PDA

View Full Version : Meguiar's D1801 Professional Wheel & Paint IRON DECON

Nick Winn
Oct 26th, 2018, 08:01 AM
Meguiar's D1801 Professional Wheel & Paint IRON DECON (https://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?67026-Meguiar-s-D1801-Professional-Wheel-amp-Paint-IRON-DECON&p=587806)

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/data/2663/D180101_WheelPaintIronDecon_pres_Custom_.png http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/data/2663/D180105_WheelPaintIronDecon_pres_Custom_2_.png http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/data/2663/D201801_IronDeconScndryBtl_pres_Custom_1_.png

This pro-strength unique gel formula will safely & effectively remove embedded iron particles from body panels, wheels and painted brake components. D1801 is also highly effective at removing road grease, grime and dirt from wheels & brakes.

Rapid color-changing iron remover for wheels & paint
pH balanced, safe on all wheels & painted brake components
Clings to wheels to remove road grime, grease & iron
Viscosity tuned for effective distribution over entire vehicle panels, while also clinging to wheels for deep cleaning
Special cleaning package often delivers true touch-less wheel cleaning with pressure rinsing
Be warned - this was built to CLEAN and REMOVE IRON, and come loaded with iron-killing stink!
Ready to Use (Not a concentrate)

Meguiar's Professional Wheel & Paint IRON DECON
Product Number: D180101 / 1 Gallon, D180105 / 5 Gallon
MSRP: $79.99 / 1 Gallon, $319.99 / 5 Gallon
Size: D180101 / 1 Gallon, D180105 / 5 Gallon

juliom2
Oct 30th, 2018, 08:34 AM
Happy with this!!!! Cant wait to see how it works on a white car!!!!

greg0303
Oct 30th, 2018, 11:08 AM
Great addition to Meguiar's Family of Detailer products.

arthuruscg
Oct 30th, 2018, 03:55 PM
Are you going to come out with a dedicated spray bottle? Or is the low pressure sprayer preferred?

Lovemarks
Oct 31st, 2018, 12:20 AM
Any plans on making a 32oz version?, I'd like to get my hands on this but that gallon price is a little too steep, I'd even settle for a 500ml version. So judging by you guys stating it stinks, it doesn't have a nice scent to it?.

Setec Astronomy
Oct 31st, 2018, 05:18 AM
Any plans on making a 32oz version?, I'd like to get my hands on this but that gallon price is a little too steep, I'd even settle for a 500ml version. So judging by you guys stating it stinks, it doesn't have a nice scent to it?.

I highly doubt that there will be a smaller version, that's just not the way things work in the Detailer Line. I actually think the price for the gallon is a very competitive price vs. many of the other similar products. And I guess if you are looking for a nice scent, you are unfamiliar with the "iron-eating" family of chemicals. They have an unpleasant, lingering odor. If you know what hair perm smells like, it's the same, because it's the same family of chemicals.

Nick Winn
Oct 31st, 2018, 08:46 AM
Are you going to come out with a dedicated spray bottle? Or is the low pressure sprayer preferred?

Yes, dedicated, screen-printed, secondary bottle will also be coming out. I just don't have the product images for it yet to display. BTW, this product is RTU (Ready to Use) in case any one is wondering.

No Plans. The pricing is competitive for the size. Does not have a nice scent at all, it stinks like rotten eggs, but, that is kind of the way it is with the color changing ingredient being part of the product, it smells foul.

Lovemarks
Oct 31st, 2018, 10:49 AM
@setec astronomy I know iron chemicals stink but there are other companies out there that try to mask or reduce the stench of the chemical by putting a citrus or berry scent to it that's all I was asking. I'm very familiar with these types of iron eating cleaners and believe it or not there are some that smell worse than others.

Setec Astronomy
Oct 31st, 2018, 06:18 PM
@setec astronomy I know iron chemicals stink but there are other companies out there that try to mask or reduce the stench of the chemical by putting a citrus or berry scent to it that's all I was asking. I'm very familiar with these types of iron eating cleaners and believe it or not there are some that smell worse than others.

They don't all use the same thioglycol, that accounts for the difference in the smell. The lemon scent etc. doesn't really do anything except try to take your mind off of it. The only iron-eater that doesn't smell like that uses a different active and produces more of a red-orange bleed vs. the purple.

Murr1525
Nov 3rd, 2018, 08:24 AM
Is this also going to be good as a tar remover? Or just light grime?

Nick Winn
Nov 5th, 2018, 08:08 AM
Is this also going to be good as a tar remover? Or just light grime?

In most cases, you will likely still need a quality automotive solvent to assist in removing bonded tar deposits.

okboy
Nov 6th, 2018, 02:05 PM
Can use this for weekly normal wash? like use as wash n wax or gold class car wash

Nick Winn
Nov 6th, 2018, 07:33 PM
Can use this for weekly normal wash? like use as wash n wax or gold class car wash

For paint, this is used on an as needed basis, and is not a substitute for a car wash, it is used in addition to a car wash solution.

