PDA

View Full Version : Meguiar's Soft Buff DA Foam Discs and Backing Plates

Michael Stoops
Sep 16th, 2014, 02:36 PM
Meguiar's Soft Buff DA Foam Discs & Backing Plates (https://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?61956-Meguiar-s-Soft-Buff-DA-Foam-Discs-and-Backing-Plates)

We are very pleased to announce an entirely new lineup of foam discs specifically for DA use. You read that right, "foam discs" rather than pads. These are very low profile (17.5mm or about 11/16") discs allow for better power transfer from the tool to the paint. What does that mean for you, the end user? More cut and a smoother feel through the tool!

For the first time ever, we now offer a foam cutting disc for DA use. We used to caution against use of our previous foam cutting pads for DA use due to potential heat issues at the interface, as well as a high probability of hazing the paint. Well, with this new foam that's all ancient history. The color may be the same, but everything else about this foam is different, and it's fantastic on a DA buffer.
http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/data/2294/da-foam-cut.jpg

This is the exact same yellow foam used in our Soft Buff 2.0 pads, but in this thin disc configuration you can expect an increase in cutting ability with your favorite compound or cleaner.
http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/data/2294/da-foam-polish.jpg

A dramatic change in foam formulation means this new finishing disc will give you an even smoother feel while buffing, and deliver a better finish overall with your favorite finishing polish.
http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/data/2294/da-foam-finish.jpg

Our 3" DA backing plate is now fitted with a permanent mount instead of the various options. We've even got built in markings to aid in visualizing pad rotation, so no more marking up the back of your backing plate so you can see if the pad is actually spinning! Three sizes for all traditional style DA buffers.
http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/data/2294/da-plates.jpg

This handy chart guides you through pad and backing plate selection for DA use.
http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/data/2294/da-options.jpg

Here's a little demonstration of the power of the new DFC5 foam cutting pad used with the new MT300 DA tool and Ultimate Compound. The tool was set to 4800 OPM and only moderate pressure was applied. Just one section pass was performed (up & down, side to side, repeat). The panel was then wiped x3 with a 20% IPA solution. The car had heavy swirls as well as holograms inflicted by a "professional" detailer.
<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/110421082" width="800" height="450" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen="" mozallowfullscreen="" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Christopher.Brown
Nov 4th, 2014, 06:49 AM
These pads are great with their low profile and HIGHLY durable foam which WILL NOT fail under super heavy loads..... a great addition to the DAMF system

Selectchoice
Nov 4th, 2014, 06:50 AM
All I can say is WOW! Meguiar's look to have raised the bar again!

RaskyR1
Nov 4th, 2014, 06:57 AM
I'm loving these new pads! My time with them has been pretty limited so far, but I'm definitely liking them! Well done Meguiar's!!!

C. Charles Hahn
Nov 4th, 2014, 07:11 AM
Finally the low-profile, 5" foam pads many of us have been waiting to see from Meguiar's for years! THANK YOU!!

jarred767
Nov 4th, 2014, 07:15 AM
SOOOO happy that I didn't buy any new pads as I was hoping something like these came out this year. So excited to get my hands on them and great to already hear a few of you that have had the chance to use them and given great reviews on them. Will definitely be purchasing some as soon as they are available. :xyxthumbs:xyxthumbs :db:

Scott's 62
Nov 4th, 2014, 07:27 AM
This is great just in time too my pads are starting to look a little run down.

Michael Stoops
Nov 4th, 2014, 07:36 AM
We're pretty confident that you guys will love these new pads, and the cutting pad especially is a bit of a rock star! It's a whole new foam compared to our previous W7xxx series of burgundy foam. On the DA it is flat out amazing! Personally, I've used it on really hard paint and pretty soft paint as well, and in all cases it cut like a demon and left a great finish. Whether I was using M100, Ultimate Compound, White Wax or D300 the results were universally fantastic. We almost hate to say this, but if you've ever struggled with heavy haze on very soft paint when using microfiber pads, this new cutting pad is just an incredible alternative. The finishing disc also uses totally new foam for even better finishing and smoother operation/feel. If you're currently using a G110v2 DA buffer, you'll notice the weight of these pads and their thin construction will pretty much transform that tool - it becomes much smoother in operation with these pads versus larger pads, whether our outgoing Soft Buff 2.0 pads or even other 6" pads.

jarred767
Nov 4th, 2014, 07:55 AM
Can these new pads be used with the more powerful DAs like a flex 3401 or a Rupes 21?

Setec Astronomy
Nov 4th, 2014, 08:04 AM
The new backing plates are optional for the new pads? No Velcro issues like when the MF pads came out and it was recommended that you only use the new/current backing plate?

And no foam pads for the 3" backing plate? (hint hint)

C. Charles Hahn
Nov 4th, 2014, 08:05 AM
We're pretty confident that you guys will love these new pads, and the cutting pad especially is a bit of a rock star! It's a whole new foam compared to our previous W7xxx series of burgundy foam. On the DA it is flat out amazing! Personally, I've used it on really hard paint and pretty soft paint as well, and in all cases it cut like a demon and left a great finish. Whether I was using M100, Ultimate Compound, White Wax or D300 the results were universally fantastic. We almost hate to say this, but if you've ever struggled with heavy haze on very soft paint when using microfiber pads, this new cutting pad is just an incredible alternative. The finishing disc also uses totally new foam for even better finishing and smoother operation/feel. If you're currently using a G110v2 DA buffer, you'll notice the weight of these pads and their thin construction will pretty much transform that tool - it becomes much smoother in operation with these pads versus larger pads, whether our outgoing Soft Buff 2.0 pads or even other 6" pads.

So, that begs a question: given the 7" Soft Buff 2.0 have been replaced with revised offerings, are the original SoftBuff 6.5" pads also being discontinued in favor of the 6" variant of these new pads?

Michael Stoops
Nov 4th, 2014, 08:09 AM
Can these new pads be used with the more powerful DAs like a flex 3401 or a Rupes 21?
Yes, and that's we offer them in 6" size which is the perfect fit for those tools. And they are awesome on those tools, too! You may be aware of some thicker pads that have a very hard time holding up to the violent nature of the Rupes 21, but these pads don't suffer that. A large part of that is due to the thinner nature of these pads, which makes for less horizontal damping than you get from a thicker pad - especially with softer or less dense foam. We generally think about the cushioning effect of a pad in the vertical plane, but horizontally there can be a stretching of the foam as the tool forces it to change direction. The part of the pad closest to the backing plate will move with the tool while the foam in contact with the paint lags behind as the foam is stretched. We've read many, many accounts of a certain competitor's microfiber pads, that utilize fairly thick and quite soft foam, being destroyed by the Rupes 21 in less than 1/2 a car worth of work. That's not to say anything negative against the Rupes 21 - it's a great tool, for sure - but that very tall stroke can wreak havoc on lesser pads. These new foam discs play extremely well with that tool.

Michael Stoops
Nov 4th, 2014, 08:19 AM
The new backing plates are optional for the new pads? No Velcro issues like when the MF pads came out and it was recommended that you only use the new/current backing plate?

And no foam pads for the 3" backing plate? (hint hint)
You shouldn't have any issues using these new pads with our previous W67DA backing plate (the one we have always recommended with our DAMF System) or with other similar backing plates. These backing plates are an update on the W67DA as they are more durable with their fiberglass core and additional rivets on the stud plate. These are also suitable for use with our DAMF System. And, no, no 3" versions of these foam pads.

