PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Black Plastic Restorer

Michael Stoops
Oct 24th, 2014, 03:10 PM
Ultimate Black Plastic Restorer

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/data/2294/UB_plastic_restore.png

Product Features:

Restores a like-new appearance
Simply apply to a clean, dry surface
Self-leveling
Dries to the touch in minutes
Extremely durable - lasts months thru rain & washing

Part # G16910
Size: 10 oz
MSRP: $9.99

Selectchoice
Nov 4th, 2014, 07:00 AM
I think I need some of this!

jarred767
Nov 4th, 2014, 07:12 AM
Interesting.... is this like the liquid version but just in an aerosol? How does it work if overspray gets on your paint? Seems like that could be an issue, interested to hear more about it.

Michael Stoops
Nov 4th, 2014, 07:28 AM
Yes, this is essentially an aerosol version of Ultimate Black, but the durability is greatly increased. Overspray should be immediately wiped from the paint, but it will come easily if addressed immediately. For larger areas or more complex shapes you might want to mask the paint with a couple widths of masking tape.

RDVT4ME
Nov 4th, 2014, 08:01 AM
Mike,
So this would be a replacement for the discontinued "Trim Restorer" aerosol?

If so, YEAH!

-Bob

Michael Stoops
Nov 4th, 2014, 08:52 AM
Mike,
So this would be a replacement for the discontinued "Trim Restorer" aerosol?

If so, YEAH!

-Bob
Well, yes and no. It can and should be used on all the same surfaces and obviously it's an aerosol delivery, but the chemistry is totally different and durability here will far surpass the older product. Not even close.

AC in OC
Nov 4th, 2014, 12:43 PM
Does this product need to be wiped down after application? It says self leveling, so I'm guessing if your hand is steady and your aim is good a wipe down would be necessary, correct? Also, would this be safe for running boards? Sometimes products like this leave it somewhat slippery.

The Guz
Nov 4th, 2014, 02:34 PM
I would still do a final buff as good practice. Plus cleaning up any overspray.

This is a good product for those hard to reach areas or those vehicles with a lot of trim like an Avalanche or FJ.

I may pick this up and compare it to D4510 on certain areas like the grilles and engine bay.

Michael Stoops
Nov 4th, 2014, 11:16 PM
There is no need for a final wipe down and in fact it is not recommended. Just wipe off overspray immediately and you're good to go.

zhackwyatt
Nov 5th, 2014, 03:33 PM
Unfortunately on my car I have black plastic pieces (maybe 3/4 inch wide) that goes across the entire roof front-to-back. I don't see how I could use this spray w/o making a huge mess and/or wasting a lot of the product. I would have put some plastic sheeting and mask that down to protect a wider area.

What about spraying to a cloth and wiping? Or is there a more durable form of Ultimate Black (non-aerosal) in the works?

The Guz
Nov 5th, 2014, 05:35 PM
Unfortunately on my car I have black plastic pieces (maybe 3/4 inch wide) that goes across the entire roof front-to-back. I don't see how I could use this spray w/o making a huge mess and/or wasting a lot of the product. I would have put some plastic sheeting and mask that down to protect a wider area.

What about spraying to a cloth and wiping? Or is there a more durable form of Ultimate Black (non-aerosal) in the works?

Have you tried cleaning the trim once in awhile with some APC and then applying ultimate black? I have found that ultimate black last a little longer when the surface is cleaned and prepped.

Michael Stoops
Nov 5th, 2014, 09:02 PM

If that's the ONLY black plastic trim on your car, then this may not be the best choice for you. Even so, it certainly can be used on those pieces, but you're very best bet regarding application would be to mask off the area surrounding pretty thoroughly. You can pick up plastic sheeting in a roll that has masking tape pre-applied to an edge: roll it out, stick along the edge, then unfold the masking material and you're good to go. This is the sort of masking system 3M uses with their Paint Defender spray on clear bra and it works great. Unfolded, the masking plastic is usually about 3' wide, which should be more than sufficient for masking against overspray with this product. Application of the masking on both sides of the trim would probably take a couple minutes at most.

We do not recommend spraying onto a cloth and then applying to the surface - it really needs to be spray delivered.

AC in OC
Nov 6th, 2014, 03:17 PM
There is no need for a final wipe down and in fact it is not recommended. Just wipe off overspray immediately and you're good to go.