Nick Winn
Nov 15th, 2018, 11:06 AM
Here is the secondary bottle image, heard some feedback yesterday from a reputable detailer that this is by far the best wheel cleaner he has ever used! Apparently he had some sort of brown rust stain on wheels of his own, which he tried everything to remove. Well after one application of Wheel & Paint Iron Decon, it removed the stain & "made the wheels looks brand new."

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/data/2663/D201801_IronDeconScndryBtl_pres_Custom_1_.png

Nick Winn
Nov 15th, 2018, 03:47 PM
Here are a couple pictures from an upcoming video we filmed on this product! The white car below went from a light due of yellow to a crazy bright white! It was really impressive! The audi wheels at the bottom started turning purple before I could even finish spraying the entire wheel down!

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/data/2663/MOL_2019ProductImages-9_Custom_1_.jpg

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/data/2663/MOL_2019ProductImages-10_Custom_1_.jpg

wht4drfa5
Nov 17th, 2018, 08:06 AM
When will this be available for purchase? Do you use it straight out of the gallon or will it be diluted?

Old Bear
Nov 17th, 2018, 09:47 AM
Meguiar's Professional Wheel & Paint IRON DECON is showing up on some online detail product websites. Two that I checked have estimated ship dates of 30 Nov 2018 for the one gallon size. Check with your favorite provider for their availability.

The product specific screen printed secondary 32 oz refillable bottle appeared on one site with a Dec 16 estimated ship date.

To keep the viscosity the same, I doubt it will be a concentrate.
In Nick Winn's original post for this thread, he mentions:

Viscosity tuned for effective distribution over entire vehicle panels, while also clinging to wheels for deep cleaning

Nick Winn
Nov 19th, 2018, 08:59 AM
When will this be available for purchase? Do you use it straight out of the gallon or will it be diluted?

Meguiar's Professional Wheel & Paint IRON DECON is showing up on some online detail product websites. Two that I checked have estimated ship dates of 30 Nov 2018 for the one gallon size. Check with your favorite provider for their availability.

The product specific screen printed secondary 32 oz refillable bottle appeared on one site with a Dec 16 estimated ship date.

In Nick Winn's original post for this thread, he mentions:

Meguiar's D1801 Professional Wheel & Paint Iron Decon is RTU (Ready to use) and not a concentrate.

Old Bear
Nov 26th, 2018, 06:34 PM
Looking for clarification.

However, the first ingredient on the label is Acetic Acid. This is also the acid commonly found in vinegar.
Based on the molarity of the acetic acid, it can go form a substantial acid to a very watered down state near water.
Since my polished alloy rims can tarnish with acid, could you provide the PH of this new product?

Nick Winn
Nov 27th, 2018, 08:25 AM
Looking for clarification.

However, the first ingredient on the label is Acetic Acid. This is also the acid commonly found in vinegar.
Based on the molarity of the acetic acid, it can go form a substantial acid to a very watered down state near water.
Since my polished alloy rims can tarnish with acid, could you provide the PH of this new product?

Hi Gale,

We would not say it is safe on all wheels & painted brake components if we were not confident in that statement : ). The pH is 6.3 - 7. Keep in mind all the typical recommendations when using wheel cleaners. Use on a cool to the touch wheel, work on one wheel at a time, do not let the product dry on the wheel, & rinse thoroughly.

Old Bear
Nov 27th, 2018, 12:31 PM
Thanks Nick for the feedback.

PH scale goes from 0 to 14. Normally, we think of neutral as being 7.0. However, it is not wrong to have a range for that definition.
Distilled water has a PH of 7.0, salt water 8.0, milk and saliva are about 6.3.
So milk is the stuff in milk shakes that I readily put into my tummy.
That saliva stuff is what the pretty girls used to leave on my cheek when she kissed it.
OK, I can be pretty neutral on that.

Thanks for the update, I did look for my slide rule in case we needed it. I think it must be stored in the same place as my youth.

BillE
Nov 28th, 2018, 05:23 AM
Slide rule? EEEGH-that's how to make SOME folks really feel old! LOL!

Bill

parker23
Dec 5th, 2018, 12:37 PM
Here are a couple pictures from an upcoming video we filmed on this product! The white car below went from a light due of yellow to a crazy bright white! It was really impressive! The audi wheels at the bottom started turning purple before I could even finish spraying the entire wheel down!

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/data/2663/MOL_2019ProductImages-9_Custom_1_.jpg

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/data/2663/MOL_2019ProductImages-10_Custom_1_.jpg

Hi Nick - Is it safe to say this product removes all wax and sealant? Or is an IPA wipe down after second still recommended before applying sealant/wax? Thanks!!

parker23
Dec 13th, 2018, 02:02 PM
Anyone else know if products like this generally remove some or all wax/sealant?