So, that begs a question: given the 7" Soft Buff 2.0 have been replaced with revised offerings, are the original SoftBuff 6.5" pads also being discontinued in favor of the 6" variant of these new pads?
Our entire foam pad lineup has been totally and completely revamped. Gone are all versions of the older pads, with these new DA Foam Discs being our offering for DA polisher use, and the new rotary pads being the only offering for rotary tools.

As mentioned in the product descriptions, the burgundy foam here and on the rotary pads is brand new and quite different from our outgoing burgundy foam pads, regardless of generation. The cutting pads generate less heat than the outgoing pads, and on a DA the old hazing issues are gone and, in fact, the cutting disc on a DA tends to leave a fantastic finish, even on softer paints. The yellow foam construction carries over from the outgoing pads. The black foam finishing, again both here and the rotary pads, is all new and a big step up in finishing ability. Very smooth feel and great for finish polishing on finicky paints.

The Guz
Nov 4th, 2014, 08:58 AM
These new pads and backing plates are nice. Nice to see the 3" backing plate get revamped.

Setec Astronomy
Nov 4th, 2014, 09:27 AM
You shouldn't have any issues using these new pads with our previous W67DA backing plate (the one we have always recommended with our DAMF System) or with other similar backing plates. These backing plates are an update on the W67DA as they are more durable with their fiberglass core and additional rivets on the stud plate. These are also suitable for use with our DAMF System. And, no, no 3" versions of these foam pads.

So the W67DA is being replaced by the new 5" plate? So no 3" pads...4" to go with the 3" backing plate?

BTW fantastic idea putting the rotation line on, and the additional rivets/core make these the plates to beat.

Vettefan
Nov 4th, 2014, 12:49 PM
Can I use the new 6" foam pads with my W68DA Backing plate? Speaking of backing pates, will the new backing platea fit onto my Porter-Cable 7424XP machine which accepts Spindle 5/16 Thread 24?

Thanks!

szladob
Nov 4th, 2014, 03:44 PM
This looks really exciting (although just purchased the W67DA and S3BP pads not so long ago... :( )
Anyhow, hate to ask this, but any chance to update the Let's talk about "Total Cut" chart, as now considering both microfiber and these new foam pads (including the cutting pad), and M100, M101, D300, ultimate polish (just to name a few that is not on the chart), there is endless permutations of product/pad combos, which makes the hobbyist head to start spinning? :help1
Ie. is the new cutting foam discs still less aggressive than the microfiber cutting disc? Many thanks!

KidDetailer
Nov 4th, 2014, 04:10 PM
looks like I'll be putting my unused 7 inch soft buff 2.0 Black/Yellow pads for sale

jarred767
Nov 4th, 2014, 06:06 PM
...now considering both microfiber and these new foam pads (including the cutting pad), and M100, M101, D300, ultimate polish (just to name a few that is not on the chart), there is endless permutations of product/pad combos, which makes the hobbyist head to start spinning? :help1

Then start taking into account all the other companies out there that make very similar products. I do this for a living and can't seem to find the time even try them all before new ones are introduced. You gotta work just to keep up!! But it's better than not having options.

Michael Stoops
Nov 4th, 2014, 11:12 PM
Can I use the new 6" foam pads with my W68DA Backing plate? Speaking of backing pates, will the new backing platea fit onto my Porter-Cable 7424XP machine which accepts Spindle 5/16 Thread 24?

Thanks!No, the new 6" foam discs are not compatible with the W68DA backing plate. That plate does not have hook material all the way to the outer edge so you would lose engagement with the pad - not a good idea at all. These new plates will, however, work with all popular DA tools on the market - G110v2, PC7424, Griot's Garage, Harbor Freight, etc.

This looks really exciting (although just purchased the W67DA and S3BP pads not so long ago... :( )
Anyhow, hate to ask this, but any chance to update the Let's talk about "Total Cut" chart, as now considering both microfiber and these new foam pads (including the cutting pad), and M100, M101, D300, ultimate polish (just to name a few that is not on the chart), there is endless permutations of product/pad combos, which makes the hobbyist head to start spinning? :help1
Ie. is the new cutting foam discs still less aggressive than the microfiber cutting disc? Many thanks!
The new foam cutting disc is very close in aggressiveness to the DMC5 microfiber cutting disc, but on haze prone paint the foam will likely leave a nicer finish. In fact, the foam will likely leave a very nice finish, and we've seen it leave a finish that was LSP ready.

Scottwax
Nov 5th, 2014, 08:02 AM
When will Wash Solutions in Dallas have the pads? Definitely looking forward to trying them out.

Setec Astronomy
Nov 5th, 2014, 08:10 AM
Scott!!!

drumdan
Nov 5th, 2014, 11:53 AM
I've been waiting for these for a while now, and am so glad to see them! I'll be picking up the new 3" & 5" backing plates, and the complete selection of pads. Nice, simple system, guys. Great job!

Daniel Kinder
Nov 5th, 2014, 01:52 PM
Thank You Meguiars!!!! For these pads. As well as other has mentioned, I've been waiting for years for meguiars to come out with a 5'' pad!

Good By Lake Country!!!!!!!!

Can't wait to try the cutting, polishing & Finishing pads with M100/ M205/ D151/ UC/ UP!!

Going to be offered in 3-pk and 6-pk?

Now waiting for Meguiars to get into the coatings so I can go back 100% Meguiars!!!!

jarred767
Nov 5th, 2014, 06:20 PM
Thank You Meguiars!!!! For these pads. As well as other has mentioned, I've been waiting for years for meguiars to come out with a 5'' pad!

Good By Lake Country!!!!!!!!

Can't wait to try the cutting, polishing & Finishing pads with M100/ M205/ D151/ UC/ UP!!

Now waiting for Meguiars to get into the coatings so I can go back 100% Meguiars!!!!

Those have long been my two biggest requests too! We got half way there yesterday, maybe next year for the first Meguiars coating......

Michael Stoops
Nov 5th, 2014, 08:55 PM
When will Wash Solutions in Dallas have the pads? Definitely looking forward to trying them out.Give them a call, Scott, as they should be able to get order them in now....or at least in the next couple of weeks as I'm told these are already shipping.

6 pack, yes - order by the case and that's what you'll get. That or in singles are the only options at the moment.

smack
Nov 6th, 2014, 08:50 AM
This is outstanding news! Just what myself and others have been asking from Meguiar's for quite a while.

Im sure when coupled to the new MT-300 polisher, 5" pads, and range of Meguiar's professional polishes this is a serious system.

Kudos guys.

L528e
Nov 6th, 2014, 06:39 PM
i bought 3 7" foam pads from meguiars the red one,yellow and black one. On October 27 2014 and the Velcro is very weak when I'm detailing the pads keep coming off my polisher. Very disappointed with this pads I wish you had this ones available at the time of my purchase they seen to be better build. I feel I lost my money on the older model ones. But good job on the new ones I'm sold on meguairs produts, I just order the da micro fiber pads, and compound from auto geek, I hope they are good.

sportscar
Nov 6th, 2014, 08:31 PM
The new foam cutting disc is very close in aggressiveness to the DMC5 microfiber cutting disc, but on haze prone paint the foam will likely leave a nicer finish. In fact, the foam will likely leave a very nice finish, and we've seen it leave a finish that was LSP ready.

Just the information I was looking for. Thank Mike!

