PDA

View Full Version : Paint Protect

Pages : [1] 2

Michael Stoops
Oct 24th, 2014, 03:02 PM
Paint Protect

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/data/2294/medium/G36516_PaintProtect.png

[LIST]
It's all about protection

Christopher.Brown
Nov 4th, 2014, 06:46 AM
Is this basically a Touchless Silica Sealant comparable to say a Hydro2?

Matt-erhorn
Nov 4th, 2014, 06:50 AM
This sounds almost too good to be true. But if it's Meguiar's, I'm sure it's amazing.

Selectchoice
Nov 4th, 2014, 06:58 AM
Looks like Soft Wash Gel. How is this applied?

RaskyR1
Nov 4th, 2014, 07:00 AM
In for more info on this one! :)

C. Charles Hahn
Nov 4th, 2014, 07:00 AM
Is this basically a Touchless Silica Sealant comparable to say a Hydro2?

Says wipe on/wipe off, but it sure looks like a Hydro2 or Opti-Seal type product... interesting.

Michael Stoops
Nov 4th, 2014, 07:11 AM
This is most definitely NOT a take on Hydro2 by any means. It applies like a wax but won't haze over like one, and it contains extremely durable polymers that will bead water through 50+ car washes. We know that because we literally hand washed a car, on more than one occasion, more than 50 times and the water still beaded. When we did this with more traditional waxes/sealants on the same panel, the traditional wax beading would fade and all but disappear far sooner depending on the product.

Scott's 62
Nov 4th, 2014, 07:18 AM
So cool

jarred767
Nov 4th, 2014, 07:22 AM
WOW, awesome product and great option!!! Definitely in for more info on this one too. How many cars should you expect to get out of one bottle? Would you use the same amount as if you were applying a wax or sealant? Can't wait to try this one out!

Michael Stoops
Nov 4th, 2014, 07:30 AM
WOW, awesome product and great option!!! Definitely in for more info on this one too. How many cars should you expect to get out of one bottle? Would you use the same amount as if you were applying a wax or sealant? Can't wait to try this one out!
As you might imagine, this goes on quite thin so you'll get many applications from the bottle, just as you would with any other liquid wax.

Selectchoice
Nov 4th, 2014, 07:34 AM
How does the gloss level compare to say Ultimate Wax?

Matt-erhorn
Nov 4th, 2014, 07:36 AM
So from the sounds of it, it matches or outlast ultimate wax and it's half the price?:werd1

RDVT4ME
Nov 4th, 2014, 07:48 AM
Mike,
Would you apply this with a DA?
-Bob

Michael Stoops
Nov 4th, 2014, 08:03 AM
How does the gloss level compare to say Ultimate Wax?Ultimate Wax will win out on gloss, no doubt about it. This product's big claim to fame is the durability.

So from the sounds of it, it matches or outlast ultimate wax and it's half the price?:werd1From a durability standpoint, yes, but see comments above otherwise.

Mike,
Would you apply this with a DA?
-BobYou sure can, Bob!

Pontiacvibe
Nov 4th, 2014, 08:20 AM
Awesome! Will definitely have to try it out. I live here in Michigan, basically from November-April it is too cold for us to wax our cars. In addition, I do not have car but usually like to wax my parent's cars for fun (once I get my own car and If I can I will wax and wash it as often as once a week) and am a college student. So the only time I usually am at home is during Spring Break, Christmas, Thanksgiving, and some parts of the summer. Parking our cars outside and driving both of them around 15k-17k miles each year, the wax I apply usually doesn't last very long, so I will definitely have to buy this in 2015 and put it to the test. Finally Meguiar's has made something for the everyday consumer. I'm pretty sure that 95% of car owners never hand wax their car, and out of the 5% that do, I'm sure that at least half do it only to protect their car paint (so their car is in better condition and they can get a better resale value later down the road) and not for a hobby or shine, or to make their car paint perfect. I'm sure that the only thing those who hand wax their car to protect their car paint and not for a hobby or shine, is durability and nothing else. They do not want to have to wax their car every month.

jarred767
Nov 4th, 2014, 08:33 AM
Sounds like a great "topper" to lock in your work long-term.... Almost like a semi-coating???

Matt-erhorn
Nov 4th, 2014, 08:52 AM
Sounds like a great "topper" to lock in your work long-term.... Almost like a semi-coating???

That's exactly what I'm thinking. Like use this as a base and then something for gloss on top. Maybe even something as simple as UQW once a month.

Vettefan
Nov 4th, 2014, 09:01 AM
Have two quick questions. First, can or should this be applied over a Meguiar's wax? Second, Is there any benefit to letting the product dry a few minutes before removing? Or is it best to apply and remove immediately?

Thanks,
Vetefan

The Guz
Nov 4th, 2014, 09:07 AM
This should be a great seller. I'm sure most of us will top it with something to enhance the look even more.

Hernandez.Art13
Nov 4th, 2014, 09:39 AM
I will be leaving with this next Thursday! (If it's for sale at Meguiar's HQ's)

Cypresswill
Nov 4th, 2014, 10:02 AM
Looks like a great product that I will be adding to my detailing supplies.

Jayuk
Nov 4th, 2014, 10:13 AM
So here I am in the UK so when can I expect to see this or can it be shipped?

torque
Nov 4th, 2014, 10:37 AM
It looks quite watery by the pictures, is it spray wax type of product?

jarred767
Nov 4th, 2014, 11:02 AM
And I will be jealous :xyxthumbs

hopefully you'll share your first hand thoughts on it.

saturn2
Nov 4th, 2014, 11:15 AM
I wonder this how is would be on wheels.

b-rad
Nov 4th, 2014, 11:16 AM
I am almost certain that Art will try applying this with a rotary.:doh

The Guz
Nov 4th, 2014, 12:21 PM

That would be cool if it is available at the time.

drumdan
Nov 4th, 2014, 12:32 PM
Definitely going to pick some up. Thanks, Meguiar's!

Christopher.Brown
Nov 4th, 2014, 01:50 PM
Im pretty sure it wont be for sale until December, at the earliest, for online sales..

Then its usually released to physical stores during the first quarter of the new year...

Remember they have to gauge interest and then make enough stock so people are able to go pick it up locally... so thats a LOT Of units!!

The Guz
Nov 4th, 2014, 02:41 PM
Mike another question for you. Would you recommend waiting 12-24 hours for this to cure prior to being topped with say a coat of M26?

Matt-erhorn
Nov 4th, 2014, 03:05 PM
To add to the point above me, I've heard that ULW has a small amount of cleaners in it to aid in removing old coats of wax already on the surface. If this is true, then would topping this product with ULW be out of the question? Like The Guz said, would something like M26 better since it's a "pure" wax?

BTLew81
Nov 4th, 2014, 03:30 PM
Another question. Any special prep for this product?

The Guz
Nov 4th, 2014, 04:13 PM
To add to the point above me, I've heard that ULW has a small amount of cleaners in it to aid in removing old coats of wax already on the surface. If this is true, then would topping this product with ULW be out of the question? Like The Guz said, would something like M26 better since it's a "pure" wax?

Ultimate wax has no cleaners in it. You should be fine using that over PP365. Check out post 173 by Mr. Stoops. Hope this answers your question.

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?46204-Ultimate-Wax/page18

Spazzz
Nov 4th, 2014, 04:19 PM
It would be chillin if you could 1) Ultimate wax 2) M26 ........then lock it in 3) Paint protect

juliom2
Nov 4th, 2014, 04:50 PM
The first on the future approach on an simpler way to paint protection.
Very interesting.

Matt-erhorn
Nov 4th, 2014, 05:01 PM
Ah I see thanks! I know I read something about NXT containing some of those micro chemical cleaners somewhere and I also heard somewhere that ULW had some, hence making layering useless (I still did anyways).

*Edit: I realized I meant polish in it. Not thinking cleaner wax type abrasives. So completely ignore my prior statement. I've actually read that thread before yet for some reason I keep thinking other wise.

ffboy
Nov 4th, 2014, 07:24 PM
This product should be in our shores now! I wonder if this product offers more shine than Ultimate, NXT 2.0 or any of meguiars "older" products.. Because I read in a meguiars asia website that the deep crystal coating while it offers more protection than other megs waxes doesn't offer the same shine or depth...

The Guz
Nov 4th, 2014, 07:54 PM
Mike one more question. This states beading but how would you compare the sheeting of it to UW?

allenk4
Nov 4th, 2014, 09:03 PM
I am almost certain that Art will try applying this with a rotary.:doh

That is Funny

KidDetailer
Nov 4th, 2014, 10:04 PM
I'm just curious if this product sheets water like collinite

Michael Stoops
Nov 4th, 2014, 11:06 PM
This product will NOT be for sale at TNOG next week, nor will any of the other new products. They were just introduced today and will be shipping most likely in early December.

As previously stated, this product is not about gloss but rather protection. Ultimate Wax and NXT should prove a bit glossier but this will easily out last them, hands down.

As for sheeting vs beading - this product is all about relentless beading. Will it sheet water off if you do that final rinse sheeting process after a wash? Of course, and it will do it quite well.

Michael Stoops
Nov 4th, 2014, 11:20 PM
While the product is indeed quite thin in viscosity, the bottle has a pinhole type opening that allows for controlled dispensing of the product. Again, application is essentially like any other wax - very thin and uniform, but you find that a little goes a very long way with this. Essentially apply and wipe off.

jarred767
Nov 4th, 2014, 11:54 PM
Thanks for clarifying some of those things Mike. Really excited about this product, but it almost seems too good to be true...

Can it go on over a wax like ULW or an AIO like M66 or D151? I'm thinking it would be a great product to add on to a basic 1-step detail since AIOs don't have the greatest durability.

Also, if it can't go on over a wax, do you need to do anything to the paint to prep it first so that it bonds properly...ie IPA wipedown?

Finally, what category are you guys considering this to be in? Wax? Sealant? Coating? Something new all together? Thanks again!

Michael Stoops
Nov 5th, 2014, 07:12 AM
Jarred, there really isn't anything special you need to do to prep for this. Of course claying is always a good idea but no IPA wipedown or anything outside the normal wax application routine is needed. You shouldn't have any problems applying this over an existing wax so it should be able to fit into your scenario without issue.

We definitely do NOT classify this as a coating. It's a paint protectant, so it's right in there with waxes and sealants, except that it's crazy durable and the very thin viscosity of the product make the application and wipe off a somewhat unique experience in the world of waxes and sealants.

jarred767
Nov 5th, 2014, 07:30 AM
Thanks for such a quick response Mike! It sounds super easy as for application, so a great add-on that doesn't need a bunch of prep work like a coating.

I'll be looking forward to seeing some pictures of it in action after the TNOG next week! Hopefully some of those guys will give us some first hand experiences too! Thanks again!

STRIFE
Nov 5th, 2014, 09:31 AM
I predict this will likely be a top seller at the stores.....I can see a lot of my non car friends using this.
Dec cannot come fast enough.... I will be buying a couple bottles for sure!

Meticulous-Detail
Nov 5th, 2014, 10:58 AM
Sweet! Can't wait to see some reviews.

pwaug
Nov 5th, 2014, 12:04 PM
Any reason why this can't be used on wheels?? Seems like a natural fit for wheels.

Setec Astronomy
Nov 5th, 2014, 12:13 PM
Any reason why this can't be used on wheels?? Seems like a natural fit for wheels.

I think I'm going to use it on my house for $10 for 16 oz!

jarred767
Nov 5th, 2014, 01:07 PM
Probably awesome for RVs and 5th wheels with the price point too!

Daniel Kinder
Nov 5th, 2014, 01:34 PM
I'm thinking that since no special prep/IPA wipe downs is in order but certainly wouldn't hurt and maybe give that just a little more lasting protection, A 3 step of clay/ cleaning/ PP365 is going to be the new combo and use UQW as the topper for one of the best finish possible along with the durability for the Go to standard for Meguiars

Do have a couple ideal's about application and just wondering how thin this product is? Consistency such as #7 Show Car Glaze?

Michael Stoops
Nov 5th, 2014, 01:44 PM
No reason at all why could not use it on wheels. Viscosity, as mentioned, is extremely thin so dispensing is through a pinhole top under the cap.

OhioCarBuff
Nov 5th, 2014, 04:35 PM
Looks like this is a great product for areas like Ohio where we have a brutal winter and 4-6 months straight can't possibly rewax and having the best shine is not a problem. Mr Stoops I have a few questions, I see the protection lasts a lot longer then traditional products like ultimate wax and NXT wax, but is the level of protection at least as good? Also what level of prep do we need to do to the surface first, like clay and cleaner to get this product to properly adhere and would using a cleaner wax first and then topping it with this product create an issue with it adhering? Would using a pure polish before using this product cause an issue with adherence?

Murr1525
Nov 5th, 2014, 04:52 PM
Yeah, I'm curious about the protection... is it just for water beading, or a good protection against bird droppings, sap, etc as well?

BTLew81
Nov 5th, 2014, 05:55 PM
I think this will be another great Meg's product! I'm not liking applying it over another product as some have mentioned. This is the durable product,so if anything, apply this first. Personally, I think I will apply it and probably "top" with UQW. I think this will be a killer combo.

