PDA

View Full Version : wax longevity question

Ron500
Mar 8th, 2016, 04:36 AM
I'm just a bit confused about the frequency of washing to maintain the wax on the paint, because it is recommended to was a car around every 1-2 weeks, but my car is mostly garaged and used occasionally, so most times it is not that dirty, therefore I end up washing it sometimes once a month or longer.

I was wondering does wax still last long even if the car is not washed that frequently, because I thought washing with a premium shampoo (Gold Class in my case) increases the wax's ability to protect.

Sleper
Mar 8th, 2016, 04:41 AM
I find synthetic waxes will last up to 6 months and regular waxes will last about 3 months on daily drivers. If it is garaged it will last longer probably 4-5 for regular and 7-8. IMO

Top Gear
Mar 8th, 2016, 04:46 AM
Well, myths about longevity aside, you should develop a feel for how long the protection is lasting. None of them last very long. Do not trust water beading. Since you have the luxury of a garage, just boost regularly with a quik wax matching your wax or sealant, and then wash and re-wax on your regular schedules.

Ron500
Mar 8th, 2016, 06:18 AM
I use GC wax, so does regular/occasional washing contribute to the longevity of the wax?

BillyJack
Mar 8th, 2016, 07:12 AM
IMO, not washing a garaged car probably extends the protection. Anytime you're rubbing anything over the paint, even a good wash soap or rinseless and wiping dry, you're removing a microscopic layer of the wax film. I last waxed my El Camino in August. I can't remember the last product I used, but it was a "beauty" wax, such as M26 or Wolfgang Fuzion, neither which is known for longevity. It's only been washed 6-8 times since, but I guarantee it would bead and sheet like I just did it last week.

Bill

http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee388/kaminokids/El%20Cam%20forum%20pics/74dbb885-e61a-4487-8d6e-ea2f5ed41177.jpg