Thanks for the reply. My 2nd question didn't get answered though. Would this be safe for running boards? Sometimes products like this leave it somewhat slippery. Have you tried it out on running boards?

KBzPTGT
Nov 7th, 2014, 06:06 AM
Have you tried cleaning the trim once in awhile with some APC and then applying ultimate black? I have found that ultimate black last a little longer when the surface is cleaned and prepped.

I have these long black rubber strips on my pearl white car roof also. I agree with this method and it works just as you say. The UB lotion lays down better and seems to last a little longer after a good APC cleaning.

Marc's Mobile Detail
Nov 8th, 2014, 09:55 PM
This product seems like it would also be great to use on hoses during an engine bay detail

Michael Stoops
Nov 10th, 2014, 09:54 AM
Thanks for the reply. My 2nd question didn't get answered though. Would this be safe for running boards? Sometimes products like this leave it somewhat slippery. Have you tried it out on running boards?
No, it does not leave a slippery finish. In fact, it dries totally dry to the touch in a few minutes. No reason at all to not use it on running boards.

AC in OC
Nov 10th, 2014, 05:44 PM
No, it does not leave a slippery finish. In fact, it dries totally dry to the touch in a few minutes. No reason at all to not use it on running boards.

Perfect. I will look for it when it becomes available. Thank you!

Daniel Kinder
Nov 10th, 2014, 07:45 PM
I think this will be a great product and will be waiting to pick up a can or two myself. Since I'm really interested in this product, I have a couple questions about the self leveling and the effect of drying to the touch coming from an aerosol and to hydrate weathered plastic back to new or like new appearance.

1) Does it have Material Saturation Ability?
2) Will it work equally well on colored plastic's?
3) What Flavor or I mean what smell does it offer, if any since's it's coming from an aerosol?
Thanks...

davey g-force
Nov 10th, 2014, 09:00 PM
This could just be the product I've been waiting for to spray on/walk away on grilles and other tight areas.

I'm keen to read some reviews (Guz, I'm looking at you!) :laughing

The Guz
Nov 10th, 2014, 09:30 PM
This could just be the product I've been waiting for to spray on/walk away on grilles and other tight areas.

I'm keen to read some reviews (Guz, I'm looking at you!) :laughing

You're calling me out huh :yelrotflmao. I'll be sure to write one since I am curious about this product as well. Especially in comparing it to D4510.

The Guz
Nov 12th, 2014, 08:11 PM
Posted on Instagram

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff202/theguz07/Detail%20products/A7AAC689-22EA-4E33-98A8-99FF130FA2DE_zpsa7kbljie.png

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff202/theguz07/Detail%20products/1331C3D5-3BD6-4132-8F4F-5285D3C009AD_zpsvrmlkkep.png

davey g-force
Nov 12th, 2014, 08:14 PM
Looks promising!

The Guz
Nov 13th, 2014, 12:37 AM
Hopefully this formula makes it to the current ultimate black trim restorer on the market as a formula tweak. Would be nice to have it last a little longer.

davey g-force
Nov 13th, 2014, 11:48 AM
Yes, agreed.

JET_Fusion
Nov 22nd, 2014, 05:21 PM
The normal Ultimate Black had great final cleaning ability, what would you recommend for cleaning before the aerosol?

Bruce Devilbiss
Nov 22nd, 2014, 05:33 PM
Is this the same as Chemical Guys Black on Black? if is is I will be changing.

The Guz
Nov 22nd, 2014, 05:36 PM
The normal Ultimate Black had great final cleaning ability, what would you recommend for cleaning before the aerosol?

APC works great for prepping the surface.

The Guz
Jan 4th, 2015, 05:02 PM
It is available on Autogeek.

http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-ultimate-black-trim-restorer-aerosol.html

Eldorado2k
Jan 4th, 2015, 06:15 PM
Finally:)

The Guz
Jan 6th, 2015, 05:34 PM
Finally:)

This one is just for you :cool:

http://www.detailing.com/store/meguiar-s-ultimate-black-tire-restorer-10-oz-aerosol.html

Eldorado2k
Jan 8th, 2015, 08:38 PM
I just stopped by my local Oreillys to see if they've got any new stuff in stock. Of course they didn't. Lol.
But I was able ask them if they're going to have the stuff for sale soon.. I went online using my phone and gave them the part # to the new stuff. They said the new trim is in their system but the warehouse doesnt have the product yet. But it should be availiable soon..