Michael Stoops
Nov 7th, 2014, 12:47 PM
i bought 3 7" foam pads from meguiars the red one,yellow and black one. On October 27 2014 and the Velcro is very weak when I'm detailing the pads keep coming off my polisher. Very disappointed with this pads I wish you had this ones available at the time of my purchase they seen to be better build. I feel I lost my money on the older model ones. But good job on the new ones I'm sold on meguairs produts, I just order the da micro fiber pads, and compound from auto geek, I hope they are good.
The pads should not be coming off the backing plate under regular use. We have not had issues with the loop material on these pads. What backing plate are you using? If it's not our W68DA plate then that may be the issue.

L528e
Nov 7th, 2014, 08:50 PM
I was using them with the meguiars da standard backing plate. The Velcro is not coming off. But is not sticking to the plate. Is like the Velcro it doesn't have a lot of stickiness, but it's ok I will buy the new ones when they become available I love everything about meguiars products and this new pads look better specially the backing Velcro part. :notworthy

CreamPuff
Nov 8th, 2014, 09:41 AM
Hi Stoops...is there going to be new 3" pads?

Michael Stoops
Nov 10th, 2014, 10:04 AM
Hi Stoops...is there going to be new 3" pads?
Sorry, Tommy, no plans for 3" pads at this time.

mohebmhanna
Nov 10th, 2014, 03:23 PM
Hi Mike,
When these new BPs and pads would be available? Thanks.

davey g-force
Nov 10th, 2014, 09:13 PM
You shouldn't have any issues using these new pads with our previous W67DA backing plate (the one we have always recommended with our DAMF System) or with other similar backing plates.

:db: Thanks Mike, that's just the info I was looking for!

Can't wait to get my hands on these new discs...

Michael Stoops
Nov 11th, 2014, 10:26 AM
Hi Mike,
When these new BPs and pads would be available? Thanks.
They are shipping now so they should be at your favorite reseller any day now.

C. Charles Hahn
Nov 12th, 2014, 08:22 AM
Sorry, Tommy, no plans for 3" pads at this time.

Presumably the existing 4" pads (sold as pro and retail for DA Power System) aren't going anywhere though, correct? (Are those going to eventually adopt the new cutting/finishing foams as well?)

Dellinger
Nov 13th, 2014, 03:54 PM
Mr. Stoops,

Regarding the new pads... machine washable, I assume?

Regarding the new backing plates... these are very interesting to me. For one... there are zero 'cooling holes.' Secondly- the fiberglass core seems to depart from the popular foam or hybrid foam substrate of a typical D/A backing plate. So... I would guess the fiberglass core does act as a heat sink from the electrical motor/ spindle + pad abrasion as a LC or B&S BP does? Also, how 'firm' is the plate? Looks pretty 'hard' for good cutting.

I welcome with open arms the 'new' 3" BP.... was really, really sick of using a small adjustable wrench and the machine wrench to detach the old 3" BP AND stripping threads in the aluminum of the plate! (Didn't happen often but did happen, lol.) And I know the previous 3" BP was originally meant for damp/wet sanding duties.

Thanks!
-Gabe

Paul S
Nov 16th, 2014, 10:59 AM
It's great to have seen the new pads at SEMA. I think the thinner profile is definitely the way to go. With the new 3" bp it would be nice to see 3" pads to go along with the 3" mf pads and plates offered. I under stand as of present they are not in the plans but with many using 3" 2" and even 1" machines for fine detail I see a niche market not being serviced by many.

Michael Stoops
Nov 17th, 2014, 09:05 AM
Presumably the existing 4" pads (sold as pro and retail for DA Power System) aren't going anywhere though, correct? (Are those going to eventually adopt the new cutting/finishing foams as well?)
The existing 4" foam pads sold under the Wx204 part numbers have been discontinued.... well, the part numbers have been discontinued. The pads are still being made but only under the consumer part numbers of G350x. Not sure if the foam construction will change on these any time soon though.

Mr. Stoops,

Regarding the new pads... machine washable, I assume?

Regarding the new backing plates... these are very interesting to me. For one... there are zero 'cooling holes.' Secondly- the fiberglass core seems to depart from the popular foam or hybrid foam substrate of a typical D/A backing plate. So... I would guess the fiberglass core does act as a heat sink from the electrical motor/ spindle + pad abrasion as a LC or B&S BP does? Also, how 'firm' is the plate? Looks pretty 'hard' for good cutting.

I welcome with open arms the 'new' 3" BP.... was really, really sick of using a small adjustable wrench and the machine wrench to detach the old 3" BP AND stripping threads in the aluminum of the plate! (Didn't happen often but did happen, lol.) And I know the previous 3" BP was originally meant for damp/wet sanding duties.

Thanks!
-Gabe
Yes, Gabe, the pads are indeed machine washable. Comments that we're getting from the early test group is that they wash out more thoroughly than the older pads. The new backing plates are quite stiff, which provides better cut as you surmised. Heat from the tool itself is not much of an issue, really, but very aggressive use of the tool can create a fair bit of heat at the pad/backing plate interface. Even so, we have never had cooling holes on our 5" backing plate for use with the DA Microfiber System as proper use should not create sufficient heat to cause problems.

And yes, the old 3" backing plates could be problematic with the interchangeable inserts. The new one is great little plate, with the same design and construction as the 5" and 6" plates. Oh, and the built in strobe effect (AKA the white stripes on the label) means you no longer need to mark your backing plate with a Sharpie or tape to visualize pad rotation!

Scottwax
Nov 17th, 2014, 09:09 AM
Where can I get the new pads? Don't see them on Autogeek and my local distributor in Dallas (Wash Solutions) won't be ordering them until they deplete their current stock of the other pads.

The Guz
Nov 17th, 2014, 09:25 AM
Where can I get the new pads? Don't see them on Autogeek and my local distributor in Dallas (Wash Solutions) won't be ordering them until they deplete their current stock of the other pads.

http://www.autodetailingsolutions.net/meguiars-foam-disc-5-inch-bundle.html

Michael Stoops
Nov 17th, 2014, 03:52 PM
Wow, that's a great deal for the pads alone, but you get a Meguiar's hat with it?!?!?!?!?!

The Guz
Nov 18th, 2014, 03:34 PM
Just saw on detailing.com's instagram page that the new pads are available through them.

Auto Detailing Solutions is still a better deal and you get a hat.

Chris Parrish
Nov 18th, 2014, 04:27 PM
Now get busy making them in 3". ;-)

The Guz
Nov 20th, 2014, 12:12 AM
Couldn't pass up the deal on Auto Detailing Solutions. Picked up 3 cutting and 3 polishing. Skipped the black pad for now since I wax/seal with a 4" finishing pad. Hoping to use these within the next two weeks and give them a go.

Got the free hat which is good quality.

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/data/2313/medium/IMG_2291a.jpg

Daniel Kinder
Nov 20th, 2014, 07:18 AM
Couldn't pass up the deal on Auto Detailing Solutions. Picked up 3 cutting and 3 polishing. Skipped the black pad for now since I wax/seal with a 4" finishing pad. Hoping to use these within the next two weeks and give them a go.

Enjoy! Make sure you take plenty of pics!! Waiting for your review.

davey g-force
Nov 20th, 2014, 09:38 AM
* Jealous!! * :)

Selectchoice
Nov 20th, 2014, 03:14 PM

Worth it for the hat alone!!

