PDA

View Full Version : Micro marring on black paint. Please help.

scrub
Jun 20th, 2005, 03:06 PM
For the first time I had a problem with micro marring left behind by a polish pad and #80. I tried almost every product and pad combo I had to fix. The cob webbing was removed but the clear scratch/mar free surface wasn't evident when I inspected with a xenon light or the sun. There appeared to be a haze or fine circular scratches around the light source. The scratches looked like micro fiber lint. The marring was only in the areas I polished which was a few test spots.

Combos I tried:
#80 and polish pad
#80 and finish pad over same area
#2 and polish pad then #80 finish pad
#82 and polish pad
SSR 2.5 and polish pad then SSR 1 and finish pad

I varied how long I worked in the #80 and other products too. I tried new pads.

Luckily this happened on my truck and not a client's. I can't figure out what happened. Last year when I bought the truck I used #80 and NXT with no problems.

I'm lost on this one. Any help would be great. Sorry for no pics.

Mike Phillips
Jun 20th, 2005, 03:28 PM
What did the finish look like before you started, before you ever polished and waxed?

scrub
Jun 20th, 2005, 03:35 PM
The truck was bought brand new in August of 04. The surface had the normal dealer installed cob webs. When I bought the truck I used #80 and topped with NXT and the paint was very clear minus the installed webs. The areas I didn't polish still remain crystal clear but with the wash marks I've instilled while washing the past year.

I'll try to get a pic tomorrow. Upclose pics are hard to capture properly. Hang tight one minute.

Is this the info you're looking for?

Thanks Mike

scrub
Jun 20th, 2005, 03:42 PM
I couldn't get a very good image with the xenon light. I'll have to wait until I can get a sun shot.

Mike Phillips
Jun 20th, 2005, 03:48 PM
This just doesn't sound normal is all. Perhaps you could try using either some M82 or some M09 on a Finishing pad over the area on the 4.0 to 4.5 setting, light pressure and then inspect?

scrub
Jun 20th, 2005, 03:55 PM
I did use #82 but my bottle of product was super watery. I don't recall that kind of consistency when I last used the product. Maybe the bottle is a little old. I will order a new bottle and try #82 again. Thanks for the help so far.