The New Car Scent Protectant was not in their system however. At least not yet.

I cant see myself paying $7 to ship jist 1 item. I've already splurged and ordered a few things recently. Most of which hasnt even arrived yet..

The Guz
Jan 8th, 2015, 09:47 PM
I'm sure you can find something else to order lol.

Eldorado2k
Jan 8th, 2015, 10:15 PM
Yea that's the other problem, 1 thing leads to $40-$50 worth of stuff because I just can't help myself. Lol.

Ugh I do however regret passing up on another gallon of D143 while the Geek had their end of year sale. It would've been $12 shipped. Kicking myself for passing that up as my gallon is half empty and it's near impossible for me to find locally.. I had my cart full of stuff but put alot of it back because I had ordered stuff just the week before. Live & learn. Lol

Jeepster04
Jan 9th, 2015, 09:13 AM
I ordered a gallon of D143 during the sale!! Just rubbing it in. :)

Eldorado2k
Jan 9th, 2015, 07:41 PM
Ha! I recently had to mix up a new bottle of D143, but this time I mixed it at 2:1...

Ok back to Ultimate Black Trim Restorer.

Phimp27
Jan 10th, 2015, 12:10 AM
I was at Detailing.com in Irvine yesterday and they had all the new meguiars stuff there. So of course I had to buy some things. I didn't buy the restorer but was really tempted too. I'm not sure what part of LA your in but I drove from Ontario to there and it's about 40 miles. Might be closer to you. They have everything there too. You can order online and pick up. It'll save shipping. Only bad thing is you'll end up spending a lot of money there.

Eldorado2k
Jan 10th, 2015, 12:23 PM
I'm in South LA over by San Pedro.. Google map says the store is 40miles away.. And considering I drive a Cadillac, I'll be about $15 worth of gas round trip. That's why at the end of the day, the $7 shipping aint all that bad:p

I drive down to Irvine for TNOG, but there's never time for me to go to that store as I head towards Meguiars leaving work and just bearly make it on time.

What'd you buy?

Phimp27
Jan 10th, 2015, 08:41 PM
Yeah that's true. But gas is cheaper now lol. I drive a 99 explorer so it eats gas too. But sometimes I like going to the store and looking at the products myself.

I bought some Rupes pads and the new meguiars backing plate for my sander. I also got the new citrus air freshener and I was gonna buy the paint protect but they were sold out.

Eldorado2k
Jan 10th, 2015, 09:46 PM
I bought the new car air freshner today. I ended up placing an order online and got a bunch of goodies. Lol.
I bought this new Ulimate Black Trim Restorer as well.

The Guz
Jan 22nd, 2015, 08:20 PM
Mine came in. I found it interesting stating the durability lasting even after 100 washes. Would be great to have this kind of durability in the lotion version.

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/data/2326/medium/IMG_26412.JPG

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/data/2326/medium/IMG_26422.JPG

davey g-force
Jan 22nd, 2015, 08:43 PM
Tell us how you like it! :xyxthumbs

Eldorado2k
Jan 23rd, 2015, 04:07 AM
AG takes Forever to ship to California.... Still havn't recieved mine.

imacarnut
Jan 23rd, 2015, 11:40 PM
AG takes Forever to ship to California.... Still havn't recieved mine.

Keep in mind that DI now offers USPS Priority Mail delivery within 1-3 Days Guaranteed Shipping. They carry a lot of Meguiar's products :)

http://www.detailedimage.com/blog/announcement/now-offering-usps-shipping/

Eldorado2k
Jan 28th, 2015, 12:45 AM
Thx. It's always fun to check out new sites for good deals..

Btw I called the Geek yesterday to find out what's up with my order.. Turns out they'd held off on shipping my whole order of 10+ items due to 1 item being backordered... Ugh.. I guess I can understand it makes finacial sense for them to want to ship once, but cmon now - _ -

Good news is they stepped it up and the tracking info says the rest of my order will arrive on Tues. Can't wait.

The Guz
Jan 28th, 2015, 01:15 PM
Thx. It's always fun to check out new sites for good deals..