KY Gan
Nov 22nd, 2014, 07:31 PM
Can the new backing plate fit into my current Meg DA Polisher which is the older model ?

Eldorado2k
Nov 23rd, 2014, 11:39 PM
Ahh man, those new foam discs look like opening a great Christmas present. I'm jealous. I gotta get some:)

The Guz
Nov 24th, 2014, 12:24 AM
Can the new backing plate fit into my current Meg DA Polisher which is the older model ?

Yes it will fit.

Ahh man, those new foam discs look like opening a great Christmas present. I'm jealous. I gotta get some:)

You should get some. The hat is pretty sweet. Very good quality.

Eldorado2k
Nov 24th, 2014, 07:55 AM
I probably won't do the whole 6pk. at this moment as I've already planned on picking up a canopy, a 100ft. extention cord and possibly another purchase this black friday.. But I can at least fit in 1 or 2 of the Finishing Discs. On my last detail I applied M205 with a Black Foam Flat pad and it did a fine job of finishing up after D300 on black paint. I think I liked that process enough to make these new Foam Finishing Discs 1st in line on my wish list.

I'm also very excited about the new Ultimate Black Spray.. So much so that I've been using D4510 quite liberaly these past few days. Lol.
Also that New Car Smell Protectant will be a must have as soon as it's availiable.

The Guz
Nov 24th, 2014, 09:07 AM
lol I need to use up my D4510 as well. You can pre-order some of the new stuff through detailing.com. You can check the prices out as well to get an idea of what they will cost.

greg0303
Nov 24th, 2014, 05:19 PM
I've got my two sets (5" and 6") of Meguiar's DA foam discs and backing plates couple days ago. They look fantastic. I can't wait to take them for a spin, especially the new burgundy one.

Homer
Nov 25th, 2014, 09:17 PM
Anyone try the Backing Plates yet? I cant find anyone with the 3 inch in stock for the next month. What makes them so much better?

The Guz
Nov 25th, 2014, 10:27 PM
The new backing plates are nice. The mark is already on them instead of one using a sharpie to put the mark on.

If you are in a hurry to pick up a 3" backing plate then get this one. If you want to wait for the Meguiar's one then it should be out soon.

http://www.autogeek.net/3inch-dual-action-backing-plate.html

J4o2el7
Nov 25th, 2014, 10:49 PM
Just ordered the new 6 pack of discs and bp, pretty excited!

Homer
Nov 30th, 2014, 04:53 PM
How do the new Megs pad compare to the MF pads? Does it correct faster and finish better?

davey g-force
Nov 30th, 2014, 05:40 PM
I think you'll find that MF pads still cut faster.

The discs would be somewhere in between foam and MF. :)

Michael Stoops
Dec 1st, 2014, 07:55 AM
How do the new Megs pad compare to the MF pads? Does it correct faster and finish better?
Generally speaking, the microfiber pads will cut faster. But, on those softer paints where microfiber creates a fair bit of haze, the new burgundy foam cutting disc will become your new best friend. Still offering plenty of cut on that type of paint, it won't haze like microfiber will. In fact, we are repeatedly seeing that new burgundy cutting disc leaving a near LSP ready finish when used with a variety of compounds.

Eldorado2k
Dec 1st, 2014, 10:04 AM
Would you say the new foam discs might offer a bit more working time vs. the microfiber discs? Or is that a non factor?

Btw, welcome back Mike! Hope you had a great Thanksgiving:)

DogParkGuy
Dec 1st, 2014, 02:53 PM
Does this mean that the microfiber pads are on the way out?

Michael Stoops
Dec 1st, 2014, 03:58 PM
Would you say the new foam discs might offer a bit more working time vs. the microfiber discs? Or is that a non factor?

Btw, welcome back Mike! Hope you had a great Thanksgiving:)Non factor..... that is all dependent on the compound, ambient temps, and other factors. Thanks for the welcome back..... Thanksgiving was awesome, thanks, how 'bout you?

Does this mean that the microfiber pads are on the way out?Definitely not. They still cut faster, especially on harder paint.

Eldorado2k
Dec 1st, 2014, 10:37 PM
Ok cool, just wondering. Plus I guess I've gotten a bit used to getting such dramatic results with the Microfiber Discs after only 3 passes that I sometimes forget it can continue working beyond that.[ideal conditions being ideal, of course.]

I'm itching to switch to those new Foam Finishing Discs from my current 'Gray Flat Pad'
My current 1 is so bulky compared to the Foam Discs. Everything about them seems worth the upgrade.

Thankgiving was great with the fam.. Made the trek to Murrieta for the day at my older bros. house.. Bittersweet because I had to return to work on Fri.. It would've been nice to have brought my DA and try some things to help any 1 of his 3 vehicles, especially in the comfort and spacious garage. But then again, turkey makes me lazy. Lol

h_bomm
Dec 2nd, 2014, 05:29 PM
Do these discs get saturated more quickly than the soft buff 2.0 pads do? Do they clean easier or more completely when cleaning on the fly? Do you use just as many discs on a vehicle as the soft buff pads or more since they are so much thinner, all things being equal?

Homer
Dec 3rd, 2014, 08:49 AM
Will the MF Finishing Pad with D300 still cut faster than the new red Cutting Disc? My experience is the MF Finishing Pad cuts really well and finishes really well at the same time. Will the new Cutting Disc finish even better?

somarr
Dec 31st, 2014, 03:42 PM
And will this new backing plate work with the original G110? I am just seeking confirmation as it looks like it will. With the old pads on the way out seems like a 5 inch might be my best option.

The Guz
Dec 31st, 2014, 04:31 PM
Yeah it will fit just fine.

Eldorado2k
Jan 4th, 2015, 09:53 PM
I like my finishing disc. I've got two 5" polishing discs coming my way in mail.

Michael Stoops
Jan 5th, 2015, 08:57 AM
Will the MF Finishing Pad with D300 still cut faster than the new red Cutting Disc? My experience is the MF Finishing Pad cuts really well and finishes really well at the same time. Will the new Cutting Disc finish even better?The burgundy foam cutting disc should cut faster than the microfiber finishing disc, but not faster than the microfiber cutting disc. Whether or not it finishes better is going to be very paint dependent. From experience, however, paint that is prone to hazing with microfiber will haze with either microfiber disc. Those paints tend to respond much better to the foam cutting disc. Really hard paints love microfiber though, so in that case the microfiber may prove to be the better choice.

And will this new backing plate work with the original G110? I am just seeking confirmation as it looks like it will. With the old pads on the way out seems like a 5 inch might be my best option.
Yes, this new backing plate will fit all popular, traditional DA tools (G110v2, G100, PC7424, Harbor Freight, Griot's Garage, etc).

simiglen
Feb 1st, 2015, 08:55 PM
Mike

First off I want to thank you for the class on January 31. I learned a whole heck of a lot.

Second. Now it is time to put this goodness to work. I will be working on an accord and a prius (we will see what comes after these). Would it be better to get a 5" or 6" discs?

Thanks so much!

Merlin
Feb 2nd, 2015, 07:55 AM
Would it be better to get a 5" or 6" discs?

I'm personally a fan of 5" BP and 5" discs/pads. I like the feel.
I use 5" with my DA's (GG, PC, Rupes, Flex etc.) and rotaries.

Michael Stoops
Feb 2nd, 2015, 10:51 AM
Mike

First off I want to thank you for the class on January 31. I learned a whole heck of a lot.

