PDA

View Full Version : Pad issues

Airborne Ranger
Apr 11th, 2004, 08:47 PM
I was drying off my pads with my PC earlier tonight. All was going well except for when I put the finishing pad on from the NXT.

The polishing pad, dried off and held onto the PC no problem. Now the finishing pad, even though I ring out the pads throughly before I go spinning them on a PC, this one was very frustrating.

I went to attach the finishing pad to the PC and started off on speed 1 to help get rid of any excess water. I noted the PC was shaking very violently but the pad was still hanging on. I kept watching it and sure enough, about 20 seconds later, the pad came flying off the PC!! The pad didn't rip apart it just flew off the machine. Luckiy I still had the speed on 1.

Thing is, I dusted off the debris and put it back on. I centered the pad as best I could, turned the PC back on, still on speed 1 but this time the pad just came right off the instant I flipped the switch to "on" I did this about 4 or 5 times and now I'm worried that my finishing pad is, well,,,,,,finished (no pun intended) This is the only pad that's giving me ****, all the others are holding on just fine.

If it helps any, this is how I wash my pads:

Fill the wash tub up about 1/4 of the way with either dawn or APC Citri Gel and warm water.

I then toss the pads in with the velcro facing up and let them soak for either a couple of hours or overnight.

The velcro does get wet and underwater but from my other pads it doesn't seem to affect them. Only this 1 finishing pad is bothering me. Is my pad done for is there something I can do to fix it? Thanks,,,,,,deadman98

rusty bumper
Apr 11th, 2004, 08:55 PM
Call Meguiars and see if they will make it good deadman.

I am having a similar problem with a W-8006 pad, but I think it is out of balance due to the fact that I used a little RTV to fix a small tear in it....But it could be something else that makes it wobble.

Just not sure yet.

Airborne Ranger
Apr 11th, 2004, 11:39 PM
Hey Rusty,

If you look at the velcro and the way it's pressed onto the back of the pad, you'll notice mine is not centered perfectly like the others. I don't know if this will contribute to it, but I at least have a feeling that's what might be the problem.

Seems lately, I've been getting some bad stuff from Meguiars. First it was a bad bottle of MPPP, now it's a bad finishing pad. Maybe there trying to tell me something:rolleyes: Just Meguiars better keep a sharp eye on there quality control as far as I'm concerned. Just venting,,,,,,deadman98

ebpcivicsi
Apr 12th, 2004, 05:59 AM
The pads are not designed to be washed, so wash at your own risk.

Now I wash mine, but I do not soak them nor do I spin dry them. I would especially advise against spin drying on the PC, I don't think it is good for the pad or the machine. If I was going to spin dry them, I would use the rotary, just my .02.

I wash mine immediatley after using in murphy's oil soap(thanks Don!) then allow them to air dry. I have some pads that are approaching the 1 year mark with MANY uses and no problems.

rusty bumper
Apr 12th, 2004, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by deadman98
Hey Rusty,

If you look at the velcro and the way it's pressed onto the back of the pad, you'll notice mine is not centered perfectly like the others. I don't know if this will contribute to it, but I at least have a feeling that's what might be the problem.

Seems lately, I've been getting some bad stuff from Meguiars. First it was a bad bottle of MPPP, now it's a bad finishing pad. Maybe there trying to tell me something:rolleyes: Just Meguiars better keep a sharp eye on there quality control as far as I'm concerned. Just venting,,,,,,deadman98

If your velcro pad is off centered, then you deserve a new pad from Meguiars...I'll bet that is the root cause of your problem deadman!

Yeah, I've had some problems with MPPC & MPPP wanting to break down on me too. :(

The MPPP was a replacement bottle bottle from Meguiars :eek:

rusty bumper
Apr 12th, 2004, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by ebpcivicsi

I wash mine immediatley after using in murphy's oil soap(thanks Don!) then allow them to air dry.

Is MOS better than hand washing with tide or wisk?

ebpcivicsi
Apr 12th, 2004, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by Rusty Bumper
Is MOS better than hand washing with tide or wisk?

I have never used tide or wisk. I was using dawn, the MOS puts it to shame.

Again, thanks to Don for the tip...

FlaresideLariat
Apr 12th, 2004, 04:46 PM

I wash mine immediatley

What do you mean by 'wash'?

after using in murphy's oil soap(thanks Don!) then allow them to air dry.

How do you use the MOS?

and no problems.

So you've never had problems with your velcro flying off the PC like deadman says? Because of your cleaning method?

rusty bumper
Apr 12th, 2004, 08:24 PM
I'll have to check out MOS...I usually hand wash my pads with a strong detergent, but I try not to wad them up when washing, rinsing, or drying them.

ebpcivicsi
Apr 13th, 2004, 05:04 AM
Originally posted by FlaresideLariat
What do you mean by 'wash'?

How do you use the MOS?

So you've never had problems with your velcro flying off the PC like deadman says? Because of your cleaning method?

By "wash" I mean immediately rinse with water, then place a small amount of MOS on the pad and kneed it with my fingers until it foams and removes product residue. I then rinse it with clean water and ring. I place the pad on a 100% cotton towel until it dries at which time I place it in a new, clean 1 gallon ziploc bag.

Using THIS method, I have never had a problem with the velcro.

When I first started using meg's pads, I did. I attributed those problems to two things. One was soaking the pad for extended amounts of time(typically 30 min.- one hour) in warm/hot water and dawn and two spin drying them on the PC. I think that using the PC to spin dry creates a very violent "jiggle" because the machine is not braced against anything, you can feel it in your arms. I also think that it can cause damage to the PC if you do it enough, even in the owner's manual it states that turning the machine on without having it firmly on a solid surface can sause harm to the machine. If I was going to spin dry my pads, I would use the rotary.

FlaresideLariat
Apr 13th, 2004, 05:09 PM
Thanks... I'll have to get some of that MOS. Where did you get yours?

ebpcivicsi
Apr 14th, 2004, 04:58 AM
Originally posted by FlaresideLariat
Thanks... I'll have to get some of that MOS. Where did you get yours?

I got mine at the grocery store.

FlaresideLariat
Apr 14th, 2004, 06:44 AM
Really? Cool. I'll add that to my list of detailing supplies to buy :D