Michael Stoops
Nov 5th, 2014, 08:58 PM
Looks like this is a great product for areas like Ohio where we have a brutal winter and 4-6 months straight can't possibly rewax and having the best shine is not a problem. Mr Stoops I have a few questions, I see the protection lasts a lot longer then traditional products like ultimate wax and NXT wax, but is the level of protection at least as good? Also what level of prep do we need to do to the surface first, like clay and cleaner to get this product to properly adhere and would using a cleaner wax first and then topping it with this product create an issue with it adhering? Would using a pure polish before using this product cause an issue with adherence?Prep has been discussed - nothing any different than what you already is appropriate for any other wax or sealant. Protection isn't any better (ie stronger) than other waxes, it just lasts a crazy long time.

Yeah, I'm curious about the protection... is it just for water beading, or a good protection against bird droppings, sap, etc as well?See above - it's not a coating so we won't say it's super resistant to bird droppings and other severe attacks, but durability is extreme.

Meticulous-Detail
Nov 6th, 2014, 12:51 PM
Mike, can it be used on black plastic trim and rubber on exterior surfaces? Is there a cur time for topping with glaze or wax?

OhioCarBuff
Nov 6th, 2014, 02:06 PM
Mr Stoops, I think this is a great product for us folks that live in areas that have brutal winters and we typically go 4-6 months without any way to rewax. I have another question; because this product is so extremely durable will it cause an issue 4-6 months later in the spring when we want to go back to using a regular wax? Like is it so durable that when we go to rewax the remaining wax will be so firmly bonded that it will take extra compounding etc to get off.

ffboy
Nov 6th, 2014, 04:28 PM
I really wish Megs didn't make a long lasting product that's very easy to use (at the very least). It gives many (like me or maybe just me) a reason to wax/protect my car more often than needed... It seems to be as easy to use as Ultimate Quik Wax or Ultimate Quik Detailer...

davey g-force
Nov 6th, 2014, 05:40 PM
This sounds like another must have!!

Can't wait to see some reviews...

Don
Nov 7th, 2014, 05:49 AM
Sounds like it will be a good product for people (even detailers) who hate to wax their cars ... in my case I hate to detail my wife's Explorer, it's just too big and the trim is a mess to try and keep wax out/off of.

Top_Gun
Nov 8th, 2014, 02:08 AM
This product will NOT be for sale at TNOG next week, nor will any of the other new products. They were just introduced today and will be shipping most likely in early December.

As previously stated, this product is not about gloss but rather protection. Ultimate Wax and NXT should prove a bit glossier but this will easily out last them, hands down.

Wow! The only bad thing I see: With the usual delays, it will be over here in Germany next summer, so I won't get to use it on the spouse's car before next year's winter prep. But even then, I have high hopes :)

Regards,

Detlev

Michael Stoops
Nov 10th, 2014, 10:08 AM
Mr Stoops, I think this is a great product for us folks that live in areas that have brutal winters and we typically go 4-6 months without any way to rewax. I have another question; because this product is so extremely durable will it cause an issue 4-6 months later in the spring when we want to go back to using a regular wax? Like is it so durable that when we go to rewax the remaining wax will be so firmly bonded that it will take extra compounding etc to get off.Compounding will take it off, no worries about that. Heck, compounding will take off a true paint coating, so even those aren't an issue if you want them gone. If, after old man winter has moved out and you want to refresh your vehicle for spring, just do what you've always done. Wash, clay, compound, polish, wax - you'll take off the remains of this product with that full process; you can't just wash it off like you can with most waxes.

Mike, can it be used on black plastic trim and rubber on exterior surfaces? Is there a cur time for topping with glaze or wax?It won't stain trim so that's not an issue. If you really want to top it, it would be best to give it the typical 12-24 our cure time first.

Murr1525
Nov 11th, 2014, 10:22 AM
Ok, so just losing a bit of gloss to get longer life through winter. No extra risk of staining, etching, etc not using the ult wax.

Michael Stoops
Nov 11th, 2014, 10:25 AM
Ok, so just losing a bit of gloss to get longer life through winter. No extra risk of staining, etching, etc not using the ult wax.That pretty well sums it up.

OhioCarBuff
Nov 12th, 2014, 04:34 PM
This product should be remarketed as a winter wax, or at least in the marketing for the product make sure to address how it would be beneficial in this regard. All of you folks in beautiful sunny California and other tropical areas don't understand what we go through in climates with rough winters, we can literally go 4-6 months without even being able to rewax and its very hard to even wash your car!

Michael Stoops
Nov 13th, 2014, 11:41 AM
All of you folks in beautiful sunny California and other tropical areas don't understand what we go through in climates with rough winters
Oh, you conclusion jumper, you!

We may be spoiled here in SoCal, to be sure, but this boy grew up outside Detroit so I know all too well how nasty a Midwest winter can be. And I had the very good fortune to travel back to my old stomping grounds last winter for a short while during the "Polar Vortex".... a term I never heard in 30 winters during my time around the Great Lakes. If it sounds like I'm not a huge fan of that weather, that's because I'm not!

But you're right, it is darn near impossible to keep a car looking good during that time of year. But with the advent of waterless and rinseless wash products (Ultimate Wash & Wax Anywhere, D114, D115) you can actually give your vehicle a very thorough wash inside your garage on a day that warms up..... like pushing double digits.....and it stays dry for a few days. Still not perfect, we understand, but for an OCD car crazy kinda guy, it beats the heck out of seeing your ride covered in salt and blending into the surrounding scenery, regardless of paint color!

The Guz
Nov 13th, 2014, 10:14 PM
Mike thanks for demoing this product for us at the 2015 Product TNOG. I have to say the textured beads on the label is a nice touch. I am looking forward to purchasing this when it becomes available.

pcfxer
Nov 17th, 2014, 05:30 AM
Oh, you conclusion jumper, you!

We may be spoiled here in SoCal, to be sure, but this boy grew up outside Detroit so I know all too well how nasty a Midwest winter can be. And I had the very good fortune to travel back to my old stomping grounds last winter for a short while during the "Polar Vortex".... a term I never heard in 30 winters during my time around the Great Lakes. If it sounds like I'm not a huge fan of that weather, that's because I'm not!

But you're right, it is darn near impossible to keep a car looking good during that time of year. But with the advent of waterless and rinseless wash products (Ultimate Wash & Wax Anywhere, D114, D115) you can actually give your vehicle a very thorough wash inside your garage on a day that warms up..... like pushing double digits.....and it stays dry for a few days. Still not perfect, we understand, but for an OCD car crazy kinda guy, it beats the heck out of seeing your ride covered in salt and blending into the surrounding scenery, regardless of paint color!

Rinse free express wash saved my bacon on that one! You should SEE/Experience the looks people would give me when my car was pulled out of my apartment's heated garage. Thanks for recommending it to me, 1-2 years ago.

#16 and Ultimate Wax held up well in Ottawa...during the polar vortex (LOL) that ensued last year. I did a mid-winter wax and it worked out well for the spring, I might put this one to the "test" with my car...

Blueline
Nov 17th, 2014, 02:03 PM
Read through the full seven pages and didn't see Michael answer this. Apparently the 365 can go over UW, however can UW be applied OVER this new 365 product?. Can M16, if I can get some, also go over this new 365? While I like the the protection this new product seems to offer, I prefer a deep gloss on my black cars that I get with UW (or M16) Thanks

The Guz
Nov 17th, 2014, 03:15 PM
Read through the full seven pages and didn't see Michael answer this. Apparently the 365 can go over UW, however can UW be applied OVER this new 365 product?. Can M16, if I can get some, also go over this new 365? While I like the the protection this new product seems to offer, I prefer a deep gloss on my black cars that I get with UW (or M16) Thanks

From what I understood listening to Mike Stoops and Mike Pennington you could top it but the surface tension is now changed and the beading characteristics will be that of the topper. Sort of defeating the purpose of the product. That's what I got out of it. I'm not going to let the cat out of the bag but it does look good on a dark color. I'll let Mr. Stoops address that and what we saw when he feels the chance to share.

Michael Stoops
Nov 17th, 2014, 03:31 PM

From what I understood listening to Mike Stoops and Mike Pennington you could top it but the surface tension is now changed and the beading characteristics will be that of the topper. Sort of defeating the purpose of the product. That's what I got out of it. I'm not going to let the cat out of the bag but it does look good on a dark color. I'll let Mr. Stoops address that and what we saw when he feels the chance to share.
Theortically, yes, you can apply another wax on top of Paint Protect, but as The Guz points out, you'll lose the extreme beading of this product. As for the cat in the bag part, well, what can we say? R&D tells us that this product is all about the durability and less about the shine. Yet, when we applied it to the dark green hood of Ric's Caddy, there was a very noticeable darkening of the paint. Everyone saw it immediately in a taped off, side by side comparison of "naked" paint, and paint with a fresh application of Paint Protect. We're inclined to recommend that you apply your M16, Ultimate or whatever first, and then lay this down on top to get the best of both worlds. Having said that, we all perceive things a bit differently, so what looks good to you might not look the best to someone else.

PullCounter
Nov 17th, 2014, 06:39 PM
Any word of a melting point compared to carnauba / synthetic sealant? Is this a brand new technology, completely unique to Meguiar's and this new product?

Super cool stuff. I can't wait to try it.

davey g-force
Nov 17th, 2014, 10:42 PM
I've never heard of waxes / sealants compared by their melting points before! :)

Homer
Nov 19th, 2014, 09:49 AM
Can we mix a little Paint Protect and Ultimate Quick Wax to increase the durability of UQW?

davey g-force
Nov 19th, 2014, 10:03 AM
Can we mix a little Paint Protect and Ultimate Quick Wax to increase the durability of UQW?

Great idea for those of us who like experimenting! Perhaps someone should try it out and see what happens.

Michael Stoops
Nov 19th, 2014, 10:05 AM
We wouldn't recommend this. UQW is a fantastic "maintenance" type product with surprising durability for a spray wax. Your best bet would be to use Paint Protect as intended, and add some UQW following your regular wash routine.

JET_Fusion
Nov 19th, 2014, 06:10 PM
How well will it work and last on windows?

Michael Stoops
Nov 20th, 2014, 08:20 AM
How well will it work and last on windows?
We don't recommend it on glass, primarily due to people's almost natural tendency to overuse wax. Do that on the windshield and you just know things are going to streak badly at night, in the rain - when you least want that sort of thing.

That said, we hear all the time about people using UQW on glass and loving it. That would probably be a better choice.

dm1179
Nov 27th, 2014, 12:00 AM
Pretty exciting product. Question, 1 bottle of 365 is enough for how many cars?

Buck91
Nov 29th, 2014, 05:19 AM
Sounds very exciting, even if it won't be known as the king of shine. I understand the durability of the water beading should be incredible but how well will it stand up to environmental issues such as bird droppings, sap or even road tar and such?

Spazzz
Nov 29th, 2014, 07:48 AM
It would be nice to get a coat on before winter or in winter. Sure feels like winter already with the salt and buildup.
When it hits the market I will break a jackson and throw a coat on. Shouldn't be to much of a problem since I bought a torpedo heater.
I want to see how it compares to ULW and 845 in winter.

DV8
Dec 7th, 2014, 07:58 PM
Does this product have a "slick" surface feel to it seeing that it's a polymer or is it "grabby" like most of the coatings currently on the market? (The exceptions are Optimums gloss-coat and Car's Bullet proof). Will this offer any UV protection for a vehicle that sits out 24/7?

Looks like a very interesting and affordable product...

Eldorado2k
Dec 7th, 2014, 10:04 PM
I can confirm it is indeed slick. I currently have it on my hood 50/50 with Ultimate Paste Wax. I did a rinseless wash with D114 and the 365 side was noticably slicker than the UW side of my hood. The reflections are slightly sharper on the Ultimate Wax side.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e208/Eldorado2k/image_zpsd59d65e4.jpg (http://s40.photobucket.com/user/Eldorado2k/media/image_zpsd59d65e4.jpg.html)

It beads too.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e208/Eldorado2k/image_zpsed2f9ac3.jpg (http://s40.photobucket.com/user/Eldorado2k/media/image_zpsed2f9ac3.jpg.html)

davey g-force
Dec 7th, 2014, 10:06 PM
Cool, great pics.

goldenlight
Dec 12th, 2014, 02:24 PM
How does this stuff compare in the shine department? I know the shine comes from polishing. Just want to make sure Im not dulling my shine when I add this stuff as a final wipe.

The Guz
Dec 12th, 2014, 02:29 PM
I can confirm it is indeed slick. I currently have it on my hood 50/50 with Ultimate Paste Wax. I did a rinseless wash with D114 and the 365 side was noticably slicker than the UW side of my hood. The reflections are slightly sharper on the Ultimate Wax side.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e208/Eldorado2k/image_zpsd59d65e4.jpg (http://s40.photobucket.com/user/Eldorado2k/media/image_zpsd59d65e4.jpg.html)

It beads too.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e208/Eldorado2k/image_zpsed2f9ac3.jpg (http://s40.photobucket.com/user/Eldorado2k/media/image_zpsed2f9ac3.jpg.html)

Nice update. The beading looks great. I meant to ask you how it's been holding up.

How does this stuff compare in the shine department? I know the shine comes from polishing. Just want to make sure Im not dulling my shine when I add this stuff as a final wipe.