Btw I called the Geek yesterday to find out what's up with my order.. Turns out they'd held off on shipping my whole order of 10+ items due to 1 item being backordered... Ugh.. I guess I can understand it makes finacial sense for them to want to ship once, but cmon now - _ -

Good news is they stepped it up and the tracking info says the rest of my order will arrive on Tues. Can't wait.

AGO usually sends out an email if an item is on backorder. I know of a few people who said they did not get anything. But their customer service is top notch. I call them when I get that backorder email and have them split the shipping. For example one time the water magnets were on backorder and that held up my order. The guy threw in 2 cobra guzzlers until they shipped out the water magnets. AGO is great to deal with. All they need to do is offer some different shipping options online.

Now I just need to give this a shot since I received mine.

Eldorado2k
Jan 28th, 2015, 03:34 PM
I didn't get offered any free Cobras for my wait?

The Guz
Jan 28th, 2015, 05:30 PM
He must have been into the holiday spirit. He hooked it up that time.

Eldorado2k
Jan 28th, 2015, 09:11 PM
Well it couldn't have happened to a more deserving guy IMO. After how generous you've been to fellow Meguiars enthusiasts here in the giveaway thread, I'd gladly pass up a free hookup in favor to you bud. Karma has good stuff such as that in store for your kindness towards others :bigups

Jeepster04
Jan 30th, 2015, 09:27 AM
Ive also wondered why the liquid version cant last as long?? Thats one product Ive been HIGHLY disappointed in with Meguiars. Looks fantastic when you put it on and it does last a good bit. Even after wiping it off, it still runs something horrible after a rain. Once its washed off some, it leaves a decent look in the plastic for about a month or so.

It takes me a good 30min to apply that stuff to my Jeep (TONS of plastic). It would be nice to have it last like 3-4 months.

Eldorado2k
Feb 5th, 2015, 12:39 AM
I finally got my goodies:)

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e208/Eldorado2k/image_zps96e7e7c0.jpg (http://s40.photobucket.com/user/Eldorado2k/media/image_zps96e7e7c0.jpg.html)

The Guz
Feb 5th, 2015, 11:57 AM
Sweet. Do you have a test subject for ultimate black? Let me know how the headlight kit works out when you use it. I just corrected my dad's lenses but used opti-lens, which is awesome by the way. But of course more costly then the Meguiar's kit. Headlight protectant is very good as well.

You're going to like that air refresher. It's been 10 weeks since the last time I used one and the air refresher is still going strong.

Eldorado2k
Feb 5th, 2015, 09:55 PM
Well I had originaly planned to use it on my parents new Kia, because when I wash it, I use a separate yellow colored microfiber sponge for the bottom trim and it always seems to leave the media black, but it doesn't just look like normal grime, it almost looks as if I'm washing off the Ultimate Black Gel I had previously applied.. That has always made me feel like it was no longer on there after washes and I've been interested in something more durable. That's why I've been waiting for this new UB.

But after reading your innitial review it made me think about restoration before preservation. Plus the overspray makes me want to get a hands on feel before I go fiddling with it on the brand new Kia. So it's a good thing my dads Tacoma is once again in need of trim help. The D4510 has worn off and it's going to get a taste of this new UB asap. I'll post pix.

The Guz
Feb 5th, 2015, 11:44 PM
I just heard something interesting from Jason Rose listening to Larry of Ammo NYC's podcast. The question came up about how to clean and protect trim. Jason mentioned using a brush with car wash soap while washing the car. About the size of a tooth brush but a little stiffer. Then just apply some sort of trim protectant on it. I typically use APC and small Mothers detailing brush to clean exterior trim prior to washing the car.

I actually did a trim test with the lotion version of ultimate black comparing it to some other trim products. I cleaned the surface with APC. I let it sit outside in the elements and would just wash it with car wash soap. It actually lasted about a month. So when you are washing it, you are actually removing dirt and grime that has accumulated on the trim. Especially if it is textured. It did fade after a few washes but you could still see it was on the trim seeing as I left a tape line. I'm hoping that the lotion version gets a formula tweak to make it last longer. By the way the winner of the trim test was Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant. Great stuff but costly.