Michael Stoops
Dec 17th, 2018, 10:56 AM
Anyone else know if products like this generally remove some or all wax/sealant?
D1801 may compromise your existing wax to some extent, depending on whether it's a carnauba wax or a synthetic sealant, and how long ago it was applied (ie, how much is really still there). But since this product is generally used as part of a decontamination process prior to more extensive correction work, whether or not it will strip wax is usually not a major concern. Everything else you're going to be doing will take care of that!

Now, if you're asking because you want to strip wax as part of a full decon process prior to machine polishing, then the answer remains the same - it will likely compromise the existing wax at the very least. Again, since you're going to be doing other steps (claying is likely still needed as this product primarily attacks ferrous contaminants) then you'll be pretty effectively killing off that remaining wax/sealant.

If you happen to have a paint coating on the car, this will not knock it down.

parker23
Jan 11th, 2019, 05:23 PM
Thanks!!! Is it better to spray on dry paint and wheels or wet?

D1801 may compromise your existing wax to some extent, depending on whether it's a carnauba wax or a synthetic sealant, and how long ago it was applied (ie, how much is really still there). But since this product is generally used as part of a decontamination process prior to more extensive correction work, whether or not it will strip wax is usually not a major concern. Everything else you're going to be doing will take care of that!

Now, if you're asking because you want to strip wax as part of a full decon process prior to machine polishing, then the answer remains the same - it will likely compromise the existing wax at the very least. Again, since you're going to be doing other steps (claying is likely still needed as this product primarily attacks ferrous contaminants) then you'll be pretty effectively killing off that remaining wax/sealant.

If you happen to have a paint coating on the car, this will not knock it down.

HCAD
Jan 12th, 2019, 11:14 AM
After our first couple of weeks in use, I'm convinced this product is on par with our previous iron (X) decontaminator, and priced better. Thanks for filling another spot in the detailing arsenal.

parker, I'd add that in most cases you'll use this on a wet car, after all you want to wash most of the dirt and debris off before applying the Iron Decon. Where I wouldn't dry the car before applying, it is beneficial to spray it on a surface that has drained itself of MOST of the rinse water after washing. If you apply it while the car is still flooding water off the surface you're likely to wash away a good portion of your Iron Decon. If you apply it to a bone dry area, just make sure that you don't allow the Iron Decon to dry while you're waiting for it to do its job.

So my answer is YES and NO. ;)

Nick Winn
Jan 14th, 2019, 10:18 AM

I would agree with HCAD's recommendation below, regarding whether to use on dry or wet paint.

After our first couple of weeks in use, I'm convinced this product is on par with our previous iron (X) decontaminator, and priced better. Thanks for filling another spot in the detailing arsenal.

parker, I'd add that in most cases you'll use this on a wet car, after all you want to wash most of the dirt and debris off before applying the Iron Decon. Where I wouldn't dry the car before applying, it is beneficial to spray it on a surface that has drained itself of MOST of the rinse water after washing. If you apply it while the car is still flooding water off the surface you're likely to wash away a good portion of your Iron Decon. If you apply it to a bone dry area, just make sure that you don't allow the Iron Decon to dry while you're waiting for it to do its job.

So my answer is YES and NO. ;)

Happy to hear!

xantonin
Feb 13th, 2019, 05:55 AM
This may not be a fair comparison, but I am curious on the differences - how does this compare to Ultimate All Wheel Cleaner?

kaisergrendel
Mar 11th, 2019, 11:27 PM
This may not be a fair comparison, but I am curious on the differences - how does this compare to Ultimate All Wheel Cleaner?

I'd like to know this too. Both are iron decontaminators in a gel preparation.

Mike Pennington
Mar 12th, 2019, 06:40 AM
I'd like to know this too. Both are iron decontaminators in a gel preparation.

As a general statement, D1801 will spread & coat larger painted surfaces better, and it has more active ingredients to make it a bit more powerful, hence the stronger smell.

Hope this helps.

Mike

kaisergrendel
Mar 12th, 2019, 05:38 PM
As a general statement, D1801 will spread & coat larger painted surfaces better, and it has more active ingredients to make it a bit more powerful, hence the stronger smell.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Thank you so much for the clarification. I've ordered a gallon of the D1801.

Could you also tell us if there are other active ingredients in there and what their effects are? I notice the UAWC suds up when I agitate and dissolves non-iron wheel grime like crazy. Will the Iron Decon work similarly?

Mike Pennington
Mar 13th, 2019, 06:18 AM
Keep in mind, D1801 is not just a boosted up UWC, it is actually a formulated differently to focus on the needs of "Pros".