Seeing it first hand applied to the hood in the previous photo it won't dull the paint. Ultimate wax has more gloss to it.

ffboy
Dec 15th, 2014, 04:11 AM
Ah , yes.. Even more choices these days…
Before, paint sealant is topped with carnauba wax for the best of both worlds.. Great protection and crisp reflections offered by the sealant, great depth from the carnauba. Thanks to Meguiars, now we have another option.. Great protection and crisp reflections from the sealant, even more protection (not so much added shine) offered by paint protect 365. Plus, even more choices with the advent of synthetic+carnauba LSP’s…
And thanks to the Paint Protect 365, I may just stick with Meguiars waxes and sealants..

scottandrea
Dec 27th, 2014, 01:34 AM
Where is this available?
I've looked on Detailed Image Autogeek and Meguiar's online direct. Is it at retail brick and mortar?

Randmill
Dec 27th, 2014, 08:13 AM
detailing.com shows availability of this product as: "On backorder. Ships in approximately 2-9 business days." I'll be stopping in at at their store location in Irvine, CA sometime today and will see if they have any additional information on availability and post here again later.

joaks
Dec 28th, 2014, 07:29 AM
Is this the same product that was introduced in Asia several years ago? I almost asked someone to pick me up some of that and send it to me.

Here is an odd question, but I am serious. Can I wax my shower with this? I am looking for some way to help keep my shower clean (really want this for my car, shower is side-issue). I tried a standard wax years ago, but it does not hold up again bar soap and shampoo.

Michael Stoops
Dec 28th, 2014, 10:50 AM
Where is this available?
I've looked on Detailed Image Autogeek and Meguiar's online direct. Is it at retail brick and mortar?

detailing.com shows availability of this product as: "On backorder. Ships in approximately 2-9 business days." I'll be stopping in at at their store location in Irvine, CA sometime today and will see if they have any additional information on availability and post here again later.
Typical mass market retailers have to "reset shelves" before placing new items, and that usually happens in late January or February. Internet retailers don't have this constraint so it's easier for them to make new products available sooner - like as soon as they ship. That means places like amazon, autogeek, autodetailingsolutions, detailing, etc will generally have it available first. I don't know that this particular product has actually hit the distribution center just yet (I'm out of the office for a couple weeks on vacation) but if it isn't yet, it should be quite soon. Last I heard all the new products should be shipping by end of December and, well, we're pretty much there now, aren't we??

Is this the same product that was introduced in Asia several years ago? I almost asked someone to pick me up some of that and send it to me.

Here is an odd question, but I am serious. Can I wax my shower with this? I am looking for some way to help keep my shower clean (really want this for my car, shower is side-issue). I tried a standard wax years ago, but it does not hold up again bar soap and shampoo.
No, not the same product as M188 Deep Crystal Coating that we market only in Asia - far, far from it as a matter of fact. The only thing they share is the Meguiar's brand on the packaging, nothing more.

As for using it on your shower walls, go for it. We know plenty of people who have used Cleaner Wax via DA polisher to clean their shower walls and even glass doors. Obviously this won't clean like Cleaner Wax will, but it will be far more durable. If you do decide to treat your shower to an application of Paint Protect, please let us know how it goes. Oh, and we're sure this goes without saying, but please don't apply it to the floor of the shower stall or tub. ;)

joaks
Dec 28th, 2014, 02:39 PM
Michael,

Would you be able to tell me the difference between the M188 and the paint protect 365? Just curious.

I will keep you posted on the shower. Might try next weekend if I can get the product.

EDIT: Sorry if I missed it, but what are the lower and upper temperature ranges to apply this product? I've used UWP high 90s and near freezing, not sure this will be so flexible. Thankfully I don't live in a frozen region anymore :D

9C1 MAN
Dec 29th, 2014, 07:29 AM
Looking foward to trying this stuff :goodjob1

The Guz
Dec 30th, 2014, 10:59 PM
It's available on Autogeek. Perfect time to take advantage of the 25% off sale with a no minimum free shipping.

http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-paint-protect.html

paulcr39
Dec 31st, 2014, 09:05 AM
It's available on Autogeek. Perfect time to take advantage of the 25% off sale with a no minimum free shipping.

http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-paint-protect.html
Thank you Michael (The Guz) for the lead! Order placed.

Jeepster04
Dec 31st, 2014, 10:01 AM
Ordered mine! $7 and change shipped!

Then I turned around and ordered the new 5" thin pads and a new backing plate! Next up is the new buffer!

Wish ads still got all the new Meg's stuff. This is the first year in probably 5-6 years that I didn't get a ads gift certificate for Christmas. :(

MagicHands
Dec 31st, 2014, 12:08 PM
Like to check it out, Hey it's Meguiar's

Shawn T.
Jan 1st, 2015, 02:44 PM
Just ordered from AutoGeek. I can't wait to give this a shot!

BTLew81
Jan 1st, 2015, 07:51 PM
Ordered! So, Mr. Stoops, it seems it is ok to apply ultimate wax, give it a day to cure, and then apply paint protect over the ultimate for a best of both worlds approach?

Thanks.

The Guz
Jan 1st, 2015, 09:27 PM
Ordered! So, Mr. Stoops, it seems it is ok to apply ultimate wax, give it a day to cure, and then apply paint protect over the ultimate for a best of both worlds approach?

Thanks.

You could but then paint protect becomes your sacrificial barrier and who knows how long it will last on top of another wax. I would just polish and use this and be done. No toppers either and not even a spray wax.

WAXOFF
Jan 4th, 2015, 04:44 PM
I have this on its way. I hope it works well. I want to try it on my daughters car.

The Guz
Jan 4th, 2015, 04:50 PM
I ordered some as well. Going to use it on my brothers car when my new MT 300 arrives.

davey g-force
Jan 4th, 2015, 06:45 PM
Please report back with your findings guys! :)

Michael Stoops
Jan 5th, 2015, 09:03 AM

Thanks.
Theoretically, yes, but............

You could but then paint protect becomes your sacrificial barrier and who knows how long it will last on top of another wax. I would just polish and use this and be done. No toppers either and not even a spray wax.
Honestly, this is the way we'd go with it. Either stick with Paint Protect or stick with Ultimate, whichever you prefer. We aren't really sure what "best of both worlds" with these two products is since it's not like topping a synthetic with a carnauba where visual characteristics can be quite different.

Super Dave
Jan 6th, 2015, 10:19 AM
I am new to this forum... just joined today... so forgive me if this has already been answered elsewhere. Does the Paint Protect product offer any protection from UV light. I see a great deal about beading water. I am just wondering if it offers any additional protections such as UV light.

Jeepster04
Jan 7th, 2015, 04:59 AM
I've been wondering the same thing. Nice that it beads n such, but I want my paint to be protected from the sun and water spotting. Wondering if the high amount of beading may actually be a bad thing during those quick summer rains when the sun pops right back out. I think the majority of the etching on my paint came from wax that didn't actually protect it very well..

I used Deep Crystal 3 step early on. Good system, but I think the step 3 (wax) was lacking.

Michael Stoops
Jan 7th, 2015, 07:45 AM
I am new to this forum... just joined today... so forgive me if this has already been answered elsewhere. Does the Paint Protect product offer any protection from UV light. I see a great deal about beading water. I am just wondering if it offers any additional protections such as UV light.
Yes, it does provide UV protection, absolutely.

Welcome to MOL by the way!!

Michael Stoops
Jan 7th, 2015, 08:07 AM
I've been wondering the same thing. Nice that it beads n such, but I want my paint to be protected from the sun and water spotting. Wondering if the high amount of beading may actually be a bad thing during those quick summer rains when the sun pops right back out. I think the majority of the etching on my paint came from wax that didn't actually protect it very well..

I used Deep Crystal 3 step early on. Good system, but I think the step 3 (wax) was lacking.

The biggest potential issue with quick summer rains is that it's such a gentle rain that the water just sits there - there is no motion of the vehicle to create air flow to move it off the surface, and gravity really can't move water spots off a flat, horizontal surface. Sheeting may or may not be better here as it really depends on just how the rain came down - how heavy, how long, etc. In some cases, where there is enough water, sheeting would likely help to alleviate some of this, but a very light rain will sit in droplets on the paint no matter what, and that may or may not cause some issues. Whether you've got really tight little beads of water, or slightly larger puddles, if you're dealing with an acid rain situation then you've got that low pH liquid sitting on the paint doing what it does that we don't like. If there is heavy mineral content in the water, when the water evaporates those minerals will be left behind regardless, and they can and will etch the paint. And remember, anything that can etch paint can and will get through any wax or sealant in fairly short order. To expect a wax or sealant to prevent that from happening assumes that the wax/sealant is actually stronger than the paint, which obviously it is not.

In an ideal situation a wax/sealant would cause water to totally "wet the surface". That's actually a technical phrase that means the exact opposite of beading. Imagine putting your garden hose on a medium flow and you adjustable nozzle on a fine mist. Aim the nozzle into the air above the hood of your car and let the water flow, simulating a light rain fall. On a properly waxed car this water will land on the horizontal surface and create some very nice beads. A wax/sealant that did a truly outstanding job of sheeting would instead cause this same light mist to make the entire surface wet with a sheet of water - it would totally "wet the surface". On vertical surfaces most of this water would be pulled off the paint by gravity, but again, on a horizontal surface gravity can't pull the water sideways and off the vehicle, so it would lay there in a sheet. This may or may not actually be preferable to beading, depending on your point of view, how you maintain the vehicle, etc. What we do know for sure (and some may not want to hear this) is that such a product would fail miserably in the marketplace. As much as we know that beading alone is not necessarily an indicator of protection (you can apply M07 Show Car Glaze to a finish, spray some water on it and that water will bead like mad, but there is zero protection in M07), the consuming public directly equates beading with protection. If a wax doesn't bead for several weeks, in their mind the wax is gone already and they're not happy. We even see this on detailing forums around the great Interwebs...... someone posts a picture of water on their car that really isn't beading very well and they complain that the lousy wax they applied just a couple of weeks ago is already gone. Rants against the product go dang near viral, and everyone thinks it's junk. We used to hear this all the time with the original formulation of NXT Tech Wax; easy to apply, nice shine, but the junk doesn't last but a week or so and the beading is gone. Save your money and get XYZBoutique Wax instead because it lasts soooo much longer. Uh huh. We wanted NXT to sheet, but the world saw sheeting as failure - even detailing enthusiasts who should know better saw it that way.

Perhaps the ideal would be for a surface that is so incredibly hydrophobic that the contact angle of the beads is so sharp that they literally roll off the paint, even on the slightest deviation from horizontal. It's possible. And expensive. Crazy expensive.

Marc08EX
Jan 7th, 2015, 10:53 AM
The biggest potential issue with quick summer rains is that it's such a gentle rain that the water just sits there - there is no motion of the vehicle to create air flow to move it off the surface, and gravity really can't move water spots off a flat, horizontal surface. Sheeting may or may not be better here as it really depends on just how the rain came down - how heavy, how long, etc. In some cases, where there is enough water, sheeting would likely help to alleviate some of this, but a very light rain will sit in droplets on the paint no matter what, and that may or may not cause some issues. Whether you've got really tight little beads of water, or slightly larger puddles, if you're dealing with an acid rain situation then you've got that low pH liquid sitting on the paint doing what it does that we don't like. If there is heavy mineral content in the water, when the water evaporates those minerals will be left behind regardless, and they can and will etch the paint. And remember, anything that can etch paint can and will get through any wax or sealant in fairly short order. To expect a wax or sealant to prevent that from happening assumes that the wax/sealant is actually stronger than the paint, which obviously it is not.

In an ideal situation a wax/sealant would cause water to totally "wet the surface". That's actually a technical phrase that means the exact opposite of beading. Imagine putting your garden hose on a medium flow and you adjustable nozzle on a fine mist. Aim the nozzle into the air above the hood of your car and let the water flow, simulating a light rain fall. On a properly waxed car this water will land on the horizontal surface and create some very nice beads. A wax/sealant that did a truly outstanding job of sheeting would instead cause this same light mist to make the entire surface wet with a sheet of water - it would totally "wet the surface". On vertical surfaces most of this water would be pulled off the paint by gravity, but again, on a horizontal surface gravity can't pull the water sideways and off the vehicle, so it would lay there in a sheet. This may or may not actually be preferable to beading, depending on your point of view, how you maintain the vehicle, etc. What we do know for sure (and some may not want to hear this) is that such a product would fail miserably in the marketplace. As much as we know that beading alone is not necessarily an indicator of protection (you can apply M07 Show Car Glaze to a finish, spray some water on it and that water will bead like mad, but there is zero protection in M07), the consuming public directly equates beading with protection. If a wax doesn't bead for several weeks, in their mind the wax is gone already and they're not happy. We even see this on detailing forums around the great Interwebs...... someone posts a picture of water on their car that really isn't beading very well and they complain that the lousy wax they applied just a couple of weeks ago is already gone. Rants against the product go dang near viral, and everyone thinks it's junk. We used to hear this all the time with the original formulation of NXT Tech Wax; easy to apply, nice shine, but the junk doesn't last but a week or so and the beading is gone. Save your money and get XYZBoutique Wax instead because it lasts soooo much longer. Uh huh. We wanted NXT to sheet, but the world saw sheeting as failure - even detailing enthusiasts who should know better saw it that way.

