Feb 16th, 2014, 11:38 PM
Hey Guz, what do you use for weekly/bi weekly maintenence while in between re applying the sealent? And based on your experience with it, are there any types of products that seem to be more ideal for maintenence than others? I've always been a fan of GC wipes for weekly maintenence and Im wondering if they would still be ideal or not with the this sealant.

Also, how do you choose to apply the sealant? Glossy or do you wipe off excess for a more matte finish? And what characteristics are noticably different with this sealant in place? How do you know it may be time to re seal? Is there a visable difference or feel that made you think it was time to re apply? Thx in advance. I'm interested to know more about this product from experienced users.

The Guz
Feb 17th, 2014, 08:52 AM
It depends. Sometimes I use just a microfiber to go over the seats to remove light dust or sometimes I spray a little quik interior detailer on a microfiber and wipe off. Either seems to work well. I'm not a fan of the wipes but if it works for you then I say keep using them. I have used this twice on my personal car with both a glossy finish and a matte finish. The finish depends on the mood I am in. With either finish I wipe off any excess product. It gives the seats a slicker feel to them with it on. I apply it every 3 months.

The Guz
Jul 7th, 2014, 02:44 PM
Just used it again this weekend on my dad's leather interior for his camaro. I was out of the cleaner so I picked up a bottle of Gold Class Leather & Vinyl cleaner and followed that up with the sealer. He's good for the next few months. I highly recommend this to anyone that has leather interior. So easy to use and is very durable. Does not alter the appearance of the leather. All we need is a larger size of the sealer in the detailer or mirror glaze line.

The Guz
Oct 31st, 2015, 08:27 PM
I have not used this in quite some time but I decided to use it today. I went with a different application media. Instead of a foam applicator, I used a microfiber applicator. I felt it applied more evenly and spread out better with the microfiber applicator versus the foam. I did take a photo of the darkening effect it has. I cleaned the leather prior to application. One of my favorite leather products.

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/data/2414/medium/IMG_4295a.jpg

willowcatfish
Jan 5th, 2016, 08:07 PM
Guz, Thank you for your continued updates on using this product. I just received mine in the mail today from AG, and will be applying it tomorrow morning. I will also be putting on the New Aerosol Version of UB from my Exterior Trim. I am making sure to take photos this time.

Thank you for your helpful tests, and reviews!

Ray