Second. Now it is time to put this goodness to work. I will be working on an accord and a prius (we will see what comes after these). Would it be better to get a 5" or 6" discs?

Thanks so much!
Glad you enjoyed the class!

If you're working with a traditional DA (G110v2, Griot's, Porter Cable, etc) then definitely go with the 5" pads. We make the 6" pads for users of the Flex 3401, Rupes 21 and pneumatic DA tools.

The Guz
Feb 10th, 2015, 07:29 PM
Mike I have a question and would like to hear your thoughts. A little background prior to getting to my question. My brother had an aftermarket hood painted to change the appearance of his car. In the process of receiving it, the body shop decided to wash it. This is what it looked like after we had polished it a couple months prior to him taking it in :( .

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/2364/medium/Swirls1.jpg

So my first thing is doing a test spot with M205 and the new yellow foam disc to see if that is more than enough to remove the defects. The paint is on the medium side. I am thinking I am going to have to compound.

If I do compound it I will be using D300 and the new burgundy cutting disc. Now here is my question. What are your thoughts on using D302 with either a polishing disc or finishing disc instead of M205 on a polishing disc to remove any DA haze that may occur or just to refine the finish after compounding?

Thanks
-Mike

Michael Stoops
Feb 11th, 2015, 08:23 AM
If I do compound it I will be using D300 and the new burgundy cutting disc. Now here is my question. What are your thoughts on using D302 with either a polishing disc or finishing disc instead of M205 on a polishing disc to remove any DA haze that may occur or just to refine the finish after compounding?

Thanks
-Mike
Mike, while those swirls look pretty heavy, it's most likely just a heavy concentration of same rather than abnormally deep. We would expect D300 on the burgundy foam cutting disc to blast through these (we've pulled sanding marks out of very hard Ceramiclear paint with that combo) and you may well end up with virtually zero haze - that cutting disc is a rock star! If you do have any haze, however, we recommend going with M205 if you're staying with foam discs rather than microfiber. D302 has no functional abrasives in it, instead relying on the microfiber filaments themselves to do any surface refining while the D302 acts as sort of a buffering solution to that cut. D300/DFC5 and M205/DFP5 should be a killer 1-2 punch on this hood.

The Guz
Feb 11th, 2015, 08:36 AM
Thanks Mike. The entire car is just like this so I will go with the recommended combo for sure.

greynolds84
Feb 11th, 2015, 08:53 AM
When will these be on sale?

The Guz
Feb 11th, 2015, 11:49 AM
They are already available.

Autogeek has a couple packages.

6 pack

http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-5-inch-da-foam-discs-6pk.html

3 pack

http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-5-inch-da-foam-discs-3pk.html

Auto Detailing Solutions has a 5 pack

fphillips
Feb 11th, 2015, 11:53 AM
Mike will the new 5inch foam pads work with W67DA backplate?

fphillips
Feb 12th, 2015, 01:38 PM
Never mind found it. Lol

You shouldn't have any issues using these new pads with our previous W67DA backing plate (the one we have always recommended with our DAMF System) or with other similar backing plates.

Merlin
Mar 3rd, 2015, 01:37 PM
What is the "exact" width of the 3", 5" and 6" backing plates?

For example: Is the 3" backing plate 2 3/4"?

Michael Stoops
Mar 4th, 2015, 08:19 AM
What is the "exact" width of the 3", 5" and 6" backing plates?

For example: Is the 3" backing plate 2 3/4"?
2 - 7/8"
4 - 7/8"
5 - 7/8"

Merlin
Mar 4th, 2015, 08:48 AM
2 - 7/8"
4 - 7/8"
5 - 7/8"

Perfect! Thank you.

greymda
Apr 1st, 2015, 09:11 AM
one question if i may.
so red pad is for compound - Ultimate Compound, let's say.
yellow for polish? as it in M205?
and black one?

String
Apr 3rd, 2015, 02:31 PM
one question if i may.
so red pad is for compound - Ultimate Compound, let's say.
yellow for polish? as it in M205?
and black one?

Black is for wax/sealant is my understanding.

The Guz
Apr 3rd, 2015, 06:40 PM
You can use black for waxes or sealants. You can also use it with a finishing polish.

dbssoccer
Apr 4th, 2015, 07:04 AM
Could someone explain why there are all the sizes? 3" - 6"? What drives your decision to use one over the another?

I have a pneumatic DA sander (a good one with plenty of air to drive it). It came optional with 4", 5" or 6". It has a 5/16" diameter stud so I can use any of new backing plates. I'm now just wondering which size to buy.

davey g-force
Apr 5th, 2015, 12:32 AM
Could someone explain why there are all the sizes? 3" - 6"? What drives your decision to use one over the another?

I have a pneumatic DA sander (a good one with plenty of air to drive it). It came optional with 4", 5" or 6". It has a 5/16" diameter stud so I can use any of new backing plates. I'm now just wondering which size to buy.

The smaller discs would give you more correction.

Also, it sounds obvious but for small, tight areas you'd use the smaller discs, whereas if you're working on large flat areas and time is important, you'd want to use the larger ones.

greymda
Apr 7th, 2015, 04:18 AM
would this backing plate support the new 5" foam discs? (link here (http://www.amazon.com/Astro-Pneumatic-4607-Velcro-Backing/dp/B003CH3Z8W/ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER))

Michael Stoops
Apr 7th, 2015, 09:19 AM

We make these new backing plates to fit a variety of needs. A 3" plate/pads on a DA concentrates the energy of the tool into a smaller area which increases cut. But more commonly that combo is used to get into tighter areas where a larger pad simply won't fit. If using a traditional style DA buffer, and most definitely when using our new MT300, the 5" plate and discs are highly recommended. Still, some people like the 6" plate because they have a bunch of existing 6" pads, or they use another tool that requires 6" pads and, rather than have both 5" and 6" inventory, they just run a 6" plate on their secondary tool.

Pneumatic DA sanders, while providing the same motion to the pad as an electric DA tool does, just don't have the sort of torque needed to do heavy correction. They can be fantastic for light polishing and wax application, however. You'd probably want to stick with 5" discs with that tool, so go with the 5" backing plate.

would this backing plate support the new 5" foam discs? (link here (http://www.amazon.com/Astro-Pneumatic-4607-Velcro-Backing/dp/B003CH3Z8W/ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER))
Yes, it would, in theory. What we don't for sure about that plate is how stiff it is, or isn't. A stiffer plate will better transfer power from the tool through the foam disc and result in better cut. From the description of this plate it sounds as though it's very flexible at the edges which may not be the best thing for defect removal. The other concern is the appearance of the loop material on it as it does not appear to be a micro hook. That can be problematic as a taller hook on a DA can create a lot of heat where the pad and plate come together. This is only made worse when the hook on the plate does not match up with the loop on the pad/disc - heat can become excessive in very short order, and over time it can and will wear out both the hook and loop materials, making engagement of the pad/disc to the plate less secure. If you're looking at this particular plate for budgetary reasons, this may prove to be a false economy. Our plate (this one (http://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-DBP5-DA-Backing-Plate/dp/B00PYBHONG/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1428427067&sr=1-1&keywords=meguiar%27s+backing+plate)) is a mere $7 more and ensures that you've got the right size, the right hook, and the correct stiffness for optimum efficiency.

greymda
Apr 7th, 2015, 09:48 AM
Mr. Stoops, thank you for reply. will think about plates, but the difference is quite big for me (living abroad, so double the price is smth for me).