Perhaps the ideal would be for a surface that is so incredibly hydrophobic that the contact angle of the beads is so sharp that they literally roll off the paint, even on the slightest deviation from horizontal. It's possible. And expensive. Crazy expensive.

Mike,

I'm one of those people - guilty as charged! I've always thought that beading is a sign of protection and the presence of wax/sealant on the paint. So if certain waxes are designed to sheet the water (like NXT 2.0 - didn't know that), how could we tell if there's any wax remaining?

blackttqld
Jan 7th, 2015, 07:27 PM
Is there any website that sells this product who ship to Australia?
I have been in touch with Meguiars Australia and they have said they are not ranging it here.
Any help would be much appreciated

ffboy
Jan 8th, 2015, 03:23 AM
Mike,

I'm one of those people - guilty as charged! I've always thought that beading is a sign of protection and the presence of wax/sealant on the paint. So if certain waxes are designed to sheet the water (like NXT 2.0 - didn't know that), how could we tell if there's any wax remaining?

And I too am guilty, as well.. I think, the current way to check is if a quick detailer becomes more difficult to spread/remove.

Jeepster04
Jan 8th, 2015, 04:22 AM

This is such an awesome post. It covers so many aspects of a wax/sealant, many of which I've always wondered about.

Im amazed how cheap the 365 is. I got a bottle shipped to my house for $7.xx. Not sure how its so cheap?? How expensive is 'crazy expensive?'

Mike,

Another things Ive always wondered. Be cool to have some sort of small hand held device that would tell you a %. Hold it on the paint and it shows such and such % is left. :cool:

Michael Stoops
Jan 8th, 2015, 08:25 AM
Mike,

How do you tell? You wait for ffboy to make a comment like this:

And I too am guilty, as well.. I think, the current way to check is if a quick detailer becomes more difficult to spread/remove.
Yep, that's generally the easiest way to tell if there's any wax left; once your quick detail spray becomes a bit more difficult to remove, that's a good indicator that your wax is fast approaching depletion.

This is such an awesome post. It covers so many aspects of a wax/sealant, many of which I've always wondered about.

Im amazed how cheap the 365 is. I got a bottle shipped to my house for $7.xx. Not sure how its so cheap?? How expensive is 'crazy expensive?'

Another things Ive always wondered. Be cool to have some sort of small hand held device that would tell you a %. Hold it on the paint and it shows such and such % is left. :cool:
You got Paint Protect delivered for about $7? Sheesh, that is cheap! Hang on while I got talk to our marketing dept about raising the price of this product. Or would you guys prefer I not do that????

As for the "crazy expensive" remark made previously, how much money you got?? Look, we all know that there are waxes on the market that are priced at $1000 or more, and in some case, a lot more. Only a very tiny percentage of that big jump in price is raw materials, while a larger part is due to economies of scale (or lack thereof, in these cases) as the products are produced in very low volumes. And a very large part is marketing, the aura of exclusivity, perhaps even plain old hype. Most of the very expensive waxes on the market are pure beauty waxes and don't provide any more protection (and certainly no more durability) than any other wax on the market. So, the "crazy expensive" remark was not in reference to that kind of high priced product, but rather to the cost of raw materials that will actually provide specific characteristics (extreme contact angle hydrophobic action, multi year durability, etc) and the manufacturing processes needed to manufacturer the product. Then add in the R&D dollars to create the product; not just to create a basic product with those ingredients, but to create such a product that is actually easy to work with for someone who hasn't gone through some sort of manufacturer's training program to use the stuff. In discussions with our chemists, they've said they can do all sorts of crazy things if budget is taken out of the equation. But who's buying $1000 waxes? And how many more people would spend that kind of money if the wax - actually, let's call it a "protectant" now since "wax" is probably not the correct terminology for such a product - if the protectant actually performed to such a high level? It plays into that whole law of diminishing returns sort of thing. A C7 Stingray offers, on paper at least, virtually all the performance of a Ferrari F12 Berlinetta, but at less than 1/3 the price. Chevy also sells a lot more Corvettes than Ferrari does F12s, and Volkswagen sells even fewer Bugatti Veyrons. And, yes, the Veyron is certainly faster than an F12 but at what - 7 times the price??? As you approach the extreme high end of anything, very tiny performance gains come with almost exponential cost increases.

Speaking of really expensive stuff, you can buy instruments that can measure film thicknesses of waxes, sealants, coatings, etc. It's tough to get enthusiasts and even some pro detailers to spend $400 on a really good paint thickness gauge though, let alone the few thousand dollars they'd have to spend on something that will read how much wax is on the paint. It is infinitely cheaper to just go out and wax the car again!! Besides, think about how wax degrades over time (and this goes for synthetic sealants and even the current crop of advanced coatings): the key word is "degrade". These products, once applied to the paint, break down slowly over time and with exposure to the elements. You don't apply a wax on January 1 and it's suddenly gone on March 1, even though it was all still there on February 28 (or 29, depending on the year!). And since different areas of a car experience different levels of exposure, a wax will degrade at different rates on different areas of the car. Sure, having a tool that could read all this would be cool. OK, I'll admit it, it would also be fun. But would it really be all that useful? Or make any sort of economic sense? A paint thickness gauge makes all kinds of economic sense - a $400 investment (or less, if you shop around a bit) can save you from having to spend $1000 or more to repair damage due to over sanding or polishing a car. Multiple cars, in fact. But to read how much wax is left? Let's be honest here; if you forget to wax your car after three months and do it instead at the four month mark, nothing horribly expensive is going to happen. Nah, just go out and give your car some love, and apply a fresh coat. That's fun, too!

Michael Stoops
Jan 8th, 2015, 08:35 AM
Is there any website that sells this product who ship to Australia?
I have been in touch with Meguiars Australia and they have said they are not ranging it here.
Any help would be much appreciated
We see this is your first post, so welcome to MOL!

Technically, nobody really should be shipping product to any country where we have a partner in place who imports for us. And that's not just a Meguiar's stance, but pretty common throughout any industry. But it does happen and we obviously can't police every reseller of our product. Most resellers don't want to deal with this sort of long distance selling for liability reasons. If a seller ships a $10 product half way around the world and something goes wrong and a warranty claim comes up, they are on the hook for it. No company in the world who does not export a given product to a given country will honor a warranty on that product - that even includes automobiles. So that reseller is on the hook, and they don't want to deal with the expense of international shipping costs that they can never recoup.

That said, if you find someone who is willing to ship this product internationally, then so be it. If you have a friend/acquaintance in the US who is willing to take delivery and then ship it to you, so be it. Hopefully there will be enough positive buzz about this product that Meguiar's Australia will decide to import it, but that decision is there's based on a variety of factors in that market. We don't force product on our international partners.

Eldorado2k
Jan 8th, 2015, 08:43 AM
Hi Michael, speaking of paint thinkness gauges, is there a chance of a new 1 to upgrade the current model in the Meguiars garage for 2015?;)
[Not the wax measuring 1]

Michael Stoops
Jan 8th, 2015, 10:53 AM
Hi Michael, speaking of paint thinkness gauges, is there a chance of a new 1 to upgrade the current model in the Meguiars garage for 2015?;)
[Not the wax measuring 1]
I believe the one in our training garage is still good. What did you have in mind? You want us to get one of those really pricey ones that measures individual layers of paint - ecoat, primer, color coat, clear coat?

Eldorado2k
Jan 8th, 2015, 12:09 PM
If there was ever a place on earth that oughta have 1, The Meguairs Garage in Irvine certainly fits the bill;)

Jeepster04
Jan 8th, 2015, 03:49 PM
Yes sir, autogeek had a 25% off sale with free shipping, no minimum! $7.49 shipped to be exact! Waiting till some free time to try it out!

Its a joy reading your posts. Its obvious you know and enjoy your job!

And Most of the stuff I do isnt practical, so why should a wax durability gauge be? Haha

Do I need 40 ratchets? No, but I like them and looking at them makes me happy.

The Guz
Jan 8th, 2015, 05:04 PM
^^^ That was a great sale. I got a backorder from Autogeek from that sale. I also spoke to one of the people that works at Autogeek and to quote that person "Paint Protect flew off the shelves". I'm ok with it since I'm waiting for them to ship out my MT 300 that I pre-ordered.

blackttqld
Jan 8th, 2015, 05:09 PM
We see this is your first post, so welcome to MOL!

Technically, nobody really should be shipping product to any country where we have a partner in place who imports for us. And that's not just a Meguiar's stance, but pretty common throughout any industry. But it does happen and we obviously can't police every reseller of our product. Most resellers don't want to deal with this sort of long distance selling for liability reasons. If a seller ships a $10 product half way around the world and something goes wrong and a warranty claim comes up, they are on the hook for it. No company in the world who does not export a given product to a given country will honor a warranty on that product - that even includes automobiles. So that reseller is on the hook, and they don't want to deal with the expense of international shipping costs that they can never recoup.

That said, if you find someone who is willing to ship this product internationally, then so be it. If you have a friend/acquaintance in the US who is willing to take delivery and then ship it to you, so be it. Hopefully there will be enough positive buzz about this product that Meguiar's Australia will decide to import it, but that decision is there's based on a variety of factors in that market. We don't force product on our international partners.

Thanks for the reply :) And yes I've been lurking around on these forums and forgot it was my first post lol :)

I totally understand what you have said, hopefully I can find someone trust worthy who would be able to ship this product down here so I could try it out :)

Marc08EX
Jan 8th, 2015, 05:49 PM
Yes sir, autogeek had a 25% off sale with free shipping, no minimum! $7.49 shipped to be exact! Waiting till some free time to try it out!

I wish I added the paint protect to my cart during that sale. I now regret not adding it to my order.

Jeepster04
Jan 8th, 2015, 06:52 PM
I had been checking it through the holidays. When I woke up that morning and had the email about the 25% off, I was browsing around and saw that the 365 was in stock. I sorta panicked and ordered it really quick. I kept searching and placed two more orders.

I felt bad for placing three separate orders but I was overwhelmed! Sent them a comment asking them to combine them, and they did two of them.

Someone said they got the new polisher with the 25% off but it says you cant use a discount on it, so I didnt try it. Ive got a $20 certificate though, may try that b

The Guz
Jan 8th, 2015, 07:10 PM
I wish I added the paint protect to my cart during that sale. I now regret not adding it to my order.

Detailing.com has it in stock. Use THEFIND5OFF and you get 5% off. Not a lot but still something.

Someone said they got the new polisher with the 25% off but it says you cant use a discount on it, so I didnt try it. Ive got a $20 certificate though, may try that b

AGO had a no exclusion sale during the holidays which I believe was a 20% sale. Not with the 25%. Although if you call Nick at AGO sometimes he hooks people up with the discount. With no exclusions you could use it on polishers. That's what I did and I had a $100 gift certificate that I got for $80 on a previous sale a few months back. I paid about $87-89 out of pocket for the MT300. Can't beat that.

The Guz
Jan 10th, 2015, 12:30 AM
Someone posted this review on Autogeek.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3bi0EASbiE&feature=youtu.be

Spazzz
Jan 10th, 2015, 12:25 PM
This might have been answered already but here goes.
Today I sprayed the salt and frozen slush off the car. The panels rinsed off like a breeze with Ultimate wax and D156 on them.
Now the wheel wells were a different story. I had to spray for a while to get the winter unstuck.

I never really gave the wheel wells any kind of coating, sealant or wax.
Would the 365 work on the plastic liner to help prevent any thing from sticking?

The Guz
Jan 10th, 2015, 01:17 PM
Today I sprayed the salt and frozen slush off the car. The panels rinsed off like a breeze with Ultimate wax and D156 on them.
Now the wheel wells were a different story. I had to spray for a while to get the winter unstuck.

Would the 365 work on the plastic liner to help prevent any thing from sticking?

You might want to look into the new ultimate black trim restorer (http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?62177-Ultimate-Black-Plastic-Restorer). For the price it may be worth a shot to try it out. If not you might want to invest in some type of coating like Car Pro Dlux.

Jeepster04
Jan 12th, 2015, 10:09 AM
I've found that most anything will wear off in the fender wheels the first time you drive it in the rain. It's like constantly being pressure washed in there.

Some apc and an old grout sponge seems to do good for me.

Meticulous-Detail
Jan 12th, 2015, 12:05 PM

365 day durability

Meguiars Paint Protect is one year paint protection in a bottle! This innovative, pure synthetic protectant provides tenacious water beading that lasts up to one year or 50 car washes. Meguiars Paint Protect is arguably one of the easiest synthetic sealants to apply – simply wipe on and wipe off! Meguiars Paint Protect won’t stain or discolor plastic trim.

Meguiars Paint Protect is the perfect product for the person that wants to take the simple, fast approach to waxing their car. By creating a formula that doesn’t require any rubbing or buffing, Meguiars Paint Protect appeals to people that simply don’t have the time or interest in waxing their car on a monthly basis.

Meguiars Paint Protect features Meguiars latest Hydrophobic Polymer Technology. Water will bead up and roll right off your paint!

Meguiars Paint Protect works on paint, chrome, wheels, plastic, and metal!

Experience the easier side of car care and detailing with Meguiars Paint Protect.

