PDA

View Full Version : Water Spot Remover

Michael Stoops
Oct 17th, 2012, 03:43 PM
http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/data/2060/waterspotremover.png

Product Attributes:

Clear coat safe SMAT abrasive technology
Hand or machine application
A sprayable, multi-surface water spot remover
Paint, hard plastics, chrome, metal & glass
NOT for use on matte paint, rubber, vinyl or soft trim
Easy to use
Cleans and polishes
2-in-1 product
The defect correction of a compound WITH the gloss enhancement of a polish

Size: 14 oz trigger spray
Part Number: A3714
MSRP: $9.99

luc.who
Oct 29th, 2012, 08:21 AM
This is awesome...cleaning my new black tundra I already have spots, looking forward to using this.

Alfisti
Oct 29th, 2012, 08:25 AM
A sprayable compound/polish...where have I seen that before? ;)

I guess the obvious question that will arise is,apart from watermarks, can it remove defects/swirls?

Murr1525
Oct 29th, 2012, 09:16 AM
Yes, what exactly is it able to do?

Michael Stoops
Oct 29th, 2012, 09:16 AM
A sprayable compound/polish...where have I seen that before? ;)

I guess the obvious question that will arise is,apart from watermarks, can it remove defects/swirls?
Hmmm.... yes, were have we seen a sprayable compound before????:chuckle1

As to the "obvious question", yes, it most certainly can remove defects and swirls. Looking at this from the perspective of "the average consumer" who has a specific need to remove water spots, a liquid compound isn't necessarily his first thought. One of our competitors in the consumer space has a water spot remover for glass only, while this new product of ours is suitable for glass, hard plastics, paint, chrome, etc. Those of you who are a bit more "in the know" when it comes to surface care (hey, you guys hang out on forums and this is your hobby so you delve much deeper into all this stuff than the average car owner does) understand where this product is coming from. While a spray delivery is a bit odd for use with a buffer, it makes perfect sense for working by hand. That's not to say you can't use this with a buffer, because you certainly can. But the thinner viscosity and the wider dispersion you get by spraying rather than pouring could very well mean that you'll get some slinging when using a buffer, but it is most certainly a viable option here.

STRIFE
Oct 29th, 2012, 10:57 AM
Dang.... I just ordered a bottle of glass polish /CarPro from ADS

imacarnut
Oct 29th, 2012, 11:50 AM
Looks to be another solid offering, good job!

davey g-force
Oct 30th, 2012, 09:45 PM
This looks cool. I was toying with the idea of trying a sprayable compound...

Alfisti
Oct 31st, 2012, 05:15 AM
Hmmm.... yes, were have we seen a sprayable compound before????:chuckle1

As to the "obvious question", yes, it most certainly can remove defects and swirls. Looking at this from the perspective of "the average consumer" who has a specific need to remove water spots, a liquid compound isn't necessarily his first thought. One of our competitors in the consumer space has a water spot remover for glass only, while this new product of ours is suitable for glass, hard plastics, paint, chrome, etc. Those of you who are a bit more "in the know" when it comes to surface care (hey, you guys hang out on forums and this is your hobby so you delve much deeper into all this stuff than the average car owner does) understand where this product is coming from. While a spray delivery is a bit odd for use with a buffer, it makes perfect sense for working by hand. That's not to say you can't use this with a buffer, because you certainly can. But the thinner viscosity and the wider dispersion you get by spraying rather than pouring could very well mean that you'll get some slinging when using a buffer, but it is most certainly a viable option here.
Seeing as it's an off-label application you may not know, but I'll ask:

How much cut does it have for swirl removal? :cool:

Michael Stoops
Oct 31st, 2012, 08:16 AM
Dang.... I just ordered a bottle of glass polish /CarPro from ADSYou ordered a very good product, Strife, don't sweat it. The CarPro product uses cerium oxide which can actually be used to polish very fine scratches out of glass when used with a rotary buffer and a special pad. It's maybe a bit overkill just for water spots on glass, but it will certainly work.

Seeing as it's an off-label application you may not know, but I'll ask:

How much cut does it have for swirl removal? :cool:Funny you should ask..... the overall cut is a bit below Ultimate Compound, but not by much. In the general consumer space people tend to look for a product that addresses a specific need they have - scratch removal, water spots, oxidation, etc - because they haven't been fully educated about car care. For example, you'd be amazed how many people still think a wax should remove all those defects and they call and complain when it doesn't.

For enthusiasts who spend time on detailing forums, those of you for whom this is a hobby that you're very immersed in, you know how diverse certain products can be - like using Ultimate Compound for isolated scratches, swirls, oxidation, water spots, on either paint, chrome, glass, headlights, etc. The average guy on the street, however, would think we were nuts if we packaged a product that claimed to "do it all", which is what that list of things you can do with Ultimate Compound sounds like. People would think that was just a bunch of marketing hype, that we were overpromising what a product could do, and they wouldn't buy it.

For those of you who are curious about a sprayable compound that might make it easier or more convenient to deliver product to your buffing pad, this could be just what you're looking for. Of course, you would not want to spray this onto a panel and then start machine polishing because you'd sling product all over the place!

davey g-force
Oct 31st, 2012, 12:20 PM
the overall cut is a bit below Ultimate Compound, but not by much.