another question is, do you recommend 5" or 6" for a Dual Actions polishers?

kind regards

dbssoccer
Apr 9th, 2015, 12:26 PM
Thanks Michael,

Yesterday I received my 5" backing plate and 2 each of the burgundy, yellow and black pads. I also have a clay kit for my one car which is rarely washed let alone polished or waxed.
Now all I need is some time. As soon as I get a couple of more posts, I'll post a picture of the wheel on my one car and see if anyone has any ideas, short of buying new wheels, to clean up the mess.

greymda
Apr 10th, 2015, 06:20 AM
оkay, so i bought all three DA Foam Discs and the 5" Backing Plate...
the funny thing is i don't have the DA polisher yet delivered, it's coming from Germany on a bus, so it's kinda sporadic and emotional shopping today for me :D

greymda
Apr 10th, 2015, 06:42 AM
i meant Meguiars Backing Plate.

greymda
May 5th, 2015, 02:25 AM
received today 5" meguiars backing plate and 5" foam discs.
the backing plate in the middle has some of the hooks jammed :( i hope it will not have any negative effect on its working properties...
foam pads are okay.

Purple Towel Detailing
Sep 19th, 2015, 08:13 AM
Are there still no plans for 3" pads to go with the 3" backing plate?

OhioCarBuff
Nov 29th, 2015, 03:41 PM
I got a few questions about these new pads. I just went to order some new pads and realized you can't even get the original 9000 series pads anymore!! Ok here are my questions....

• First, I purchased my DA machine from Meguiars way back in 1999, I still have the original backing plate, do I need to get a new backing plate to work with these new pads or will they work with my backing plate that is original from 1999?

• Second, I notice these pads say machine washable. The pads I have used for almost 2 decades have not been machine washable. Do all of you typically wash these with all of your other microfiber towels etc after buffing a car or can they just be cleaned like we always have and reused without washing every buff job?

• Last, I have three cars in my family and have found a system that works perfect, about once every 1-2 years I do a thorough buff job on the whole car with a yellow polishing pad and ultimate compound to knock away swirls and followed up by 205 on a black finishing pad to refine finish. Then every other polish job I just use a cleaner wax and top with a a pure wax like ultimate wax like 3 times a year. Anyways, what I'm trying to understand is the new yellow polishing pad about the same cut as what Im used to with the yellow polishing pads from decades of experience? Do you think with my routine and meticulous maintenance I don't even need to get the red cutting pads? Just how much more cut do the red cutting pads have?

Thanks,
Matt

davey g-force
Nov 29th, 2015, 04:54 PM
The new thin yellow foam discs have more cut than the original yellow ones.

So if yellow pads were doing the job previously, they will certainly do so now. No need to by the burgundy cutting pads unless you want to be prepared for the odd deeper scratch, or harder paint (if you ever detail any one else's car).

The Guz
Nov 29th, 2015, 05:47 PM
I got a few questions about these new pads. I just went to order some new pads and realized you can't even get the original 9000 series pads anymore!! Ok here are my questions....

• First, I purchased my DA machine from Meguiars way back in 1999, I still have the original backing plate, do I need to get a new backing plate to work with these new pads or will they work with my backing plate that is original from 1999?

• Second, I notice these pads say machine washable. The pads I have used for almost 2 decades have not been machine washable. Do all of you typically wash these with all of your other microfiber towels etc after buffing a car or can they just be cleaned like we always have and reused without washing every buff job?

• Last, I have three cars in my family and have found a system that works perfect, about once every 1-2 years I do a thorough buff job on the whole car with a yellow polishing pad and ultimate compound to knock away swirls and followed up by 205 on a black finishing pad to refine finish. Then every other polish job I just use a cleaner wax and top with a a pure wax like ultimate wax like 3 times a year. Anyways, what I'm trying to understand is the new yellow polishing pad about the same cut as what Im used to with the yellow polishing pads from decades of experience? Do you think with my routine and meticulous maintenance I don't even need to get the red cutting pads? Just how much more cut do the red cutting pads have?

Thanks,
Matt

The new pads are great. I would consider the 5" pads and the 5" backing plate. It will transfer the power better from your machine.

I wash mine by hand.

The thinner pad will have more cut as it is thinner and transferring the tools power more effectively than a thicker foam pad. I would pick up a couple burgundy cutting pads. You never know when you may need them.

Have you considered just using M205 instead of a cleaner wax. M205 will clean the paint and correct it better than cleaner wax. You will only have to do this once or twice a year depending on which sealant you use. These are sealants: ultimate wax, M21, NXT or paint protect 365. Paint Protect 365 will offer the longest protection of these. Save the cleaner wax for when you need to do a quick detail. Maybe even upgrade to white wax as it has more correcting and cleaning ability than the maroon cleaner wax.

OhioCarBuff
Nov 29th, 2015, 10:07 PM
The Guz,

I sure have used 205 in lieu of a cleaner wax, but have found that it just added an extra step because the cleaner wax takes care of the cleaning-polishing and first coat of wax. I take care of the cars in my family so well that the swirls only need knocked down about once a year topps, other then that I just do the cleaner wax followed up by Ultimate Wax, a really fast and effective two step punch. When I use the cleaner wax it's usually applied in a very non aggressive way and to a finish that is already almost perfect and swirl free, I just want to clean the surface well and get rid of contaminants so the wax will adhere well. I did try the white wax but most of the time that level of aggressiveness is just not needed so believe it or not most of the time I use the humble red bottle consumer cleaner wax and then follow up with Ultimate Wax or NXT or on occasion High Tech Yellow. I have not tried black wax yet though, do you all think it would work better for this purpose? I've used the regular humble cleaner wax red bottle for 20 years now for this purpose and in my opinion it's the most underrated product.

Just exactly how powerful is the combo of the new red cutting pads with Ultimate Compound with the DA? I'm only curious because on a rare occasion I have a friend or family member that has a very neglected car that I buff for a favor. Is it so aggressive that you actually need to be careful not to burn through the clear coat, or is the DA with the red pad and Ultiamte Compound still a pretty safe, meaning nothing like the damage a rotary could potentially cause really quick.

DasBurninator
Nov 30th, 2015, 01:29 PM
...most of the time I use the humble red bottle consumer cleaner wax and then follow up with Ultimate Wax or NXT or on occasion High Tech Yellow.
Food for thought on this: Using something like Ultimate Polish or M205 instead of Cleaner wax will leave Ultimate wax or NXT a clean surface to bond to.

Sealants like Ultimate Wax or NXT bond better to bare paint vs a wax, which will cause the sealant to fail sooner.

Further, if you are worried about level of cut, Ultimate Polish has less cut than M205, and you can also adjust things based off of your pad choice.

Just exactly how powerful is the combo of the new red cutting pads with Ultimate Compound with the DA? I'm only curious because on a rare occasion I have a friend or family member that has a very neglected car that I buff for a favor. Is it so aggressive that you actually need to be careful not to burn through the clear coat, or is the DA with the red pad and Ultiamte Compound still a pretty safe, meaning nothing like the damage a rotary could potentially cause really quick.

Ultimate compound with the burgundy pad is pretty safe on a DA. One would have to be sitting in one spot using decent amount of pressure for a while or buffing on an edge or body line to strike through the clear. Obviously this is also subject to how much paint is left on the car depending on how neglected it is.