Spazzz
Jan 12th, 2015, 07:31 PM
Thanks Meticulous.....That slipped right by me.

Loach
Jan 13th, 2015, 08:02 PM
Hey guys, I've got a few questions after working with this new product. The video above is the water test I performed while working with Paint Protect. As you can see from my results, the product largely appears to behave more like a water sheeting LSP. Those types of products are largely less hydrophobic, that lower surface tension causes the water to run flatter, yielding great sheeting results while rinsing before drying. IMO, that does leave less than impressive beading however. I have removed the product and applied it a few times now leaving me with the same results after the recommended 24 hour cure period. My prep is wash/rinse/clay/M205 by hand/IPA wipedown. I originally did not use an IPA prep after M205 and those results are shown in the video above, however my follow up test after prepping with IPA before applying Paint Protect yields the same results as before. Now, after reviewing this thread I'm left with the impression that this product was designed as a higher surface tension, incredibly water repellent tight beading product, as opposed to the lower surface tension products that allow water to sheet more slowly off panels when rinsed. My question is would you say that my test above is an accurate measure of how this product was designed to perform? And my next question is why is this product not recommended for glass/windows?

I have another car that I've prepped and applied Paint Protect onto that I'll test tomorrow, just in case something is unique about the Honda's clearcoat that might be affecting my results. Or it could very well possibly be something in my prep process, or even my environment. Florida weather is outstanding right now, but the car is not garaged, the first tests were applied out of the sun, temperature in the 70s, dipped to around 45 overnight that first test. No rain during the cure period. Last few tests have had more consistent temperatures, in the 70s on application, mid 50s to mid 60s overnight. Again, no rain. Product is rinsed out of the sun while paint is cool to the touch.

I just think a lot of people who read this thread and then watch my rinse test video are going to be scratching their heads a little bit. So I really want to try and get the test right so I can properly showcase what this product was designed to do. I'll keep working with it, but your insight will be very much appreciated.

davey g-force
Jan 13th, 2015, 08:35 PM
I think a lot of the beading vs sheeting depends on how the water is applied to the surface.

Point your hose nozzle up in the air so that the water lands on the car similar to a rain shower. I think you'll find it will bead then. :)

Michael Stoops
Jan 14th, 2015, 06:59 PM
I just think a lot of people who read this thread and then watch my rinse test video are going to be scratching their heads a little bit. So I really want to try and get the test right so I can properly showcase what this product was designed to do. I'll keep working with it, but your insight will be very much appreciated.

Welcome to MOL, Loach!!

We appreciate you taking the time to put that video together, but we want to point out a few things about the behavior of this product and how you might want to slightly alter your test, should you decide to do a follow up video.

First off, while a 24 hour cure time is indeed important, what is perhaps even more important is that the product be allowed to sit for a week or so, and then wash the car. Doing that will allow any of the "carrier ingredients" and oils from the product to dissipate and get washed away. That then allows the true nature of the product to show through. What we'd love to see is Paint Protect side by side with the same product you used in this video, then a week later wash the car (or just the hood, for demo purposes, if you wish), and compare the results. Then wash it again. And again. Let's then see what's left of this and the other product.

Remember, we aren't saying that this product will have the tightest beads in the world, just that the beading will extremely long lasting. One is maybe a very short lived "ooh and aah" trick, the other is actually a very desirable feature of the product.

Loach
Jan 14th, 2015, 08:10 PM
Thanks Mike, I appreciate the input! I'll definitely give the test a shot. Florida 7-day forecast is expected to be dry and highs in the 60-70s. Any particular soap that you guys used throughout your testing?

The Guz
Jan 14th, 2015, 08:50 PM
Thanks Mike, I appreciate the input! I'll definitely give the test a shot. Florida 7-day forecast is expected to be dry and highs in the 60-70s. Any particular soap that you guys used throughout your testing?

Maybe try something with no wax in it. From Meguiar's you can try Gold Class.

joaks
Jan 25th, 2015, 12:31 PM
Got mine and have started the application. I am applying after clay (white) and two coats of #7.

So far looks good, although the #7 is doing most of the heavy lifting for looks.

Application is ridiculously easy.

Hope it lasts. Really don't want to apply #7 again...

KidDetailer
Jan 26th, 2015, 01:20 AM
Been away for some time, and i can't believe this thread has blown to 14 pages now.

I am curious if this product has any UV protection?
I'm concern with headlights yellowing, and want something that adds to it. I know there is "headlight protectant", but curious about Paint Protection.

joaks
Jan 26th, 2015, 04:12 AM
I think somewhere in this thread Michael says that it does have UV protection.

Michael Stoops
Jan 26th, 2015, 09:42 AM
Yep, it definitely has UV protection. While you certainly can use it on your headlights, there are better things out there for that. Like our new Perfect Clarity Headlight Restoration Kit (http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?62178-Perfect-Clarity-Headlight-Restoration-Kit) and the aerosol protectant spray it includes.

Jeepster04
Jan 30th, 2015, 10:13 AM
Yep, it definitely has UV protection. While you certainly can use it on your headlights, there are better things out there for that. Like our new Perfect Clarity Headlight Restoration Kit (http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?62178-Perfect-Clarity-Headlight-Restoration-Kit) and the aerosol protectant spray it includes.

How does the spray compare to the liquid version of head light protectant? Same stuff or?

joaks
Feb 7th, 2015, 12:26 PM
I'm curious as to how well this product will withstand washing at a coin-op car wash. I seem to recall that the detergents used there are more harsh than standard car wash soap.

The Guz
Feb 7th, 2015, 04:28 PM
I had a chance to play around with this on a small exterior panel. A little goes a long away. It spread out real easy. It removes very easily and it left the surface very slick.

Super Dave
Feb 7th, 2015, 05:04 PM
Just finished waxing/coating my 2015 white Toyota 4Runner with Paint Protect. A VERY small amount goes a long way. 3-4 small drops would easily cover the entire hood. To cover my entire SUV I would say that I used 1/40 of the bottle. The directions say it will not dry to a haze like normal waxes and I believe it. I am not sure the stuff would ever dry. I wiped it off after 5-10 minutes. It took probably 4x as many microfiber towels to buff it off compared to normal waxes because wax eventually dries where this stuff doesn't seem to. I may have used too much. I have never seen a product where so little goes so far. It has no noticeable smell. It has the consistency of water. It is without a doubt the slipperiest stuff I have ever seen. 1 drop of this stuff on your shower floor and you will be in the hospital. It did not appear to hide any defects, but Meguiars never claimed it would. I did use it on the black trim. So far the black trim looks like a freshly dressed tire and there is zero white residue anywhere. I'll let the Paint Protect sit and cure for a while and we'll see what happens.

I would suggest a redesign to the bottle if the opportunity presents itself... This stuff is super slick... By the time you get some on your hands and a little on the bottle... You will find it hard to hold on to the bottle. I wrapped my bottle in a microfiber just to keep from dropping it. The bottle needs a slip-resistant surface.

Hope this helps someone here... Remember it goes a loooog way.

WAXOFF
Feb 14th, 2015, 10:58 AM
I did my Jeep last weekend and I agree. A little goes a long way and very slick feeling. I wear nitrile gloves but agree the bottle gets hard to hold. Maybe mold the bottle with a handle.

Loach
Feb 23rd, 2015, 08:16 AM
Hey guys, I have read a few reviews on Autogeek's product page and I had a member on YouTube comment in my video saying they are seeing better repellency out of it, one even mentions better repellency than the ICE in my test. If you have applied this, please give it a rinsedown and share your experience here. I would hate to have my video showcase results from this product that aren't typical for most other users.

gclark26
Feb 23rd, 2015, 08:49 AM
Mike
Would you recommend using 365 in a spray bottle or would this apply to much product?

pwaug
Feb 23rd, 2015, 02:03 PM
Picked up a bottle today at AutoZone--$9.99

Mike--do you think it would be OK to apply PP with an air temp of 42-44 degrees?? Perhaps letting it cure a little longer than 3-5 minutes???

levorn10
Feb 23rd, 2015, 07:54 PM
So, Im about to detail a black z06. Paint is pretty bad due to the car has been sitting for the past 3 years outside. I plan on using m105, then to m205. But my question is do I use my black wax then to the 365 or just skip the wax and apply the 365???? Also, what pad should be used with the 365?

davey g-force
Feb 23rd, 2015, 08:27 PM
No ned for the Black Wax in that case. :)

The Guz
Feb 23rd, 2015, 08:53 PM
No ned for the Black Wax in that case. :)

Exactly this. Seal the paint after M205 and be done.

exploreco
Feb 24th, 2015, 04:29 AM
I don't know where the heck I have been at :doh just now reading about this new product and wanting to try it out. Glad to know I can go to Autozone and get it. I haven't made it through all of threads yet but I like what this offers.

Meticulous-Detail
Feb 24th, 2015, 08:05 AM
Anyone who has tried PP 365 have a durability updated? How is it holding up?

levorn10
Feb 24th, 2015, 08:23 AM
Thanks for the replies!!!

The Guz
Feb 24th, 2015, 12:10 PM
I had some time before I went to work to use 365. I polished out the hood on my daily driver with M205, followed by DP Prep Polish to remove the oils from M205 and then applied 365. DP Prep Polish is optional. I am just curious to see how it bonds to paint with no polishing oils on it.

Unfortunately my daily sits outside so it will not get the 24 hour cure in an enclosed area. The good thing is that it is 71 degrees here today so hopefully the sun's heat will cure it a little quicker. The low for tonight is 52 degrees. Looks like there is a 10% chance of rain this friday and saturday but that usually means it won't rain. That's the benefit of living in Southern California.

pwaug
Feb 25th, 2015, 02:07 PM
Washed the car and wheels today and cleaned the wheels with Griots Paint Prep, dried well and applied PP. Put a small amount in an atomizer spray bottle which made it great to spread it evenly on a B&S red hand applicator pad. Only took two sprays per wheel. Since it was 45 degrees in the garage let it cure for an hour before wiping off--no problems removing and the wheels are slick as eel snot. Now just wait and see how it holds up.

exploreco
Feb 25th, 2015, 05:24 PM
Picked up a bottle today Autozone. Will try it on my daily driver when the weather breaks. I still need to finish reading through all of the threads to see what I am missing.

paulcr39
Feb 25th, 2015, 05:28 PM
I applied it to my wife's van on 18th of January. I rinsed the salt off of it a few weeks after that but no wash since then. When I wash it I will post pics and report on it in this thread. Currently the van is crusty with road salt.

Meticulous-Detail
Mar 1st, 2015, 07:49 AM
Just picked up some yesterday,can't wait to try it.

Jeepster04
Mar 5th, 2015, 09:23 AM
FINALLY got the Jeep out in some rain. That beading is INSANE on the hood. It beads so much the hood really never gets wet! I think it beads better than the rainx on the windshield.

The Guz
Mar 5th, 2015, 12:43 PM
Should have posted some photos. Curious to see what you are seeing.

Jeepster04
Mar 6th, 2015, 10:59 AM
Funny you say that. Normally I would have several photos of the beading but lately Ive not been myself. Life is getting in the way of my normal self... :(

The Guz
Mar 6th, 2015, 08:53 PM
I am curious to see how you're beads look compared to the review I wrote and the review for Loach as we have experienced similar beading.

paulcr39
Mar 15th, 2015, 03:10 PM

I applied it to my wife's van on 18th of January. I rinsed the salt off of it a few weeks after that but no wash since then. When I wash it I will post pics and report on it in this thread. Currently the van is crusty with road salt.
Well no pics were taken as I was utterly surprised by the failure of this product. Since I applied it in my heated garage I hoped it had cured before the garage cooled down that night. Garage was up around 55-60* F, but the humidity was high and like I said the heater was off after I left the garage, so most likely I was the culprit in it's failure. I will reapply it in a month or so when the temperatures are up higher day and night and the van gets it's spring clay, polish and seal.
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj50/paulcr39/Our%20wheels/8065C202-FC55-47FE-9F5D-F4C57D371C1F_zpsydk3mgbf.jpg
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj50/paulcr39/Our%20wheels/1CFAFE63-3E77-4760-8A0C-BA394F34DB63_zpsqjnmolum.jpg
The only places I had any beading was the back half of the hood and the entire roof. The rest of the vehicle did not bead or even sheet water very well. You ever wash a car that hasn't seen any car wash in years? Remember how the water just lays there? Yeah, that's what I had.

Correction: The right rear passenger window had it on it and it was beading better than Rain-x or Aquapel ever have for me.

UPW on the paint to tide me over until April or May arrive. I thought ULW was easy to apply but my first time with UPW blew me away.

Good therapy today...wax on...wax off. ;) :dance1

I have complete faith this product will work as promised if applied in warmer weather and the product gets to setup as required. :teach Meguiar's hasn't disappointed me yet and I doubt this will be my first.

joaks
Mar 19th, 2015, 09:38 AM
As far as the product dieing quickly- there is a video on another forum of where it lost all beading very quickly.

My car looks like it might have lost it too- but until today I had too much pollen on the car (the pollen could break the surface tension). I will know this afternoon for sure since it is raining.

I am also interested in any follow-ups from others.

Meticulous-Detail
Mar 19th, 2015, 04:16 PM
Rut Roh! :nervous1

joaks
Mar 20th, 2015, 05:32 AM
Sorry guys, false alarm. Nothing to see here.