D1801's primary focus is wheel cleaning, so it certainly has a cleaning package focused on the debris and grime that you find on a wheel along with the iron decon package for wheels.

Of course, the iron decon portion/package of the formula is the primary workhorse when it is utilized on the paint.

Hope this helps.

Mike

xantonin
Mar 16th, 2019, 11:41 AM
Thanks Mike, that does help. I ordered a gallon too.

For really bad wheels, after using iron-decon, what would be the next best product for tar/grease break down? Is this where D143 would help/contrast? I'm referring to that yellowish gunk that builds up in corners of wheels..

Thanks again.

Michael Stoops
Mar 18th, 2019, 08:11 AM
Thanks Mike, that does help. I ordered a gallon too.

For really bad wheels, after using iron-decon, what would be the next best product for tar/grease break down? Is this where D143 would help/contrast? I'm referring to that yellowish gunk that builds up in corners of wheels..

Thanks again.
A lot of the yellowish gunk that builds up in the corners is brake dust/iron deposits that are beginning to oxidize. D1801, with some agitation if needed, may well be enough to handle the bulk of that. You may find that in really bad situations you'll need to get into those areas with a clay bar. Wheel Brightener is also a great choice, but since it's acidic you need to be careful about the wheel surface. But for most factory OEM silver painted wheels, it's pretty killer stuff, too.

chrisalvarez
Mar 28th, 2019, 07:11 PM
A lot of the yellowish gunk that builds up in the corners is brake dust/iron deposits that are beginning to oxidize. D1801, with some agitation if needed, may well be enough to handle the bulk of that. You may find that in really bad situations you'll need to get into those areas with a clay bar. Wheel Brightener is also a great choice, but since it's acidic you need to be careful about the wheel surface. But for most factory OEM silver painted wheels, it's pretty killer stuff, too.

Can this be used, or is this safe on glass?

kaisergrendel
Apr 6th, 2019, 06:06 AM
Obsessed Garage just did a pretty in-depth Q&A with Marcus Kleis:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxnamknT9xQ (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxnamknT9xQ)

Skip forward to 2:35 for the D1801 portion.

xantonin
Apr 11th, 2019, 05:00 AM
Obsessed Garage just did a pretty in-depth Q&A with Marcus Kleis:

Skip forward to 2:35 for the D1801 portion.

omg, at about 3:50 in he calls it "fart juice in a bottle" and I cracked up. He's right though - when I first ordered a gallon I had it sitting next to the couch (sealed) and my girlfriend at the time kept complaining about a strange smell when we were watching TV and blaming it on me. :rofl:

arthuruscg
Apr 17th, 2019, 12:38 PM
Would you recommend a normal spray bottle or the garden sprayer like the Rinse free wash and way D-11501?

Nick Winn
Apr 22nd, 2019, 11:54 AM
Would you recommend a normal spray bottle or the garden sprayer like the Rinse free wash and way D-11501?

Hi arthur,

A normal spray bottle works fine, like our D1801 Wheel & Paint IRON DECON Secondary Bottle, product #D201801. You are also welcome to use whatever sprayer you would like, i.e., a hand pump sprayer. A chemical resistant sprayer is recommended.

Cranston37
May 14th, 2019, 04:06 PM
A question on the decontaminating process -

It's my understanding that most people use an iron remover like D1802 then follow it up with a clay bar. I have always been under the impression that clay, by its nature, will at least somewhat mar your paint (which is why you would polish after).

How necessary is the clay step after using D1801? If it's a situation where the spray will get you 80-90% of the way there, I would probably be fine taking the time savings of not claying, but if there's a lot it adds, I'd just bite the bullet and do it...

Nick Winn
May 15th, 2019, 06:03 AM
A question on the decontaminating process -

It's my understanding that most people use an iron remover like D1802 then follow it up with a clay bar. I have always been under the impression that clay, by its nature, will at least somewhat mar your paint (which is why you would polish after).

How necessary is the clay step after using D1801? If it's a situation where the spray will get you 80-90% of the way there, I would probably be fine taking the time savings of not claying, but if there's a lot it adds, I'd just bite the bullet and do it...

A decon step is still not a replacement for clay. Definitely still recommended. Remember decon only removes iron type deposits.

Cranston37
May 15th, 2019, 07:08 AM
Thanks, Nick! Clay it is, then.

My 2 biggest wants for Meguiars products at the moment are a "consumer" size version of D1802 and some kind of synthetic clay mitt, as they make the process so much easier. But I am happy using what is available now!

Nick Winn
May 15th, 2019, 07:14 AM
Thanks, Nick! Clay it is, then.

My 2 biggest wants for Meguiars products at the moment are a "consumer" size version of D1802 and some kind of synthetic clay mitt, as they make the process so much easier. But I am happy using what is available now!

Appreciate the feedback! I will document your comments internally.