Either way it is worlds safer than using a rotary for the average user.

Selectchoice
Nov 30th, 2015, 06:20 PM
OhioCarBuff, you've found a product and pad combo that you really like. No reason to change anything if it's working as well for you as you mention. Why change and possibly add steps to your workload if you're happy?

As for the thin pad, Michael Stoops has mentioned in the very first post on this thread that:

"This is the exact same yellow foam used in our Soft Buff 2.0 pads, but in this thin disc configuration you can expect an increase in cutting ability with your favorite compound or cleaner."

Basically the foam is exactly the same, with the thinning of the pad's height allowing more power from the DA tool to be transferred to the paint. You can adjust this extra potential power being generated as per normal with speed (of both the DA and your arm movements) and downward pressure. This means you can dial in the same process you've used on the older spec pads on these new pads and in all likelihood have an easier user experience to boot!

As for the new cutting pad: the new cutting pads are DA friendly, meaning they aren't as likely to leave hazing or DA marks (ticks) behind as older spec cutting pads did. If you were able to correct your friend's occasional 'more work required' paintwork with the older spec yellow pad, chances are you'll be able to do it with the newer spec yellow pad. Just faster and with less effort than before.

szladob
Dec 9th, 2015, 02:16 PM
I have just received the new yellow and black discs :)
Is there any adjustment needed to technique (compared to the old 7 inch ones)? Also after using D300 on microfiber cutting disc, should I used the new yellow or black disc for M205 (Audi phantom black paint)? Many thanks!

DasBurninator
Dec 9th, 2015, 02:51 PM
Is there any adjustment needed to technique (compared to the old 7 inch ones)? Also after using D300 on microfiber cutting disc, should I used the new yellow or black disc for M205 (Audi phantom black paint)? Many thanks!

You can get away with a bit lighter pressure on your polishing step with the thinner, smaller diameter pads.

On the Audi I would suggest the yellow pad with M205. Save the black finishing pads for applying your LSP on the Audi since it has harder paint.

Nick Winn
Dec 9th, 2015, 02:55 PM

A couple of techniques to keep in mind is we don't have to use as much pressure with these new pads especially when trying to remove defects, since they are much thinner. Due to this less mass of the pad you will also find they run very smooth : ) Another thing to keep in mind is pad rotation, keeping some pad rotation at all times translates to performance whether cutting or finishing.

If you want to finish polish with foam after using our D/A Microfiber Cutting Disc, in most cases it is best to use our yellow foam polishing disc, as most often times the compound step leaves the paint a bit hazy, and we need the mild cleaning ability of the yellow foam polishing disc to bring the paint back up to a high gloss. If after your compounding step the paint has little to no haze, (indicating the paint is on the harder side), you would be OK to use our black foam finishing disc, as you don't need as much cleaning or in other words "refining" ability, to get the paint to finish or to get the paint back up to a high gloss.

Hope this information was helpful.

Nick Winn
Dec 9th, 2015, 02:57 PM
You can get away with a bit lighter pressure on your polishing step with the thinner, smaller diameter pads.

On the Audi I would suggest the yellow pad with M205. Save the black finishing pads for applying your LSP on the Audi since it has harder paint.

:bow:bow

DasBurninator
Dec 9th, 2015, 03:46 PM
:bow:bow

Scottwax3:xyxthumbs

Looks like we are on the same page

The Guz
Dec 12th, 2015, 09:21 PM

I had a chance to get back to you on the cutting ability of the yellow polishing disc. I am currently working on a 2010 Camaro. This is my initial test spot with M205, a yellow polishing disc and an MT300 at 5800 OPM's.

If I was doing a one step polish then this would be a great combo. This test spot told me the paint is on the hard side as there was still some deeper defects that needed to be removed.

http://vimeo.com/148760788

willowcatfish
Dec 12th, 2015, 11:03 PM
Hey guys, I noticed you talk about the Red Bottle Cleaner Wax. I just detailed my Grandmothers car today. But I need to wax it later this week. It's a 2003 SILVER Honda Accord. The paint isn't in bad condition for a daily driver, but in need of a cleaning type wax and thought the Red Bottle would be good. Do you feel this wax would be a good choice in this situation? And what pad should I use on a DA for this type of wax?

Thankyou guys and have a great day!

willowcatfish
Dec 13th, 2015, 07:00 PM
Finally got the HF DA. and am excited to use it this week. Just need to buy the Megs plate and pads.

DasBurninator
Dec 13th, 2015, 08:50 PM
I had a chance to get back to you on the cutting ability of the yellow polishing disc. I am currently working on a 2010 Camaro. This is my initial test spot with M205, a yellow polishing disc and an MT300 at 5800 OPM's.

If I was doing a one step polish then this would be a great combo. This test spot told me the paint is on the hard side as there was still some deeper defects that needed to be removed.

It is amazing how much versatility and power M205 has. Still liking the MT300?

Hey guys, I noticed you talk about the Red Bottle Cleaner Wax. I just detailed my Grandmothers car today. But I need to wax it later this week. It's a 2003 SILVER Honda Accord. The paint isn't in bad condition for a daily driver, but in need of a cleaning type wax and thought the Red Bottle would be good. Do you feel this wax would be a good choice in this situation? And what pad should I use on a DA for this type of wax?

The bottle of red cleaner wax isn't meant to be used with a machine. I would suggest getting some White Wax or D151 PRC for an AIO type of product. The nice thing with either of those options is you can adjust the level of cut/finish with your choice of pad. Do a test spot on the car and see what pad works the best for the level of cut/finish that can get with that particular paint.

The Guz
Dec 13th, 2015, 10:16 PM
[QUOTE=DasBurninator;569660]It is amazing how much versatility and power M205 has. Still liking the MT300?/QUOTE]

It's been working very well and it's getting the job done. So yeah I am liking it.

Nick Winn
Dec 14th, 2015, 08:35 AM

Meguiar's Classic Cleaner Wax in the red bottle would be a perfectly good choice to clean up a daily driver, but it is an "older school" style product, especially when it comes to cleaning technology. Since you are using a dual action polisher, for a little more in price you can get more defect removal and develop more clarity for a silver colored car with our White Wax, which is a cleaner wax designed for all light colors:

Meguiar's White Wax (http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotive/products/g6107-white-wax/)

willowcatfish
Dec 15th, 2015, 05:55 PM
Thank you Nicholas, I will check that wax out, and give er' a try! Than kyou for letting me know about this!

Have a great day!

Ray

Michael Stoops
Jan 5th, 2016, 03:55 PM

Michael, next time you see a result like this but you want to stick with a one step polish on hard paint, try M205 on a microfiber finishing disc. I did a Singapore Blue BMW M6 and M205/DMF5 was insane on the thing. The owner said he'd never seen that level of shine, clarity, or pop of the metallic when I was done. Topped it with Ultimate Paste wax and the results were stunning.

The Guz
Jan 5th, 2016, 05:00 PM
Michael, next time you see a result like this but you want to stick with a one step polish on hard paint, try M205 on a microfiber finishing disc. I did a Singapore Blue BMW M6 and M205/DMF5 was insane on the thing. The owner said he'd never seen that level of shine, clarity, or pop of the metallic when I was done. Topped it with Ultimate Paste wax and the results were stunning.

Thanks for that tip. I will give it a shot the next time I run into this situation.

EagleNester
Jan 7th, 2016, 01:28 PM
It is amazing how much versatility and power M205 has. Still liking the MT300?