By the way these things work great when using an aerosol product. You can pick one up for $7 at home depot.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum-Stops-Rust-High-Performance-Comfort-Spray-Grip-Accessory-241526/100670383

http://cdn3.volusion.com/yvfdk.zqujw/v/vspfiles/photos/COMFORTGRIP-2.jpg?1400359892

Eldorado2k
Feb 6th, 2015, 01:35 AM
I'd be a bit too cautious to use that sort of brush, especially on new trim, but that's just me.
Yea the plastic trim down there is textured. Are you saying it'd be even more likely to hold onto dirt because of that? That does make sense. The part that makes me wonder is the door panel just above the trim is never quite as dirty on my mitt as what comes off that trim. Thanks for the info.

As far as prepping trim, I like to spray a mesh bug sponge with APC then scrub any plastic trim just after the innitial rinse prior to washing the vehicle. Then I rinse the APC off the trim and wash/dry the whole car which leaves the trim ready for new application.

Eldorado2k
May 10th, 2015, 07:03 PM
I decided to buy a new can of this and apply it to the weathered and faded truck bed of my dads Tacoma.

This is what it looked like before. [some rain on it from a day ago]

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e208/Eldorado2k/image1_zpsdf6f6855.jpg (http://s40.photobucket.com/user/Eldorado2k/media/image1_zpsdf6f6855.jpg.html)

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e208/Eldorado2k/image2_zps1d710d27.jpg (http://s40.photobucket.com/user/Eldorado2k/media/image2_zps1d710d27.jpg.html)

I prepped the surface with D101. Then sprayed the entire bed. Here's what it looks like now.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e208/Eldorado2k/image3_zpsdfe2c7f2.jpg (http://s40.photobucket.com/user/Eldorado2k/media/image3_zpsdfe2c7f2.jpg.html)

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e208/Eldorado2k/image4_zps951951bb.jpg (http://s40.photobucket.com/user/Eldorado2k/media/image4_zps951951bb.jpg.html)

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e208/Eldorado2k/image5_zpsd76b30c5.jpg (http://s40.photobucket.com/user/Eldorado2k/media/image5_zpsd76b30c5.jpg.html)

It worked really well. Looks like brand new.
It helps to wear a respirator mask when doing this. I used up a whole can.

BillE
May 11th, 2015, 03:37 AM
That came out nice!

Just a couple 'o questions...did it leave the liner 'slippery'? Wonder how it would work on a spray in liner (Line-X type)?

Bill

Eldorado2k
May 11th, 2015, 04:22 AM
Nope, it's not slippery or greasy. That's 1 of the reasons it took me so long to do this, because I have Hyper Dressing and Ultimate Black Gel, but I knew those would have a high chance of leaving it slippery.. But the good thing about this new aerosol is when it dries, it's dry.

I got much better coverage holding the spray about 3 inches away instead of the recommended 6.

I'm not sure whether it'd work on those spray on type hardened liners. Maybe Mr. Stoops can answer that question?

Side note: I tried applying Ultimate Black Gel on the plastic molding around the tires of this truck.. I used had this Ultimate Black Aerosol on the moldings a couple months ago and wanted to try and top them off to see if they could darken a bit more... But it seems this aerosol coating cannot be penetrated? The UB Gel did nothing to it.

Michael Stoops
May 11th, 2015, 09:21 AM
That came out nice!

Just a couple 'o questions...did it leave the liner 'slippery'? Wonder how it would work on a spray in liner (Line-X type)?

Bill
While it would be perfectly safe to use on that type of liner, it may or may not give you the result you're looking for. We just never tested it on that surface since that's not the regular intended use for this product. Something tells me, however, that it will actually work quite nicely on a spray on liner.

BillE
May 12th, 2015, 04:12 AM
Weeeell...looks as if I'm going to HAVE to give it go. I'll report back, "gotta get me some" first.

Thanx for the info guys...

Bill

The Guz
May 16th, 2015, 03:43 PM
Gave it a shot on this grey engine cover to see what it would do on trim that is not black. It's overkill for the engine bay but I gave it a whirl.

This is off my mom's 96 Regal.

Cleaned it with D103 and the small Mothers detail brush.

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/data/2326/IMG_3302a.jpg

After applying ultimate black to it.

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/data/2326/IMG_3304a.jpg

One up close

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/data/2326/IMG_3306a.jpg

Eldorado2k
Oct 24th, 2015, 09:40 PM
Just in case anyone's in need of removing this from their plastic trim, I called Megs cust. care hotline and Brendan suggested isopropyl alcohol.. That didn't work a lick.. So then I tried ethyl alcohol, that also didn't work.