Car must have been too dirty. After a day of rain I have beading again.

On a side note- it was warm (65-70ish) when I applied it. Maybe that is important.

paulcr39
Mar 21st, 2015, 09:38 AM
I'm pretty sure the cold temp killed the curing. I also applied Paint Protect to my brother's Camry which sits outside 24/7 and beading is excellent on all panels, horizontal AND vertical.

roushstage2
Mar 21st, 2015, 07:37 PM
I bought PP365 last month and haven't used it on anything until tonight. Our '12 Fusion is Metallic Black (Tuxedo Black as Ford calls it) and since buying it back in June of 2013, it hasn't ever been waxed, and hand washed maybe once or twice. :nervous1 Well, yesterday it went from being sprayed off to being wiped down with Last Touch to getting waxed with Black Wax on the PC. What can I say, overcast days are the perfect detailing days! Anyways, the car looked waaaaaay better after the Black Wax; better than when we bought it. What car doesn't look better even after just a proper waxing compared to a dealership detail, right?! I even had someone ask me if it was a new car later in the day yesterday. :cool: The metallic really pops now. So knowing about how often the car does, or doesn't I should say, get washed and waxed, I figured I'd use PP365 on the horizontal surfaces today for some extra protection from the sun. Of course, that turned into doing the entire car!

PP365 is very slick and a little does go very far. It's safe to say that I probably used too much. It was cooling off as I started this little project when the sun started going down, but it ended up sitting on the paint for about 20 minutes before I started removal. Despite the time of day, it was probably still in the 60's and the paint even warmer as it was in the sun pretty much all day. I had to wipe a little more than I would have with a "normal" wax, but that was to be expected due to the nature of the product, the paint being on the warmer side and using too much product. The paint looks quite slick and I intend on letting it cure, untouched for at least a week (it'll probably end up being about 1.5-2 weeks and then I'll wash it and see what happens.

evomacky
Mar 27th, 2015, 08:51 AM
I don't know if anyone's asked this already, but aside from the water beading, does this provide any other protection? does it at least have some UV protection for the paint because I don't see it anywhere.

paulcr39
Mar 29th, 2015, 07:15 AM
Here is a pic of my brother's old Camry:
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj50/paulcr39/Our%20wheels/0668A53D-84B7-423B-86E5-0FEF96314349_zpskzxgkmk3.jpg
Beading nicely. Car sits outside 24/7.

Super Dave
Apr 1st, 2015, 06:48 AM
I don't know if anyone's asked this already, but aside from the water beading, does this provide any other protection? does it at least have some UV protection for the paint because I don't see it anywhere.

It does have UV protection. This was asked earlier on in the thread by me. I too wanted UV protection.

jirehone7
Apr 11th, 2015, 02:30 AM
Hi from Malaysia.
Just bought a Subaru SUV XV
Black in colour. Car saleman suggested that I should
do a paint coating to protect my paint from sun and other
dirt. Paint coating costs around USD 700-1500 over here.
My question: Is this required? I prefer DIY and Meguiars
products.Car is three months old.
Appreciate advice.

Don
Apr 11th, 2015, 02:39 AM
A coating is not required. All that's needed is a routine waxing with a quality product and Meguiar's has plenty of those. (For a lot less money than 700-1500 USD)

ffboy
Apr 11th, 2015, 02:56 AM
That much?! 700-1500 USD? You're better off just doing that detailing yourself. I would:

Wash
Clay
A cleaner wax like black wax
Finish it up with Ultimate wax
Maintain regularly with weekly car wash
Ultimate Quik Detailer and Ulimate Quik Wax

Or you can ultimate polish for more depth and slight cleaning ability,
then apply paint protect

With these steps and products, you'll barely touch 350.00 USD

Merlin
Apr 11th, 2015, 08:08 AM
Just bought a Subaru SUV XV Black in colour.
Car salesman suggested that I should do a paint coating to protect my paint from sun and other dirt.
My question: Is this required? I prefer DIY and Meguiars products.Car is three months old.
Appreciate advice.

IMHO If you own black and want it to look nice and stay looking nice learn to maintain it yourself.
This means everything from a very clean two bucket wash method to removing slight wash swirls.
Protect your paint from other dirt? Keep it clean, keep it coated with a quality wax/sealant & enjoy.
Coatings are not required. If you refer DIY and Megs products than by all means do what you like.
BTW : Did the car salesman mention that he could have Rusty Jones take care if that for you???

I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

SHYNEMAN123
Apr 12th, 2015, 04:29 AM
Any chance for updated version of Medallion ? And the Mirror Benz lol

Buck91
Apr 18th, 2015, 01:44 AM
Well, I hope this question doesn't just get lost in all these replies, but I will ask it anyways.

Even when I don't have time to keep up on detailing I lole to keep my headlights waxed to prevent if damage down the road. Waxes typically do not last very long for that between the 24/7 exposure and then the highway wind and debris buffing. How long should I wait between reapplications? Can I top with a wax? And will claying remove pp365 should I want a to?

Don
Apr 18th, 2015, 03:59 AM
Well, I hope this question doesn't just get lost in all these replies, but I will ask it anyways.

Even when I don't have time to keep up on detailing I lole to keep my headlights waxed to prevent if damage down the road. Waxes typically do not last very long for that between the 24/7 exposure and then the highway wind and debris buffing. How long should I wait between reapplications? Can I top with a wax? And will claying remove pp365 should I want a to?

If you want to keep the maximum amount of protection on your headlights, I would guess that because of their high exposure to kicked up dust, dirt and water spray, to wax them 2-3 times a month. I rewax my whole CAR 2-3 (or more) times a month, but that's because I like doing it more than any other reason.

Yes you can top PP365 with a carnauba wax.

As for the claying, I'm not in the camp that says claying will remove wax, I feel that only compounding or polishing with an abrasive will totally remove a strong coat of wax UNLESS you are using a very aggressive clay.

fordf150
Apr 18th, 2015, 04:47 AM
So what's your gut feeling on the Paint Protect guys? Will this truly be Meguairs longest lasting most durable LSP?

Buck91
Apr 24th, 2015, 12:22 PM
If you want to keep the maximum amount of protection on your headlights, I would guess that because of their high exposure to kicked up dust, dirt and water spray, to wax them 2-3 times a month. I rewax my whole CAR 2-3 (or more) times a month, but that's because I like doing it more than any other reason.

Yes you can top PP365 with a carnauba wax.

As for the claying, I'm not in the camp that says claying will remove wax, I feel that only compounding or polishing with an abrasive will totally remove a strong coat of wax UNLESS you are using a very aggressive clay.

I do wax the headlights pretty frequently but want something longer lasting if possible. Will pp365.provide enough uv protection by its self?

The Guz
Apr 24th, 2015, 12:28 PM
I do wax the headlights pretty frequently but want something longer lasting if possible. Will pp365.provide enough uv protection by its self?

What do you currently use on them?

Buck91
Apr 24th, 2015, 03:18 PM
Same sealant as the rest of the vehicle, usually Megs UPW but last fall it got Blackfire Wet Diamond, and then maybe monthly topping with whatever is convenient (currently Pinnacle XMT since it was a free sample otherwise its Megs D156).

The Guz
Apr 24th, 2015, 05:35 PM
You can just use any of those. That should be sufficient. I actually would use ULW or whatever sealant was on the car. I would then use D156 after every wash on my headlights prior to me putting x-pel on them.

paulcr39
May 10th, 2015, 04:59 AM
Here is a pic of my brother's old Camry:
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj50/paulcr39/Our%20wheels/0668A53D-84B7-423B-86E5-0FEF96314349_zpskzxgkmk3.jpg
Beading nicely. Car sits outside 24/7.

I was going to post up today's pic showing the beading, but it looks just like this one from 6 weeks ago. That and my finger blocked a good part of the pic...

So that's four months-ish sitting outside getting covered in road salt, bird turds, pollen and atmospheric junk plus it only has been washed by whatever liquid has fallen from the sky. I am impressed by it's durability. Thinking I'll go do the Dart this afternoon and see how this works through the summer. From what the Camry is showing me next winter ought to be a breeze for this product.

JKUCSMA
May 10th, 2015, 06:08 PM
I was wondering if the Paint protect would keep brake dust from sticking to the wheels, so it would be easier to remove?

davey g-force
May 10th, 2015, 06:12 PM
It would certainly help, but I think there would be better products for that.

BDB (Brake Dust Barrier) is made just for what you mentioned.

Also, even though it's durable, PP365 is not very slick (I hear), so another sealant like UW might be better at repelling brake dust.

JKUCSMA
May 10th, 2015, 11:35 PM

Also, even though it's durable, PP365 is not very slick (I hear), so another sealant like UW might be better at repelling brake dust.

Thanks, thought it work since wheel is clear coated.

Michael Stoops
May 11th, 2015, 09:18 AM
I was wondering if the Paint protect would keep brake dust from sticking to the wheels, so it would be easier to remove?
Theoretically, any wax or sealant can be applied to wheels to make future cleaning easier. The environment presented by this location is pretty severe, however, and can fairly quickly degrade a typical carnauba wax so synthetics are highly recommended.

Unfortunately, Brake Dust Barrier has been discontinued. D156 Synthetic Express Spray Wax is commonly used on wheels for the very reasons being discussed here. It's quick and easy to apply, leaves no residue behind in tight areas, and is extremely durable. D156 would be our first recommendation for someone looking to wax their wheels.

JKUCSMA
May 11th, 2015, 10:07 AM
Thanks

davey g-force
May 11th, 2015, 11:06 AM
Unfortunately, Brake Dust Barrier has been discontinued.

Thanks Mike. Wow, I didn't know that.

02Rodeo
May 14th, 2015, 02:46 PM
Thanks Mike. Wow, I didn't know that.
Is it better to wax before or after pp365...and is Ultimate Polish still available...I do see Mirror glaze in stores now..

davey g-force
May 14th, 2015, 03:03 PM
You would want to wax AFTER applying PP365, and letting it cure.

It's not required though, just personal preference.

The Guz
May 14th, 2015, 03:43 PM
Unfortunately, Brake Dust Barrier has been discontinued. D156 Synthetic Express Spray Wax is commonly used on wheels for the very reasons being discussed here. It's quick and easy to apply, leaves no residue behind in tight areas, and is extremely durable. D156 would be our first recommendation for someone looking to wax their wheels.

That's sad to hear. Brake Dust Barrier is a very good product and very durable. It had it's quirks. Although D156 is easy to use and can be used after every car wash. Based on the MSDS it can survive the high temps generated from that area. It worked well on wheels when I was using it prior to the coating I am now using.

Is it better to wax before or after pp365...and is Ultimate Polish still available...I do see Mirror glaze in stores now..

Ultimate Polish is still available. I see it locally all the time. In my honest opinion just use 365 as a stand alone product as it was intended to take full advantage of it's properties. That's what I have done as I am testing it out. If you top it, you have essentially changed the surface tension to that of the topper. If you are looking for gloss then polish prior to applying as 365 will not add shine or gloss. If your car is light in color there is no difference in appearance from 365, M21 or UW to the naked eye.

Hernandez.Art13
May 15th, 2015, 12:58 AM
Cellphone shots

http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w506/ScreamKingArt/11245305_852834361432077_94172754_n_zpswcgpaco3.jpg (http://s1079.photobucket.com/user/ScreamKingArt/media/11245305_852834361432077_94172754_n_zpswcgpaco3.jpg.html)

^ Just cleaned it up with D114

http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w506/ScreamKingArt/11262244_852834358098744_837718202_n_zpsszwisgox.jpg (http://s1079.photobucket.com/user/ScreamKingArt/media/11262244_852834358098744_837718202_n_zpsszwisgox.jpg.html)

^ I didn't clay, polish or anything, just did a waterless wash and put paint protect on on the side view mirror. I picked it up at Oreily's today and was eager to try it out.

Also, as I was opening up the bottle, I got some on my sweater and went to run errands with it on my sweater. Smells pretty good, but toxic, nonetheless. I then went to wash my hands hours later with the liquid still on my sweater. I checked if my sweater beaded water and yes it it did lol. (not recommending it be put on one's clothes btw)
I can neither confirm nor deny that I did, but when in doubt, read the label on the back of the bottle. :thankyou1

Hernandez.Art13
May 15th, 2015, 01:05 AM
Finally, I wasn't sure what those grey spots were when I was looking through the pictures on my phone. However, with one thorough final inspection, I determined that I missed a spot. :laughing

Before:

http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w506/ScreamKingArt/11245178_852838074765039_294261125_n_zpsxz4kc1ap.jpg (http://s1079.photobucket.com/user/ScreamKingArt/media/11245178_852838074765039_294261125_n_zpsxz4kc1ap.jpg.html)

After:

http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w506/ScreamKingArt/11262244_852834358098744_837718202_n_zpsszwisgox.jpg (http://s1079.photobucket.com/user/ScreamKingArt/media/11262244_852834358098744_837718202_n_zpsszwisgox.jpg.html)

02Rodeo
May 15th, 2015, 06:29 AM
That's sad to hear. Brake Dust Barrier is a very good product and very durable. It had it's quirks. Although D156 is easy to use and can be used after every car wash. Based on the MSDS it can survive the high temps generated from that area. It worked well on wheels when I was using it prior to the coating I am now using.