This is what I wanted to know. Thanks Mike :)

Perhaps this product can be added to the "order of agressivness chart" which we often see circulating around?

h_bomm
Oct 31st, 2012, 02:03 PM
Would this be something the "average joe" could use with a flying saucer type orbital buffer with any success?

Alfisti
Nov 1st, 2012, 03:27 AM
Funny you should ask..... the overall cut is a bit below Ultimate Compound, but not by much. In the general consumer space people tend to look for a product that addresses a specific need they have - scratch removal, water spots, oxidation, etc - because they haven't been fully educated about car care. For example, you'd be amazed how many people still think a wax should remove all those defects and they call and complain when it doesn't.

For enthusiasts who spend time on detailing forums, those of you for whom this is a hobby that you're very immersed in, you know how diverse certain products can be - like using Ultimate Compound for isolated scratches, swirls, oxidation, water spots, on either paint, chrome, glass, headlights, etc. The average guy on the street, however, would think we were nuts if we packaged a product that claimed to "do it all", which is what that list of things you can do with Ultimate Compound sounds like. People would think that was just a bunch of marketing hype, that we were overpromising what a product could do, and they wouldn't buy it.

For those of you who are curious about a sprayable compound that might make it easier or more convenient to deliver product to your buffing pad, this could be just what you're looking for. Of course, you would not want to spray this onto a panel and then start machine polishing because you'd sling product all over the place!
Great info....someone's been playing around with the product. ;)

Spray compounds are best sprayed onto the pad for better distribution and no sling.

1994Gen1L
Nov 1st, 2012, 06:21 AM
It's great to see Meg's coming out with new products that will directly compete with Optimum Polymer Technologies, Hi-Temp Detail Products and Duragloss.

Alfisti
Nov 1st, 2012, 06:36 AM
It's great to see Meg's coming out with new products that will directly compete with Optimum Polymer Technologies, Hi-Temp Detail Products and Duragloss.
I think Megs has been doing that for many, many years. ;)

Jomax
Nov 1st, 2012, 08:28 AM
Crazy this will have almost the same cut as UC! The question is, on soft paint will it Mar the paint?

GhOsT1321
Nov 1st, 2012, 09:17 AM
I would assume so as just about any product, and even some of the very soft microfiber towels tend to mar delicate paint. I think the answer would depend primarily on the paints delicacy, the user, products, and application.

1994Gen1L
Nov 1st, 2012, 11:29 AM
I think Megs has been doing that for many, many years. ;)

I was thinking specifically about the past few years; White Wax vs. Duragloss 501, Black Wax vs. Hi-Temp Midnight Express, Water Spot Remover vs. Optimum Hyper Polish/Hyper Compound, Meg's Ultimate Wash & Wax Anywhere vs. Optimum No-Rinse Wash & Shine and Meg's Ultimate Quick Wax vs. Duragloss AquaWax. The complete Ultimate line of products vs. the competition.

Just saying it's nice to see new and improved products every year.

Michael Stoops
Nov 5th, 2012, 09:53 AM
Crazy this will have almost the same cut as UC! The question is, on soft paint will it Mar the paint?That depends on a lot of variables........

I would assume so as just about any product, and even some of the very soft microfiber towels tend to mar delicate paint. I think the answer would depend primarily on the paints delicacy, the user, products, and application.

On very soft paint, with a finishing pad and a light touch, it may or may not mar the finish. Really delicate paint often requires a special touch, regardless of product and pad used, and sometimes you can't help but create some micromarring while removing more severe defects. In that case, a follow up with a very fine finishing polish is called for. Of course, in some cases on delicate paint that finishing polish is all you need to correct defects. Depending on the defects, of course! ;)

gmitch23
Nov 5th, 2012, 07:56 PM
When will these products become available?

strader327
Apr 20th, 2013, 06:16 PM
Whatzzz it SMELL like? :p

Alfisti
Apr 21st, 2013, 05:21 AM
Does this have any acidic component that acts as a secondary spot remover?

BrandIdeator
Oct 6th, 2013, 02:32 PM
I bought this product a while back hoping that it'd cure my persistent water spots (done by previous owner). I applied the remover with a foam pad and it didn't work how I'd hoped.

BUT, I've since bought a DAP and what a world of difference!!!! I'm incredibly thrilled! Not only did it remove those pesky water spots, it even removed the faint pitting in my windshield. I first spread the product on the lowest (1) setting and then polished it out on its highest (6) speed. An absolute world of difference.

Thank you Meguiar's!

Rashpal
May 12th, 2020, 02:50 AM
Do u use this product before or after claying?

Nick Winn
May 12th, 2020, 07:07 AM
Do u use this product before or after claying?

Hi Rashpal,

Ideally, one would use this product after claying, if indeed, the vehicle you are working on needs to be clayed.

Rashpal
May 13th, 2020, 09:54 PM
Thanks so much
Hi Rashpal,

Ideally, one would use this product after claying, if indeed, the vehicle you are working on needs to be clayed.