I finally found out what Will remove it from the trim, D108 and a Magic Eraser. D101 will work as well but the Super Degreaser seems to work alot faster.

The Guz
Oct 24th, 2015, 09:55 PM
I could have told you that IPA doesn't work on this LOL.

Are you removing it from actual trim,paint or glass? I can see why the magic eraser would work as it is a bit abrasive.

Eldorado2k
Oct 25th, 2015, 01:27 AM
I'm removing it from the actual trim [on the Tacoma] that I put it on a few months back. If you recall, I didn't have optimum results with it's application and I want to go back to using D4510 on that trim. IMO the D4510 is much darker and applies perfectly even. I'll have to re apply every 2-3 weeks, but I'm ok with it.

willowcatfish
Dec 5th, 2015, 08:04 PM
Gave it a shot on this grey engine cover to see what it would do on trim that is not black. It's overkill for the engine bay but I gave it a whirl.

This is off my mom's 96 Regal.

Cleaned it with D103 and the small Mothers detail brush.

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/data/2326/IMG_3302a.jpg

After applying ultimate black to it.

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/data/2326/IMG_3304a.jpg

One up close

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/data/2326/IMG_3306a.jpg
That Turned out Beautifully!

The Guz
Dec 5th, 2015, 08:15 PM
Thanks. You reminded me to check and see how it is holding up.

The aerosol is great for some items.

theamcguy
Jul 20th, 2017, 06:24 AM
Has anybody else had a problem with this product turning white after a few weeks? I applied to the trim and it looked great but after a few weeks the coating has turned chalky white in places and looks worse than the faded trim. I am hoping alcohol will remove it.

Nick Winn
Jul 20th, 2017, 07:59 AM
Has anybody else had a problem with this product turning white after a few weeks? I applied to the trim and it looked great but after a few weeks the coating has turned chalky white in places and looks worse than the faded trim. I am hoping alcohol will remove it.

Hi theamcguy,

First, sorry to hear about your trouble. We would encourage you to contact our Solutions Hub at 800-347-5700 or customercare@meguiars.com. Our Surface Care Specialists can work with you to gather the details of your issue, and work to provide a remedy.

Nick

syswizard
Feb 9th, 2018, 08:56 AM
Why isn't this fine product offered in a non-aerosol version ?

The Guz
Feb 9th, 2018, 09:16 AM
Why isn't this fine product offered in a non-aerosol version ?

They do offer it in a non-aerosol version

http://www.meguiars.com/content/global/product/2812_lg.jpg

syswizard
Feb 9th, 2018, 03:38 PM
Thanks for that Guz...
Damn....Advanced Auto only had the aerosol version...which I just purchased.

syswizard
Feb 10th, 2018, 10:02 AM
but the Super Degreaser seems to work alot faster.
Will any wax and grease remover work as well I wonder ? I noticed the big problem is the white staining with the body shop products.
The D108 looks promising : free rinsing formula prevents unsightly white residue stains

syswizard
Feb 16th, 2018, 11:09 AM
Guys - I applied the Ultimate Black Restorer but the results weren't that great....mainly because I could not CLEAN the plastic properly.
I used a garden-variety citrus cleaner. So the result was ....streaking....an uneven look.

What say ye to the best plastic cleaner: D101 ? (obsolete), D103 ? D108 ?

Murr1525
Feb 16th, 2018, 01:38 PM
Guys - I applied the Ultimate Black Restorer but the results weren't that great....mainly because I could not CLEAN the plastic properly.
I used a garden-variety citrus cleaner. So the result was ....streaking....an uneven look.

What say ye to the best plastic cleaner: D101 ? (obsolete), D103 ? D108 ?

What was on it that needed cleaned off?

I always just use Meguiars All Purpose Cleaner for stuff like that first, maybe a terry cloth to work it in better.... but other brands are similar.

syswizard
Feb 16th, 2018, 04:03 PM
What was on it that needed cleaned off?

That's the "big problem"...I don't know what the heck was on there !! I'll bet some Armorall...tough to remove.
I think I should have used a medium scuff pad with the citrus...let it soak for 10 minutes, and then scrub.
Instead I used a piece of towel.

BTW: Thanks for that Murr....Go Steelers...I was born and raised there. Miss it for sure.