Ultimate Polish is still available. I see it locally all the time. In my honest opinion just use 365 as a stand alone product as it was intended to take full advantage of it's properties. That's what I have done as I am testing it out. If you top it, you have essentially changed the surface tension to that of the topper. If you are looking for gloss then polish prior to applying as 365 will not add shine or gloss. If your car is light in color there is no difference in appearance from 365, M21 or UW to the naked eye.I have a 2002 Rodeo It's black..paint has high gloss..I would assume that Mirror glaze is better than Ultimate polish..Does 365 replace wax or can you still wax and then 365..

The Guz
May 15th, 2015, 07:14 AM
It's not about being better. Each line is targeted to a specific market. 365 is another paint protection product. It would be used in place of any wax. It's designed to be a stand alone product. If you put it over a wax it could change the longevity of it since it's not bonding to the paint but rather on top of something else. So you may not see it last the 52+ washes. If you put a wax over it, then you don't see the water beading effects of it. You see the water beading or sheeting of whatever product is applied on top. Think of it this way. 365 is meant to be used by someone who doesn't have the time to wax their vehicle multiple times a year. One would apply this and then maintain with just a normal wash.

The gloss comes from polishing and not by a wax or sealant (synthetic wax). The wax or sealant is meant to protect the work one has done. Now a wax or sealant can change the appearance of the painted surface. 365 will not alter the appearance.

02Rodeo
May 15th, 2015, 07:38 AM
As far as polish goes..Mirror glaze or Ultimate polish..I know Mirror glaze is on the professional level...

The Guz
May 15th, 2015, 10:24 AM
Can't go wrong with either one. The main difference is that M205 has more correcting power where as UP has more polishing oils. For me personally it would be M205.

02Rodeo
May 15th, 2015, 10:43 AM
Thank's Guz...that was my thought to..I haven't been on here in a couple years so I'm getting back into the swing of things..

davey g-force
May 15th, 2015, 12:44 PM
Cellphone shots

http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w506/ScreamKingArt/11245305_852834361432077_94172754_n_zpswcgpaco3.jpg (http://s1079.photobucket.com/user/ScreamKingArt/media/11245305_852834361432077_94172754_n_zpswcgpaco3.jpg.html)

^ Just cleaned it up with D114

^ I didn't clay, polish or anything, just did a waterless wash and put paint protect on on the side view mirror.

Wow. Is that just the lighting / flash in the pic, or did PP365 really shine and darken the appearance of the mirror that much?

If so, there goes the theory that it doesn't impart shine or alter the appearance!!

Love the story about getting it on your sweater btw :D

Hernandez.Art13
May 15th, 2015, 05:49 PM
No, I made sure that the flash was used both times while taking the pictures. So the picture conditions were the same in both pictures posted above. The darkening effect was in fact from the paint protect.

The Guz
May 15th, 2015, 05:56 PM
It won't last that long. It's mostly the carrier oils in it.

Hernandez.Art13
May 15th, 2015, 06:14 PM
Some more Paint Protect usage today. I also transferred some in a small pray bottle I bought at Target for about $1 to see if it would work and in fact it did work and worked really well too. I just sprayed some on a yellow foam applicator pad.

Steps:

1. D114 WW the headlights

2. 1500 sanding grit by hand

3. Rotary buff out the sanding marks with M100 and wool pad

4.Rotary Polished with a foam polishing pad and M205

5. Sealed with Paint Protect.

It's my car so if anything doesn't work out, I'll just do it again, because I am not sure paint protect can in fact be used on headlights. I am really liking this stuff. Looks like it's going to be a great choice when I go off and do 2 step or 3 step jobs on my customer's cars. For 1 step I just use D151.

http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w506/ScreamKingArt/IMG_9831_zpsu6uq3ncn.jpg (http://s1079.photobucket.com/user/ScreamKingArt/media/IMG_9831_zpsu6uq3ncn.jpg.html)

^ Headlights before any detail work was done to them

http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w506/ScreamKingArt/IMG_9840_zps7v3xisnp.jpg (http://s1079.photobucket.com/user/ScreamKingArt/media/IMG_9840_zps7v3xisnp.jpg.html)

http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w506/ScreamKingArt/IMG_9837_zpsgejg5gw2.jpg (http://s1079.photobucket.com/user/ScreamKingArt/media/IMG_9837_zpsgejg5gw2.jpg.html)

^1500 grit sanding

http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w506/ScreamKingArt/IMG_9842_zpshfahlskn.jpg (http://s1079.photobucket.com/user/ScreamKingArt/media/IMG_9842_zpshfahlskn.jpg.html)

^Compounded, polished and Sealed

http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w506/ScreamKingArt/IMG_9844_zpsisgipihe.jpg (http://s1079.photobucket.com/user/ScreamKingArt/media/IMG_9844_zpsisgipihe.jpg.html)

^ I applied it to my headlights this way. Meaning, transferred some liquid to a small bottle and sprayed on the applicator pad. Not directly to the headlights.

The Guz
May 15th, 2015, 06:41 PM
Where have you been hiding?

Hernandez.Art13
May 15th, 2015, 06:48 PM
Where have you been hiding?

I know right, I am still detailing like always. However, I have not had time to head over to Meguiar's HQ's for TNOG, since I have been in school full time. I took 6 classes this semester. Great thing is that only 3 more weeks left and I'm done with this semester. Then 2 week vacation and back I go. I am going to Meguiar's 101 tomorrow. I figured I'll swing by and say hi and get to check out what's going on there.

Buck91
May 24th, 2015, 07:57 AM
Just out of curiosity how critical is the curing time? For example lets say I apply and lightly buff an hour.before a rain shower, will that have any negative effect?

fordf150
Jun 12th, 2015, 07:22 AM

Ultimate Polish is still available. I see it locally all the time. In my honest opinion just use 365 as a stand alone product as it was intended to take full advantage of it's properties. That's what I have done as I am testing it out. If you top it, you have essentially changed the surface tension to that of the topper. If you are looking for gloss then polish prior to applying as 365 will not add shine or gloss. If your car is light in color there is no difference in appearance from 365, M21 or UW to the naked eye.

I've used Ultimate Polish on occasion and it really brings out the pop affect in darker paints. Because of the high content of polishing oils In UP would you want to do an IPA wipe down afterwards and prior to using 365 PP or apply the 365 right over the top of UP?

The Guz
Jun 12th, 2015, 07:55 AM
I've used Ultimate Polish on occasion and it really brings out the pop affect in darker paints. Because of the high content of polishing oils In UP would you want to do an IPA wipe down afterwards and prior to using 365 PP or apply the 365 right over the top of UP?

That's completely up to the user. All of Meguiar's products are intended to work with each other.

DimensionAutoDetailing
Jun 12th, 2015, 09:47 AM
That's completely up to the user. All of Meguiar's products are intended to work with each other.

Ive been told BY MEGUIARS, not necessary..

fordf150
Jun 12th, 2015, 09:48 AM
yeah, but I was thinking more on the idea of whether it would bond to the paint better without the polish. Would the high content of polishing oils in UP affect 365 PP's ability to fully bond to the paint so to speak?

fordf150
Jun 12th, 2015, 09:51 AM

What's not necessary?

The polish is to bring out the gloss, then followed up with 365 to seal everything in. As I stated, would the high oil content in UP affect 365's ability to fully bond vs a thoroughly cleaned surface?

DimensionAutoDetailing
Jun 12th, 2015, 10:46 AM
What's not necessary?

The polish is to bring out the gloss, then followed up with 365 to seal everything in. As I stated, would the high oil content in UP affect 365's ability to fully bond vs a thoroughly cleaned surface?

Trust me, I asked the EXACT same question. I was told that the products are made to work together and that any sort of IPA or prep wipe is not necessary. The oils left behind from either M205 or UP WILL NOT effect the PP to bond, properly. Maybe Mike Stoops can chime in...

The Guz
Jun 12th, 2015, 11:16 AM

I stand by my statement about being user preference. If one decides to remove them then so be it. It won't hurt any thing. If one decided not to remove the polishing oils again it won't hurt anything. It all comes down to what someone feels comfortable with.

Now if someone is using another manufacturers polishes then I would more than likely remove those polishing oils just to be on the "safe" side.

What's not necessary?

This should make an interesting read for you.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/31186-miscible-immiscible-wax-paint-sealant-bonding.html

A little old but still applicable.

Just go from one process to the next, you don'th ave to wash the car in-between processes.

Wash --> Clay --> Clean --> Polish --> Wax

At least when using the Meguiar's product line as our chemist made all the products they know how to make each product build off the results of the previously applied product.

By staying inside a single product line there is Synergistic Chemical Compatibility. (SCC)

:xyxthumbs

Michael Stoops
Jun 12th, 2015, 12:28 PM
If you choose to use a polish prior to applying Paint Protect, whether that be machine application of M205 or hand application of M07 or any other recommended process using any Meguiar's polish or cleaner/polish, there is no need for an IPA wipedown prior to the application of Paint Protect. We have always said this about any of our waxes/sealants, regardless what other companies may state about theirs. If you're using a product that explicitly states in their directions to use a panel wipe of some sort prior to application then you should follow those directions. When staying within the Meguiar's lineup, there is no need to do this. That said, if you wish to use IPA or some other panel wipe prior to applying Paint Protect, that is certainly fine as well. You just don't have to.

fordf150
Jun 17th, 2015, 01:32 PM
Got a chance to try the PP 365 today. Very easy to apply and wipe off and for that this product receives a 10 out of 10 rating. PP does seem a bit on the oily side when you apply, but after 5 minutes it wiped off effortlessly. Prior to waxing I polished the vehicle, which is a darker red color with Ultimate Polish and then used Ultimate Paste Wax on all but one half of the trunk which I used PP 365 in a comparison. I have to say if the UPW is supposed to leave a glossier finish than PP 365, than my eyes can't see it. No doubt some of gloss is due to the polish i applied before hand, but IMO they looked equal. The PP felt like a slicker finish after wipe off IMO.

For $10 It's a no-brainer for me.

davey g-force
Jun 17th, 2015, 02:16 PM
Got a chance to try the PP 365 today. Very easy to apply and wipe off and for that this product receives a 10 out of 10 rating. PP does seem a bit on the oily side when you apply, but after 5 minutes it wiped off effortlessly. Prior to waxing I polished the vehicle, which is a darker red color with Ultimate Polish and then used Ultimate Paste Wax on all but one half of the trunk which I used PP 365 in a comparison. I have to say if the UPW is supposed to leave a glossier finish than PP 365, than my eyes can't see it. No doubt some of gloss is due to the polish i applied before hand, but IMO they looked equal. The PP felt like a slicker finish after wipe off IMO.

For $10 It's a no-brainer for me.

Nice, keep us updated with durability comparisons! :xyxthumbs

DasBurninator
Jun 30th, 2015, 08:34 AM
Decided to detail the daily beater last night and picked up some PP365 to try out on it.

It turned out nice. A few comments:
It was almost like my applicator was catching and dragging on the surface. Way different feeling than when using a wax or sealant.
It was a bear to remove. I found the longer I left it the easier it was. Humidity was a bit more than normal yesterday here in CO. Could have played a role in that. It made me work for it.
Seems to look decent on trim. I'll see if that is just the carrier oils though in a week or so when I wash it again.

Obligatory daylight pic:
http://i.imgur.com/fuQRkelh.jpg

The Guz
Jun 30th, 2015, 08:52 AM
Looking good. Keep us updated on how long it lasts.

davey g-force
Jun 30th, 2015, 11:13 AM
Your beater looks better than 90% of the cars out there!

Strange about the removal of the product...

DasBurninator
Jun 30th, 2015, 12:25 PM
Your beater looks better than 90% of the cars out there!

Strange about the removal of the product...

Thanks. The car has been in the family since new and I've always been the one to take care of it. It's far from perfect, but well maintained.

I'm almost wondering if my applicator was contaminated with another product. It was a clean app, but I've used it with another sealant before... I still haven't touched the hood. Maybe I will grab a new applicator and see if it does it again.

The Guz
Jun 30th, 2015, 12:47 PM
I noticed the removal to be a little more difficult than ultimate wax or M21 as it is on the more oily side.

DasBurninator
Jun 30th, 2015, 01:12 PM
I was having way more trouble than UW. Like having to chase residue down. Thought it was my towel at first, so I switched and got the same results.

It's rare that I get physically tired from taking off an LSP, but I was worn out last night. Going to grab a brand new applicator tonight and see if there was some cross contamination from the app I tried before.

Coldazice
Jul 1st, 2015, 07:09 PM
Can this be used in place of wax or is wax supposed to be done also?

It says no rub, so how do you apply and take off if no rub.

Can or should this be applied to chrome and plastic chrome and cast aluminum stock wheels (motorcycle) not tires.

The Guz
Jul 1st, 2015, 08:27 PM
This is used in place of a wax.

It's applied like a wax but it doesn't haze. The bottle states it can be applied and removed within minutes. You can use it on those surfaces you listed.

Sleper
Jul 6th, 2015, 09:33 AM
Tried it on the weekend on my daily driver which is a dark grey Impala. it went on eazy but I could not get it to wipe off. Put in on with a rotary buffer. Only sprayed the applicator pad once and did the whole car. Made the plastic look great. finally washed the vehicle a second time to get the product off so that it did not look smeared? Tried wiping off 4 times with different cloths? Finally washed a second time? Thought possibly too much product but it should have wiped off NO?

