PDA

View Full Version : Did a #7/#20 today...

Mosca
Apr 9th, 2004, 04:58 PM
I washed with the new NXT wash first; very nice, slick, water sheets, and it leaves a smooth, spot-free surface. I then used the PC with a finishing pad to apply the #7, and removed it with a cotton terry towel & a mf towel. I then applied the #20 with a finishing pad, and removed it with a ub over a polising pad.

Very nice. ULTRA reflective. Not so deep, but REALLY FLASHY.

Sorry, no pics. I have hundreds of pics of my shiny car, and they all look great.

My point is, the old standbys were awesome last year, and the appearance of new products hasn't changed that. They're STILL awesome.

Tom

ebpcivicsi
Apr 10th, 2004, 06:16 AM
Have you tried topping the #20 with #16?

I am sure you have!:D

Apr 10th, 2004, 06:52 AM
Originally posted by Mosca

Very nice. ULTRA reflective. Not so deep, but REALLY FLASHY.

Tom

do you feel that the ultra reflective look would show more flaws than the deep look?

Mosca
Apr 10th, 2004, 12:51 PM
Naw, I see all the flaws anyhow.

I did the #7 first for fill.

I think that depth is a function more of surface cues; if you do a great job of removing flaws, there are very few cues that tell the eye where the sky stops and the paint starts.

If you use a super reflective product, you don't lose depth because of flaws being magnified, you lose depth because the reflections themselves are a huge surface cue.

I've always thought that one of the reasons highly reflective products like Zaino have a reputation for showing swirls is, improper useage by detailers who think that the product is going to do all the work. They apply the product right over the imperfections, then brag about the shine... the shiny swirls.

Meg's cleaner wax and Zymol cleaner wax don't hide imperfections either, but those users aren't posting "shine" pictures onthe internet, nor calling attention to thier $65 wax job.

OTOH, a user of a product like Souveran, or the Meg's pro line, tends to already know about swirl removal.

It's a bit of a hare-brained theory. What I'm trying to say is that there are a lot of clueless Zaino users out there. It's an excellent product in the right hands, but its popularity means improper applications get shown off more frequently. So, you see more swirls with reflective products because more inexperienced users are impressed by reflective products, and use and display them improperly.

Tom

Apr 10th, 2004, 01:50 PM
[QUOIt's a bit of a hare-brained theory. What I'm trying to say is that there are a lot of clueless Zaino users out there. It's an excellent product in the right hands, but its popularity means improper applications get shown off more frequently. So, you see more swirls with reflective products because more inexperienced users are impressed by reflective products, and use and display them improperly.
TE]

:bow well said.

Tim Lingor
Apr 11th, 2004, 02:20 PM
Hey Tom,

Meguiar's #7/#20/#26 combo has been my on-going favorite for years and years! I particlarily liked the look of #7/#20 on white!!

Tim