The bottle of red cleaner wax isn't meant to be used with a machine. I would suggest getting some White Wax or D151 PRC for an AIO type of product. The nice thing with either of those options is you can adjust the level of cut/finish with your choice of pad. Do a test spot on the car and see what pad works the best for the level of cut/finish that can get with that particular paint.
When you talk about M205 "versatility"- are you saying that with different combos of pads/pressures you can basically "solve different problems" with the same product (i.e. Add gloss, attack RIDS, OR swirl removal)?

DasBurninator
Jan 7th, 2016, 02:05 PM
When you talk about M205 "versatility"- are you saying that with different combos of pads/pressures you can basically "solve different problems" with the same product (i.e. Add gloss, attack RIDS, OR swirl removal)?

That is exactly what I was referring to.

Ricknau
Jan 21st, 2016, 09:58 AM
Finally got the HF DA. and am excited to use it this week. Just need to buy the Megs plate and pads.

Hi folks. New to advanced car care and these forums. Me too, I just bought a HF DA tool but willowcatfish is also buying a Meg's backing plate. So the stock plate is not satisfactory? Don't know how to describe it in detail other than its "pretty" stiff. A little flexible towards the edge but not much. Maybe some of you guys have one and are familiar with it. Sure I can't go wrong with the Meg's but then again I don't want to drop $ necessarily.

So can anybody vouch for the HF backing plate with the Megs pads?

Merlin
Jan 21st, 2016, 10:05 AM
I much prefer the Megs DBP5 backing plate with the DA.
I'd go with Megs 5" DFC5, DFP5 and DFF5 foam pads.

The Guz
Jan 21st, 2016, 10:14 AM
Hi folks. New to advanced car care and these forums. Me too, I just bought a HF DA tool but willowcatfish is also buying a Meg's backing plate. So the stock plate is not satisfactory? Don't know how to describe it in detail other than its "pretty" stiff. A little flexible towards the edge but not much. Maybe some of you guys have one and are familiar with it. Sure I can't go wrong with the Meg's but then again I don't want to drop $ necessarily.

So can anybody vouch for the HF backing plate with the Megs pads?

It's been posted across multiple forums that the backing plate the HF DA comes with is not that good. Get the 5" plate and pads as stated in the previous post.

Ricknau
Jan 21st, 2016, 06:41 PM
Thanks for the advice.

Dkutz
Jan 23rd, 2016, 07:56 PM
$11 a pad 4-5 per car...expensive. And they can't be cleaned? Hmmm

The Guz
Jan 23rd, 2016, 09:13 PM
$11 a pad 4-5 per car...expensive. And they can't be cleaned? Hmmm

Who said they can't be cleaned? They are some of the easiest pads to clean.

Dkutz
Jan 23rd, 2016, 09:18 PM
Ok never mind... Stand corrected.

gregdugas
Jul 29th, 2016, 11:02 AM

Can you please provide the replacement part number for the W9006 Foam Finishing pads as I'm unable to locate any? In that connection, in using my trusty PC 7336 polisher with the original back plate, I plan on ordering the DA Correction Compound and 5" MF Cutting Disc. However, since I still have a full bottle of the NXT Tech 2.0, I'm needing a comparable W9006 foam pad to use for application since I understand the MF pads are not recommended for such use. [Having a couple of W8006 pads on hand, could I use them in lieu of the W9006 pads?]. Thanks for you help!

iMak
Oct 19th, 2016, 08:45 PM
I have ordered the new 5" pads plus the new backing plate, I will be using them with my G220 V2. Can't wait to get them and start spinning them.

iMak
Jan 13th, 2017, 10:35 AM
What is the best way to store the foam discs after use? I normally put the polisher inside its bag with the foam disc on and close the bag.

Merlin
Jan 13th, 2017, 02:26 PM
What is the best way to store the foam discs after use? I normally put the polisher inside its bag with the foam disc on and close the bag.

I do not leave pads on my machines when not in use.
After they are washed and dry...the 5" discs fit perfect inside a zip lock sandwich bag.

The Guz
Jan 13th, 2017, 08:34 PM

If you kept the package they come in you can put them back in the package after they have been washed and dried.

P-Shooter
Jan 26th, 2017, 08:26 PM
I know this may sound weird but can I use one soft buff polishing pad on a whole car if I clean it on the fly after each panel or step instead of using 3 to 4 per car? Thanks.

Michael Stoops
Jan 27th, 2017, 07:58 AM
I know this may sound weird but can I use one soft buff polishing pad on a whole car if I clean it on the fly after each panel or step instead of using 3 to 4 per car? Thanks.Theoretically, yes you can, but it may not give you the absolute maximum result. That said, when we're talking about "absolute maximum result" we're talking about high end, concours quality finishing, which is probably not your goal here. Cleaning on the fly, to be as effective as possible, should include a process that squeezes as much excess product out of the pad as it does clean the face of the pad of paint residue and dried product around the perimeter of the pad. Failing to squeeze this excess out often leads to the pad loading with product, which can compromise the tools ability to spin that pad.

If you're not doing real heavy cutting it's easier to get away with fewer pads. But it's always a good idea to have an extra pad or three on hand in case something goes wrong - like lifting the tool at speed and having it fling the pad across the garage. Where it will inevitably land butter side down, in the dirtiest corner of the garage.

Nidish
Nov 14th, 2017, 11:46 AM
Hey guys, has the Meguiars 3 Inch Backing Plate(DBP3) been discontinued? I can't find it to purchase online. I wanted to buy it so that I could use my DA Power System Pads on my PC 7424XP,

davey g-force
Nov 14th, 2017, 12:52 PM
I don't think so? ... I hope not! :eek:

Nick Winn
Nov 14th, 2017, 01:10 PM
Hey guys, has the Meguiars 3 Inch Backing Plate(DBP3) been discontinued? I can't find it to purchase online. I wanted to buy it so that I could use my DA Power System Pads on my PC 7424XP,

Hi Nidish,

It was discontinued at one time but is now back as an active item. I just checked with our Solutions Hub and it is scheduled to be back into stock ready to ship no later than November 17th, 2017. Below is the link if interested:

Meguiar's 3" DA Backing Plate DBP3 (https://www.meguiarsdirect.com/meguiars-da-backing-plate-5inch-1.html)

Nick

Nidish
Nov 21st, 2017, 05:54 AM
Hi Nidish,

It was discontinued at one time but is now back as an active item. I just checked with our Solutions Hub and it is scheduled to be back into stock ready to ship no later than November 17th, 2017. Below is the link if interested:

Meguiar's 3" DA Backing Plate DBP3 (https://www.meguiarsdirect.com/meguiars-da-backing-plate-5inch-1.html)

Nick

Hi Nick, thank you for the response. Could you please confirm the actual diameter in millimeters of the 5 Inch (DBP5) and 3 Inch (DBP3) backing plates respectively please?

Thanks.
Nidish

Old Bear
Nov 22nd, 2017, 09:51 PM
It looks like the link Nick posted is returning a now obolete page.
Try this one instead.
http://www.meguiars.com/en/professional/products/dbp3-da-backing-plate-3/
It shows as in stock

Here is another local (to SoCal) link that shows as being in stock.
http://www.detailing.com/store/meguiar-s-soft-buff-backing-plate-for-orbital-da-polishers-dbp3-3-inch.html

Nidish, Sorry that I don't know either linked companies' international shipping practices.