DasBurninator
Jul 6th, 2015, 10:08 AM
Tried it on the weekend on my daily driver which is a dark grey Impala. it went on eazy but I could not get it to wipe off.

I had similar issues with removal, but I was applying by hand. Thin coat. Curious what was the humidity like when you applied it?

DasBurninator
Jul 6th, 2015, 10:18 AM
D156 on the hood. About a week old
http://i.imgur.com/cNQGhZ8h.jpg

PP365 on the roof. About a week old.
http://i.imgur.com/e41g7Xnh.jpg

On horizontal panels:
http://i.imgur.com/edhVfTQh.jpg

As far as the beading properties that I have seen so far with PP365, it is almost as good of beading as the CQuartz UK car I coated. I doubt it will keep up in the long run though.

davey g-force
Jul 6th, 2015, 10:55 AM
^^ wow that's good beading. Better than others I've seen with PP365.

Sleper
Jul 6th, 2015, 11:17 AM
I had similar issues with removal, but I was applying by hand. Thin coat. Curious what was the humidity like when you applied it?Was not very humid. Even went for a 10 minute drive in the sun to take my son home. Looked at it again in the sun at lunch and you can still see some on the hood that has not been removed. Will wipe again tonight in garage when car is cool

DasBurninator
Jul 6th, 2015, 11:22 AM
^^ wow that's good beading. Better than others I've seen with PP365.

Yeah, it seems to be much better beading than what I have seen posted in tests on here and AGO... Much closer to what is advertised.

And at this point there shouldn't be any carrier oils on the surface. It has rained off and on for a solid 3-4 days here, so I can't imagine there being any left.

Meticulous-Detail
Jul 6th, 2015, 11:54 AM
I still haven't used my PP365 yet and based on reviews I'm not sure I will.

The Guz
Jul 6th, 2015, 11:59 AM
D156 on the hood. About a week old

As far as the beading properties that I have seen so far with PP365, it is almost as good of beading as the CQuartz UK car I coated. I doubt it will keep up in the long run though.

That's good beading. It took 4 months for me to see decent beading. I'm still 50/50 on 365.

I got the same beading results on the hood that's currently on the car and the factory hood off the car.

I still haven't used my PP365 yet and based on reviews I'm not sure I will.

You should at least try it one time on a small panel. Perhaps you will like it.

flyinghammer
Aug 10th, 2015, 09:40 AM
As you might imagine, this goes on quite thin so you'll get many applications from the bottle, just as you would with any other liquid wax.Michael, which wash product that is best compatible with Paint Protect? The Gold Class Car Wash or the Ultimate Wash & Wax? Any other option that you would advise? I want something that works and is simple to manage on an ongoing basis.

Michael Stoops
Aug 10th, 2015, 09:51 AM
Michael, which wash product that is best compatible with Paint Protect? The Gold Class Car Wash or the Ultimate Wash & Wax? Any other option that you would advise? I want something that works and is simple to manage on an ongoing basis.
It doesn't really matter - you can use any of our shampoos with Paint Protect.

flyinghammer
Aug 10th, 2015, 09:54 AM
It doesn't really matter - you can use any of our shampoos with Paint Protect.

Thanks for the quick response! I read the Gold Class Car Wash has a "conditioner" while the UWW has "wax". Is conditioner and wax the same? Could you elaborate a bit to shed some light so I can make the right decision? Thanks! :)

gclark26
Aug 27th, 2015, 03:56 PM
Mike
In the detailing world most ppl want 2 things.
They want a clean car and want it shiny.
Now PP365 does not have the gloss of other Meguiars sealants and waxes but would you say the gloss is sufficient to make most ppl happy?

Michael Stoops
Aug 28th, 2015, 07:11 AM
Thanks for the quick response! I read the Gold Class Car Wash has a "conditioner" while the UWW has "wax". Is conditioner and wax the same? Could you elaborate a bit to shed some light so I can make the right decision? Thanks! :)A conditioner, as included in Gold Class, would be ingredients that both preserve the existing wax you've previously applied and help to maintain the gloss level of that wax. They work to prevent any reduction of gloss from repeated use. A wax, such as found in UWW, is just that - a very small bit of added protection and gloss enhancement. Wash & Wax products that are clear in appearance (ie, you could read a printed sheet of paper while looking through them) use a soluble wax that is darn near impossible to get to stay on the paint when rinsed off. UWW is not clear because it uses a dispersed wax. If you wash in the shade on a cool surface and can leave it sitting on the paint a bit longer than normal (but not so long that it starts to self dry) and then rinse it off with just a steady stream of water from the hose rather than blasting it off with high pressure, you'll maximize the amount of wax that will be left behind. Now, don't expect this to be a substitute for a proper wax application, or that you're suddenly going to have extreme crazy gloss because of it. But if you're beyond picky about these sorts of things, this will help.

Mike
In the detailing world most ppl want 2 things.
They want a clean car and want it shiny.
Now PP365 does not have the gloss of other Meguiars sealants and waxes but would you say the gloss is sufficient to make most ppl happy?Well, we all want our cars clean and shiny, but different people have different definitions for "clean and shiny". From personal experience, even when I think my car looks its worst, I still get compliments on how "clean and shiny" it is. Long ago I stopped rolling my eyes at these comments and just took the compliment. So, to the target audience of Paint Protect, it's more than glossy enough for them. We've said from the introduction of this product that it's all about protection and long lasting beading, and that it's not going to be the "prettiest" wax we make. Still, initial reviews ran counter to that gloss claim. Cool. For a hard core enthusiast, detailing weekend warrior, the kind of guy who's always chasing the very highest gloss level they can achieve.....it's probably not going to be their first choice.

DasBurninator
Aug 28th, 2015, 08:59 AM
Well, we all want our cars clean and shiny, but different people have different definitions for "clean and shiny". From personal experience, even when I think my car looks its worst, I still get compliments on how "clean and shiny" it is. Long ago I stopped rolling my eyes at these comments and just took the compliment. So, to the target audience of Paint Protect, it's more than glossy enough for them. We've said from the introduction of this product that it's all about protection and long lasting beading, and that it's not going to be the "prettiest" wax we make. Still, initial reviews ran counter to that gloss claim. Cool. For a hard core enthusiast, detailing weekend warrior, the kind of guy who's always chasing the very highest gloss level they can achieve.....it's probably not going to be their first choice.

I'm actually pretty impressed with it on my daily beater... For someone who chases the best gloss I can get on my other cars, PP365 does pretty good on a daily. Just different expectations as Mike has stated.

I know its not going to be the greatest gloss, but from 20 feet it looks great. On the hood there is D156 on it as a control for comparison. The hood seems to get dirtier quicker. For whatever that is worth. Guess I should wash it and post an update this weekend.

The Guz
Aug 28th, 2015, 09:26 AM
On light colored cars it won't matter. I did ultimate wax, m21 and 365 side by side on silver and there is no distinct difference in appearance. The gloss came from using M205 to prep the surface. I would expect this on lighter colors.

DasBurninator
Aug 28th, 2015, 09:35 AM
On light colored cars it won't matter. I did ultimate wax, m21 and 365 side by side on silver and there is no distinct difference in appearance. The gloss came from using M205 to prep the surface. I would expect this on lighter colors.

This brings up a good point. Gloss is mostly in the prep work.

Eldorado2k
Aug 28th, 2015, 09:40 PM
Paint Protect darkened the paint on my emerald green hood when we tested it next to UPW. We all saw it.. [Detailing Art, The Guz, and many others] So as far as it making a positive difference in the looks department I'd have to say yes it does, at least initially. I'd have to say it's due to the carrier oils in the product. But dang they sure made a noticeable difference. Period.

DasBurninator
Aug 31st, 2015, 08:30 AM
Paint Protect darkened the paint on my emerald green hood when we tested it next to UPW. We all saw it.. [Detailing Art, The Guz, and many others] So as far as it making a positive difference in the looks department I'd have to say yes it does, at least initially. I'd have to say it's due to the carrier oils in the product. But dang they sure made a noticeable difference. Period.

I noticed this effect as well.

Update on the daily beater:

Washed it for the first time in like a month yesterday (treating it like a normal person would.... for the most part).

Beading shots were after I had done a pooling rinse, so not the best example, but still seems to be holding up very well. Hood was the the only part that didn't have PP365 on it, just D156 as a control for the test. Ended up compounding the hood with some AP Compound, then applying PP365 to the hood as well.

Roof:
http://i.imgur.com/uK8j0KYh.jpg

Hood:
http://i.imgur.com/PNf6nwih.jpg

Full car shot:
http://i.imgur.com/PNf6nwih.jpg

Engine bay cleanup shot for good measure. Hyperdressing @ 3:1 seems to work well for engine bays and wheel wells.
http://i.imgur.com/YFcrSaph.jpg

Eldorado2k
Aug 31st, 2015, 06:54 PM
What kind of car is that?^

DasBurninator
Sep 1st, 2015, 07:00 AM
What kind of car is that?^

Nissan Pathfinder
http://i.imgur.com/dcJVkF1h.jpg

fordf150
Sep 10th, 2015, 02:08 PM
Maybe a question for Michael Stoops, but I'll take comments from anyone. Theoretically, would washing in a tunnel wash significantly shorten the lifespan of PP365 vs a hand or rinseless wash with a Meguairs product?

I ask because winter time here in Minnesota for me means tunnel washes and I suspect the soaps used in them are fairly concentrated.

Michael Stoops
Sep 10th, 2015, 02:24 PM
Maybe a question for Michael Stoops, but I'll take comments from anyone. Theoretically, would washing in a tunnel wash significantly shorten the lifespan of PP365 vs a hand or rinseless wash with a Meguairs product?

I ask because winter time here in Minnesota for me means tunnel washes and I suspect the soaps used in them are fairly concentrated.
It's doubtful that the soaps are highly concentrated as that would mean more money spent by the establishment. Plenty of tunnel car washes use our soaps and they definitely are NOT harsh. But what is, or can be, harsh is the physical, mechanical action of the brushes that work in conjunction with the soap to clean the car. Remember, those things can and will scratch paint if not properly maintained, and proper maintenance through a Minnesota winter is tough!

Drive through touchless washes are a whole different story. While there is no mechanical action used to remove dirt from the paint surface, they do use harsh detergents and/or a combination of an acid wash/alkaline rinse. That one-two punch of pH extremes will strip any wax or sealant pretty darn quickly.

fordf150
Sep 10th, 2015, 02:38 PM
Thanks Mike. We have both the touchless and the ones that use (not brushes) but rather what appears to be strips of cloth of some sort. Totally get the Physical action of the touch style washes on the paint. I have been pretty diligent about doing a really good detail, especially in fall before the temps start getting cold with a good sealant such as UPW in the past and have noticed that it does hold up fairly well deep into winter. Earlier this summer i applied some PP365 for the first time roughly mid June and while i still see decent beading as of now almost 3 months, it doesn't see nearly as many washes as would be the case during winter months with the amount of product they put on the highways around here. Just trying to decide which might be the better product to get thru a Minnesota winter. :confused:

Sniper_Merc
Sep 12th, 2015, 02:32 AM
A relative newbie to the detailing world.

My Results with Paint Protect on my 2011 RAM 1500 SLT in Deep Cherry Red. One thing of note here, while I was applying the Paint Protect I got a bit of it on one of my black plastic parts, and it actually looks just as good as if I had used the Ultimate Black Restorer on it, so I actually wound up taking my bottle of the Black Restorer back to Oriley's (sorry Meguiar's you made a dual duty product in Paint Protect ;) ) The beading pictures were taking 2 hours after application as it rained here in Ol Omaha NE, that day.

Process: Truck was compounded a year ago, Scratch X 2.0 was used where necessary, multiple washes to ensure everything was cleaned before using the clay kit, Ultimate Polish, then Paint Protect. (I would still like to top this with some Gold Class wax)

First two pics were taken the day after the beading pics below.
http://i.imgur.com/i48mvaml.jpg (http://imgur.com/i48mvam)

http://i.imgur.com/IktkYbhl.jpg (http://imgur.com/IktkYbh)

I am definitely impressed with the beading ability of Paint Protect (note that I couldn't wait the 24 hours before full cure cause it rained just 2 hours after finishing the application.)
http://i.imgur.com/QAlRoY6l.jpg (http://imgur.com/QAlRoY6)

The shine that it puts on black plastic is just great, and obviously beads like mad.
http://i.imgur.com/9HF5ecNl.jpg (http://imgur.com/9HF5ecN)

http://i.imgur.com/zfYhklPl.jpg (http://imgur.com/zfYhklP)

A few glamour shots, had to wait to do them cause buddy went and took off with my Hot Shine Tire Foam ;)
http://i.imgur.com/Sp49mGcl.jpg

(http://imgur.com/Sp49mGc)http://i.imgur.com/Q3Igv1Ol.jpg (http://imgur.com/Q3Igv1O)

http://i.imgur.com/esSB6vtl.jpg (http://imgur.com/esSB6vt)

paulcr39
Sep 12th, 2015, 06:23 PM
:goodjob2

Welcome to the forum.